Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Story of Two Nuts Who Decided to Go to Disney for NYE

Who?
The two nuts - my Mom (Mary) and myself (Megan)
IMG_9860.JPG

Where?
The Contemporary - strategically picked to help us survive the New Years crowds :)

When?
December 28, 2018 - January 2, 2019

Why?
For New Years! We had been to Disney once before for New Years which is the reason for the title :) On our first time there for New Years we had no clue it would be crowded but this time we willingly went for New Years well knowing the crowds would be awful! We are NUTS!

What to expect?
Slow moving days, a lot of pictures of crowds, a LOT of phone pictures (I did not film this trip so I got lazy and most days did not even carry my good camera :facepalm: - helped me manage the crowds), and a pretty big purchase :)

Day 1 - December 28, 2018
I had to work but was able to start my day a bit earlier so that I could make it to my flight on time :) My parents drove me to work and picked me up so we could head right to the airport. I was stressed (especially after last trip) that the weather would be bad but it was actually 45 degrees at home - unseasonably warm! We had to take our usual date signs at the airport :)
DSC_0576.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

As usual we made it though check in and security very quickly and we headed to get some food at Anchor Bar.
Z1drKy7oTAmTIOGRJ1n4tA.jpg
+wchtI31SpiJD68q2JeBug.jpg

We shared a quesadilla and boneless wings. Both things were delicious!
2UXCGkPwSQK1bFaYF3m6jw.jpg

kLQ%hAFvQwi0SBw9Qmoz4g.jpg

After eating we headed to our gate :)
IMG_0761.JPG

Kf1R+oDKQYa7wBO53Jcn6Q.jpg

cIDcO36mRJSTNqPSW6hLzg.jpg

Next up: more travel randomness

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Yay! I am not on Instagram so I will just have to guess about the large purchase for now. Can't wait for the reveal.

I will try not to keep you hanging too long :joyfull:

Me too, I want to find out about the large purchase 😀
I’ve finally found a picture of my mother to show you the similarity and why I’ve said your mom reminds me of mine (this picture would have been taken at least 35 years ago, when she was around 50). View attachment 338840

Oh wow!!! She does look like my Mom!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Can’t wait to hear all about it!!
I love your necklace!! One of my sisters & her family were there at the same time and they said the crowds were nuts!!

Thank you ! My necklace was a Birthday gift from my Mom :) The crowds were indeed nuts...

Hooray for the NY trip! We were there some of the same days :)
We also had the flight attendant issue with Southwest and this was the 3rd time I have had that happen with them, it seems to be a theme.

Oh really? Someone asked the FA if that was a common issue and she said no - she said she knew it would be tight but did not think it would hold up the flight :facepalm:o_O

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
After putting our stuff in our room we decided to head over to the Magic Kingdom since we did not have our luggage yet. In hindsight we probably should've picked up our luggage but we had already put on the Magical Express tags so it was too late. We actually went without bags which was a dream :hilarious::hilarious:. We have never ever ever gone to a park without bags! We figured we were safe without our things since we were only going for an hour :joyfull:
IMG_0779.JPG

When we got there I was expecting it to be really crowded but it was actually quite quiet since the fireworks ended.
It was "snoaping" when we walked in :)
IMG_0781.JPG

We had a FP for Buzz so we headed over there.
IMG_0784.JPG

It is one of our favorite attractions and a great way to start the trip. I will spare you our ride photo...its awful :joyfull:. We debated going on the Peoplemover after this but I actually made us a FP for IASW so we headed there next.
IMG_0785.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

fullsizeoutput_293c.jpeg

We were exhausted at this point. I felt bad because when we walked into the Magic Kingdom Mickey had a short wait but we bypassed it to make it to our FP in time. He continued to have a short wait when we left too but we were exhausted.
Well...not before some photos :joyfull:
IMG_0792.JPG

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0796.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_415079155627.JPG

We got back to the room sometime around 11:15 p.m. Our luggage was still not there which was a bummer. It had been over three hours and I had expected it to be there somewhere around 11/11:30. Thankfully we packed our toothbrushes, but we had to just suck it up and go to bed with regular clothes on. Why I managed to pack a toothbrush and not pjs ? - no idea.
Anyway, my mom woke me up at 1:30 AM. Our luggage was still not there but we had a message from Bell services saying that they received it. The message came right after we fell asleep at like 12:05 am. I had the understanding that they would drop it off no matter what time so I thought that was odd but maybe they just realized we were probably sleeping. We actually called Bell services at 1:30 to see if they could bring it up but no one answered so we just waited until the morning. Moral of the story, we decided to just pick up our luggage anytime we have an evening flight from now on.

Next up: Day 2!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 December 29, 2018
We somehow managed to get up by 7 AM since apparently we can never sleep in. We got ready to head to the Animal Kingdom. It was already open (at 7 AM a.m.) - hooray New Year's hours :depressed:
Our first FP was at 8 AM a.m. so we decided to just try and eat some breakfast at AK. We just missed the bus but thankfully another one came right behind it and this one was empty.
Why do we look mad? :hilarious: Hint: probably because we both had sinus headaches :joyfull:
IMG_0797.JPG

DSC_0586.JPG

I thought these flowers around the bus stop were pretty :)
DSC_0587.JPG

My Mom got picked for security :joyfull:
DSC_0588.JPG

The AK tree was the only one we did not see on our last trip :)
fullsizeoutput_293f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_293e.jpeg

We stopped for a PP picture right away
IMG_0819.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_415080859728.JPG

It looks gloomy out but I promise it was warm!

Next up: we immediately buy something...

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
I had been eyeing up the new purple ears ever since they came out. I thought it was going to be another Rose Gold situation but they were everywhere! I love how the new ears are much more comfortable too :)
New Ears for the New Year as my Mom stated :)
IMG_0799.JPG

We stopped for a PP picture with our new ears :)
IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0822.JPG

Then we finally headed towards our first FP
fullsizeoutput_2940.jpeg

DSC_0593.JPG

DSC_0594.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

Everest!
We were first row :)
IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_AK_415080570091.jpg

We had a blast as usual...albeit not the best ride to go on when you have some sinus issues :joyfull::joyfull:
Next up: more AK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
After Everest we headed over towards Africa
Ok...these colored lanterns are new right? I've never seen them !
DSC_0597.JPG

We were starving so we headed to Stabucks after this. There aren't a ton of breakfast options in AK so it was especially packed.
Overall I waited over 30 minutes for my food. Our drinks came very quickly and my Mom got a cupcake so she secured us a table while I waited. The people were really getting angry in there but I also made some friends along the way :joyfull:
Cupcake for my Mom - it was some kind of caramel expresso or something
IMG_0828.JPG

I had a bacon, gouda and egg as usual
IMG_0806.JPG

After our long wait we headed over to Pandora for our NRJ FP
DSC_0598.JPG

DSC_0599.JPG

Heres some pictures of crowds for you. It was about 9:30 am and Flight of Passage was a 5 hour wait :jawdrop:
DSC_0600.JPG

DSC_0601.JPG

DSC_0602.JPG

NRJ was a 110 minute wait. I love this ride, I find it very peaceful and classic but I would NEVER wait that long for it :joyfull: My Mom said that too while we were on the ride but we forgot the people next to us did actually wait that long - whoops.
DSC_0603.JPG

DSC_0604.JPG

Next up: more AK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom