Pre-Trip The trip where we promised we'd try something new, but we really just want a repeat of the usual

First an explanation of the title. We've stayed at Boardwalk Villas for our past two trips and we've stayed on the Epcot resort loop in general for our past eight trips. We keep saying we're going to try something new. I currently have us booked at Old Key West but every time I think about this trip I wonder if that's a mistake. We love the Epcot area so much. We love walking around the loop every day. We like walking into Epcot constantly even if it's just to get a snack in World Showcase. We like the long walking path to Hollywood Studios (more than we actually like being IN Hollywood Studios). We also love the food options. The pizza window on the boardwalk is yum for a quick lunch or late night snack. The dinner options in the Swan and Dolphin are so good. Il Mulino and Bluezoo are two of our favorite restaurants on the planet. The bartenders at the Belle Vue and Crew's Cup lounges make a perfect martini. The Screen Door store has a great variety of food for the villa kitchens and also a nice wine and vodka selection. There are games and entertainers to occupy the children in the evening. This area just works so well for us. We really want to give a new resort a try.....but we also really just want to go where we know we love it. So, as I'm writing this, I'm thinking about booking either Beach Club or Boardwalk Villas while there are still 2 bedroom villas available. That's my biggest debate on the planning front right now. What will we do?? I guess we'll see as the planning continues. Stay tuned.

My tentative daily main park plan follows. By "main park" I mean the park where we'll have our initial fast passes and where we will formally plan to spend the day. However, we have a tendency to park hop even if it's just a brief visit to a park within walking distance or a quick pop in for one attraction or a particular treat. We also often do a last minute short visit to Hollywood Studios on a no park day. We don't love it there but usually check it out at least once. No park days also include pool time and mini golf.

Day 1- no park
Day 2- AK
Day 3- MK
Day 4- no park
Day 5- Epcot
Day 6 - MK
Day 7- no park
Day 8- AK
Day 9- MK
Day 10- no park

180 days will be upon us tomorrow. It's too far out to have all of my plans intact but I know that a few of our meals will need to be booked far in advance. Here is my current but still loose plan for sit down meals:

Day 1: Dinner at Cape May (we aren't big on buffets but this is our arrival day tradition since it's hard to keep the kids in their seats after spending the day going from car to plane to bus(or car)

Day 2: Brunch at STK

Day 2: Dinner at Yak and Yeti

Day 3: Brunch at California Grill

Day 3: Dinner at Narcoossee's

Day 4: Lunch at The Boathouse

Day 4: Dinner at Il Mulino

Day 5: Lunch at Le Cellier

Day 5: Dinner at Bluezoo (date night, no kids)

Day 6: Breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table (the food isn't very good and I find the castle kind of dreary, but the princess interaction helps me minimize my time in Meet and Greet lines)

Day 6: Dinner at Be Our Guest

Day 7: Afternoon Tea at Garden View Tea Room (adults only)

Day 7: Dinner at Paddlefish (date night, no kids)

Day 8: Breakfast at Tusker House

Day 8: Dinner at Tiffins

Day 9: Breakfast at 1900 Park Fare

Day 9: Dinner at Skipper Canteen

Day 10: Breakfast at Kona

I may nix one of the character breakfast buffets. Like I said above we aren't big on buffets. I also get tired of breakfast food so I think I have too many breakfasts planned. I'd rather do more lunches? Maybe.

In general we prefer sit down, table service meals, to counter service. I've never found anything at the quick serve places that I had any desire to eat again. Maybe if any one reads this I'll get some suggestions. Also- I feel safer knowing that I have a reserved table rather than having to search for a place for all of us to sit. With small children, it's a lot to be trying to keep everyone together while trying to find empty seats and highchairs, all while carrying food (saving tables being frowned upon).

Our family is myself, hubby, daughters 6 and 4, sons (at time of trip) 23 months, 2 months. Also joining us, my in laws who will be staying at the Grand Floridian, as well as my brother in law, his wife, and their 3 children ages 8, 5, and 2 who will be staying off site at Four Seasons. We will do some things together and some things separately. We are fortunate to be able to have some couples time thanks to the children having fantastic, energetic grandparents.

Well, that's about as much as I have thought out so far. This trip takes place February/March 2018.
Can't wait, honestly :)

Souvenir

Original Poster
Well, we caved on trying out OKW. I've cancelled that reservation and we are now booked at Beach Club Villas. The difference in price is significant. I don't even want to think about it. All of the 2 bedroom villas were gone at Boardwalk by the time I decided to switch. Beach Club is as good location wise as Boardwalk, but with small children I like the more manageable pool area at Boardwalk. We do quite a lot of pool time and Stormalong Bay is hard to relax at when you need to keep your eyes on multiple children. I'm going to keep checking back to see if anything opens at Boardwalk. If so, I'll switch location one more time.

I have most of the dining set. It wasn't easy though. We will be eating most meals with extended family who are staying at other resorts. All together we're a party of 13. Because of the large group I had some issues booking some of the reservations online the usual way. The Boathouse only takes parties up to 8 on the Disney site but I was able to get a table for 13 on Open Table. Il Mulino's max is 11 and Narcoossee's max is 7, but I got both by calling (directly to Il Mulino, Disney Dining for Narcoossee's). For two meals we had to split our group in two. Le Cellier's max is 12 and Yak and Yeti's max is 8. I couldn't get the exact same time for both reservations at Le Cellier. They are 20 minutes apart. Hopefully it is still a pleasant lunch for everyone. There are a few things that I'm going to continue to try to tweek. Our BOG dinner is too early so I'll keep looking for a later time. With 13 people I'm not very optimistic though. Yak and Yeti, even with us splitting into two groups, the dinner is much later than I'd like but it was the only way to be seated at the same time. I'll keep trying to get an earlier time but it's tricky to do modifications on two separate reservations online.

All in all I did well with the dining reservations with one big exception. I have had no luck with Cinderella's Royal Table. They are closing a few days after we arrive for refurbishment. I'm not sure what to replace this with. None of the other options even compare. I would love suggestions for something that will really wow my daughters, ages 6 and 4, and my 5 year old niece.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom