The Spirit Takes the Fifth ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
I don't see it that way. Virtually everything you can see in NFL, you can go closer, or inside, and look around. The interiors of the shops, dining facilities and queues all advance the storybook themes. And, for the most part, there are rewards in the details (e.g., even the new DVC kiosk, once past the salespeople, is designed to be a prow-sculpters workshop):http://www. easy wdw.com/reports10/rthgx63.jpg
I love the look of NFL. We were lucky enough to enter 3 times during soft opening last November, and then wandered at will this year.
I think it's breathtaking to look at. I just wish there was more substance ... more to do. I am a shallow, shallow person who WANTS RIDES!

P.S. - I have no strong objections to the Tangled tower. I love the atmosphere of the area. I love the water features. I love the bird sounds.
I am no more put off by the sight of the tower from LS than I am by seeing the Castle from most of the park, or Bay Lake Tower from TL.

RandySavage

I love the look of NFL. We were lucky enough to enter 3 times during soft opening last November, and then wandered at will this year.
I think it's breathtaking to look at. I just wish there was more substance ... more to do. I am a shallow, shallow person who WANTS RIDES!

P.S. - I have no strong objections to the Tangled tower. I love the atmosphere of the area. I love the water features. I love the bird sounds.
I am no more put off by the sight of the tower from LS than I am by seeing the Castle from most of the park, or Bay Lake Tower from TL.

I don't disagree regarding the importance of rides (substance). But I'm a champion of the importance of wider environments (style, or another form of substance). 50-50 partners in great theme parks. At the least the FLE nailed one half. For its (reported) budget ($115mil?), Mermaid should/could have been the next HunnyHunt. Baxter's swooping, suspended, Parisian version with zero AAs (only animated figures) might have been half the budget but much more popular cross-generationally (like Pan) - we'll never know.

Regarding the Tower from Liberty Square, strongly agree, but am hopeful the small trees planted around it will grow and eventually ease this issue.

Last edited:

PeterAlt

The thought is that, much like had happened at the studio, that Walt would essentially let the Imagineers deal with the new theme park while he focused on EPCOT. He expected them to do something different, but the how and what was of little concern to him, and thus his willingness to just drop Disneyland into plans. Just because he expected a different park does not mean he intended to be heavily involved the way he was with Disneyland.
Yes, I understood that. I never said or implied he was heavily involved in the planning of the MK. In fact, I had said when we last had this discussion that he delegated power to his Imagineers to work on the MK, while he focused in EPCOT. The debate back then was whether or not the MK was originally planned to be a clone of DL. Whether he was involved in the planning of the MK was irrelevant, but my position was never that he was directly involved. As you said, he entrusted them to design something different, but not that much different. Those instructions alone gave them the freedom to design the bigger castle, Big Thunder Mesa, and so on.

Funmeister

I wonder if construction of the Matterhorn (if completed) would have changed the idea of putting Tangled in the spot it is currently located?

PeterAlt

I don't know if anyone posted the leaked Avatar plans, but here they are. The first three I know are definitely authentic. I'm not too sure about that last one, though...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
The last one looks like the work of the guy that likes to re-conceptualize the current Disney parks with his own ideas. Some of his plans are very well thought-out and interesting.

CDavid

The last one looks like the work of the guy that likes to re-conceptualize the current Disney parks with his own ideas. Some of his plans are very well thought-out and interesting.

I'd call this one more entertaining than well thought out, though probably not entertaining in the way the creator intended.

RSoxNo1

I think its more now how the iasw and Pan facades stick out like a sore thumb in comparison.
I assume nothing is being done to the it's a small world facade during the current refurbishment? Is this refurb related to the Next Gen additions to "it's a small world"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom