The Swan and Dolphin with a teacher discount or a moderate resort?

The_Bellringer

Original Poster
I'm a teacher, and if I use the teachers discount I can get a room (including the resort fee) for a bit cheaper than a moderate. I understand that I'd need to get my own transportation to the hotel without DME, but is there anything else I should consider?

Are the swan and dolphin as nice or nicer than moderates? I could never afford a Deluxe, not in my budget at all.

TabulaRasa

Swan and Dolphin have one thing going for them: location. The location is great, and the dining options are very nice as well. That being said, the theming is very polarizing. I'm personally not a fan, and would much rather stay at Port Orleans Riverside than Swan and Dolphin. Also, if you do decide to stay there, keep in mind that there are also hotel fees that Disney resorts do not have.

The_Bellringer

Original Poster
Swan and Dolphin have one thing going for them: location. The location is great, and the dining options are very nice as well. That being said, the theming is very polarizing. I'm personally not a fan, and would much rather stay at Port Orleans Riverside than Swan and Dolphin. Also, if you do decide to stay there, keep in mind that there are also hotel fees that Disney resorts do not have.
Even with the resort fee, it's still cheaper than any of the moderates. Is the walk to Epcot really far?

surfsupdon

You will be saving lots of time not having to wait for a bus and then not having the convoluted bus ride through construction zones to two theme parks. That's huge. Plus you will really enjoy walking around the boardwalk at night.

I teach as well, and pick Swan Dolphin when the price is right!

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Kate Alan

Just came back from a stay at the Dolphin and was very pleased with the stay. It is deluxe level, and there's nothing beating taking a stroll around the boardwalk first thing in the morning or after dark. Just booked another room there for early next year.

The_Bellringer

Original Poster
Just came back from a stay at the Dolphin and was very pleased with the stay. It is deluxe level, and there's nothing beating taking a stroll around the boardwalk first thing in the morning or after dark. Just booked another room there for early next year.
Thanks for your input! The location seems great now that I've looked into it a bit more. I'd only have to take buses to MK and AK.

JusticeDisney

This is a no brainer, IMHO. The Swolphin blows away any moderate out there, and some deluxes too. A freshly-renovated, gorgeous hotel (albeit not Disney-themed), great pools, the best collection of restaurants of any resort anywhere on property, and a location that can't be beat.

righttrack

It's a great stay, it's really the location. Food options are good too, plus you've always got World Showcase right next to you. You definitely want a park hopper staying here because if you're like us, you might find yourself in another park during the day, and back into Epcot for dinner and post dinner walk around World Showcase.

twag1

All of the above, plus keep in mind the "back" entrance to EPCOT which drops you right into the World Showcase. No long walk to the buses - - short walk to the boat and you're "home" before you know it.

We've stayed at both. At the Swan we had a balcony overlooking the lagoon and the boat landing. Spent a lot of time sitting out there soaking it all in.

You mentioned the express. Not sure if you're looking at a car or not, but you do have to pay for parking there which is on the negative side. And there is no DDP option, so your meals are out of pocket. That's a positive or a negative - depending on your point of view!

The times we've stayed were discounted as well, which made it an easy decision, and we were very pleased.

BoarderPhreak

If you're not hung up on the lack of Disney theming, the Swan/Dolphin are fantastic. Much cheaper generally and quite close to Epcot (which is a short walk or you can take the boat). The Boardwalk is literally around the corner. Plus you get most of the Disney resort perks (e.g. bus service).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom