The Spirited Seventh Heaven ...

Padraig

Some info I thought was interesting about Maleficent in the theatres. My husband and I went to see it a couple of weeks ago in a very large AMC theatre. They were only showing it in 3D during 1 time slot. So we weren't able to see it in 3D. We asked the attendant why they weren't showing it in 3D for more time slots and they said the 3D wasn't selling. Parents didn't want to pay the 3D prices, but all of the regular showings were selling out. So they switched most of the showings to regular which were doing very well.

This makes me very happy. 3D has blighted my cinema going since Avatar, but it decline does seem terminal at this stage. For ages it was nigh on impossible to get a decent 2D showing of some movies. Avatar and more recently Gravity are my only real positive experiences of the format. That's two whole movies!

Not wanting to go off on a tangent, but I still am incredibly curious as to how Avatar's sequels will perform. The big selling point of the first was the re-emergence of 3D, to which audiences have since become poisoned through horrible post-conversions (Gravity being an example of how to do it correctly). It certainly wasn't the characters or story that sold tickets. Then again, I'd never bet against Cameron.

Cosmic Commando

BTW, I'm extremely disappointed in you guys... all of that playing around with Google Trends and nobody thought to compare "walt disney world" with "universal orlando"? The results will make you go :eek:.* I'm on my phone, otherwise I would have the graph up myself. Apologies.

*I'm not 100% sold on Google Trends being used to determine overall popularity the way that people are using it on this thread, but still... dat graph!

Tigger1988

This one?
i5vdy0.png

Disneyhead'71

Quick Spirited Hits:

I can't possibly catch up with this thread, nor will I attempt to. I admit I skimmed some pages, though, and when I saw a Le Cellier meal for $863 all I could think is ''We have the Baker Act in Florida for a reason.'' Sorry, but I can't fathom anyone dropping that at a steakhouse in a theme park and having all their marbles.

Funny thing happened this week, I met with a UNI Creative at WDW. No, that wasn't funny, although laughs were definitely had. No, he stated that he thought UNI fanbois were now worse than Disney ones. My take on it is that they are all generally insufferable but most of all when either they have something to crow about (as UNI does now) or nothing to crow about and know it (as is the case with Disney now).

You think only WDI has creatives who are a bit self-involved? Thiery Coup is in the midst of an extended vacation to France now. Yes, right when UNI is debutting Diagon Alley and Gringotts (which isn't ready to operate fully, despite being open) . Amazing.

I'll discuss this more another time, but the only WDW park that seemed remotely crowded over the holiday week was the MK. Nothing else even approached typical crowds of March and/or October.

If you Tweet to the world, then you are open to being criticized for it. A very simple point for simple minds who don't understand the tools they use to play online.

The Hollywood Studios are all worried about summer box office numbers being 'disappointing' but that is what happens when you overestimate the market with films that are all the same, and when you start the summer movie season when folks are still eating Easter candy.

BTW, Maleficent is going to wind up as a pretty large hit for Disney.

One area where Disney rules and UNI can't even make an effort to compete: nighttime pyro spectacularly.

Do you know the first part of Disney Springs opened recently, right @Disneyhead'71 ?

Really, more mindless Disney/UNI crap over an ironclad contract for Marvel? What is with some people?

That's it ... Will try and drop in over the weekend.
Ladies and Gentlemen welcome to

30uv7s5.jpg

With Spirited fingers using the proper Disney point.

bhg469

I've said it before, but I'm really surprised that Uni doesn't have a high quality nighttime show in IOA over the water there. It would be a natural fit and really round out that park.
I have only been there once but the only time I noticed there was a large body of water whats while I was eating lunch at Mythos. It didnt seem like there were many viewing areas to me. Again I was only there once in my life this year so I could definitely be mistaken.

Soarin' Over Pgh

What did you think of it? I saw it in 3D and while I thought it was visually appealing, the movie itself was lacking.

Visually I enjoyed the movie, but did not like the three fairies at all, I don't appreciate how they were dumbed down. Their animation was a bit lacking as well.

Story wise, it was fairly decent but seemed like a very short storyline. At the end my friend said "wait that's it?" And made for an awkward moment.

The scenery and
maleficent flying and soaring through the air and between the rock work was quite reminiscent of avatars big soaring scenes with the dragon thingies, don't you think? I loved the use of color and the depth that the backgrounds and scenery had, the woodland magical creatures as well but the story itself was kinda, ehhh. Also didn't care for the king being a rapist jerk. That is what the wing thing was implying, right?

Spoiler tag so I don't get called a finger sniffing chimp.

mgpan

Just a few interesting excerpts from the latest D23 newsleter about the Rat ride in France. It appears as though a great dark ride to me, can't wait to ride someday! I love the trackless tech, but they mention it as being new and the Pooh ride utilizing trackless technology has been around for quite some time? Perhaps since it's placed in a 4D environment they consider it new? The excerpts for your enjoyment and comment are paraphrased below. Very interesting stuff to me. I will not include my thoughts on the excerpts below, positive or negative, take them as you will.

D23 asks Tom Fitzgerald about how Ratatouille (the ride) came about and he responds that as always with their projects it would be many years before the project was realized and completed.

Roger Gould says having Tom Fitzgerald as the creative visionary and rallying hundreds of people to the task is the real joy. And, they do things like this not only for "opening weekend" but to build something that can last for generations.

D23 asks Roger of anything he'd like to add and he says Remy talks to the guests and it's like he is saying come see me in my restaurant and eat there.

Just as interesting, several times in the article this area of the park is called a "mini-land". From my understanding this mini-land has one ride, one restaurant, one shop and a meet and greet.

LondonGopher

Just a few interesting excerpts from the latest D23 newsleter about the Rat ride in France. It appears as though a great dark ride to me, can't wait to ride someday! I love the trackless tech, but they mention it as being new and the Pooh ride utilizing trackless technology has been around for quite some time? Perhaps since it's placed in a 4D environment they consider it new? The excerpts for your enjoyment and comment are paraphrased below. Very interesting stuff to me. I will not include my thoughts on the excerpts below, positive or negative, take them as you will.

Just as interesting, several times in the article this area of the park is called a "mini-land". From my understanding this mini-land has one ride, one restaurant, one shop and a meet and greet.

Interesting stuff...makes me very apprehensive about Star Wars at DHS, though, if one ride plus its "side dishes" constitutes a mini-land. :cautious:

seascape

Interesting stuff...makes me very apprehensive about Star Wars at DHS, though, if one ride plus its "side dishes" constitutes a mini-land. :cautious:
Isn't one ride plus sides what DA is. I have to say HE is not part of DA because you need a park to park ticket to see it.

BTW I still want to see DA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom