The Spirited 8th Wonder (WDW's Future & You!)

WDW1974

Original Poster
Just to my 'friends' at Disney, especially in DVC sales, aren't you thrilled that I put this out there before you even started selling Poly? Don't worry. DVC is a never-ending cash cow, right? How many folks/sales will you lose with people 'waiting' to buy the new points at the WL?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
There is certainly a past history of doing this. A large section of the original Animal Kingdom Lodge was converted to DVC inventory prior to the villas being built. I could certainly see this happening at any of the other deluxe resorts.

Factor in the upcoming WL pool upgrades, and it seems very possible.

Based on previous DVC integrations, I doubt we will get any official announcement till near completion.

Nemo14

Just to my 'friends' at Disney, especially in DVC sales, aren't you thrilled that I put this out there before you even started selling Poly? Don't worry. DVC is a never-ending cash cow, right? How many folks/sales will you lose with people 'waiting' to buy the new points at the WL?
:hilarious:

WDW1974

Original Poster
As to my statement that no 'new' villas will be added at WL, that is not 100% true.

Why not? Look at the Poly for inspiration. What are they doing there beyond converting $600 a night deluxe rooms into villas? Yes, they are pretending they're one of those amazing South Pacific resorts like the one our dear @alissafalco honeymooned at.

So, if it works at the Poly, why not at the WL? Yes. the DVC plans include (I am not 100% sure of the number) but about 10 bungalow accommodations sticking out on docks into Bay Lake. What will they look like? I'm not sure I even want to start on that one. The 'current' plan is to model them like teepees. Yes, you read that correctly.

Last edited:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
As to my statement that no 'new' villas will be added at WL, that is not 100% true.

Why not? Look at the Poly for inspiration. What are they doing there beyond converting $600 a night deluxe rooms into villas? Yes, they are pretending they're one of those amazing South Pacific resorts like the one our dear @alissafalco honeymooed at.

So, if it works at the Poly, why not at the WL? Yes. the DVC plans include (I am not 100% sure of the number) but about 10 bungalow accommodations sticking out on docks into Bay Lake. What will they look like? I'm not sure I even want to start on that one. The 'current' plan is to model them like teepees. Yes, you read that correctly.
Oy....

Nemo14

Why not? Look at the Poly for inspiration. What are they doing there beyond converting $600 a night deluxe rooms into villas? Yes, they are pretending they're one of those amazing South Pacific resorts like the one our dear @alissafalco honeymooed at.

because Native Americans often pitched their teepees out on a lake? :confused:

Magic Feather

Yes, Disney is going back to the WL.

No, they won't be building any (OK, not entirely true) new villas. What they will be doing is converting a large number of rooms in the main building from hotel to DVC. In addition, much infrastructure work is planned from a total redo of Artist Point, to expanding the pool deck to adding a new concierge lounge (actually multiples, one exclusive for DVC).

As both myself and @ParentsOf4 have articulated, WDW's current business model is fundamentally flawed and broken. And those geniuses who run Disney have come to the same conclusion. They just don't get why. They think DVC is the Golden Goose and they only care about short-term gains. It's not that the WL couldn't fill 98% of its rooms most of the year IF they lowered prices. It's that WDW's model doesn't allow for $150 a night rooms beyond CM discounts.

Take a look at this summer. Do you have any clue how pathetic WDW load levels are? The entire main building at the Grand Flo is empty as rooms are being redone to look like Vegas rooms from 2010. The Poly has multiple buildings that are empty. The BW has many rooms out of service for hard good rehabs. And guess what?

They still are lucky to have resorts that are 65-75% full (not total occupancy, available occupancy which is a huge difference).

Wow! I knew numbers were down, but I thought not by that much...
And tepees...:facepalm::banghead:

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Well that part was unexpected. Any timeframe on this?

Next you are going to be telling us that the wrecking ball will be heading to Contemporary south in the near future.

DonaldDoleWhip

Yes, Disney is going back to the WL.

No, they won't be building any (OK, not entirely true) new villas. What they will be doing is converting a large number of rooms in the main building from hotel to DVC. In addition, much infrastructure work is planned from a total redo of Artist Point, to expanding the pool deck to adding a new concierge lounge (actually multiples, one exclusive for DVC).
Artist Point is my favorite restaurant in WDW, so I shouldn't be surprised that they're planning on changing it. :rolleyes:

And I've always wondered why they didn't continue with concierge DVC rooms after AKV, but this wasn't what I had in mind...

WDW1974

Original Poster
There is certainly a past history of doing this. A large section of the original Animal Kingdom Lodge was converted to DVC inventory prior to the villas being built. I could certainly see this happening at any of the other deluxe resorts.

Factor in the upcoming WL pool upgrades, and it seems very possible.

Based on previous DVC integrations, I doubt we will get any official announcement till near completion.

No. Disney isn't going to announce this for quite some time. I could have waited another six months and still been ahead of the curve.

I have to admit being conflicted by the whole thing. I don't own DVC. I don't like timeshare. But I do have family that owns it. And my SO 'Angie M' owns it and we've had some truly MAGICal vacations with it both at WDW and DLR.

But it does Walmart a resort. Top resorts are not timeshare (and, yes, I realize that even Four Seasons has some fractional ownership properties). Being able to buy bologna and Tombstone frozen pizza and frozen burritos at my deluxe resort gift shop says something other than 'classy'.

And the Lodges have been among my favorite hotels in the USA, not simply WDW. DVC absolutely dumbs a resort down. I know that sounds elitist and maybe it is, but it is also true.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm not surprised by this at all. I do think WDW is too spread out and not getting the kind of occupancy, plus maintenance, mousekeeping, transportation, it all adds up.

Less rooms that (I'm guessing) will be more amenities and higher cost may be a solution for now, in their minds.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom