The Three Caballeros tonight

bigorangeandy

Original Poster
Tonight at midnight eastern time, The Three Caballeros (1944) is on Turner Classic Movies (TCM), also following that is, Walt & El Grupo (2008). I'm not staying up to watch, but the DVR is set, if anyone is interested.

Matt_Black

I watched it. Fun. I've always loved the idea of Donald being an insatiable Lothario. Has TCM said when the next "Treasures from the Disney Vault" will be?

216bruce

Doesn't appear to be another "Vault" installment in April and the schedule is only up through mid-May, so not before then.
I'd love to see them release something from the vault that hasn't been on dvd. "Prince and the Pauper"? I'm sure "Song of the South" is too much to hope for.

Matt_Black

Doesn't appear to be another "Vault" installment in April and the schedule is only up through mid-May, so not before then.
I'd love to see them release something from the vault that hasn't been on dvd. "Prince and the Pauper"? I'm sure "Song of the South" is too much to hope for.

Well, they announced this one right around when they aired the previous one, so I was hoping they'd do the same.

Anyway, the last one was in December, this was March, so, theoretically, the next logical one would be June. I could certainly see them dusting off Summer Magic.

216bruce

Well, they announced this one right around when they aired the previous one, so I was hoping they'd do the same.

Anyway, the last one was in December, this was March, so, theoretically, the next logical one would be June. I could certainly see them dusting off Summer Magic.
Yeah, they seemed themed, for sure. Other "summer" titles...How to Play Baseball, The Disneyland opening-day live show? for the 60th Anniversary seems like a no-brainer, along with maybe an episode or two leading up to the actual opening.

I could definitely see them doing a summer theme for the next one. Summer Magic is a great pic - and one of my favorite Hayley Mills vehicles. I could also see them airing The Parent Trap, with its summer setting.

The Disneyland opening day show would be such a treat to watch. I'd also love to see them show Disneyland After Dark. They could easily pair all of this with some of the classic cartoons that feature various members of the Fab Five going on vacation.

Animaniac93-98

Leonard Maltin confirmed that the next one will be around July 4th. With that in mind I think it's likely we'll see Johnny Tremain and Ben and Me air. Another good choice would be the Disneyland TV episode used to promote Johnny that also included Walt explaining his plans for Liberty Street in Disneyland.

prberk

I say again, perhaps to the choir, that all of this should have a home on the so-called "Disney" Channel, even if at night or on the weekends. They did that for years, even before "Vault Disney," and thus kept the material before the public and related to Disney -- and people watched it, especially Disney fans (which would be a natural for a Channel dedicated to it. (How else do we all know about it so well.)

216bruce

I say again, perhaps to the choir, that all of this should have a home on the so-called "Disney" Channel, even if at night or on the weekends. They did that for years, even before "Vault Disney," and thus kept the material before the public and related to Disney -- and people watched it, especially Disney fans (which would be a natural for a Channel dedicated to it. (How else do we all know about it so well.)
Couldn't agree more. It seems with so much of the content of Disney Channel being aimed at tweens that adults could be thrown the bone of late night 'classic' Disney programming. Just exposing kids and younger adults to this type of programming could only increase awareness and interest in it in the long term. With DVR's etc., making everything available at any hour for viewing and time-shifting it, it just makes sense. It strengthens the brand and extends the reach of it even more.

Matt_Black

Couldn't agree more. It seems with so much of the content of Disney Channel being aimed at tweens that adults could be thrown the bone of late night 'classic' Disney programming. Just exposing kids and younger adults to this type of programming could only increase awareness and interest in it in the long term. With DVR's etc., making everything available at any hour for viewing and time-shifting it, it just makes sense. It strengthens the brand and extends the reach of it even more.

It's really sad that right now Disney Channel's idea of throwback programming is That's So Raven and Phil of the Future.

216bruce

It's really sad that right now Disney Channel's idea of throwback programming is That's So Raven and Phil of the Future.
I feel like telling Disney to stop using the term 'timeless' when they refer to their movies and older television shows. Prove it already...show it!

Matt_Black

I feel like telling Disney to stop using the term 'timeless' when they refer to their movies and older television shows. Prove it already...show it!

Or better yet, just make another channel specifically for Vault stuff. I mean, we've got the main Disney Channel for tweens, Disney Jr for the little 'uns, and Disney XD for... teenagers? (Disney XD's focus is a little more muddled).

prberk

Amen! And especially since the same company goes to great lengths to incorporate the really timeless material into their theme parks and resorts (World of Color, anyone? Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, anyone? Triple-R Ranch, anyone? Even the fireworks over the castle with Tinkerbell, anyone? 1900 Park Fare breakfast with Mary Poppins, anyone?) and with cameos in their movies. Disney knows the importance of their heritage, but its television division seems to have forgotten.

And maybe it should say something that most of the "Disney" Channel stuff never makes it to the parks...

216bruce

Or better yet, just make another channel specifically for Vault stuff. I mean, we've got the main Disney Channel for tweens, Disney Jr for the little 'uns, and Disney XD for... teenagers? (Disney XD's focus is a little more muddled).
And how expensive could it be? The programming already exists. Just reruns, a few new segments ala' what TCM does and you have it. They don't even have to acquire anything. Imagine 10+ years of the anthology show, classic live action and animated films, Zorro, MMC ( even the JT and Britney ones), there's a lot to warrant at least a regular block of shows.
Any idea how the TCM nights are doing ratings-wise?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom