The Sorcerer's Apprentice, Season 7: Fantasmic Journeys [CONCLUDED!]

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
For the team theme coming up for the playoffs - you should thank @Pi on my Cake ! This theme was what we left off with at the end of Season 6, and was something he was playing with for a future season, and it will now come to fruition!
I was happy to help! But this season really was your vision and it couldn't have happened without you!

Outbound

Original Poster
1617482182428.png

uhhhh this is weird

91JLovesDisney

James G.

Yukon Valley
Guest Review​

When I review, or critique, or whatever you want to call it when I come in here and comment on your presentations, I usually look for two things- a professional presentation, and originality. In both areas, I saw strengths and weaknesses in your presentation this week. I won’t go through every one, but hopefully give you a sample of what I noticed.

Professional Presentation- Strengths: You did your homework and research, and included names, spiritual legends, etc. not normally well-known outside of the area. The variety of attractions, shops and food venues offered plenty of things for everyone to find something to do and enjoy. I admit that when I saw that you were going to include an oil rig in your presentation I was absolutely appalled, but you managed to create a reasonable if a bit contrived storyline to justify it. I do wish you’d have included a picture of the derelict rig that you used on the cover page for attractions in the description of the Judder Refinery: Spirit Fury, to establish that it was an old wooden rig, not a modern oil-belching ecological disaster of a rig. I also wish you would have explained what a “judder” is. I know you know what it is because someone talked about it in your discussion. Tell everyone else!

Weaknesses: Every attraction was derivative of something else in a Disney park somewhere, and you actually mentioned that in just about every description. “Taking inspiration from Splash Mountain, Grizzly River Run, and Matterhorn Mountain…”, “Using a ride system similar to Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios…”, “Using similar technology to Disneyland’s Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters…”, “…body of water known as The Rivers of the North.” (substitute “America” for “the North.) Don’t tell us what it’s like, tell us why it’s different from anything we’ve ever ridden before! I know that there’s nothing new under the sun, but make your presentation convince us that your presentation really is a brand-new concept, or at least make us forget about what it’s inspired by.

If I’m wrong, let me know (I am working on precious little sleep because of work) but I don’t think you ever established where this land is located. Is it Alaska? The Yukon? Both were mentioned, and I realize they’re side-by-side, but so are England and Scotland and don’t tell a Scot that he’s English or you’ll find out how sharp that sgian-dubh he wears in his kilt hose really is!

My biggest complaint is that you needed some serious proof-reading. I saw plenty of places where sentences didn’t really make sense. Don’t rely on spell-check. Take the time to find someone as -retentive as I am and have them read the proposal out-loud, and have them look for sentences that simply are not grammatically correct, or at least are not written as clearly as they could or should be.

Here’s the -retentive part of me I mentioned. “Timber Cabinn.” I assume you intended on it to be spelled that way because you were consistent in that spelling, but you should have established that spelling somehow, perhaps by spelling it “CabInn” or simply saying something like “yes, with two “n”s. It’s the little things that can make readers stop paying attention to all the good stuff and get bogged down with the minutia that makes them stop focusing on all the good stuff you created.

Paul Bunyon Lumberjack Show- Frankly, I like lumberjack shows. I’m including one in Americana 1900, but there is no way that you could do such a show with just two people. Paul and Jill can be the featured lumberjacks, but you’d have to have more than just those two. Don’t assume that I know that you intend on having a larger cast. BTW, I loved Babe!

The visual presentation was outstanding, well-crafted and designed, and the images you chose did a fine job of establishing the look you intended for your land.

Now it looks like I didn’t enjoy this presentation, and that would not be true. I really did enjoy it- My mother’s grandparents were pioneer loggers in the Pacific Northwest, and I would really love to spend most if not the entire day exploring Yukon Valley and all of the amazing activities it holds. I would enjoy it even more if you had ramped up your originality and cleaned up the writing presentation technically.

When I first jumped into this adventure as a guest reviewer, I found in Team Space a team that was a bit disorganized and not working as a team. I wanted to encourage you, inspire you and stroke your egos a bit to get you working together better, and you’ve made major advances in that area. It’s time to get your game-face on, your originality dial set to “11”, and your professional presentation standards up to that of deserving a capital “I” in imagineer. Right now, you’re imagineers. You have the capability and talents to be considered Imagineers!

It’s time for Team Space to inspire ME!​

James G.

Yukon Valley
Guest Review​

When I review, or critique, or whatever you want to call it when I come in here and comment on your presentations, I usually look for two things- a professional presentation, and originality. In both areas, I saw strengths and weaknesses in your presentation this week. I won’t go through every one, but hopefully give you a sample of what I noticed.

Professional Presentation- Strengths: You did your homework and research, and included names, spiritual legends, etc. not normally well-known outside of the area. The variety of attractions, shops and food venues offered plenty of things for everyone to find something to do and enjoy. I admit that when I saw that you were going to include an oil rig in your presentation I was absolutely appalled, but you managed to create a reasonable if a bit contrived storyline to justify it. I do wish you’d have included a picture of the derelict rig that you used on the cover page for attractions in the description of the Judder Refinery: Spirit Fury, to establish that it was an old wooden rig, not a modern oil-belching ecological disaster of a rig. I also wish you would have explained what a “judder” is. I know you know what it is because someone talked about it in your discussion. Tell everyone else!

Weaknesses: Every attraction was derivative of something else in a Disney park somewhere, and you actually mentioned that in just about every description. “Taking inspiration from Splash Mountain, Grizzly River Run, and Matterhorn Mountain…”, “Using a ride system similar to Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios…”, “Using similar technology to Disneyland’s Luigi’s Rollickin’ Roadsters…”, “…body of water known as The Rivers of the North.” (substitute “America” for “the North.) Don’t tell us what it’s like, tell us why it’s different from anything we’ve ever ridden before! I know that there’s nothing new under the sun, but make your presentation convince us that your presentation really is a brand-new concept, or at least make us forget about what it’s inspired by.

If I’m wrong, let me know (I am working on precious little sleep because of work) but I don’t think you ever established where this land is located. Is it Alaska? The Yukon? Both were mentioned, and I realize they’re side-by-side, but so are England and Scotland and don’t tell a Scot that he’s English or you’ll find out how sharp that sgian-dubh he wears in his kilt hose really is!

My biggest complaint is that you needed some serious proof-reading. I saw plenty of places where sentences didn’t really make sense. Don’t rely on spell-check. Take the time to find someone as ****-retentive as I am and have them read the proposal out-loud, and have them look for sentences that simply are not grammatically correct, or at least are not written as clearly as they could or should be.

Here’s the ****-retentive part of me I mentioned. “Timber Cabinn.” I assume you intended on it to be spelled that way because you were consistent in that spelling, but you should have established that spelling somehow, perhaps by spelling it “CabInn” or simply saying something like “yes, with two “n”s. It’s the little things that can make readers stop paying attention to all the good stuff and get bogged down with the minutia that makes them stop focusing on all the good stuff you created.

Paul Bunyon Lumberjack Show- Frankly, I like lumberjack shows. I’m including one in Americana 1900, but there is no way that you could do such a show with just two people. Paul and Jill can be the featured lumberjacks, but you’d have to have more than just those two. Don’t assume that I know that you intend on having a larger cast. BTW, I loved Babe!

The visual presentation was outstanding, well-crafted and designed, and the images you chose did a fine job of establishing the look you intended for your land.

Now it looks like I didn’t enjoy this presentation, and that would not be true. I really did enjoy it- My mother’s grandparents were pioneer loggers in the Pacific Northwest, and I would really love to spend most if not the entire day exploring Yukon Valley and all of the amazing activities it holds. I would enjoy it even more if you had ramped up your originality and cleaned up the writing presentation technically.

When I first jumped into this adventure as a guest reviewer, I found in Team Space a team that was a bit disorganized and not working as a team. I wanted to encourage you, inspire you and stroke your egos a bit to get you working together better, and you’ve made major advances in that area. It’s time to get your game-face on, your originality dial set to “11”, and your professional presentation standards up to that of deserving a capital “I” in imagineer. Right now, you’re imagineers. You have the capability and talents to be considered Imagineers!

It’s time for Team Space to inspire ME!​
My **** got censored! I LOVE IT!! What if I said *****? Or ********? Or %@*^%$&!? Now I know how my son felt when he tried to get Alexa to say a dirty word!

DisneyManOne

Better Late Than Never Reviews

Stanza XII

Team Space ~ The World Above

First of all, I love the idea of a sky-themed pavilion. I know I've talked before about how I'd personally set up Future World with feng-shui -- four pavilions on each side of Spaceship Earth and the Future World Plaza -- and The World Above would fit in beautifully with our real-life Future World. It would literally be "Land, Sea and Sky!" Heck, one could even argue that in this universe, The Living Seas could potentially be built in-between The Land and The Land Above, so "Land, Sea and Sky" are in the proper order! So, right off the bat, this project is getting high marks from me!

You did an excellent job recapturing the spirit of the original EPCOT. I really do feel as if this could legitimately be among the original Future World line-up. The attractions were wonderful -- I love how you put Walt's plane into the pavilion; the film was interesting; Forecast Follies was kitschy in the best possible way; and Take Flight was a wonderful update on the Peter Pan's Flight system. The restaurants were likewise incredible. I love how Aviator's Lounge was designed like something you'd see in an airport; and the Runway gift shop was very clever. I love the kineticism of it all.

As we move into the 1990s, I must say I was pleasantly surprised by the Von Drake film. It reminded me of the Sing-Along Songs tapes and how they recontextualized the Von Drake specials. Plus, Von Drake is such a natural host for something for EPCOT; and his screwball personality definitely helps what would otherwise make a boring film a lot more engaging and entertaining. I'd watch this over Circle of Life any day.

Is it good or bad that I cringed so much when reading Forecast Follies 2.0? Either way, I'd say you guys did a great job at capturing that Eisner-tenure "trying-way-too-hard-to-be-cool" energy. Soarin', on the other hand, fits The World Above like a glove. I love how you were able to work Soarin' into this, and how you were able to create a new film for it. However, that begs the question: What ends up replacing Food Rocks if Soarin' opens in The World Above? Does it suffer a similar fate as Forecast Follies?

Speaking of Food Rocks, I do love how Forecast Follies' final fate matches up with Food Rocks' fate: A "trying-way-too-hard-to-be-cool" show getting replaced by an incredible E-ticket. Your Rocketeer experience was absolutely incredible! I honestly wouldn't mind seeing this at EPCOT! Plus, tying in the weather to a Rocketeer battle? Perfect! To me, this is a perfect example of why I look forward to EPCOT's future: Though some may deride Chapek's drive for IP, if you still have the ride tell a good, engaging story, there's nothing to fear! And with Ratatouille and Cosmic Rewind, and quite possibly Journey of Water and Mary Poppins, I think we're gonna be in for some real fun!

Bravo, Team Space!

Team Reality ~ Beneath the Surface

First of all, I love that you guys set this up like a Yesterland page. Very inspired choice!

Beneath Our Feet was pleasant enough, as is. However, I admit that there were times that it reminded me of Universe of Energy, and how it was derided for being incredibly boring. I wonder if this ride would cause a similar reaction among guests? Likewise, I am not too keen on the song. To me, "It's Neat Beneath Our Feet" sounds like a knockoff of "It's Fun To Be Free."

I'm just gonna say it: Rocky needs to be a real EPCOT character! Honestly, from the way you guys wrote this thing -- with Rocky having to deal with the cataclysmic effects that led to the creation of our earth -- it honestly feels like one of those educational shorts where a character is basically tortured by "what the world would be like without ______ " (i;e the "zinc" short from The Simpsons). And I mean that in the best possible way; as that archaic nature could lead to big laughs and keep the children's attention.

The other attractions were delightful; I particularly like the earthquake simulator. I feel as though that would be a unique way to get more thrills into the EPCOT experience. And I love how the food at Earth's Crust mainly revolves around pizza. That's a good pun if there ever was one!

The idea of having William Daniels serve as the host for the 1998 Beneath the Surface is an idea so obvious, I am honestly surprised they never got him to do something for EPCOT. It works so well! Storm Rescue was quite an exhilarating ride; and I love how you were able to round out Dr. Gale's character. At first glance, Gale seems like yet another "Eisner-trying-way-too-hard-to-be-cool" effort, but you guys went and gave him some personality and character. Well done!

I actually admire how the changes post-1998 were very minimum. Beneath the Surface as a whole does have the perfect mix of something for everyone. Also, I love the nod that the pavilion got more popular after WandaVision. I smell a potential IP overhaul...

Well done, Team Reality!

Team Time ~ The Database

I got strong Inner Space vibes as I read through the Compu-Tour. The combination of Omnimover vehicles and bold depictions of 80s technology really made for quite a strong impression. Quite an excellent ride! However, I do feel that the various exhibits would seem sort of redundant with CommuniCore steps away. Since CommuniCore and The Database both focus on new technologies, I do feel it would give off a sense of "second verse, same as the first." And I must ask: is MARIA meant to be a counterpart to SMRT-1? I can easily imagine her making a few references to the CommuniCore robot.

I can easily see how the entire pavilion would get upgraded. Of all the modern technologies, computers seem to be the ones that evolve the fastest. I can easily picture people in the '90s commenting about how outdated The Compu-Tour is. Web Surfer does seem to be quite the thrill ride. It basically feels like Body Wars if it were a coaster instead of a simulator. And the concept of the Navigator Lounge being a life-size, interactive AOL homepage was pretty clever. The various descriptions of the rooms was quite the clever touch.

I admit, as I first got a taste of the "New" Database, fear struck through me. You see, I do not care for Ralph Breaks the Internet at all. Easily among the worst films in the DAC. But then again, there are quite a few excellent theme park rides based around horrible movies, and I admit, the "New" Database was among them. I love how you brought the IP in and still brought in various ties and nods to the original Database. I was particularly tickled by how the new coaster was referred to as "Compu-Tour"; a nice little nod to the original main draw. And I admit, I got a chuckle out of the use of "A Winner is You!" Plus, the fact that you didn't have the ride go through the part of the film devoted to Disney getting all Narcissus on us automatically gave this ride a few more points.

Welcome back, MARIA! Tech Talk was a perfect way to expand upon one of Disney's more clever technologies. Take the basic Turtle Talk/Laugh Floor system and add it to a full-blown animatronic, and you've got a recipe for success! Not mincing words: I absolutely love this concept! And everything else about the "NEW EPCOT" Database was wonderful, too -- the exhibits, the restaurants, the shops, all of it incredible! Again, Ralph Breaks the Internet may stink, but Wreck-It Ralph's Database is pretty darn awesome!

Excellent work, Team Time!

DashHaber

Team Time ~ The Database

I got strong Inner Space vibes as I read through the Compu-Tour. The combination of Omnimover vehicles and bold depictions of 80s technology really made for quite a strong impression. Quite an excellent ride! However, I do feel that the various exhibits would seem sort of redundant with CommuniCore steps away. Since CommuniCore and The Database both focus on new technologies, I do feel it would give off a sense of "second verse, same as the first." And I must ask: is MARIA meant to be a counterpart to SMRT-1? I can easily imagine her making a few references to the CommuniCore robot.

I can easily see how the entire pavilion would get upgraded. Of all the modern technologies, computers seem to be the ones that evolve the fastest. I can easily picture people in the '90s commenting about how outdated The Compu-Tour is. Web Surfer does seem to be quite the thrill ride. It basically feels like Body Wars if it were a coaster instead of a simulator. And the concept of the Navigator Lounge being a life-size, interactive AOL homepage was pretty clever. The various descriptions of the rooms was quite the clever touch.

I admit, as I first got a taste of the "New" Database, fear struck through me. You see, I do not care for Ralph Breaks the Internet at all. Easily among the worst films in the DAC. But then again, there are quite a few excellent theme park rides based around horrible movies, and I admit, the "New" Database was among them. I love how you brought the IP in and still brought in various ties and nods to the original Database. I was particularly tickled by how the new coaster was referred to as "Compu-Tour"; a nice little nod to the original main draw. And I admit, I got a chuckle out of the use of "A Winner is You!" Plus, the fact that you didn't have the ride go through the part of the film devoted to Disney getting all Narcissus on us automatically gave this ride a few more points.

Welcome back, MARIA! Tech Talk was a perfect way to expand upon one of Disney's more clever technologies. Take the basic Turtle Talk/Laugh Floor system and add it to a full-blown animatronic, and you've got a recipe for success! Not mincing words: I absolutely love this concept! And everything else about the "NEW EPCOT" Database was wonderful, too -- the exhibits, the restaurants, the shops, all of it incredible! Again, Ralph Breaks the Internet may stink, but Wreck-It Ralph's Database is pretty darn awesome!

Excellent work, Team Time!
I'm sorry if it didn't come across in the project's introduction, but the idea is that the EPCOT Computer Central would not be at CommuniCore, what with the Database being the big computer showcase.

And also, thank you!

spacemt354

Chili's
86qFfX6.png

Alright people, let's do this one last time. As we've hurdled back into the Sorcerer's Apprentice Universe, our cosmic trails have condensed to create the Sorcerer's-Verse.

In order to propel forward in this dimension - we'll need some friendly neighborhood Spidermen to help us along the way. Meet your new teams!

WQS5ri6.jpg

@Disney Dad 3000
@JokersWild
@Shannoninthemagic
@ThemeParkPriest
@Solaris Knight

04D1T8p.jpg

@tcool123
@MickeyWaffleCo.
@TwilightZone
@montydysquith-navarro
@DashHaber

d8owjP0.jpg

@Tegan pilots a chicken
@Pi on my Cake
@Honey Bee
@Sharon&Susan
@Imagineer Brandon

Team Maguire, you'll be staying at Disney's Polynesian Village Resort
6MJGjSz.jpg

Team Garfield, you'll be staying at Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
uEmwwBU.jpg

Team Holland, you'll be staying at Disney's Contemporary Resort
TnlryB0.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom