Trip Report The Sweet 16th(with a few surprises thrown in)!!

Hello friends!! Welcome one & all to my 2nd trip report!! To those who followed along on my first one(https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/whats-going-on-with-my-clothes.945539/) it's great to have you along again & to anyone new joining in thanks for coming on board. I'm excited to have you all here!!

WHO: my niece H(the birthday girl) & myself

IMG_3810.jpeg

WHEN: Tuesday, August 21st - Saturday, August 25th

WHERE: For anyone that read my first TR I'm sure you can guess where but for those of you that don't know me..... my home away from home, POR

Looking forward to sharing the birthday celebration with you!!

riverside

Original Poster
WRAPPING THIS UP

I just thought I'd throw this out there b/c this is something E & I have always said we were going to do but never did & I finally did it(not 100% perfect though). This is the "is the dining plan worth it?" saga.
We've done trips where we got the dining plan & ones where we didn't. E did not have the plan this trip but H & I did. I always figured you really didn't save money with the dining plan but I will say I like the convenience of knowing that pretty much everything is already paid for. With that being said though I usually find myself scrambling at the end of a trip to cash in those credits so I don't lose them. I've used those credits to pay for random strangers meals & I've also brought 20 bags of candy home. Getting the "free" mug on the plan is not important to me b/c I don't drink pop. The reason I got the dining plan on this trip is b/c I was bringing H. This is the third time I've taken her to Disney & I know that she won't ask for much & also feels bad about how much things cost. I feel like by having the dining plan she doesn't feel funny about picking a more expensive item or ordering a dessert etc. She kept saying she was saving the snack credits for the Halloween party. Had I been paying OOP she never would have asked for all those treats. So, as you will see below it didn't pay to have the dining plan but IMO it was worth it b/c she felt comfortable getting what she wanted.
IMG_4750.jpeg

I was pretty good about saving all the receipts except for the ones from the Halloween party so I just went off the price on the menus. I also think the savings could really have been a bit more b/c for most meals I normally wouldn't order a dessert & there are times(esp. for lunch)that I wouldn't order an alcoholic beverage. I guess I get that mindset though that I've paid for it so I might as well order it.

I also looked on MDE this morning and it is showing me 8 FP's for our upcoming trip & I know I booked 12. Guess I better straighten this out soon.

Well, that about wraps up this TR. I really want to thank you for reading, commenting & liking my posts!! I really appreciate it!! As with my first one I had a ton of fun doing this!! My countdown is at 5 days so I'll "See Ya Real Soon"!!:)

Rista1313

WRAPPING THIS UP

I just thought I'd throw this out there b/c this is something E & I have always said we were going to do but never did & I finally did it(not 100% perfect though). This is the "is the dining plan worth it?" saga.
We've done trips where we got the dining plan & ones where we didn't. E did not have the plan this trip but H & I did. I always figured you really didn't save money with the dining plan but I will say I like the convenience of knowing that pretty much everything is already paid for. With that being said though I usually find myself scrambling at the end of a trip to cash in those credits so I don't lose them. I've used those credits to pay for random strangers meals & I've also brought 20 bags of candy home. Getting the "free" mug on the plan is not important to me b/c I don't drink pop. The reason I got the dining plan on this trip is b/c I was bringing H. This is the third time I've taken her to Disney & I know that she won't ask for much & also feels bad about how much things cost. I feel like by having the dining plan she doesn't feel funny about picking a more expensive item or ordering a dessert etc. She kept saying she was saving the snack credits for the Halloween party. Had I been paying OOP she never would have asked for all those treats. So, as you will see below it didn't pay to have the dining plan but IMO it was worth it b/c she felt comfortable getting what she wanted.
View attachment 312964
I was pretty good about saving all the receipts except for the ones from the Halloween party so I just went off the price on the menus. I also think the savings could really have been a bit more b/c for most meals I normally wouldn't order a dessert & there are times(esp. for lunch)that I wouldn't order an alcoholic beverage. I guess I get that mindset though that I've paid for it so I might as well order it.

I also looked on MDE this morning and it is showing me 8 FP's for our upcoming trip & I know I booked 12. Guess I better straighten this out soon.

Well, that about wraps up this TR. I really want to thank you for reading, commenting & liking my posts!! I really appreciate it!! As with my first one I had a ton of fun doing this!! My countdown is at 5 days so I'll "See Ya Real Soon"!!:)

Thanks for sharing! Can't wait for the next one!

I was thinking about the same thing for the Minnie Vans... I hope not.. such convenience to resort/resort travel.. especially Hoop Dee Doo!

Last time we did the dining plan we came out ahead because of our expensive flower and garden snack credit lunches. The next time we go it'll be food and wine, so because I love all inclusive so much, I will probably keep it. Although...if free dining is available during my time, we may just keep the QS free dining and not upgrade it. But pay out of pocket for a couple TS meals... Hubby has stated he doesn't want to do TS meals every night this time. We shall see what happens!

LMSB

SATURDAY, AUGUST 25TH(CONT.)

I texted E when we got off the TE & she had just gone through security. As it turns out she only got to the airport a few minutes before us. On her bus POR was the first stop & they went to 3 other resorts after that. On ours POR was the last stop. Oh--I forgot this: Our TE was pretty full. H & I walked towards the back & I found one seat in the very last row. I told her to sit there & I would figure something out. Well, I saw a guy and sitting next to him was his carry on. I asked him if he minded if I sat there(considering there was not another seat to be had on that bus). He rolled his eyes & never said a word. He did pick up his bag though so I took that as a yes. Truth be told, I didn't care if he minded if I sat there or not. With his attitude I really didn't want to sit next to him either but I didn't have much choice in the matter at that point.

Since we had some time to kill between having TSA Precheck & a delayed flight we stopped in here. H is a big Harry Potter fan so she likes looking around in there. She ended up buying a game.
View attachment 312384

We got Jersey Mike's Subs for dinner. We stopped at Starbucks after that.
View attachment 312385

J couldn't understand why we weren't on the same TE as him & his mom.
View attachment 312386

We thought that this looked a bit odd so when I was going to board & he was still there I mentioned it to the agent. She didn't seem concerned at all & said that they were aware. OK then!!
View attachment 312387

The plane was late coming in from Houston. When it arrived they asked everyone to board quickly b/c there was bad weather coming & they wanted to get out of there before it came.
E, H & J got in line for family boarding.
View attachment 312388

The three of them were sitting in a row together. The two seats behind H & J were open so I took aisle seat behind J.

J doing his same old--"reading" the safety instructions.
View attachment 312389

View attachment 312390

It was at this point that my day went downhill further. I bid farewell to my family. A husband, wife & daughter(about 10 or so) got on the plane and not only couldn't find 3 seats together but they apparently couldn't even find 2. The seat next to me was still empty as was the seat behind me. The husband asked me if I would move to the seat behind me so his wife could sit with their daughter. I wasn't thrilled just b/c I didn't feel like getting up but whatever. I tapped J on the head & told them I would talk to them later. The wife said she didn't realize that I was with people & that I could just stay there. Gee thanks lady-it was my seat to begin with. I told her it wasn't a big deal & I moved. One of the flight attendants told me that was very nice of me b/c most people won't give up their seat(after this flight I can see why). She told me that they would give me a beverage on the house for switching my seat.
View attachment 312391

So now I'm in a row with two other women. They dim the cabin lights & one of the women turns on her reading light. I would have been fine with it if she was using it to read & not to sleep like she was!! It was quite annoying. They came around to take drink orders & I ordered a glass of water & a glass of cabernet. I didn't take them up on the free drink. I actually had drink coupons so I used one of those. Wouldn't you know it, as soon as the drinks were served "Miss I Need the Light On to Sleep" decides she has to go to the bathroom. So I have to manage 2 drinks & my phone while I stand up to let her through. I said hi to J then. He wanted to know "who was sitting in my seat & why?"(quite loudly I might add). She came back from the bathroom & I sat down again-but not for long. Now the other woman had to go to the bathroom. Really?? I know I shouldn't be so judgemental esp. b/c someone could have a medical issue but for goodness sake, it's a 2 hour flight. Go before you get on then after you get off. Again, I know I probably shouldn't be that way but it's amazing to me how many people use the bathroom on such a short flight. Who knows though, maybe they're nervous?

Now this is what really got to me. Every now & then J would turn back to say something to me or sometimes he was just clowning around(like in this picture). I could kind of tell that the woman I gave my seat to was getting annoyed with it. She gets up to go to the bathroom & told me that if I wanted to sit in her seat(which was mine to begin with)so I could talk to my family for a bit I could. She said it rudely & I could tell that she was annoyed so I knew she was being smart. I gave her the same treatment that the guy on the TE gave to me--the eye roll and the silent treatment. I felt like telling her to give me back my seat. It was at this point that I remembered the saying, "no good deed goes unpunished". This is so true....
View attachment 312392

The flight ended up landing about a half hour later than it was supposed to. I couldn't wait to get off that plane!!

View attachment 312393
Sorry the last leg of your trip ended the way it did! I was stuck next to a couple like that on a flight to Nashville in July -- less than a two hour flight and they both got up to use the restroom! (The wife, twice) GRRRRRRR
I really enjoyed your trip report, and all the photos of POR! We are almost positive this will be our resort for our trip next fall!

krisri18

WRAPPING THIS UP

View attachment 312964

MDE has been wonky for the past couple of days, it's highly likely that you haven't lost your fast passes, they've just been experiencing "technical difficulties". Last I checked, the wait for tech support was 45 mins, hope you get it straightened out! Can't wait to hear about your next trip!

Gurt

It's a shame you had a rubbish ending to such a great trip. I sit isle seat if I can as I am a bathroom frequenter I think it's because I am a very nervous flyer but also I have joint issues and need to have a stretch around.

MeeskaMooska0714

I enjoyed your report so much! Despite the bad experience on the trip home, it's at least nice to know you are going back soon! :)

And thank you for doing the breakdown of the DDP! I know people always say that it is more expensive in the end, but I understand the convenience factor of not worrying about paying for things. I tend to choose cheaper menu items vs. something I might actually want but is more expensive.

riverside

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing! Can't wait for the next one!

I was thinking about the same thing for the Minnie Vans... I hope not.. such convenience to resort/resort travel.. especially Hoop Dee Doo!

Last time we did the dining plan we came out ahead because of our expensive flower and garden snack credit lunches. The next time we go it'll be food and wine, so because I love all inclusive so much, I will probably keep it. Although...if free dining is available during my time, we may just keep the QS free dining and not upgrade it. But pay out of pocket for a couple TS meals... Hubby has stated he doesn't want to do TS meals every night this time. We shall see what happens!
Thanks for reading!! I excited for the next one also!!

I do like the Minnie vans....not being able to get one at AK in my time of real need was a bummer though...

I go back & forth with the dining plan but it is nice to have the 'all inclusive" feeling. Wow--I wish R was that way. He's already compiling his restaurant list for every night--for June!!
Sorry the last leg of your trip ended the way it did! I was stuck next to a couple like that on a flight to Nashville in July -- less than a two hour flight and they both got up to use the restroom! (The wife, twice) GRRRRRRR
I really enjoyed your trip report, and all the photos of POR! We are almost positive this will be our resort for our trip next fall!
I'm the type that would probably burst before I had people keep getting up for me but I guess if you got to go there's not much you can do. I guess I should be glad that I don't have those issues!!
If you stay at POR I hope you love it!! Thanks so much!!

MDE has been wonky for the past couple of days, it's highly likely that you haven't lost your fast passes, they've just been experiencing "technical difficulties". Last I checked, the wait for tech support was 45 mins, hope you get it straightened out! Can't wait to hear about your next trip!
I went to the site from my computer & took pictures of the screen--so I have something to reference. All the FP's are there when I look at it from the computer. Thanks!!
It's a shame you had a rubbish ending to such a great trip. I sit isle seat if I can as I am a bathroom frequenter I think it's because I am a very nervous flyer but also I have joint issues and need to have a stretch around.
It was a pretty bad ending but it's better than not going at all. I guess it's something to look back on & laugh at. I prefer aisle seats also so I can stretch my legs out a bit more.
I really loved your report, looking forward to the next one!
Thank you & thanks for reading!!

riverside

Original Poster
I enjoyed your report so much! Despite the bad experience on the trip home, it's at least nice to know you are going back soon! :)

And thank you for doing the breakdown of the DDP! I know people always say that it is more expensive in the end, but I understand the convenience factor of not worrying about paying for things. I tend to choose cheaper menu items vs. something I might actually want but is more expensive.
Thank you very much!!That is very true--hopefully things will be a lot smoother on this next one.

They way I look at it is IMO there really isn't a right or wrong(so to speak) when it comes to the dining plan. Everyone should do what works for them. Like I said, there are times when we've gotten it & times when we haven't. Even though I didn't come out "ahead" this time(I probably never have)I was still happy that I got it so my niece wouldn't feel funny asking me every time she wanted something. I was really glad to put a pencil to it though. Now we don't have it for next week & for the heck of it I'm going to try to keep track of what we spend just to compare it again for the heck of it.

KMP

Loved your report! Thanks for writing :)
My niece and I leave a week from today and I am thinking our touring strategy will be very similar to yours.
I got the dining plan as well. My niece, J, would also be like H and definitely try to order the cheapest thing on the menu and not ask for snacks. It works for me for that reason!

riverside

Original Poster
Loved your report! Thanks for writing :)
My niece and I leave a week from today and I am thinking our touring strategy will be very similar to yours.
I got the dining plan as well. My niece, J, would also be like H and definitely try to order the cheapest thing on the menu and not ask for snacks. It works for me for that reason!
Thank you & thanks for reading!!
I will be there next week also!! Say hello if you see me!
Same reason it worked for me--great minds think alike!!;)
LOL.. we don't go to the end of October 2019... and I'm already compiling mine.... I have a spreadsheet going already.
I don't mind him compiling the list but he likes to repeat the same restaurants. It's fine but I would like him to try a few new things also!!

riverside

Original Poster
Great TR wishing you smooth and safe travels on your upcoming trip can't wait to read about it!
Thank you very much!! Thanks for the well wishes also--we're leaving Tuesday & we are supposed to get the rain from Florence Monday & Tuesday so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom