The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

flynnibus

Premium Member
I will point out that USF has the same sort of identity crisis though. Attractions are pretty much randomly placed there, often without any particular theme. The park has a far better layout though.

USF doesn't really stick to the DL mold of 'a park divided into lands with unified themes' . The only area i would really call 'convoluted' is the hollywood/kidzone side of the park. The hollywood side really serves little purpose, and the evolution of Expo area to add the Kidzone and now Simpsons makes that area rather contrasting. The production side and NY/SF streets area work as what they were built as IMO.

Of course over time as USF has moved away from the 'movie making story' attractions so the new attractions going in often seem out of place compared to the studio theme of it's surrounding area (Transformers for instance, Dispicable Me, Rockit,etc).

Goofyernmost

MuppetVision was planned from the start to be the seedling for a comedic Muppet studio sub-area which would have included the Great Muppet Movie Ride attraction which was "telling guests how movies are made, but getting everything wrong" and was the byproduct of the initial attempt of Disney to absorb Henson, which fizzled out when Eisner got dollar signs in his eyes when looking at the Sesame characters versus the Henson family's intents to let them stay at CTW as the engine for their nonprofit educational mission.

Tower of Terror is based on this little television show called the Twilight Zone you might have heard of.

Lights Motors Action, lame as it is, is about how they shoot vehicle stunt sequences for movies just as Indiana Jones demonstrates people stunts.

Pixar and Disney were always pretty tightly knit even before the buyout and honestly, I could never see them as truly separate entities. Especially with Pixar actually making the Disney Renaissance possible by creating the CAPS digital systems behind almost every 2D film they did from Beauty and the Beast and onward.

That being said, the park's indeed a total mess as a lay out
Can't really find anything to argue about there. :) Details maybe, but, I'm not in the mood to nitpick today. That makes you and the rest of the readers on this board extremely happy.:angelic:

Mrs.W9000

Some info I thought was interesting about Maleficent in the theatres. My husband and I went to see it a couple of weeks ago in a very large AMC theatre. They were only showing it in 3D during 1 time slot. So we weren't able to see it in 3D. We asked the attendant why they weren't showing it in 3D for more time slots and they said the 3D wasn't selling. Parents didn't want to pay the 3D prices, but all of the regular showings were selling out. So they switched most of the showings to regular which were doing very well.
That makes sense. We wanted to see it a few weeks ago and there was only 2 showtimes in 3D for the whole day. (we were wondering why?) The time slots didnt work for us so we saw Godzilla instead. Still looking forward to Maleficent though!

doctornick

Of course over time as USF has moved away from the 'movie making story' attractions so the new attractions going in often seem out of place compared to the studio theme of it's surrounding area (Transformers for instance, Dispicable Me, Rockit,etc).

Well, that is what I mean. You have an area of the park designed to look like a certain place and then you have an attraction there that doesn't correspond to the place at all. I don't really have a problem with it, but it does kind of go against the point of being a "theme" park.

doctornick

On a brighter note, something in Epcot is finally going to very soon get some much needed and well overdue love.

I'll leave that one with you for a while.

If it's either an Imagination redo or putting something in WoL, I'd be thrilled.

If this is something like merely fixing the descent in SSE, it would be good, but I wouldn't care that much.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Well, that is what I mean. You have an area of the park designed to look like a certain place and then you have an attraction there that doesn't correspond to the place at all. I don't really have a problem with it, but it does kind of go against the point of being a "theme" park.

Both it and DHS suffer the same problem... having to live in the skin of it's former self :) USF (IMO) should redo the Production Central part of the park to be some sort of 'celebrate the movies' setting vs the current soundstage motif. I dunno, I doubt they will ever though because where is the return? USF has never really had that 'make me think I'm somewhere else..' vibe down pact and it doesn't really try. The Streets sets are just that... intended to be movie sets. All too often Disney raised fans complain about the sightlines in NY/SF, etc.. when those things are not applicable to movie sets where you control the field of view.

FigmentJedi

On a brighter note, something in Epcot is finally going to very soon get some much needed and well overdue love.

I'll leave that one with you for a while.
448.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom