'The Tropicals' band leaving Disney's Animal Kingdom in October

Polydweller

The ambient music of steel drums should always exist in that park.

Not sure why. Steel drums were invented in Trinidad Tobago in the 1940s so neither African nor Asian so don't see how they fit naturally into the ambiance of AK. Felt out of place to me.

RunnerEd

A year ago, DAK was THE best park for live music. Since then, they've cut the Village Beatnicks and now the Tropicals. Both of those groups are/were great musicians and entertainers as well a great people to talk to after their sets were over. The drummer of the Tropicals spent a 1/2 hour giving my son (a young drummer) pointers for getting into the music scene at Disney. He worked there for around 15 years. I hope they find other gigs for them but they haven't for the Beatnicks guys that I know; 3 of whom were founding members of EPCOT Center's Future Corps.

_Scar

Not sure why. Steel drums were invented in Trinidad Tobago in the 1940s so neither African nor Asian so don't see how they fit naturally into the ambiance of AK. Felt out of place to me.

It's just called the "Theatre in the Wild". IMO it's not in Asia or Dinoland. It's just there.

I love the ambiance they created, and will love it in Dinoland/CMM/Africa/Asia.

backinaction

First pleasure island....now the tropicals....whats next yeti A mode? I liked them, but they always did seem out of place....stuck in limbo....they should have gave them a little stage and maybe some benches infront...Most of the time, i saw like 95 percent of people walk right by them.

Polydweller

It's just called the "Theatre in the Wild". IMO it's not in Asia or Dinoland. It's just there.

I love the ambiance they created, and will love it in Dinoland/CMM/Africa/Asia.

Didn't say I didn't like them but since the primary theming of AK is African, Asian and Dino they just seemed out of place within the AK theming to me. And I should have used the word theming which I meant rather than ambiance which wasn't the correct word.

COProgressFan

Wow, the Beatnik guys, now the steel drum group. It's terrible. What live music is actually left in DAK at this point?

And as usual, no word of any replacements.... so I guess that means no more live entertainment. :hurl:

yeti

Too many announcements of this essence recently. I'm starting to think any "live entertainment" venues without talking mickey heads or camp rock are in jeopardy.

It makes me sad. They've been there for so long; I was so accustomed to walking past these guys...

mickey2008.1

Even though they were out of place, they still added some magic to the area. It gave us one more thing to stop and watch and enjoy. Oh well, that's all we can say.:hammer:

RSoxNo1

I like Steel drums? Should I just say that they should be heard all around Discovery Island?

Too many announcements of this essence recently. I'm starting to think any "live entertainment" venues without talking mickey heads or camp rock are in jeopardy.

It makes me sad. They've been there for so long; I was so accustomed to walking past these guys...

^ This...

Going slightly off-topic here, I miss all the way back to "The Kids of the Kingdom" where it was a character show, but the characters almost took 2nd to the dancing / singing of "the Kids". As you pointed out, all of the entertainment is basically talking Mickey heads (with the mandatory 2-tone giggle after everything Mickey says), or princesses, or whatever. "Future Corps" in Epcot ROCKED (and not in a "Camp Rock" kind of way, either!! :drevil: ).

It's a shame; to me Disney is totally dumbing-down their entertainment all over the resort. :cry:

Judy

Tenny317

I love them! I have a great soft spot for steel drums. I've always enjoyed listening to them, they were just a calming sound through Animal Kingdom. It's nice having a LIVE band in the parks, taking this away is a silly idea!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom