Trip Report The Tuvalu Chronicles ~ Chapter 25 *COMPLETED*

Welcome, welcome, welcome to my 25th trip report.

Over the past five years, I have loved chronicling my WDW adventures with fellow forum readers who share my Disney passion. Writing keeps the magic alive for me. Discussions that result from your comments are icing on the cake! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my posts. (And for those of you who have been following from the beginning ~ THANK YOU!!)

All my reports have been live, live-ish, or shortly-afterwards.....except one. In 2016 I wrote a retro TR detailing my first visit to the park that forever captivated my heart. You can read about it here. Or you can merely mock the photo below which is proof positive I cannot pull off wearing a hat.

7E346929-4002-4A40-B82D-5A96EF7476D0.png

Similar in style to last summer’s novel, this report will incorporate my June, July and August vacations. The ship has already sailed for a live report for June, but I may attempt some live updates in July/August. Or not. :hilarious:

Trip #1
Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: June 8-13, 2019
Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

118537E3-D4CC-4761-9D22-4CF84E735DEB.jpeg

Did we meet the Wicked Queen? Who got shoved in the Haunted Mansion? Did the rain rain rain come down down down? Was there an attraction evac? Did one of us really cause a ride to shut down?

Answers to come!

(Special thanks to @krisri18 for another trip report title! 💕)

A few years ago, the first trip report I read was yours. I was hooked and have been lurking on the boards since. Your reports along with others inspired me to purchase APs for my daughter (15) and myself. We have made 10 trips in the past 2 years from central Arkansas. So thank you for sharing your adventures and I'm excited to read along for your summer reports.

Songbird76

Welcome, welcome, welcome to my 25th trip report.

Over the past five years, I have loved chronicling my WDW adventures with fellow forum readers who share my Disney passion. Writing keeps the magic alive for me. Discussions that result from your comments are icing on the cake! I appreciate everyone who takes the time to read my posts. (And for those of you who have been following from the beginning ~ THANK YOU!!)

All my reports have been live, live-ish, or shortly-afterwards.....except one. In 2016 I wrote a retro TR detailing my first visit to the park that forever captivated my heart. You can read about it here. Or you can merely mock the photo below which is proof positive I cannot pull off wearing a hat.

View attachment 381964

Similar in style to last summer’s novel, this report will incorporate my June, July and August vacations. The ship has already sailed for a live report for June, but I may attempt some live updates in July/August. Or not. :hilarious:

Trip #1
Who: Tuvalu and Em
When: June 8-13, 2019
Where: Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

View attachment 381965

Did we meet the Wicked Queen? Who got shoved in the Haunted Mansion? Did the rain rain rain come down down down? Was there an attraction evac? Did one of us really cause a ride to shut down?

Answers to come!

(Special thanks to @krisri18 for another trip report title! 💕)
Oh honey, NO ONE can pull of that hat. It's not just you.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Friday, June 7

Uh, Tuvalu......think you mistyped that date.

Didn’t your introductory post state your trip dates as June 8 - 13?

Let me clarify. Our “inside the bubble” vacation began on June 8. But we left home on June 7. Em was gifted some Holiday Inn points and we decided to leave a day early. (I’m not sure if that qualifies as @lostpro9het “vacation creep” since we booked an “outside the bubble” resort. He can make the call.) Since we were driving, the extra night would enable us to have an earlier arrival the next day.

A week prior to departure I came down with something that wiped me out. I did not see a doctor because a) busy life and b) each day I believed I would start to feel better.

Only I didn’t. I kept the severity of my symptoms from Em since I didn’t want to worry or disappoint her. I put on a happy face when she arrived to spend the night on Thursday.

Em offered to drive the first leg of our journey. She drove through Dunkin‘ Donuts for coffee before we got on the interstate and was offered a free donut for “National Donut Day.” She picked a chocolate glazed but did not eat it since we had already planned a breakfast stop 100 miles away.

@Rista1313, it was Chick-Fil-A Friday!

84ECADA8-AF5E-4B77-8D72-110A7B82FBAB.jpeg

After fueling our bodies and vehicle, I took my turn in the driver’s seat. We did not stop at the Florida Welcome Center (sorry no palm tree pics, @Darstarr); our next stop was for lunch at Sonny’s BBQ.

740C366B-16CF-467C-AF9C-71F34C79F96D.jpeg

I thought I had gotten off at the same exit for the Sonny’s we had eaten at on Spring Break. But it wasn’t. While the service at this Sonny’s was fast, the food wasn’t nearly as good. And the water tasted funny....like someone had mixed salt into it. Even my flavor enhancer could not overcome the sodium taste. We immediately cracked open a couple bottles of water that we had packed once we were back in the car. And we split the donut for dessert!

A few thunderstorms and a couple of jack-knifed tractor-trailers later, we’d made it to Orlando. Instead of heading directly to the hotel, we detoured to the Vineland Outlet Mall. There was a store I wanted to check out.

It took us forever to find a parking spot. And the one we eventually got was miles away from the mall entrance. It was a hot, sweaty walk and once there, the place was a zoo. So. Many. People. Lots of them were pulling suitcases. At first I thought they were just-purchased suitcases (from the luggage outlet) but no....they were personal bags. It was like being in an airport! Very odd.

Finally found what I was looking for.

AAAD2C98-7E03-474E-B811-CBCEB631CB39.jpeg

I had recently read of some amazing deals to be found in this store. But unless you are into Elena of Avalor or hideous apparel (size S or XXL) that did not sell well in Disney gift shops, this is not the place for you.

We couldn’t get out of there fast enough.

The Holiday Inn was only a short distance from the mall. Em checked us into our “Executive Room.” (That was the room category she booked. She had no idea what it meant.)

The lobby elevators were pretty neat.

5218B924-ADF4-447D-AB32-E6C0B2C1E7D7.jpeg

If “Executive” means large, this room delivered.

FA90E9D5-3DDA-49CD-8AFD-5145106C0130.jpeg

734C0EBE-BB4E-4B2F-8C10-933F6D7E9677.jpeg

814B5977-F270-49E9-87F5-E117405D0FDA.jpeg

7862B6C2-ED15-45EE-ADD6-76F48FFA3DEF.jpeg

We both decided a quick power nap was in order.

But I could not sleep.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
As I lounged I knew I was spiking a fever. I could not hide my illness from Em any longer. I researched nearby urgent care facilities and when Em awakened I said in my most pitiful voice, “I think I need to see a doctor.”

She instantly went into compassionate nurse mode. After she was certain I’d selected the best urgent care center, she drove me there.

5A7E54DD-DE7D-4BD0-8F24-96F1F6E12A14.jpeg

I have nothing but high praise for Buena Vista Urgent Care. The staff, nurses and doctor were caring, professional and thorough. We were in and out in an hour. I was given a steroid shot and 4 medications. The doctor determined that aggressive treatment would be best for fastest healing.

Since I needed to take my first dosage with food, we hunted for a place for dinner. Panera Bread was the winner....their summer corn chowder is delicious!

CC66DDE5-2331-4802-A1C3-F9C44F9E7746.jpeg

Em had the avocado turkey club.

4EFCF7D4-1D37-4E6A-9716-0986B97F5D0C.jpeg

We returned to the Holiday Inn ready to chill and watch Netflix. As we walked toward our building, I noticed a symbol of hope in the sky.

CC5E814E-E8F0-427F-A764-E775DF99E3F1.jpeg

At that moment I knew everything was going to be okay.

Janir

Sorry to hear about the urgent care. Vacation medical issues are no fun! My wife had a dental crown come off while on our last vacation in WDW. Technically Uni as we were doing that first, and I was up all night trying to figure out how to get her help on our dental insurance plan from work. Good thing we drove that trip as we were able to find a place that opened early but it was a good 30 minute drive from our hotel.

When you don't feel good on vacation things can go south in a hurry. Glad you managed to get to urgent care quickly and get on the mend for the rest of your trip. :)

Billy6

As I lounged I knew I was spiking a fever. I could not hide my illness from Em any longer. I researched nearby urgent care facilities and when Em awakened I said in my most pitiful voice, “I think I need to see a doctor.”

She instantly went into compassionate nurse mode. After she was certain I’d selected the best urgent care center, she drove me there.

View attachment 382251

I have nothing but high praise for Buena Vista Urgent Care. The staff, nurses and doctor were caring, professional and thorough. We were in and out in an hour. I was given a steroid shot and 4 medications. The doctor determined that aggressive treatment would be best for fastest healing.

Since I needed to take my first dosage with food, we hunted for a place for dinner. Panera Bread was the winner....their summer corn chowder is delicious!

View attachment 382252

Em had the avocado turkey club.

View attachment 382249

We returned to the Holiday Inn ready to chill and watch Netflix. As we walked toward our building, I noticed a symbol of hope in the sky.

View attachment 382250

At that moment I knew everything was going to be okay.
I'll vouch for the Urgent Care place! Been there, done that...

sheriffwoody

Sorry you started out the trip sick! Good thing you guys drove this trip, I bet that made it easier to get to the clinic.

It took us forever to find a parking spot. And the one we eventually got was miles away from the mall entrance. It was a hot, sweaty walk and once there, the place was a zoo. So. Many. People. Lots of them were pulling suitcases. At first I thought they were just-purchased suitcases (from the luggage outlet) but no....they were personal bags. It was like being in an airport! Very odd.
From what I've heard, this is a common experience! Lots of people have complained about there never being a parking spot there.

I'm in for the summer!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
@Tuvalu , not sure if what you had was the same thing I had about a week ago -- felt feverish with sort of cold symptoms. Took Dayquil and Nyquil and they helped, but it took about a week to shake it off. Sorry you were ill at the start of your vacation.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Oh sweet cheese and crackers, you betcha I'm in!
WooHoo!!! I can't wait!!!
I'm on board!
Following along!
Looking forward to another trip report :)
Nice to have y’all along for the ride!

In
That is all😉
Perfect. :geek:

Happy to help if it means we all get to enjoy another trip report from you!
I hearby crown you TR Title Queen. 👸🏻

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Love your TRs! Looking forward to this one! I'm almost 60 days away and I'm starting to feel that Disney Bubble anticipation coming on! Moar Trip Reports! :)
Can’t beat the bubble!

Can't wait to read all about it!!
I look forward to reading about your time with your bestie! You will write a TR? 🤞🏻

Yayyyy doing cartwheels!! You know I am here!😜
Your support means the (Disney) world to me!

Keeping my Disney fix up to date with this one and hope it's as enjoyable as the others. About to read the retro one as it's the only one I haven't read.😏
Gosh, I hope this will be an enjoyable read!

Yay! Another trip report! Love getting my Disney fix in between trips by reading them.
Thank you for reading!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
You caused me to flashback to 1985 when my car sported a similar “Baby on Board” sign! :joyfull:

Count me in! What are your trip dates for August? we get married in the Poly in August, a Tuvalu photobomb would be pretty neat :cool:
A Poly wedding???!!! ❤️❤️❤️
Hope it’s the last week of August!

tumblr_ma0zeaFuLf1re70abo1_250.gif

Hopefully the rain didn't come down TOO much! I'm along for the ride too.
It’s summer. In Florida. It did.

View attachment 382013
Who me? We've been napping while waiting for @Tuvalu 's next TR.
I’m here now Jaeger!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom