The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think its more now how the iasw and Pan facades stick out like a sore thumb in comparison.
This is definitely true. On my last trip the first thing I thought when I saw tangled toilets for the first time was wow, IASW looks terrible. Pan too. I guess it's just wishful thinking that they would change at this point. Pan was down for quite a while but no change to the facade.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Thought you might appreciate this, Spirit. Clearly you are wrong about Disney not investing in its parks overseas. ;)

They just hold the money offshore and use it for other things.. like acquisitions, etc. It's a very high profile topic for companies like Google, Cisco, etc. They all do it knowing they can make their money work better for them by earning it overseas, and keeping it out of the US.

Don't really say much of anything about P&R - the topic is TWDC.

culturenthrills

When I was in Germany, the simple counter service schnitzel food outlet served all their food on real plates with real silverware. We can't do that in the United States of Honey Boo Boo because too many people would outfit their homes with stolen dishware. Like many have said, "This is why we cannot have nice things."

The location was the food court at the Sudring Centre in Paderborn, NRW.

Unless something has changed they use real plates and silverware at DL at the counter service restaurants. That is one thing I really like about it. No fun trying to cut your pork chop with a plastic knife and fork at Seasons in the Land.

Last edited:

culturenthrills

I expected they'd leave the Skyway station intact until a full overhaul of the north of Frontierland. Using it as the entrance of a new land cionsiting of the ranch and the area beyond.

I miss the Skyway at the MK's FL too. For aesthetic reasons. It was one half of a Bavarian hillside town, providing the hillside bit. Our FL now looks like Rapunzel cartoon village mixed with a World Showcase South Germanythtotat consisst of a bathroom.

We always knew the days of the Skyway stations at both coasts were numbered once the Skyway was removed. What matters is what replaces it. DL's remoaval will likely not be as intrusive or theme-wrecking.

That tower is an abomination. I can't believe they put it where they did. It totally ruins the themeing of the HM, Liberty Square and Frontierland. Whoever approved that is an idiot. It might not have stood out as much if they had put it on the other side of the restrooms next to Small World. At least some buildings would have been blocked. The only part of Fantasyland you should be able to see from other areas of the park is the castle. Just awful.

Funmeister

Unless something has changed they use real plates and silverware at DL at the counter service restaurants. That is one thing I really like about it. No fun trying to cook your pork chop with a plastic knife and fork at Seasons in the Land.

You know this post really got me thinking. Some of this Disney cost-cutting is because of guests. It is a shame we live during a time where people walk in to a counter service restaurant and make themselves a salad off of the topping bar.

Recently I see how the fanbois and mommy blogger communities are sharing a post on how you can obtain free autographs from Disney characters sent to your home. They are abusing this perk. These were the little extras that made Disney special. Now you have honey boo boo-esque people feeling they are entitled to these autographs.

The truth is they are intended for special occasions and/or purposes from Guest Relations. The child that had to leave the park early because they were still ill from medical treatments and missed seeing their favorite character. It was for those special circumstances of guest service recovery and/or helping kids and families that physically (for certain reasons) could not do everything the way you and I can.

Expect this perk to go away soon...not because the company is cheap. Because people abuse the perks because they feel they are entitled. Sad....

Soarin' Over Pgh

That tower is an abomination. I can't believe they put it where they did. It totally ruins the themeing of the HM, Liberty Square and Frontierland. Whoever approved that is an idiot. It might not have stood out as much if they had put it on the other side of the restrooms next to Small World. At least some buildings would have been blocked. The only part of Fantasyland you should be able to see from other areas of the park is the castle. Just awful.

Spirit posted months and months ago that he thought it might be a RFID tower of some sort and I tend to agree... Maybe a high reaching wifi signal broadcaster and wow I just realized how incredibly bad I am with media terminology.... But anyhow, dressed up all pretty like so we're all "ooooooh, towerrrr" instead of "ewww, ugly metal thing smacked in the middle of the park"

Ok it's obviously past my bedtime.

Animaniac93-98

You know this post really got me thinking. Some of this Disney cost-cutting is because of guests. It is a shame we live during a time where people walk in to a counter service restaurant and make themselves a salad off of the topping bar.

Recently I see how the fanbois and mommy blogger communities are sharing a post on how you can obtain free autographs from Disney characters sent to your home. They are abusing this perk. These were the little extras that made Disney special. Now you have honey boo boo-esque people feeling they are entitled to these autographs.

The truth is they are intended for special occasions and/or purposes from Guest Relations. The child that had to leave the park early because they were still ill from medical treatments and missed seeing their favorite character. It was for those special circumstances of guest service recovery and/or helping kids and families that physically (for certain reasons) could not do everything the way you and I can.

Expect this perk to go away soon...not because the company is cheap. Because people abuse the perks because they feel they are entitled. Sad....

Sounds similar to when characters went on select rides with guests, then everyone complained that THEIR child did not get to do the same, and now nobody does (or at least not as much).

WDW1974

Original Poster
Spirited Monday/Tuesday Musings:

Well, I don't really have much time left here (and I can sorta tell the kids are out of school for their holiday breaks early!), so I am going to just focus on what interests me. Hopefully, it will you too.

Let's start with the news, for all the thickheads who don't seem to find my posts newsworthy.

MM+ being an operational disaster, having serious privacy concern issues, being way behind schedule and way over budget may not be news here. But a little news birdie reports that you may be reading (or viewing) all about these issues in MULTIPLE mainstream media outlets soon. Yes, just like the Disney being hypocrites in the gambling debate story that was not a story at all ... and wound up in the NYT and went around the world in other outlets, Disney is likely not going to be happy with stories that are being worked up by a few highly respected news organizations. I don't know when they'll do their reporting (and with Disney, no, I can't even guarantee that it will happen), but my guess is it will happen when Disney least expects it! :D ... But again, no story there. Nothing to see. No issues that go beyond crazy fans online!

Speaking of MM+, Disney is actively trying to find ways to deliver that elusive 11% revenue bump that was guaranteed to the BoD via NGE. They actually want even higher results to justify the overruns over a program that any typical fanboi not addicted to a BRAND could see would be a disaster. So ... where's the money going to come from?

Hmm ... remember all that talk about 'paying for FP' and 'different tiers' etc? Well, don't be surprised if by Spring Break (or sooner) folks are given the OPPORTUNITY to pay more to get things that we all got for free before. Seriously, there's YOUR NEWS IF YOU ARE SLOW. TDO is actively looking at ways to ''exploit'' (notice the two quote marks to signify a REAL quote from a real Disney memo) MM+ through all sorts of new and exciting ways to convince you to never want to come back to WDW unless you are an addict.

That was your news. Now, just musings and thoughts.

Any of you (other than the hillbilly) still watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D ... oops, I mean MARVEL'S Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D? Trophy Wife is 876 times more entertaining.

While I'm gone will someone see if @WDWFigment ever answers my question about whether he'd give up two years at WDW for a visit to TDR? Better yet, and only picking on him because I believe him to be one of the only Lifestylers who is honest and knowing that his pals at Celebration Place read here religiously, would he ever tell his growing flock of readers that they should stay away from WDW in lieu of saving up for a trip to Anaheim or Hong Kong or Tokyo or some of those amazing national parks?

Anyone been to DLR recently that can comment on reports I am hearing about drops in show quality under Michael 'Plush' Colglazier?

Anyone here seen the new Dreams of Christmas show at DLP (live not in a YouTube clip)?

OK, so I haven't experienced non-Florida, non-SoCal, non-Hawaii, non-Asia winter in a VERY long time, but I am about to. Any advice?

So, I ordered a DCL planning DVD 14 months ago to get ready for my Wonder cruise last spring ... one arrived ... today.

So, I see all the typical WDW Lifestylers jumping on Sea World over its unfortunate PR disaster. Oh, I have nothing else to add to that.

What do you say when a friend of the family tells you they just booked Pop Century for Christmas and are paying more than you've paid to stay at world class resorts for?

I don't know why I am not more excited by UNI's presser this week. I think it's likely because they are doing so many wonderful things that I know about that I can't imagine being surprised by anything, even if I would like to be.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Well said.

What really bugs me is that WDW once enjoyed the blessing of size, and that through mismanagement they turned this asset into a detriment.

Once you would approach DL from an ugly parking lot, hemmed in by cheap motel towers and urban sprawl. At WDW, you approached the MK in a pleasant fantasy setting. Nowadays, you approach the MK from an ugly bus parking lot, hemmed in by cheap DVC towers and urban sprawl, and DL's through a pleasant fantasy setting.

Transport has never been developed properly after 1983. The idea of WDW was to develop the area with urban public transport. Which requires hubs. The idea was to counter the suburban sprawl which had taken over the US. Instead, Eisner developed WDW as just another parcel of FLorida, carving out suburban spaces as they went along, with utter disregard for what the FLorida Project sought to achieve. Which was brushed aside as the utopian pipedreams of old men from a previous generation. The result is the current transport disaster. Which like everywhere else in subirban America, knows only busses as public transport. That cheapest and most unmagical mode of transport. Transportation in WDW has turned from a smart, magical first ride of the day into a cumbersome, time-consuming temporary suspension of magic.

Even UNI, if it connects its existing resort with a few plots a bit further south will be a more managable resort. Shorter distances, through surroundings that are indistinguishable from the ugliness and suburban sprawl of WDW anyway.

Never again in the developed world will such a large plot of land be acquired by a themed resort, and never again will such a unique prospect be so shamefully squandered.

Largely true, except for the part about Eisner and transport. He absolutely took into consideration transportation when he first took over. That's why the EPCOT resort area was developed using boats and walkways. It's also why he approved plans for a monorail extension from EPCOT to Disney-MGM with a centrally located stop at the YC for the EPCOT resorts.

It's why in 1999, after the resort had grown too fast and had too many buses, he had a massive trasnport study done on ways to get cars and buses off the road. (and, yes, that did also include 'rail expansion)

WDW is a transport nightmare today and resembles the urban sprawl that was one of the things Walt was looking to get away from in FL. But one man is not in any way, shape or form to be blamed. And if one man was, it wouldn't be Michael anyway.

WDW1974

Original Poster
I'm sold.
One thing you forgot to mention - Walt walked here. Walt dined here. Walt played here. Walt. Was. Here.

Born in 1967, I never actually shared this planet with Uncle Walt, yet thanks to Sunday nights on ABC, he was as near and dear to me as my real Uncle Walt.

I'd say DL is on my bucket list, but I have no intention of waiting that long. 2014 or bust!

Just go. DLR shouldn't be on the bucket list for anyone who goes to WDW on a regular basis.

I've heard folks talk about it here that way and they have had like 31 WDW vacations, all on property at ridiculous cost, and ... they just are addicted to WDW.

Go to DL. And leave your opinions on what size a fake fairy tale castle should be at home!

WDW1974

Original Poster
So, I'm going to do something rare. I'm opening myself up for ridicule. Here is a very gentle post, from a young (a mere 37), naive George back in 2006. Note the topic I'm starting and the replies.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/quality-at-wdw-is-it-slipping.70736/

Also, I'm a lifelong FSU fan and alumnus, I just wish I knew if Winston was guilty or not. I'll never know, so I now feel this weird nagging discomfort as opposed to the fettered joy (not unfettered, I'm too old and teams have let me down too many times) of watching the best Seminole team of my lifetime. After the first game (Pitt), my wife asked me how they looked. I said, "Solid, well-coached, athletic, no obvious holes and the the freshman they have at QB may literally be better than Ward, Weinke, Weldon, or B. Johnson".

Saw that thread. Skimmed it in five minutes. Saw that someone saw fit to bring it back from the dead.

I found the 'tude here when I joined in 2008 almost stifling with people addicted to Pixie Dust and holding a strange 'love' for a BRAND. Naturally, I was my typical realist self and that went over like a lead balloon. If not for a few posters encouraging me, I wouldn't be here.

Thing is, though, it isn't news now and it wasn't news in 2006 when you started that thread. WDW has been trending downward since DAK opened, some would say even earlier.

They haven't wowed me since I actually had faith in our government. Yeah, it's been a very long time.

As to FSU, I am torn because while I have friends who went there (one who worked there at a very high level), I am so impressed by Auburn's MAGICal wins of late that part of me wants to see them win, even though I generally dislike the SEC.

Funmeister

Spirited Monday/Tuesday Musings:

Well, I don't really have much time left here (and I can sorta tell the kids are out of school for their holiday breaks early!), so I am going to just focus on what interests me. Hopefully, it will you too.

Let's start with the news, for all the thickheads who don't seem to find my posts newsworthy.

MM+ being an operational disaster, having serious privacy concern issues, being way behind schedule and way over budget may not be news here. But a little news birdie reports that you may be reading (or viewing) all about these issues in MULTIPLE mainstream media outlets soon. Yes, just like the Disney being hypocrites in the gambling debate story that was not a story at all ... and wound up in the NYT and went around the world in other outlets, Disney is likely not going to be happy with stories that are being worked up by a few highly respected news organizations. I don't know when they'll do their reporting (and with Disney, no, I can't even guarantee that it will happen), but my guess is it will happen when Disney least expects it! :D ... But again, no story there. Nothing to see. No issues that go beyond crazy fans online!

Speaking of MM+, Disney is actively trying to find ways to deliver that elusive 11% revenue bump that was guaranteed to the BoD via NGE. They actually want even higher results to justify the overruns over a program that any typical fanboi not addicted to a BRAND could see would be a disaster. So ... where's the money going to come from?

Hmm ... remember all that talk about 'paying for FP' and 'different tiers' etc? Well, don't be surprised if by Spring Break (or sooner) folks are given the OPPORTUNITY to pay more to get things that we all got for free before. Seriously, there's YOUR NEWS IF YOU ARE SLOW. TDO is actively looking at ways to ''exploit'' (notice the two quote marks to signify a REAL quote from a real Disney memo) MM+ through all sorts of new and exciting ways to convince you to never want to come back to WDW unless you are an addict.

That was your news. Now, just musings and thoughts.

Any of you (other than the hillbilly) still watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D ... oops, I mean MARVEL'S Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D? Trophy Wife is 876 times more entertaining.

While I'm gone will someone see if @WDWFigment ever answers my question about whether he'd give up two years at WDW for a visit to TDR? Better yet, and only picking on him because I believe him to be one of the only Lifestylers who is honest and knowing that his pals at Celebration Place read here religiously, would he ever tell his growing flock of readers that they should stay away from WDW in lieu of saving up for a trip to Anaheim or Hong Kong or Tokyo or some of those amazing national parks?

Anyone been to DLR recently that can comment on reports I am hearing about drops in show quality under Michael 'Plush' Colglazier?

Anyone here seen the new Dreams of Christmas show at DLP (live not in a YouTube clip)?

OK, so I haven't experienced non-Florida, non-SoCal, non-Hawaii, non-Asia winter in a VERY long time, but I am about to. Any advice?

So, I ordered a DCL planning DVD 14 months ago to get ready for my Wonder cruise last spring ... one arrived ... today.

So, I see all the typical WDW Lifestylers jumping on Sea World over its unfortunate PR disaster. Oh, I have nothing else to add to that.

What do you say when a friend of the family tells you they just booked Pop Century for Christmas and are paying more than you've paid to stay at world class resorts for?

I don't know why I am not more excited by UNI's presser this week. I think it's likely because they are doing so many wonderful things that I know about that I can't imagine being surprised by anything, even if I would like to be.

VERY IMPORTANT: Vegas has dry heat, Paris has wet cold!

WDW1974

Original Poster
Have a great trip to Europe! I think you are a bit crazy to give up the warm sunshine of Florida for a harsh winter in Europe, but I guess you have your reasons. Hope you will have a magical time at DLP, I have heard great things about their new Christmas tree - and it seems that they show their Christmas parade free for everyone three times a day. You must like the lack of up charge parties at that resort. I'd love to spent some pre-Christmas time there to get in the mood for the holidays!

Yes, I do have my reasons. I want to see snow. I want to make Rice Krispie treats with a good friend's sister. I want to see DLP at Christmas. And visit a Disney resort where I don't have to book anything before I go ... Oh, and I want out of this country and this insane state where no one can drive, but they all try it every day.

Mostly, though, I need some time away from my fanbois!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom