Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Story of Two Nuts Who Decided to Go to Disney for NYE

Who?
The two nuts - my Mom (Mary) and myself (Megan)
IMG_9860.JPG

Where?
The Contemporary - strategically picked to help us survive the New Years crowds :)

When?
December 28, 2018 - January 2, 2019

Why?
For New Years! We had been to Disney once before for New Years which is the reason for the title :) On our first time there for New Years we had no clue it would be crowded but this time we willingly went for New Years well knowing the crowds would be awful! We are NUTS!

What to expect?
Slow moving days, a lot of pictures of crowds, a LOT of phone pictures (I did not film this trip so I got lazy and most days did not even carry my good camera :facepalm: - helped me manage the crowds), and a pretty big purchase :)

Day 1 - December 28, 2018
I had to work but was able to start my day a bit earlier so that I could make it to my flight on time :) My parents drove me to work and picked me up so we could head right to the airport. I was stressed (especially after last trip) that the weather would be bad but it was actually 45 degrees at home - unseasonably warm! We had to take our usual date signs at the airport :)
DSC_0576.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

As usual we made it though check in and security very quickly and we headed to get some food at Anchor Bar.
Z1drKy7oTAmTIOGRJ1n4tA.jpg
+wchtI31SpiJD68q2JeBug.jpg

We shared a quesadilla and boneless wings. Both things were delicious!
2UXCGkPwSQK1bFaYF3m6jw.jpg

kLQ%hAFvQwi0SBw9Qmoz4g.jpg

After eating we headed to our gate :)
IMG_0761.JPG

Kf1R+oDKQYa7wBO53Jcn6Q.jpg

cIDcO36mRJSTNqPSW6hLzg.jpg

Next up: more travel randomness

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 1 continued
Its not often we can wear flip flops in December :joyfull:
j39bK%LxSp+%jtAmby+doQ.jpg

We were waiting to board and I could see the one Southwest worker on the radio buzzing around. I was like well - here we go again. We have had a string of delayed flights as of late so I was waiting for it. Indeed our flight would be delayed but only because we were waiting for a flight attendant who was on a different flight that was coming in. Her plane did land but could not pull into the gate because the Vegas flight next to us loaded slow mo and was still there.
oC4q1yu9SkOYVjOtS%lfjA.jpg

Anyway, thankfully they let her off first and she ran over while everyone cheered :) We could not even line up for the plane until she was on it which was weird. Overall we were about 20 minutes delayed so not awful. Spoiler alert - we were also delayed on the way home though....come on Southwest :hungover:
MZq%6KjkRPSiGk2HFfTKlA.jpg

V%joLh9ATFqXKVaiFPdvPQ.jpg

Our flight was super long. We had to go way out of the way to avoid weather (which unbeknownst to us actually canceled many flights - I'm glad I did not know that or I would have freaked out). Eventually, though, we did indeed make it.
DSC_0585.JPG

DSC_0584.JPG

We headed down to the Magical Express - I expected it to be crowded but it was actually pretty dead.
IMG_0774.JPG

We waited about 20 minutes on the Magical Express and headed off. Our resort was the first stop! Hooray!
I should mention that both my Mom and I were sick this trip. I was closer to the tail end of it but my Mom was just starting with the cold that I gave her. It was one of the main reasons I decided not to film this trip for YouTube since I had no voice :)
It was around 10 pm at this point and I still did not have a room ready text or a room number in the app. We planned on changing credit cards around anyway so checked in. Not sure what the issue was but we did indeed have a room :)
We headed to our room and made it just in time to see fireworks from our balcony!
IMG_0775.JPG

IMG_0776.JPG

We had a theme park view purposely for NYE :)
Oh hey Contemporary tree!
IMG_0778.JPG

Next up: we head to the MK!

BrerWayne

Day 1 continued
Its not often we can wear flip flops in December :joyfull:
View attachment 338734
We were waiting to board and I could see the one Southwest worker on the radio buzzing around. I was like well - here we go again. We have had a string of delayed flights as of late so I was waiting for it. Indeed our flight would be delayed but only because we were waiting for a flight attendant who was on a different flight that was coming in. Her plane did land but could not pull into the gate because the Vegas flight next to us loaded slow mo and was still there.
View attachment 338736
Anyway, thankfully they let her off first and she ran over while everyone cheered :) We could not even line up for the plane until she was on it which was weird. Overall we were about 20 minutes delayed so not awful. Spoiler alert - we were also delayed on the way home though....come on Southwest :hungover:
View attachment 338737
View attachment 338738
Our flight was super long. We had to go way out of the way to avoid weather (which unbeknownst to us actually canceled many flights - I'm glad I did not know that or I would have freaked out). Eventually, though, we did indeed make it.
View attachment 338741
View attachment 338740
We headed down to the Magical Express - I expected it to be crowded but it was actually pretty dead.
View attachment 338752
We waited about 20 minutes on the Magical Express and headed off. Our resort was the first stop! Hooray!
I should mention that both my Mom and I were sick this trip. I was closer to the tail end of it but my Mom was just starting with the cold that I gave her. It was one of the main reasons I decided not to film this trip for YouTube since I had no voice :)
It was around 10 pm at this point and I still did not have a room ready text or a room number in the app. We planned on changing credit cards around anyway so checked in. Not sure what the issue was but we did indeed have a room :)
We headed to our room and made it just in time to see fireworks from our balcony!
View attachment 338763
View attachment 338764
We had a theme park view purposely for NYE :)
Oh hey Contemporary tree!
View attachment 338765

Next up: we head to the MK!
Love your trip reports, they are so well done. I’m a big fan.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Following along, can't wait to hear about the rest of your adventures! I've always wanted to go NYE, but have been too chicken to fight the crowds.

As long as you are OK with taking it slow and not riding a ton of things its not too bad :)

You're not nuts, you're brave! Tackling Disney on NYE takes some serious stamina!

Stamina some days - relaxing some others :joyfull: We spent a lot of time at the pool

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I always want to follow you on IG but I’m afraid of spoilers! Haha and I live for trip reports so I guess I’ll just have to stay away from your IG for now :hilarious:

:joyfull: At least for a few days of my TR. I do post a ton on my Disney IG but not much on my regular one if you ever want to follow that one :happy:

Hi Megan
I am glad you started this one
Not being on IG I am looking forward to the details
Too bad we could not connect before Christmas - maybe some time in the near future

Max

At some point in life we will meet up!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom