The Town Center construction

P_Radden

Please correct me if I am wrong. The Town Center will be in this area?
towncenter.jpg

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Friday, Mar 13. Glad to have this separate thread to post updates on Disney Springs Town Center.

To update wdwmagic's post of today, here is today's photo of the original Pleasure Island bridge between Raglan Road restaurant and to-be Morimoto's restaurant. The bridge's ironwork is gone and the jackhammer is down to the concrete base.

IMG_5060.JPG

A couple of photos showing the rebar in the bottom of Disney Springs river. The river will have a concrete bottom here.

IMG_5053.JPG

IMG_5056.JPG

mm121

Photo update as of Friday, Mar 13. Glad to have this separate thread to post updates on Disney Springs Town Center.

To update wdwmagic's post of today, here is today's photo of the original Pleasure Island bridge between Raglan Road restaurant and to-be Morimoto's restaurant. The bridge's ironwork is gone and the jackhammer is down to the concrete base.

View attachment 86709

A couple of photos showing the rebar in the bottom of Disney Springs river. The river will have a concrete bottom here.

View attachment 86710

View attachment 86711
Thats an odd place for the river, for it to have a view of nothing but the artificial side of trex

DisneyJayL

In the Parks
No
Didn't even know this was being built. I'll be able to look at things more when I get there Sunday. That's gonna be big.

mm121

Somebody in the themed entertainment business really ought to create a water park based on the idea of an ol' fashioned swimming hole... ;)

Where's the picture from, anyway?

well disney use to have one called river country, its too bad they haven't brought it back with a water system independent of the brain eating ameba lake

yea that pic is ginnie springs, but florida has many great springs areas

CDavid

well disney use to have one called river country, its too bad they haven't brought it back with a water system independent of the brain eating ameba lake

yea that pic is ginnie springs, but florida has many great springs areas

I was, of course, referring to River Country with that comment (the park sadly sits rotting away to this day). However, the water system for the park actually was independent and isolated from Bay Lake. The idea that the place was closed due to risks from lake water is just a myth.

flyerjab

Was just on DaMouse website. They went up in the balloon ride and have a bunch of nice overhead shots of The Landing and the recently started Town Center. The addition of Town Center to me is interesting to follow as it is almost entirely new from the ground up. This is where the scope of this transformation will really start to show itself as this addition to Disney Springs is huge.

EDIT: OTPN was incorrect reference. I corrected it above.

Last edited:

acassels

Was just on OTPN website. They went up in the balloon ride and have a bunch of nice overhead shots of The Landing and the recently started Town Center. The addition of Town Center to me is interesting to follow as it is almost entirely new from the ground up. This is where the scope of this transformation will really start to show itself as this addition to Disney Springs is huge.
Can you post the link?

Rob562

I was, of course, referring to River Country with that comment (the park sadly sits rotting away to this day). However, the water system for the park actually was independent and isolated from Bay Lake. The idea that the place was closed due to risks from lake water is just a myth.

My understanding of the RC water system is that the park was separated from the Lake by an inflatable dam, kinda like the ones that were used during the Hub construction project. The dam kept the water level inside the park a foot or two above the water level of the Lake.

Water was pulled from the lake, pumped into the various slides and waterfalls, and then the water returned to the lake by spilling over the top of the dam. By doing this, the water was generally kept "fresh" because it was constantly replenished with lake water. So swimming in the park was the same as swimming in the lake. It didn't need any kind of special filters or chemical treatment systems. (The only exception being the one filtered and temperature-controlled pool to one side)

(@marni1971 am I getting this right?)

Now, whether the intake snorkel that lived on the bottom of Bay Lake was susceptible to pulling in the amoeba or not, I don't know.
But either way, the bigger killer of the park was the opening of the other two on-property water parks (or maybe it was just Typhoon Lagoon at the time RC closed) meant that River Country, with its difficult-to-get-to location and not-as-thrilling-as-the-other-parks attractions, wasn't pulling in the crowds anymore and it became too expensive to operate.

-Rob

mm121

My understanding of the RC water system is that the park was separated from the Lake by an inflatable dam, kinda like the ones that were used during the Hub construction project. The dam kept the water level inside the park a foot or two above the water level of the Lake.

Water was pulled from the lake, pumped into the various slides and waterfalls, and then the water returned to the lake by spilling over the top of the dam. By doing this, the water was generally kept "fresh" because it was constantly replenished with lake water. So swimming in the park was the same as swimming in the lake. It didn't need any kind of special filters or chemical treatment systems. (The only exception being the one filtered and temperature-controlled pool to one side)

(@marni1971 am I getting this right?)

Now, whether the intake snorkel that lived on the bottom of Bay Lake was susceptible to pulling in the amoeba or not, I don't know.
But either way, the bigger killer of the park was the opening of the other two on-property water parks (or maybe it was just Typhoon Lagoon at the time RC closed) meant that River Country, with its difficult-to-get-to location and not-as-thrilling-as-the-other-parks attractions, wasn't pulling in the crowds anymore and it became too expensive to operate.

-Rob
if they ever did want to bring it back to life, i liked the idea someone had to make it be an adult oasis/spa venue

that would give it a specific purpose, one that wouldn't compete with the other waterparks, and wouldn't require the reconstruction of the slides

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom