Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Story of Two Nuts Who Decided to Go to Disney for NYE

Who?
The two nuts - my Mom (Mary) and myself (Megan)
IMG_9860.JPG

Where?
The Contemporary - strategically picked to help us survive the New Years crowds :)

When?
December 28, 2018 - January 2, 2019

Why?
For New Years! We had been to Disney once before for New Years which is the reason for the title :) On our first time there for New Years we had no clue it would be crowded but this time we willingly went for New Years well knowing the crowds would be awful! We are NUTS!

What to expect?
Slow moving days, a lot of pictures of crowds, a LOT of phone pictures (I did not film this trip so I got lazy and most days did not even carry my good camera :facepalm: - helped me manage the crowds), and a pretty big purchase :)

Day 1 - December 28, 2018
I had to work but was able to start my day a bit earlier so that I could make it to my flight on time :) My parents drove me to work and picked me up so we could head right to the airport. I was stressed (especially after last trip) that the weather would be bad but it was actually 45 degrees at home - unseasonably warm! We had to take our usual date signs at the airport :)
DSC_0576.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

As usual we made it though check in and security very quickly and we headed to get some food at Anchor Bar.
Z1drKy7oTAmTIOGRJ1n4tA.jpg
+wchtI31SpiJD68q2JeBug.jpg

We shared a quesadilla and boneless wings. Both things were delicious!
2UXCGkPwSQK1bFaYF3m6jw.jpg

kLQ%hAFvQwi0SBw9Qmoz4g.jpg

After eating we headed to our gate :)
IMG_0761.JPG

Kf1R+oDKQYa7wBO53Jcn6Q.jpg

cIDcO36mRJSTNqPSW6hLzg.jpg

Next up: more travel randomness

Doc Disney

Original Poster
View attachment 340696

hoooray!!!! beautiful home resort ! one of the few we haven't stayed in. it looks amazing. going to need a review on those studios.

what a day

Aww!! Thats the sweetest thing ever thank you for making it! I don't even know when I will be staying in them but I am hopeful to get a preview of one in Feb :)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
IMG_1006.JPG

IMG_1009.JPG

We headed downstairs to check in for dinner so that we could go back upstairs :joyfull:
IMG_1010.JPG

We were seated right away at California Grill and we received our bread and appetizer even before our drinks :joyfull:
IMG_1011.JPG

We always get the Sonoma Goat Cheese Ravioli but it seemingly always gives us a stomachache at night so we skipped it and opted for the cheese board instead
IMG_1013.JPG

IMG_1012.JPG

It was good but not great. I would say I enjoyed it more than my Mom because I like any kind of cheese. Also we still got a small stomachache this night anyway so next time we will just go back to the goat cheese ravioli :joyfull:
We decided to get a cocktail to celebrate my DVC purchase. Maybe its the cocktails that give us the stomachache? Trying to think of something we always have there :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
I had a blueberry lemon drop martini
IMG_1014.JPG

And my Mom had a side car
IMG_1015.JPG

IMG_1017.JPG

IMG_1019.JPG

Next up: more California grill

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
For entrees my Mom ordered the pepperoni pizza
IMG_1020.JPG

And I ordered the Oak Fired Filet of Beef
IMG_1021.JPG

The risotto was back and it was delicious as ever!
As usual both of our entrees were fantastic.
Anyway, we booked this dinner so we could watch the first showing of Fantasy in the Sky (the NYE fireworks).
I slid over to my Mom's side of the table so I could watch them :)
IMG_1022.JPG

At first we weren't super impressed with the fireworks as they seemed kind of like the usual ones but in the end they proved me wrong!
IMG_1023.JPG

IMG_1024.JPG

They were awesome!
After dinner we wandered around a bit. We did walk over to BLT to see if we could go up to Top of the World since the fireworks were over/not happening again for hours but they were not letting anyone up there who was not actually staying there. Makes sense but I was still a bit bummed. We then decided to try and take a bus to DS but the bus for that was packed and we feared we would be stuck in traffic later because of the fireworks. Our next plan was to take the monorail to the Poly and GF to see the decor. However, when we got up there the line for the monorail was INSANE and the monorails were packed so we bailed (had to ask a CM to let us back down the escalator). So...eventually we decided to just go to the MK since we could walk there :joyfull:
IMG_1028.JPG

PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_415098633046.JPG

It was obviously super crowded and I could only find FPs for much later in the evening so we decided to to Hall of Presidents since we never saw it since its update.
IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1037.JPG

I thought the update was nice - the music was good!
We were exhausted at this point since we did get up early to rope drop (and we knew we had a long day ahead of us the next day) so we headed back out the park after this. One odd thing is there was no Christmas music just super loud regular/DJ music everywhere in the park. It was the same the next day when I saw actual DJs so I guess it was indeed DJ music but it was odd to hear it.
Only 360 days until Christmas :joyfull:
IMG_1038.JPG

Next up: finishing up the day

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 3 continued
IMG_1039.JPG

Somehow I was hungry so I got some popcorn :hungry:
IMG_1043.JPG

Views from our balcony
DSC_0750.JPG
IMG_1042.JPG

Tree with a side of electrical water pageant
DSC_0756.JPG

I considered setting an alarm to see the fireworks again at 11:50 but I was too tired. Turns out I didn't need the alarm anyway. They were so loud they shook the entire building :joyfull:
View from my bed
IMG_1055.JPG

Then from the balcony
IMG_1057.JPG

IMG_1058.JPG

IMG_1063.JPG

Next up: Day 4 - NYE!

Last edited:

Jedi Stitch

Day 3 continued
The end of the line actually ended up being at the top of those stairs that go down to One Man's Dream :jawdrop:
View attachment 340114
Meanwhile my Mom and I went to Starbucks for breakfast.
I had my regular breakfast sandwich and my Mom had this cupcake that was peanut butter or something
View attachment 340115
View attachment 340116
After our breakfast we stopped for some PP pictures
View attachment 340117
Then we wandered...
This dog in a window was so cute
View attachment 340118
Some guy laughed with us about the phones when we were taking this photo :joyfull:
View attachment 340119
Then some more PP pictures
View attachment 340120
View attachment 340121
View attachment 340122
I swear to you I have never noticed this blue building before
View attachment 340123
We figured it must be Aerosmith (and it is) but it will come into play later.

Next up: more HS
The Tower of Terror is my daughters favorite ride. She love the scary/thrill vibe of the Twilight Zone. She has decided that DCA Mission Break out is a Close second, to the Tower. I myself am a StarWars fan so I am hoping for a great ride when the lands open up.

Jedi Stitch

Day 2 continued
**warning super wordy post **

So we headed to meet up with our good friend Kyle and he took us backstage to get to our van. He confirmed our suspicion about the blue building being Aerosmith and showed us the tunnel where you take off! Kyle told us that just a few days before he saw Luke Bryan backstage :joyfull: There were a lot of people back there but no one famous that I could see - just those VIP tour people eating snacks :hilarious:
Our van driver's name was George and he was negative Nelly about everything. He was non stop complaining about everything that used to be at the parks but isn't anymore :facepalm:
We got dropped off by Mr. Pleasant at the DVC part of Polynesian and we were greeted by someone else who brought us to a room (aka a hotel room made into an office) to meet with a DVC representative. It was a little awkward at first but Marcel (the DVC guy) was really nice. They essentially ask you a bunch of questions to see if you would even benefit from DVC. It was super low pressure and very informative.
View attachment 340562
View attachment 340563
View attachment 340564
I texted @sheriffwoody before I even went on the tour to say I was scared I would buy it and she told me to stay strong :joyfull:
Anyway, after the whole presentation Marcel showed us a Poly studio to get an idea, showed us the price for points and left so we could discuss it. I went into the presentation already knowing I wanted DVC so this kind of confirmed it for me. I was suprised when my Mom said she thought it was a good idea too and she thought things would work out for me this day. I called my sister Betta - who is the most financially savvy (besides my Dad) and doesn't spend money on everything like I do - and she said I should do it and said she feels like she should look into it now too.
So that was it....they were offering full contracts only for Copper Creek and Aluani so I chose Copper Creek (obviously ... not even manageable to go to Hawaii more than once in my life :joyfull:). Before we even got in there and knew the choices we talked about how we would like Bay Lake Tower or Wilderness Lodge so that was perfect! They could offer me a BLT contract but it would have been a shorter one and they couldn't give me the end of year discount that they were offering for Copper Creek. Not like we can't stay at BLT or add points there :)
Anyway like I said they were super non pushy and even when I agreed they were super supportive about it - giving all sorts of payment options and suggesting the amount of points I should start with.
I signed a bunch of paperwork and soon enough we were on our way! It was nuts. I felt bad because we were inside on a beautiful day for almost 3 hours but my Mom promised me she did not mind - especially since it will benefit her too :hilarious:
My Mom took this picture and pretended it was Mickey saying he took all my money :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
View attachment 340565
:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
View attachment 340566
My Mom is making a zero sign since she did not buy anything :joyfull:
View attachment 340567
View attachment 340568
View attachment 340569
I still can not believe I did it! I dont think it has hit me yet :inlove:
Our van eventually showed up to take us back to the Contemporary
This van driver was no more pleasant than George - weird .
View attachment 340570

Next up: more randomness
Ok, now I am jealous.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Congratulations on the DVC purchase! How exciting!!! :happy:

Thank you!!!

The Tower of Terror is my daughters favorite ride. She love the scary/thrill vibe of the Twilight Zone. She has decided that DCA Mission Break out is a Close second, to the Tower. I myself am a StarWars fan so I am hoping for a great ride when the lands open up.

Ok, now I am jealous.

I like Mission Breakout but I think Tower of Terror is still better :joyfull: I can't wait for the Star Wars attractions

Doc Disney

Original Poster
my favorite view @ WDW is SM at night from bay lake. that blue & green at night is just...magical

excellent pic!

I agree I love that view! Thank you!

Congrats on the DVC purchase! Looking forward to some pics from your new place. ;)

Thank you :) It will be a bit before I stay there though (well on the DVC side anyway)

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 4 December 31, 2018
We had every intention on sleeping in so naturally we got up at 7 am :joyfull:
We popped down to Contempo Cafe for some breakfast. We both had a Mickey waffle with bacon
IMG_1065.JPG

Then we finally went to see the Gingerbread display
IMG_1067.JPG

IMG_1068.JPG

IMG_1071.JPG

IMG_1072.JPG

IMG_1073.JPG

IMG_1074.JPG

We decided to take a walk over to MK and use one of our DVC bonus FPs
We chose BTMR for our FP
IMG_1075.JPG

IMG_1076.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

Next up: more MK

Doc Disney

Original Poster
I like the T-shirts! I think both you and your mom rocked them! ;) And are those your new purple ears? They look blue in all of your pictures ... but still really cool! :happy:

Thank you!
They are the new ears! They are indeed purple I think the way the bow photographs I can see how you think they look blue :inlove:

BrerWayne

Day 2 continued
**warning super wordy post **

So we headed to meet up with our good friend Kyle and he took us backstage to get to our van. He confirmed our suspicion about the blue building being Aerosmith and showed us the tunnel where you take off! Kyle told us that just a few days before he saw Luke Bryan backstage :joyfull: There were a lot of people back there but no one famous that I could see - just those VIP tour people eating snacks :hilarious:
Our van driver's name was George and he was negative Nelly about everything. He was non stop complaining about everything that used to be at the parks but isn't anymore :facepalm:
We got dropped off by Mr. Pleasant at the DVC part of Polynesian and we were greeted by someone else who brought us to a room (aka a hotel room made into an office) to meet with a DVC representative. It was a little awkward at first but Marcel (the DVC guy) was really nice. They essentially ask you a bunch of questions to see if you would even benefit from DVC. It was super low pressure and very informative.
View attachment 340562
View attachment 340563
View attachment 340564
I texted @sheriffwoody before I even went on the tour to say I was scared I would buy it and she told me to stay strong :joyfull:
Anyway, after the whole presentation Marcel showed us a Poly studio to get an idea, showed us the price for points and left so we could discuss it. I went into the presentation already knowing I wanted DVC so this kind of confirmed it for me. I was suprised when my Mom said she thought it was a good idea too and she thought things would work out for me this day. I called my sister Betta - who is the most financially savvy (besides my Dad) and doesn't spend money on everything like I do - and she said I should do it and said she feels like she should look into it now too.
So that was it....they were offering full contracts only for Copper Creek and Aluani so I chose Copper Creek (obviously ... not even manageable to go to Hawaii more than once in my life :joyfull:). Before we even got in there and knew the choices we talked about how we would like Bay Lake Tower or Wilderness Lodge so that was perfect! They could offer me a BLT contract but it would have been a shorter one and they couldn't give me the end of year discount that they were offering for Copper Creek. Not like we can't stay at BLT or add points there :)
Anyway like I said they were super non pushy and even when I agreed they were super supportive about it - giving all sorts of payment options and suggesting the amount of points I should start with.
I signed a bunch of paperwork and soon enough we were on our way! It was nuts. I felt bad because we were inside on a beautiful day for almost 3 hours but my Mom promised me she did not mind - especially since it will benefit her too :hilarious:
My Mom took this picture and pretended it was Mickey saying he took all my money :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
View attachment 340565
:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
View attachment 340566
My Mom is making a zero sign since she did not buy anything :joyfull:
View attachment 340567
View attachment 340568
View attachment 340569
I still can not believe I did it! I dont think it has hit me yet :inlove:
Our van eventually showed up to take us back to the Contemporary
This van driver was no more pleasant than George - weird .
View attachment 340570

Next up: more randomness
Congrats on the purchase! I guess we can look forward to many more trip reports in the future! Quick question. You trip reports are really well done, and its obvious that you put a lot off effort into them. Is you mom a member of WDWmagic also? Does she check out you trip reports and critique them? You and your Mom look super close. I hope my children and I have the same type of relationship when they are grown.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Congrats on the purchase! I guess we can look forward to many more trip reports in the future! Quick question. You trip reports are really well done, and its obvious that you put a lot off effort into them. Is you mom a member of WDWmagic also? Does she check out you trip reports and critique them? You and your Mom look super close. I hope my children and I have the same type of relationship when they are grown.

Thank you! She is not a member - I don't think she would even know where to start if she was one :joyfull: She is not very tech savvy. I do read them to her just as a way to remember our trips - its something we look forward to after the trip! We are close - just as she is close with my sisters as well - they just don't go to Disney as much (or not with us anyway :hilarious: - my one sister goes often with my nephew but we can never seem to overlap times)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom