Trip Report The Texas Ranger, The Beast, and We "started the fireworks": A trip of firsts!

Wow, this was a trip of many first for our happy little family. We have been to WDW numerous times, but this one was different, very different, in very many ways, and all good.

Let's start with the WHO:
myself, Debbie, known as Cee Gee to the grandsons.

CeeGee=Crazy Grandmom. According to my loving daughter, the boys have a normal grandmother (the other one apparently) and a crazy one......

12920344_1169082596435490_4994370373654001388_n.jpg

which I would deeply resent if it weren't true, but that's another story.

Then there are the boys, Hunter (7) Logan (5) and Nicholas (3)

12718006_10209473018812611_3177715825415552226_n.jpg

Always noisy and crazy when they are together.

And then their parents: my daughter Nicole

IMG_6740.JPG

and her husband Steven.

MK_ENTR_7073475628.jpeg

And they call ME the crazy one!!!

The when- April 8-16, 2016

And the where- our first new first- Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort.

13092081_1189803227696760_4202316929490711810_n.jpg

13043645_1189803214363428_310690638295020830_n.jpg

We have never stayed off property before. It was a big risk for us, we know disney properties and love them, but this place seemed so cool, we wanted to try. And for the 6 of us Disney properties require either 2 rooms or a suite, that gets expensive. So we bit the bullet, chewed our nails, and booked an off-property resort. When the real report starts I'll tell you if we were happy or not.

so more tomorrow......................

bee

I've stayed with my wife and her family at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek because her parents have a timeshare connection and have gotten good deals. We had some beautiful poolside walks outside and the suites/villas were very comfortable for five adults.

You being the "crazy grandma" reminds me of when I was little. On my mom's side I have a lot of cousins and second cousins. One of my first cousins close to my age called her mom's mom (not my grandmother) "Gaggy" and then the grandmother we shared became "Other Gaggy." My mother was appalled but I still find it hilarious.

Can't wait to read your report!

docdebbi

Original Poster
Ohhhh can't wait to read more! You were there the exact same time we were! :)
yeah, I read your report and thought it was funny that we were feeling plenty warm- since it was snowing at home while we were there- but you thought it was cold. at first I thought, she must be a southern girl, but found out that you're not. just a cold girl!

docdebbi

Original Poster
I've stayed with my wife and her family at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek because her parents have a timeshare connection and have gotten good deals. We had some beautiful poolside walks outside and the suites/villas were very comfortable for five adults.

You being the "crazy grandma" reminds me of when I was little. On my mom's side I have a lot of cousins and second cousins. One of my first cousins close to my age called her mom's mom (not my grandmother) "Gaggy" and then the grandmother we shared became "Other Gaggy." My mother was appalled but I still find it hilarious.

Can't wait to read your report!

I can't believe I've finally found a name worse than my own. I'll just keep CeeGee now thank you!

ScarletBegonias

yeah, I read your report and thought it was funny that we were feeling plenty warm- since it was snowing at home while we were there- but you thought it was cold. at first I thought, she must be a southern girl, but found out that you're not. just a cold girl!

LOL, right! Stupid Thyroid...

docdebbi

Original Poster
So the trip started on Friday night, April 8, right after work. Over time we've come to realize that waking the kids early enough to make an early Saturday morning flight, left all of us too tired out. So we started going Friday evening and taking sleeping kids right off the plane and over to the Hyatt in the airport, still asleep in their strollers.

So after a long day of work, we all packed up the cars, yes two cars, (moving 6 folks and our luggage is no small feat), and off we went to Philadelphia Airport. Had a blissfully uneventful flight and landed in Orlando 20 minutes ahead of schedule. Hunter is now old enough that he stayed up the whole flight and actually helped us with the little guys. Got a good nights sleep and were all ready for a busy day on Saturday.

My job was to get up before everyone else and go pick up the rental car and drop our luggage off at Bonnet Creek. Yes, you got it, six people and our luggage do not fit in one car any more in Orlando than they do in Philly. So all went smoothly and I came back to a breakfast picnic waiting in the room for me.

We were lucky enough to get rooms overlooking the runway so we could watch the monorail come and go
DSC01907.JPG

and the planes taxi-ing and taking off and landing. Sort of fun.

DSC01909.JPG

and got to see the cool rooftop pool.

DSC01908.JPG

But we didn't take the time to go in, because we were on our way to our own hotel to swim.

We arrived at the Wyndham Bonnet Creek, both excited and nervous. We had read about it a lot and knew it was a great place, but that you get the hard sell when checking in to go their timeshare presentation. We had no time or inclination to do so, but reading the reviews made it sound like it was either give them a kidney or go to the presentation. We chose the kidney......

We politely but firmly showed them my proudest achievement. THE LAMINATED POCKET CARDS-

DSC03076.JPG

the entire week's schedule on portable waterproof cards......immune to splash mountain, kali river rapids and Florida thunderstorms. I defied them to find an empty spot for their presentation and we'd go.
Nope no time that day........
or these days.........
DSC03075.JPG

or even all week.....
DSC03074.JPG

I won. No sales pitch for us.

See it pays to have OCD....and my family mocks me!
So off to our room to check it out and see if we were happy or sad about being off property

Last edited:

docdebbi

Original Poster
So the room was fantastic, plenty of room for us and the kids to spread out

DSC01910.JPG

DSC01913.JPG

and 2 bedrooms so we could have a little wine after the kids went to bed at night

DSC01912.JPG

DSC01917.JPG

and 3 bathrooms. can't beat that in the mornings.
The kids liked the jacuzzi ......even dry.

DSC01921.JPG

so, so far: check in- good, room - good.
let's check out the pools....

first, the lazy river

DSCF4067.JPG

DSCF4068.JPG

DSCF4071.JPG

DSCF4080.JPG

where we were fired upon by the evil enemy

DSCF4093.JPG

yup, so far liking this place even though it's not owned by disney.
next up.....our first night in the Magic Kingdom and the Hoop de Doo, which was another first for us. Not the hoop de doo itself, but some of the special things.

docdebbi

Original Poster
So after an afternoon in the pool, it was time to clean up and hop over to Magic Kingdom for a very short trip.
Since we had Hoop de doo reservations, it just made sense to park at Fort Wilderness, and take the boat over. The excitement as we cruised into sight of the castle was incredible. The boys (and we) were beside themselves. Amazing how that energy level creeps down each morning as the trip goes on.... but tonight.....excitement over the top.

DSC01923.JPG

As soon as we entered, we went on the railroad as we knew it was closing in 2 days. The boys saw the timetable and then it magically changed into cartoons for a few minutes and then back. They were sold on Disney Magic after that.

DSC01924.JPG

I only got to ride as far as frontierland because it was the job of Steve and myself to take Logan on his first grown up roller coaster- Big Thunder Mountain. I must admit, I had a little anxiety about frightening him off of roller coasters forever, he's only 5, but he was certain he wanted to do it. He'd watched it many times on youtube, so we agreed to let him try it.

So while Nicole took Hunter and Nicholas the rest of the way and then on Winnie the Pooh, I got to ride Big Thunder Mtn.

He looked a little concerned as we were about to take off, but he LOVED it. So proud of himself.

DSC01925.JPG

Actually so proud that as we exited and there was Photopass photographer there, he asked for a picture of just him and Big Thunder. The pride shows!

MK_BIGTHUNDERMTN_7653028800.jpeg

What a change in facial expression, huh?
Then we used our FP for Peter Pan and it was time to leave for Hoop de doo.

This is where two more of our firsts happened. We checked in and got our picture taken. I must say, I am not quite sure why or when they stopped taking the pre-show pictures in the prop area set up just for this, and started taking them just in front of the sign, but that's what they were doing.

WDWRESORTSANDMORE_HOOP_383283846193.jpeg

And then for the first time, poor Steven became THAT GUY. You know, the one that gets flirted with by Dolly and kissed by Dolly and picked on the rest of the show? Yup, that was our Steve.
DSC01949.JPG

DSC01970.JPG

For a week, all his wife heard about was "I got kissed by a redhead". Yeah, he ate it up! Almost as much as he ate up that Strawberry shortcake.

Another minor first for us, we have found out that Hunter is allergic to red dye in food. Really makes it difficult to feed the poor guy. We didn't think about it here until they started singing about the strawberry shortcake, so we asked the waiter if he knew if there was red dye in the strawberry filling. Next thing we knew, the chef was there, (didn't want to cause a fuss, just weren't going to let him eat any) confirming that there is dye in it, but don't worry, he'll find something for dessert for our poor little guy.

Yup, he found something alright, his own private massive strawberry shortcake with fresh strawberries. Thanks chef, you made him very happy.
DSC01955.JPG

And while I would say "you made his night", that wouldn't be true, Miss Flora made his night shortly after you personally delivered this treat to a kid who is just used to being told, "sorry you can't have that"............
up next. Miss Flora makes his night

Last edited:

docdebbi

Original Poster
So while he was tearing into his treasure, Miss Flora came over and bent down and asked if he would like to be in the show. An enthusiastic yes came from him. Now the tricky part, she looked at the grown ups and asked "can he do it?".

Well let's see....... he is both autistic and hyperactive.........sounds like a perfect set up to be on stage, but the look in his eyes said he wanted to try. And we want him to try things so we said yes, and instantly lost our appetites and started saying prayers hoping this worked out for him. It was a risky but exciting move on his part.

Well, he loved being THE TEXAS RANGER. Did great. At least when he was shooting up that bear. He was so cute, we could hardly "bear it". His joy was so "unbearable", he "bearly" made it through the show. (you will only appreciate this if you know the show),

WDWRESORTSANDMORE_SPECVENT_383105259623.jpeg

WDWRESORTSANDMORE_SPECVENT_383105259624.jpeg

WDWRESORTSANDMORE_SPECVENT_383105259627.jpeg

WDWRESORTSANDMORE_SPECVENT_383105259629.jpeg

He did love playing with Davey Crockett, but apparently, not so much being kissed by Miss Flora, and she picked him too! Guess he's not ready for dating girls yet, huh?

WDWRESORTSANDMORE_SPECVENT_383105259625.jpeg

WDWRESORTSANDMORE_SPECVENT_383105259626.jpeg

WDWRESORTSANDMORE_SPECVENT_383105259628.jpeg

Highlight of the trip for all of us....he did GREAT and more importantly had a ball.
So two major "firsts" for our trip, and on our first day too!

buseegal

Wow, this was a trip of many first for our happy little family. We have been to WDW numerous times, but this one was different, very different, in very many ways, and all good.

Let's start with the WHO:
myself, Debbie, known as Cee Gee to the grandsons.

CeeGee=Crazy Grandmom. According to my loving daughter, the boys have a normal grandmother (the other one apparently) and a crazy one......

View attachment 139631
which I would deeply resent if it weren't true, but that's another story.

Then there are the boys, Hunter (7) Logan (5) and Nicholas (3)

View attachment 139633

Always noisy and crazy when they are together.

And then their parents: my daughter Nicole

View attachment 139635

and her husband Steven.

View attachment 139636

And they call ME the crazy one!!!

The when- April 8-16, 2016

And the where- our first new first- Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort.

View attachment 139637

View attachment 139638
We have never stayed off property before. It was a big risk for us, we know disney properties and love them, but this place seemed so cool, we wanted to try. And for the 6 of us Disney properties require either 2 rooms or a suite, that gets expensive. So we bit the bullet, chewed our nails, and booked an off-property resort. When the real report starts I'll tell you if we were happy or not.

so more tomorrow......................
saw the pic from Amish Village, are you by chance are to taking boys to Dutch Wonderland? if so stop by the Millstream eatry and see if Betty is working and say hi

docdebbi

Original Poster
saw the pic from Amish Village, are you by chance are to taking boys to Dutch Wonderland? if so stop by the Millstream eatry and see if Betty is working and say hi
go to Dutch Wonderland all the time. Will stop by and say Hi sometime. Love that place. And we do eat at the Millstream eatery.
Thanks for following along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom