The top secret plan

MacSweynster

Original Poster
Hears the skinny. My girlfriend and I are heading to the magical world of Disney world in Dec 2009 to a moderate resort and I'm thinking of popping the question.

So my thinking is this. She would like to get a pearl out of the pick your own oyster at Epcot I think they have it there still. Some how Id like to arrange to have the ring inside the oyster. Obviously it would be staged in side a oyster that has already been open. Now we will be staying on site so I'm hoping to be able to work this out with maybe the hotel staff, do you think they can help me arrange this? also my girlfriend jokes that she wants fireworks to go off when she gets purposed to so do you think it could be timed to be done while the fire works are being done at night. any thoughts ideas ?... thanks

slappy magoo

I'm assuming you can pick your own oysters in The Coral Reef. If I'm right, I'm fairly certain there's no view of fireworks from there, as their main seeling point is the view of the Living Seas' coral reef, with all the various fishes, throughout the restaurant. So that's an instance where you can't get everything you want. Pickin your own oysters, or fireworks, not both.

I've mentioned it a gajillion times before :D but I popped the question at the patio of Rose & Crown in the UK pavilion. Despite the traditional "we make no promises in regards to seating" rule, they managed to let us snag a table outside for dinner and fireworks. A few minutes before the fireworks I had arranged to have flowers delivered to our table, and I timed the proposal to just before the fireworks started. People applauded, it rocked, it was romantic, but didn't rely on too much out of the ordinary. If you decide the fireworks is when you want to pop the question, feel free to steal my memories. :)

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Philo

It's a nice plan - one which would work well but there are a few problems.

The oysters are in a big tank so getting her to pick the right one (or hoping no-one else picks that one!) could be a problem. Also, an open oyster would be quite obvious so you may need to get yourself a CM who is also a bit of a magician (i.e. good with sleight of hand). Finally, consider if your new fiancee would like to wear a ring that has been sat in an oyster?

As for the fireworks, think you could time it right but you don't have a direct view from the shop and the timing could be a bit of an issue.

Generally speaking, CM's will help you out where ever they can so it's always worth calling them to see what can be arranged. Whilst it's a bit pricey, giftsofalifetime will try and do anything for you provided they have enough time and you have enough money.

figmentisgreat

You could arrange it ahead of time for them to do a little switch:

Have her pick a pearl and the setting and everything
Then, when she goes to pick it up, she will be expecting the jewelry with the pearl.
The people there, however, will do a switch and put the real ring in the box.

Then, tada, she is suprised!

Tom

Beta Return
Hears the skinny. My girlfriend and I are heading to the magical world of Disney world in Dec 2009 to a moderate resort and I'm thinking of popping the question.

So my thinking is this. She would like to get a pearl out of the pick your own oyster at Epcot I think they have it there still. Some how Id like to arrange to have the ring inside the oyster. Obviously it would be staged in side a oyster that has already been open. Now we will be staying on site so I'm hoping to be able to work this out with maybe the hotel staff, do you think they can help me arrange this? also my girlfriend jokes that she wants fireworks to go off when she gets purposed to so do you think it could be timed to be done while the fire works are being done at night. any thoughts ideas ?... thanks

First, they do indeed still do Pick-A-Pearl at Japan in Epcot. It's done about halfway back in the gift shop on the right side of the courtyard.

The cost for picking a pearl is cheap, so that's not a problem. You would want to call the store ahead of time (I can find a way to get the phone number) and speak with a manager and explain your idea. If they're good with it, arrange a time when you can sneak over to meet the girls to do the pearl picking and teach them what you want them to do (they grab an oyster and pull it out of the tank. They hold it in front of them and try to slip the ring in while you distract your GF. Then they can lay it up on the counter to do the official opening (you could also try to get her to palm the ring till this point and drop it into the oyster as she opens it).

Now, timing it to happen when Illuminations is going off will be the tricky part. I don't know the store hours, so they may close at 9, when ROE starts. You'll need to find that part out.

But, like someone said, if you've got wads of cash, call Gifts of a Lifetime. It's like hiring a concierge to do everything for you. You're paying for people to do a bunch of tasks YOU can do yourself, but you're benefiting from the convenience and time saving. They're good, but I'd try it yourself first.

DizneyPryncess

I just want to add to the others who have mentioned it - if the CM's can't help you out with the plan you want, consider gifts of a lifetime. They are pricey but seriously, the day they (and my husband) planned for me was the best day ever. They go above & beyond, and can pretty much do anything you want. :)

While the idea of the ring in an oyster is cute and romantic, will she want to put a ring on that may be covered in oyster goop? Just a thought.

Perhaps the ring in a box after the setting is chosen would be a little better, only because you can put the ring on her (assuming she says yes ;) ) right away, without having to clean it.

Oh!!! What if you did the pick a Pearl, and went to pick up the pearl in the setting around the time Illuminations is scheduled? You could put your ring in the bag when she's not looking, and then ask to look at it again, thus making her find the ring box in the bag.

Good luck on whatever you decide!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom