The trendiness of Disney

Shouldigo12

Original Poster
This is something I've been thinking about for awhile and wanted to get your thoughts on. Apologies in advance for any errors or typos, I'm writing this on my phone.

Does anybody remember how big Portland, Oregon was a few years back? When I was younger and really into traveling (not that I could actually go anywhere, I was like 13 and poor as dirt.) I remember Portland, Oregon was one of THE places to go to in the US, partly because of the foodies and food tourism thing that was big around that time. Now as far as I know Portland is still a popular place to go, but it's not near as big as it once once. I used to see articles all the time advertising their restaurants, food truck, artists, and unique shops. Now those are a lot more rare. So the point with all of this is- how much of DW's current popularity do you think is just a part of a trend?

In my opinion, I think that a solid bit of the current Disney Mania a lot of people seem to be feeling is a trend. It was popular before it, it will certainly be a popular place after it, but a lot of people are xoming to DW because it's the "it" place to go right now. So a few questions for you guys:
1. Do you think the current popularity of Disney World is just a trend?
2. If so, when do you think the trend will die off? (I'm thinking after SWE opens).
3. What effect do you think DW losing it's mega popularity will have on the parks, other than the obvious smaller crowds?

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
This is something I've been thinking about for awhile and wanted to get your thoughts on. Apologies in advance for any errors or typos, I'm writing this on my phone.

Does anybody remember how big Portland, Oregon was a few years back? When I was younger and really into traveling (not that I could actually go anywhere, I was like 13 and poor as dirt.) I remember Portland, Oregon was one of THE places to go to in the US, partly because of the foodies and food tourism thing that was big around that time. Now as far as I know Portland is still a popular place to go, but it's not near as big as it once once. I used to see articles all the time advertising their restaurants, food truck, artists, and unique shops. Now those are a lot more rare. So the point with all of this is- how much of DW's current popularity do you think is just a part of a trend?

In my opinion, I think that a solid bit of the current Disney Mania a lot of people seem to be feeling is a trend. It was popular before it, it will certainly be a popular place after it, but a lot of people are xoming to DW because it's the "it" place to go right now. So a few questions for you guys:
1. Do you think the current popularity of Disney World is just a trend?
2. If so, when do you think the trend will die off? (I'm thinking after SWE opens).
3. What effect do you think DW losing it's mega popularity will have on the parks, other than the obvious smaller crowds?
No
No
It wont

eliza61nyc

Nope, not a trend. These are just my ramblings.

1) Disney has a continuous renewable energy source, lol. don't you notice that every so often Disney will release a movie from it's "vault" and make a bunch more money? that's because folks are still having kids and as one generation gets older there's always a back fill

2) Next, whether we like the direction or not, I do think Disney does a good job with staying current while also hitting the nostalgia group. I do think that's one of it's sweets spots, they do the "cater to everyone" thing really well.

3) I think the economy will/does have a bigger effect on the parks than any perceived popularity. Disney has marketed it's product to the point w here it's convinced much of the consumer that they HAVE to have it. that's genius

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Disney is not necessarily a trend.....it's a brand. Things like IP infiltration into EPCOT, food trucks, types of entertainment, food choices ......etc. Those are more trends. Trends seem to be more generational.

Yes trends tend to impact the brand somewhat. But with that being said, I'm confident that Disney (along with Uni) will continue to embrace up and coming trends and incorporate those into their respective brands to stay relevant.

You see shifting trends today. Things like the "un-Disney-izing" of certain resorts. Put it this way - If chocolate covered crickets became a "thing", you'd be able to buy them right along with a Turkey leg. Or if horseshoes became wildly popular, each resort would have several horseshoe pits and Disney would probably end up hosting the "World Horseshoe Championship" on property.

Shouldigo12

Original Poster
Disney is not necessarily a trend.....it's a brand. Things like IP infiltration into EPCOT, food trucks, types of entertainment, food choices ......etc. Those are more trends. Trends seem to be more generational.

Yes trends tend to impact the brand somewhat. But with that being said, I'm confident that Disney (along with Uni) will continue to embrace up and coming trends and incorporate those into their respective brands to stay relevant.

You see shifting trends today. Things like the "un-Disney-izing" of certain resorts. Put it this way - If chocolate covered crickets became a "thing", you'd be able to buy them right along with a Turkey leg. Or if horseshoes became wildly popular, each resort would have several horseshoe pits and Disney would probably end up hosting the "World Horseshoe Championship" on property.
Nope, not a trend. These are just my ramblings.

1) Disney has a continuous renewable energy source, lol. don't you notice that every so often Disney will release a movie from it's "vault" and make a bunch more money? that's because folks are still having kids and as one generation gets older there's always a back fill

2) Next, whether we like the direction or not, I do think Disney does a good job with staying current while also hitting the nostalgia group. I do think that's one of it's sweets spots, they do the "cater to everyone" thing really well.

3) I think the economy will/does have a bigger effect on the parks than any perceived popularity. Disney has marketed it's product to the point w here it's convinced much of the consumer that they HAVE to have it. that's genius
I think there's a but of a misunderstanding on what I was saying. I don't think the ONLY reason Disney is popular is because its a trend. That is obviously not the case. It was popular before now and it will be popular in thr future. They're good at what they do, and it shows. But it just feels like there's been a huge increase in attendance and attention that comes from it being the latest it place to go. I see articles constantly on the newest snacks at Disney, construction updates, and planning tips even on sites that aren't Disney centric. It'll always be a popular place, but I do think there has been a big Disney worship thing going on lately from even non Disney fanatics that won't last forever.

BasiltheBatLord

I don't know as much about DL as I do DW. What makes you think the bubble is ready to burst there?
DL, as a park whose attendance is driven more by frequent repeat-visitors (like APs) has gained a lot from its current zeitgeist in the whole millennial, Instagram-conscious era. DL is popular among young people and popular among its SoCal base.

I didn’t say the bubble is ready to burst, I just said it’s at greater risk of losing whenever the current Disney Park popularity wave dies down.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
But it just feels like there's been a huge increase in attendance and attention that comes from it being the latest it place to go. I see articles constantly on the newest snacks at Disney, construction updates, and planning tips even on sites that aren't Disney centric. It'll always be a popular place, but I do think there has been a big Disney worship thing going on lately from even non Disney fanatics that won't last forever.

I think there are a few things in play here. First off, Disney has been an "it" place to go for a very long time. I think you have to understand that social media, and alternate ways of obtaining information (read Tech) continues to grow and gain adoption and popularity.

YouTube started in 2005. Really gained traction in the late 00's and early 10's. When you look at it. That's only been about 10 years. These forms of media are continuing to evolve. Now you factor in Blogs, Vlogs, and the evolution of the internet in general - So while it may seem to you that this is "lately". It totally corresponds to advancements in the distribution and consumption of this type of information. In short - It's not that this buzz is "lately" it's just that you didn't have a way to consume it back then - the way you do now. And, people now monetize that content. So if someone figures they can make some money per click by writing about a new Disney cupcake. Well, you'll see stories about Disney cupcakes.

Had YouTube or a similar distribution channel existed in the 90's you'd have seen as much going on about Yacht and Beach Club, and other resorts like Port Orleans (Dixie Landings), Coronado Springs, AKL and Animal Kindgom.

Damon7777

I think that a solid bit of the current Disney Mania a lot of people seem to be feeling is a trend. It was popular before it, it will certainly be a popular place after it, but a lot of people are xoming to DW because it's the "it" place to go right now.

OK I'm not ready whatsoever to accept your underlying assumption(yet). Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing here, but how do you figure WDW is 'en vogue'? Where do you get that?

Please don't throw "it hosted 50 million+ visitors for a few years straight now" at us as a rationale because travel has been noticeably up in countless places around the globe lately, too.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

I think there's a but of a misunderstanding on what I was saying. I don't think the ONLY reason Disney is popular is because its a trend. That is obviously not the case. It was popular before now and it will be popular in thr future. They're good at what they do, and it shows. But it just feels like there's been a huge increase in attendance and attention that comes from it being the latest it place to go. I see articles constantly on the newest snacks at Disney, construction updates, and planning tips even on sites that aren't Disney centric. It'll always be a popular place, but I do think there has been a big Disney worship thing going on lately from even non Disney fanatics that won't last forever.
I would agree that there's a level on which the "trendiness" of the parks has been seemingly on the rise. Last week at Epcot I saw people wearing Spaceship Earth Minnie Ears with a strange pattern on the bow -- which I came to recognize as the pattern on the wall at the exit of Spaceship Earth. They sold these exact same ears with bows that reflected the flags of the countries in World Showcase, but the most popular by far were the ones with the Spaceship Earth Wall Bow. Ten years ago that would not have been something Disney would have produced, and it certainly wouldn't have been an item that guests wanted for the #SSEWall Bow.

That wall, by the way, is now a popular photo spot for guests, both with the bow and without. I think every time I got off Spaceship Earth my presence threatened to ruin someones Instagram photo.

I think the thing that's interesting about this sort of trendiness is that it isn't built around the kinds of things that Disney does that no one else can do. The #PurpleWall, the #MossWall, the #SpaceshipEarthWall, the latest style of Churro, the snacks on Pixar Pier, the Mermaid Donut . . . they're all fun, I suppose, not really harmful in any way, and are sufficiently #Grammable, but it takes either a high level of brand loyalty or a high desire to fit in to want to put these things on a pedestal. They suit a lifestyle more than being noteworthy of their own means.

That says to me that as lifestyles either change or don't they will either come or go. I could see the "bubble burst" for these sorts of products and interests if the tide turns on Instagram or if some new lifestyle fad outmodes this one, but as long as people are willing to shell out for Disney-brand status markers I'm sure the company will happily supply them, which has basically always been true (I'm looking at you, Disney Car Antenna Toppers). So I suppose the trendiness isn't necessarily new, but what is considered trendy has evolved in a strange way, and the way people demonstrate their trendiness is more public and visible than ever.

I would never have thought I'd be able to buy a Mickey-Pretzel "Stuffed Animal" at WDW, or Dole Whip Christmas Lights, but here we are.

Animaniac93-98

DL, as a park whose attendance is driven more by frequent repeat-visitors (like APs) has gained a lot from its current zeitgeist in the whole millennial, Instagram-conscious era. DL is popular among young people and popular among its SoCal base.

I didn’t say the bubble is ready to burst, I just said it’s at greater risk of losing whenever the current Disney Park popularity wave dies down.

Disneyland is certainly more popular today than the early 2000s when DCA was an international joke and Disney’s animated movies were bombing at the box office.

There is a difference in how Disney, and therefore the parks, is perceived among the general public today vs 10-15 years ago and it does relate to Millennials becoming adults, the rise of social media and Disney making more popular movies all happening at the same time.

J_Carioca

I know what the OP means. And to all of you that are pointing out that Disney has been popular forever, well, yes sure, but the question is how popular? I can remember a time in my twenties when it was not considered cool to go to WDW. Now it is. A number of posters have hit on social media as a major factor, and I agree. With millions of people broadcasting their WDW trips and their WDW outfits, etc..., you do kind of create a mania for it.

Also, Disney has done an amazing job at marketing over the last ten years or so. When I first started going to WDW in the 90s, you couldn't find any retro merchandise, but they have since clearly realized there's a huge market for such items, and now there are tons of them. Likewise, they have increased Disney's footprint with "collabs" in every area you could think of (Gap clothes, Vans sneakers, Ethan Allen furniture, Sephora makeup...I could go on). A lot of it goes hand-in-hand with our increasing consumerism - as a poster above noted, there was a time when you could go on SSE and just be happy doing that. Now you have to have the Minnie ears with the SSE pattern and be photographed at the wall. If you like Dole Whips, instead of just getting an actual Dole Whip you need to broadcast that love via a Dole Whip t-shirt...it goes on and on. Also, another interesting shift is the acceptability of adults wearing/having merchandise like this. I'm in my forties, but I have Minnie Mouse Keds shoes and no one bats an eye (at WDW or beyond) at me wearing shoes with a cartoon character on them. I feel like this was not the case twenty years ago or so.

Yes, people have been going to Disneyland and WDW since they opened, and they won't stop anytime soon. But beyond strict park attendance, I do agree that we are seeing a major shift in the way Disney is perceived as a brand. It has gone way beyond being perceived as a brand for kids/families and is now a brand for everyone, including young/hip/cool/trendy segments of the population.

Sonconato

In my opinion, a driving force for the popularity of Disney World nowadays is getting pictures for Facebook or other social media. I have been going to Disney World since 1974 and the crowds I see are outrageous. While watching a performance at the various parks I cannot count how many times someone has stood in front of me to snap pictures. I am short, so it doesn't take much to block my view. A lot of times what amazes me is the fact that people will film about 15 seconds of a show and move on. Don't they want to enjoy the whole show? There's also a whole lot of YouTubers and bloggers who promote Disney so it makes others want to go. It's constant advertising. As my husband says every time someone jumps in front of us, "take a picture and put it on Facebook so I can say I was there."

ppete1975

Disney was popular when you had to wait for your paper, only had like 3 black and white channels to watch, and listened to the radio for more than music (and that was AM not FM). Disneyland and Disney world were popular before the internet, computers that used to be the size of your house now housed in your back pocket, selfies, or social media. So no Virginia, Disney world is not a trend.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I predict Iger will be ousted from the CEO position after the board realizes how wildly popular SW:GE is, in retribution for him not ordering a complete fifth gate based on Star Wars.

Then they'll overcompensate and base the entire fifth gate solely around Rose Tico and Vice Admiral Holdo.

Disstevefan1

Not a trend. Disney World, was, is, and forever will be popular. I remember complaining how over crowded the magic kingdom was 30 years ago... Folks just keep coming.... It's scary to think how crowded it will be at WDW in 2021 for the 50th anniversary!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom