The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

doctornick

Its a mess.

With no proper cohesive long term plan - and the issues from 89-90 - the park has become a sprawl of unplanned expansion areas bolted on to other unplanned areas interspersed with areas of nothing.

Yes. What DHS needs right now is a long term master plan for development. What attractions can be added in the short term to help capacity, what major changes are going to happen to solidify an identity for the park and a target layout to improve all the flow in guest areas. Sadly, with the projects that seem to be considered and then put on the backburner, it doesn't seem like TDO/Burbank can even come up with a short term plan, let alone a master plan for the long term. It doesn't give me hope that DHS is going to be "fixed" any time soon -- or than any changes are going to be quality solutions for the long term.

I will point out that USF has the same sort of identity crisis though. Attractions are pretty much randomly placed there, often without any particular theme. The park has a far better layout though.

DAK is also underdeveloped like DHS, but at least it has a logical setup and expansion plans are sensibly addressing issues.

PeterAlt

Yes. What DHS needs right now is a long term master plan for development. What attractions can be added in the short term to help capacity, what major changes are going to happen to solidify an identity for the park and a target layout to improve all the flow in guest areas. Sadly, with the projects that seem to be considered and then put on the backburner, it doesn't seem like TDO/Burbank can even come up with a short term plan, let alone a master plan for the long term. It doesn't give me hope that DHS is going to be "fixed" any time soon -- or than any changes are going to be quality solutions for the long term.

I will point out that USF has the same sort of identity crisis though. Attractions are pretty much randomly placed there, often without any particular theme. The park has a far better layout though.

DAK is also underdeveloped like DHS, but at least it has a logical setup and expansion plans are sensibly addressing issues.
I think EC is in more desperate need for a Masterplan. As I said earlier, it's turning into convention space, as it is now...

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Some info I thought was interesting about Maleficent in the theatres. My husband and I went to see it a couple of weeks ago in a very large AMC theatre. They were only showing it in 3D during 1 time slot. So we weren't able to see it in 3D. We asked the attendant why they weren't showing it in 3D for more time slots and they said the 3D wasn't selling. Parents didn't want to pay the 3D prices, but all of the regular showings were selling out. So they switched most of the showings to regular which were doing very well.
I saw it three times - all in 3D.
Twice, because 3D was the only way my local multi-plex was offering it; and once, while in Buffalo, because the 3D matinee time was more convenient than the regular matinee showtime.

PeterAlt

I saw it three times - all in 3D.
Twice, because 3D was the only way my local multi-plex was offering it; and once, while in Buffalo, because the 3D matinee time was more convenient than the regular matinee showtime.
Did you like it? Was it good? Haven't seen it yet...

Goofyernmost

Its a mess.

With no proper cohesive long term plan - and the issues from 89-90 - the park has become a sprawl of unplanned expansion areas bolted on to other unplanned areas interspersed with areas of nothing.
A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away there opened a theme park dedicated to Hollywood and Movies. It went happily along for a few years and then no longer was dedicated to Hollywood and Movies. It was supposed to let people see what happens during the process and it did that very well, in the beginning.

Somewhere along the way this theme park received a very bad bump on the head and it forgot what it was. Couple with that add in the number of people that were unable to grasp the concept of classic movies, sound affects or that Pixar and Muppets were a part of that whole thing, started to lose interest because there wasn't enough to do. To interject activity they added a scary hotel that only had one connection to Hollywood and that was the name on the hotel and a place called Rockn' Roller coaster that didn't have any connection at all. Then came a car stunt show. Entertaining, yes, but how did that fit in with Hollywood.

Anyway, now it has a big problem. First of all something still remains and that is how no one, even at this point is able to connect the idea that Indiana Jones, the Muppets and Pixar ARE, in actuality part of Disney IP now. On top of that, even though, it always made more sense to call it Disney Hollywood Studio's everyone stubbornly refuses to call it anything other then MGM.

It has no identity. It has no purpose. It is an organized mess. It was designed to be a working studio thus the fact that it doesn't have the desired theme park flow. I don't want to see it torn down and completely redone because there are a lot of things that I like in the park, but, it certainly needs a lot of attention and hopefully it will get that soon.

FigmentJedi

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away there opened a theme park dedicated to Hollywood and Movies. It went happily along for a few years and then no longer was dedicated to Hollywood and Movies. It was supposed to let people see what happens during the process and it did that very well, in the beginning.

Somewhere along the way this theme park received a very bad bump on the head and it forgot what it was. Couple with that add in the number of people that were unable to grasp the concept of classic movies, sound affects or that Pixar and Muppets were a part of that whole thing, started to lose interest because there wasn't enough to do. To interject activity they added a scary hotel that only had one connection to Hollywood and that was the name on the hotel and a place called Rockn' Roller coaster that didn't have any connection at all. Then came a car stunt show. Entertaining, yes, but how did that fit in with Hollywood.

Anyway, now it has a big problem. First of all something still remains and that is how no one, even at this point is able to connect the idea that Indiana Jones, the Muppets and Pixar ARE, in actuality part of Disney IP now. On top of that, even though, it always made more sense to call it Disney Hollywood Studio's everyone stubbornly refuses to call it anything other then MGM.

It has no identity. It has no purpose. It is an organized mess. It was designed to be a working studio thus the fact that it doesn't have the desired theme park flow. I don't want to see it torn down and completely redone because there are a lot of things that I like in the park, but, it certainly needs a lot of attention and hopefully it will get that soon.
MuppetVision was planned from the start to be the seedling for a comedic Muppet studio sub-area which would have included the Great Muppet Movie Ride attraction which was "telling guests how movies are made, but getting everything wrong" and was the byproduct of the initial attempt of Disney to absorb Henson, which fizzled out when Eisner got dollar signs in his eyes when looking at the Sesame characters versus the Henson family's intents to let them stay at CTW as the engine for their nonprofit educational mission.

Tower of Terror is based on this little television show called the Twilight Zone you might have heard of.

Lights Motors Action, lame as it is, is about how they shoot vehicle stunt sequences for movies just as Indiana Jones demonstrates people stunts.

Pixar and Disney were always pretty tightly knit even before the buyout and honestly, I could never see them as truly separate entities. Especially with Pixar actually making the Disney Renaissance possible by creating the CAPS digital systems behind almost every 2D film they did from Beauty and the Beast and onward.

That being said, the park's indeed a total mess as a lay out

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I really don't think Martin is as much as being a negative nelly Uni fan boy as much as speaking the truth about Disney Hollywood studios.

The fact is people do a spin because they don't want to hear the truth.

salmond-sturgeon-pants-on-fire1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom