Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Story of Two Nuts Who Decided to Go to Disney for NYE

Who?
The two nuts - my Mom (Mary) and myself (Megan)
IMG_9860.JPG

Where?
The Contemporary - strategically picked to help us survive the New Years crowds :)

When?
December 28, 2018 - January 2, 2019

Why?
For New Years! We had been to Disney once before for New Years which is the reason for the title :) On our first time there for New Years we had no clue it would be crowded but this time we willingly went for New Years well knowing the crowds would be awful! We are NUTS!

What to expect?
Slow moving days, a lot of pictures of crowds, a LOT of phone pictures (I did not film this trip so I got lazy and most days did not even carry my good camera :facepalm: - helped me manage the crowds), and a pretty big purchase :)

Day 1 - December 28, 2018
I had to work but was able to start my day a bit earlier so that I could make it to my flight on time :) My parents drove me to work and picked me up so we could head right to the airport. I was stressed (especially after last trip) that the weather would be bad but it was actually 45 degrees at home - unseasonably warm! We had to take our usual date signs at the airport :)
DSC_0576.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

As usual we made it though check in and security very quickly and we headed to get some food at Anchor Bar.
Z1drKy7oTAmTIOGRJ1n4tA.jpg
+wchtI31SpiJD68q2JeBug.jpg

We shared a quesadilla and boneless wings. Both things were delicious!
2UXCGkPwSQK1bFaYF3m6jw.jpg

kLQ%hAFvQwi0SBw9Qmoz4g.jpg

After eating we headed to our gate :)
IMG_0761.JPG

Kf1R+oDKQYa7wBO53Jcn6Q.jpg

cIDcO36mRJSTNqPSW6hLzg.jpg

Next up: more travel randomness

Megbutnotmegan

Oh man!! We were so close to a meet up! I was at the earlier Mk dessert party!! We decided to go early so the kids could get to bed before midnight. My nephew followed that plan but my 2 ended up being awake until midnight so we watched the late fireworks from the Poly.

Pardonmypixiedust

@amjt660 we have ours planned after our upcoming jan30-feb 6 for Dec 24-jan 2nd. I also am apprehensive now after reading @Doc Disney & @lostpro9het but it's on @Big Hair 's bucket list. it's definitely a family must do but I think it will be a one and done for us. can't think of anyone to do recon for the holiday trip tho! well maybe Queen @Tuvalu :)
doc we have a dessert party res this trip also ! can't wait to try the Oreo push pop ! :D

susan lees

Day 2 continued
View attachment 339452
View attachment 339453
We headed upstairs to one of the fireplaces and looked at the tree from there. One thing I love about the WL is all the nooks and crannies there are to explore :)
View attachment 339454
View attachment 339455
View attachment 339456
View attachment 339457
View attachment 339459
View attachment 339460
View attachment 339461
View attachment 339462

Next up: more WL
Following along.
We also encountered a few quite difficult CMs at the barriers at French quarter in November whether we were driving ourselves or were being dropped off by uber. Our son and daughter were staying in all star sports where we encountered the worse customer service when trying to enter the resort to pick them up one day. They were literally refusing us entry despite our explaining our reason. I eventually asked for a manager then all of a sudden it was all fine and she was raving about our Scottish accents and she would love to visit. I dreaded entering at the barriers every time we had to for the rest of our trip :banghead:
We have toyed with buying DVC points for a few years but have never been to a presentation for fear of it being too pushy. Reading your post we might have a go in November when we are over.

Last edited:

Tuvalu

@amjt660 we have ours planned after our upcoming jan30-feb 6 for Dec 24-jan 2nd. I also am apprehensive now after reading @Doc Disney & @lostpro9het but it's on @Big Hair 's bucket list. it's definitely a family must do but I think it will be a one and done for us. can't think of anyone to do recon for the holiday trip tho! well maybe Queen @Tuvalu :)
doc we have a dessert party res this trip also ! can't wait to try the Oreo push pop ! :D
Visiting between Christmas and New Year’s?
Been there.
Done that.
NEVER again.

And BTW, that was in 1995.....

lostpro9het

Based on your report and @lostpro9het I have decided that I am not a NYE at WDW type of guy
Too busy to really enjoy anything is what I get from it
If I was an AP and went more often it might make sense but when I go I want to do stuff
Christmas is also getting less and less tolerable (I sound really old don't I)
Max
Yeah, it was a reason we chose BCV as a room so we could a have nice pool to avoid the madness. during the day.
@amjt660 we have ours planned after our upcoming jan30-feb 6 for Dec 24-jan 2nd. I also am apprehensive now after reading @Doc Disney & @lostpro9het but it's on @Big Hair 's bucket list. it's definitely a family must do but I think it will be a one and done for us.

I think @Big Hair will have an awesome time regardless the quantity of bodies he's got to wade through. I'm still of the "Everyone should try it once" mindset. That said, we're done with WDW for a while #illbecruisnigmore. We will probably do a day visit before and after our cruise in May. Other than that,I see us visiting DL before we go back to WDW.

Tuvalu

@Tuvalu
do you agree with @lostpro9het that it's a "must do" at least once ?
Only if you have the personality that crowds energize you (“we’re all celebrating together, isn’t this great!”) or don’t bother you (“I’m patient and never mind waiting for my turn.”)

If crowds make you anxious, you need personal space, and are more of an introvert than a party person, visiting the parks during the busiest time of year is going to be more stressful than fun.

As much as I think NYE fireworks would be AMAZING to see in person, the effort (and expense) is not for me.

Pardonmypixiedust

Only if you have the personality that crowds energize you (“we’re all celebrating together, isn’t this great!”) or don’t bother you (“I’m patient and never mind waiting for my turn.”)

If crowds make you anxious, you need personal space, and are more of an introvert than a party person, visiting the parks during the busiest time of year is going to be more stressful than fun.

As much as I think NYE fireworks would be AMAZING to see in person, the effort (and expense) is not for me.

all solid points. I guess you have to experience the mayhem to truly appreciate the other times of year.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Oh man!! We were so close to a meet up! I was at the earlier Mk dessert party!! We decided to go early so the kids could get to bed before midnight. My nephew followed that plan but my 2 ended up being awake until midnight so we watched the late fireworks from the Poly.

Oh my goodness! Thats crazy were were so close to meeting! How was the view from the Poly??

Based on your report and @lostpro9het I have decided that I am not a NYE at WDW type of guy
Too busy to really enjoy anything is what I get from it
If I was an AP and went more often it might make sense but when I go I want to do stuff
Christmas is also getting less and less tolerable (I sound really old don't I)

Still following!!

Max

Yes I think for us being AP holders and being lucky enough to go so often we did not mind moving at a different pace. Like @lostpro9het we purposely chose a hotel that worked well with the crowds ie could walk to the MK, take a boat to WL and FW and use monorails ! Its doable !

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Yeah, it was a reason we chose BCV as a room so we could a have nice pool to avoid the madness. during the day.

I think @Big Hair will have an awesome time regardless the quantity of bodies he's got to wade through. I'm still of the "Everyone should try it once" mindset. That said, we're done with WDW for a while #illbecruisnigmore. We will probably do a day visit before and after our cruise in May. Other than that,I see us visiting DL before we go back to WDW.
all solid points. I guess you have to experience the mayhem to truly appreciate the other times of year.

I think its worth it! In the moment I may have been overwhelmed here and there but I am considering going back again in 2021. You just have to go in knowing its not going to be fast paced and you may do a lot of pool relaxing. However, we did not actually feel like we had that much free time considering. Surprisingly I was able to add on 4th and 5th Fps many times despite the crowds! I think next time we will go stay at an Epcot resort because everyone says Epcot is pretty awesome on NYE too! I think the fireworks are fantastic. Videos do not do them justice - they are well worth seeing in person!!! Dont be nervous I say do it!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Following along.
We also encountered a few quite difficult CMs at the barriers at French quarter in November whether we were driving ourselves or were being dropped off by uber. Our son and daughter were staying in all star sports where we encountered the worse customer service when trying to enter the resort to pick them up one day. They were literally refusing us entry despite our explaining our reason. I eventually asked for a manager then all of a sudden it was all fine and she was raving about our Scottish accents and she would love to visit. I dreaded entering at the barriers every time we had to for the rest of our trip :banghead:
We have toyed with buying DVC points for a few years but have never been to a presentation for fear of it being too pushy. Reading your post we might have a go in November when we are over.

Really?! thats crazy. I was thinking it was so we didnt try to park in the Contemporary parking lot but what's the reason with All Stars and POFQ - so odd! Oh yes do the presentation. They were very honest and I think if I did not mind really would not have cared!

We did WDW NYE this year and LOVED it! We are actually planning to do it again in 2020. We took it slow and had a TS meal during the busiest parts of the day where we all relaxed. We actually accomplished more than we expected and everyone in our group of 11 had a blast. It might be my favorite trip ever!

I agree! We actually loved it as well! I think if I wasn't sick I would have enjoyed it even more!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
planning is essential and even more crucial during the holiday. you truly are wdw jedi. were going to throw in the Rivera for the holiday trip this year. I'm with you @Doc Disney
nike style, just do it

I may have obsessively planned this NYE trip. I booked like 2 dessert parties and 3 California Grill reservations since they would not release the times for fireworks for forever. Also booked our hotel like 12 months out - but could not book Jan 1 and when that did release my room was not available to had to stay an extra day. It was worth it though :joyfull:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 - January 1, 2019
I truly do not know why we can never sleep in. We were up by 7:15 am. You would think being sick we would sleep in but no - our bodies are set to be up :joyfull:
It was SUPER foggy this morning
IMG_1203.JPG

Can not even see the MK!
IMG_1205.JPG

We headed down to Contempo Cafe for some breakfast
My Mom had a waffle again so I did not take a picture. I had a side of breakfast potatoes and a side of bacon. The potatoes were much better than I anticipated !
IMG_1206.JPG

IMG_1207.JPG

After our breakfast we headed to the MK :)
We did a bit of shopping then rope dropped Buzz
IMG_1208.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_415113335710.jpg

Then we headed to Dumbo. It was still crowded but not nearly as crowded as it was the day before!
IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1214.JPG

Next up: More MK

Pardonmypixiedust

I may have obsessively planned this NYE trip. I booked like 2 dessert parties and 3 California Grill reservations since they would not release the times for fireworks for forever. Also booked our hotel like 12 months out - but could not book Jan 1 and when that did release my room was not available to had to stay an extra day. It was worth it though :joyfull:

hey i would rather be over prepared! planning around magic hours mostly. we have several rough drafts that get tweaked here and there. my wife planned this upcoming trip this month. first time @Big Hair has handed over the reins. she has a "Disney master plan" on excel! Lol! there is a couple I know that went down during Xmas and waited in line for 2-3 hrs.....how!? what!? good lawd WHY!

#preplan

ps- you have such a good eye for pics. that's a great shot of foggy MK. a wonderful pic of your mom there.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
Our first FP was for 7DMT so we headed there next
Since I was slacking on lights...
IMG_1215.JPG

IMG_1216.JPG

fullsizeoutput_29da.jpeg

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_8302275465.jpeg

Space Mountain was up next
IMG_1218.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_415114267040.jpg

Then we happened to be walking by Pooh and Tigger as they were about to come out so we hopped in line. We do this meet and greet all the time because we love it. We love meeting them ourselves but I also love watching everyone else meet them as well because they spend so much time with everyone. There was a boy about 10/11 in line ahead of us who met Pooh and started crying when he told Pooh he was his favorite. It was adorable!
IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1225.JPG

IMG_1226.JPG

Next up: more MK

Last edited:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
hey i would rather be over prepared! planning around magic hours mostly. we have several rough drafts that get tweaked here and there. my wife planned this upcoming trip this month. first time @Big Hair has handed over the reins. she has a "Disney master plan" on excel! Lol! there is a couple I know that went down during Xmas and waited in line for 2-3 hrs.....how!? what!? good lawd WHY!

#preplan

ps- you have such a good eye for pics. that's a great shot of foggy MK. a wonderful pic of your mom there.

Thank you! And oh my goodness you could not pay for me to wait in line that long ever! Or pay me to give up the planning @Big Hair :joyfull:;)
Although no one in my family would voluntarily plan a trip anyway :hilarious:

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 5 continued
My Mom said Tigger was trying to say she was also wearing "stripes"
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_415115522421.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_415115522427.JPG

Apparently we stopped taking many pictures after this but we did BTMR
IMG_1230.JPG

Then a PP picture
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_415115498258.JPG

Then we used our final DVC bonus FP for Haunted Mansion - but I took no photos apparently. It was quite warm and sunny at this point so we decided to head out and back to the Contemporary for some lunch and some pool time.
We headed to Contempo Cafe
My Mom said this chair must have been bad since it was all alone :joyfull:
IMG_1231.JPG

We both got the grilled cheese (Monterey Jack, Boursin and White Cheddar, Sourdough Bread) which came with French fries and tomato bisque
IMG_1235.JPG

IMG_1236.JPG

It was fatastic! Especially the bisque which tasted just like the bisque at Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe in Disneyland :inlove::inlove::inlove:
If we did not have a big dinner coming up later I would have eaten my Moms soup too :joyfull:
After eating we headed down to the pool
Oh wait first the glass slipper of the Gingerbread Display
IMG_1238.JPG

These chairs make me laugh - it looks like they are set up to worship the tree - hence the photo :joyfull:
IMG_1241.JPG

Next up: pool time

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom