The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 4: Homecoming Edition

P_Radden

Team Brava Review:

First off I want to say I purposely stayed out of the brainstorming process in order to be surprised by the finished product, and wow! You guys did an amazing job all around. This is a Fantasyland I would love to visit. I really appreciate how the project begins with the basic fundamentals that I wish were more realized in reality at WDW, restoring, repainting, and updating what's there. Additionally, I really like Alice’s Curious Pizza. This is an awesome idea. In fact, I mentioned it to my wife and she instantly wanted to learn more about it.:cool: The outdoor seating blended to the hedge maze is a great idea as well. However, I'd really like to learn more about the interior of the restaurant. How will guests order? How is the dining room themed/laid out? You could do it in a line with a glass window separating guests from the toppings (Subway style like Blaze Pizza), or have the kitchen in the center with toppings around the perimeter of the circle facing guests seated around. Lots of options here as well with the indoor dining areas.

Mr's Toad's Wild Ride, you guys hit this out of the park IMHO. Just reading this made me upset we don't have it in WDW. I love the hybrid technologies in use here, and the meshing of a classic with more thrills. Fantastic storytelling as well. :) Only request here would be more concept art. As much as I like the plan here, I want to feel it more. Additional concept art would really help demonstrate how powerful an attraction this can be.

Fantasia Fields also sounds awesome and I feel this IP is a great candidate for its own mini-land. Pastoral Symphony Canal Boats and your version of Toad are attractions fans like me dream about. I would want to ride these repeatedly just to take in all the details. I really appreciate the artwork and overall indepth thought on display with this particular attraction in this project. Passion for the film is clearly in display in how carefully thought out each ride scene is described. Bravo fellas. As for the restaurant.... First thing that came to mind is Be Our Guest but better... Again wow. :eek:

And it just keeps getting better... 100 Acre Wood set in a giant building sounds awesome. Personally, I'm a sucker for outdoor themed indoor areas (Mexico Pavilion, Biergarten, Maelstrom load, CBR food court, PotC). But to top those, you guys are talking weather effects which is like icing on the cake here. Speaking of food, the QS food all looks pretty tasty to me. As for the attractions, all 3 attractions proposed here are fantastic ideas. I'd like to learn more about Bounce Along Forest, I'm instantly excited about the "boat ride" Honeycomb Hollow and the playground is perfect for the kiddos. All in all, this mini-land in a building concept is IMO executed very well.

So here we are... Sleeping Beauty Mine Train. This is it. This is what I see as the overall headliner of the land. This is 100x more appealing to me than 7DMT. Additionally, I gotta say, fantastic artwork guys, this really makes your project so enjoyable to review. Another home run. I love every aspect from queue to load to the scenes to unload. All of it. :D

Dreams of Fantasy also sounds amazing. With HEA technology in use I have no doubt it would be a spectacular show. Great homage to the film, each scene is well planned here. Love the climax, love the "feels"

I may not be the best reviewer because I can't really seem to not like any aspect of this project. The entire thing is simply awesome... Like, to the point now I'm never going to be happy when at MK's FL/NFL knowing what possibilities are out there (even though I know this proposal is specifically for DLP). Fantastic work everyone. This has been a pleasure to review. One final thought.... Do Future World next ;)

tcool123

Team Verde Review:

First off I want to say I purposely stayed out of the brainstorming process in order to be surprised by the finished product, and wow! You guys did an amazing job all around. This is a Fantasyland I would love to visit. I really appreciate how the project begins with the basic fundamentals that I wish were more realized in reality at WDW, restoring, repainting, and updating what's there. Additionally, I really like Alice’s Curious Pizza. This is an awesome idea. In fact, I mentioned it to my wife and she instantly wanted to learn more about it.:cool: The outdoor seating blended to the hedge maze is a great idea as well. However, I'd really like to learn more about the interior of the restaurant. How will guests order? How is the dining room themed/laid out? You could do it in a line with a glass window separating guests from the toppings (Subway style like Blaze Pizza), or have the kitchen in the center with toppings around the perimeter of the circle facing guests seated around. Lots of options here as well with the indoor dining areas.

Mr's Toad's Wild Ride, you guys hit this out of the park IMHO. Just reading this made me upset we don't have it in WDW. I love the hybrid technologies in use here, and the meshing of a classic with more thrills. Fantastic storytelling as well. :) Only request here would be more concept art. As much as I like the plan here, I want to feel it more. Additional concept art would really help demonstrate how powerful an attraction this can be.

Fantasia Fields also sounds awesome and I feel this IP is a great candidate for its own mini-land. Pastoral Symphony Canal Boats and your version of Toad are attractions fans like me dream about. I would want to ride these repeatedly just to take in all the details. I really appreciate the artwork and overall indepth thought on display with this particular attraction in this project. Passion for the film is clearly in display in how carefully thought out each ride scene is described. Bravo fellas. As for the restaurant.... First thing that came to mind is Be Our Guest but better... Again wow. :eek:

And it just keeps getting better... 100 Acre Wood set in a giant building sounds awesome. Personally, I'm a sucker for outdoor themed indoor areas (Mexico Pavilion, Biergarten, Maelstrom load, CBR food court, PotC). But to top those, you guys are talking weather effects which is like icing on the cake here. Speaking of food, the QS food all looks pretty tasty to me. As for the attractions, all 3 attractions proposed here are fantastic ideas. I'd like to learn more about Bounce Along Forest, I'm instantly excited about the "boat ride" Honeycomb Hollow and the playground is perfect for the kiddos. All in all, this mini-land in a building concept is IMO executed very well.

So here we are... Sleeping Beauty Mine Train. This is it. This is what I see as the overall headliner of the land. This is 100x more appealing to me than 7DMT. Additionally, I gotta say, fantastic artwork guys, this really makes your project so enjoyable to review. Another home run. I love every aspect from queue to load to the scenes to unload. All of it. :D

Dreams of Fantasy also sounds amazing. With HEA technology in use I have no doubt it would be a spectacular show. Great homage to the film, each scene is well planned here. Love the climax, love the "feels"

I may not be the best reviewer because I can't really seem to not like any aspect of this project. The entire thing is simply awesome... Like, to the point now I'm never going to be happy when at MK's FL/NFL knowing what possibilities are out there (even though I know this proposal is specifically for DLP). Fantastic work everyone. This has been a pleasure to review. One final thought.... Do Future World next ;)
You just reviewed Team Brava, not Team Verde ;):p

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Stanza I Results
Poster1.JPG

Once again thank you to everyone from all three teams to the individual reviews and all of the judges -- this is not an easy decision by any means as all of these projects have such incredible creativity to them. Nevertheless, there must be a winner, so with that said here we go for the rankings (along with the reasons why)

Team Verde
- While the other teams broke the presentation up into realistic 'phases', this team had everything, multiple E-Tickets, D-Tickets, and all, opening at the same time, which is not realistic in today's world.
- Both Castle and Brava had better teamwork and presentations. There were missed opportunities early on to take an original and dark approach that never got fleshed out while the other teams chatted back and forth passionately for days on end
- While this project had shining moments such as the brilliant artwork, Winnie the Pooh, and Hunchback, we all felt it could have been unified with a purpose. Which very much influenced the rankings as a whole.
- Don't fret! This is a non-elimination round, take everything into consideration, get off to a good start in Stanza II and these standings could easily be flipped

Team Castle
Yes, I'm sure you opened that Team Castle and were probably not satisfied. Use those aggressive feelings...and apply them to not being satisfied with throwing everything into a project making it cumbersome to read.
While you may have blown Team Brava and Verde out of the water in terms of detail, sometimes too much detail saturates the project as a whole, and that was the case here.
- Team Brava had a more unique presentation (basically designing the DLP website from scratch)
- Team Brava emphasized their purpose (30th anniversary) throughout, whereas this felt like a Disney Park fan's blue sky dream but not grounded in reality
Despite all that, if you cut out 20-30% of this project, and made it more cohesive to read...this would have been 1st. But rewarding that will set the precedent that 84 page projects are the key to winning, it isn't. That said -- watch out! - this team is gonna be hungry next round and gunning for the winner which is...

Team Brava
A purpose, an effective goal, a realistic interpretation of a New Fantasyland yet combined with the new ideas that fit specifically DLP. From the more mature Sleeping Beauty attraction, to the indoor climate controlled Winnie the Pooh for snow, even to the use of euros for the budget, all combined with 3D animation models that move, concept art that looks like it's from WDI, and an all around pursuit of the project goal, nets Brava the win.

However...this was not a runaway. Castle was very close, and to be honest Verde was hitting their stride towards the end of Stanza I, imagine them at full strength now for an entire project. Do not rest on your laurels, but for now, enjoy the win!

--------------------
You made it through Stanza I -- it seems like everyone enjoyed themselves and had fun which is what this is all about - so let's move on to Stanza II!​

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Back To The Future (World)
After completing the New Fantasyland Expansion of Disneyland Paris, the teams were met with a note from Yen Sid persuading them to head to The Alliance of Knowledge Headquarters, the Resort's 3rd theme park. As the teams traveled towards their destination via the resort's new high-speed monorail system, they could see the looming park icon in the distance surrounded by various lands that the Alliance had inhabited over centuries.
2456414527215818399%253Faccount_id%253D9

Traveling up to the highest peak in the Hub of Knowledge, guests ascended towards a scintillating time machine with Tesla coils and a steampunk design to it.

"Is this safe?" @Disney Dad 3000 asked as the teams wondered whether or not they should enter. Soon, a voice in the dark corner of the room stepped out of the shadows and introduced himself as the founding member of The Alliance of Knowledge.

"Yes indeed it is, this machine is set on a course for one of the most innovative time periods that we have yet to explore in our years of experience...the novelty of EPCOT. Not the living city of the future, but the Future World of global commerce and technology showcased for the world. It was an incredible time and it looks like you're now going to play a vital role in shaping its future...hang on everyone"
Once the coils began to electrify, all the team members shuttered and clenched onto whatever they could grab to stabilize themselves as the time machine zapped them back to 1985.

A flash of lightning and a moment to reorient, the players tried to navigate just where they were launched to. They walked out through a rainbow sensory tunnel and onto a second floor deck inside a glass pyramid, and soon it all became clear...
1.11.JPG

That we've just begun to dream...

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
A Magic Journey
1.15.jpg

Yen Sid searched through his wide array of maps
In hopes to discover something with some gaps
For the teams to fill with their imagination
And something creative that will be a lot of fun.
He happened on a map of Future World
From 1985 and his mind turned and swirled
The teams will work on this in stanza two

Some new pavilions for me and you.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
banner4.2.jpg

Poster2.JPG

With our time travels, we have been sent back to the year 1985, and placed in the heart EPCOT Center surrounded by the inspiring structures of CommuniCore East and West. Beyond the monorail line that encircles CommuniCore are the themed pavilions and attractions; Spaceship Earth, The Universe of Energy, Horizons, World of Motion, Journey into Imagination, and The Land.

On a WorldKey kiosk at Earth Station, we read about how EPCOT Center's ballooned budget along with the construction costs of Tokyo Disneyland in our Sorcerer's Apprentice Universe, actually did not almost bankrupt the company, leaving them with more financial flexibility to invest in the parks. In light of these alternative timeline events, Eisner and Wells decided to continue the 'grand' scale of design for EPCOT Center, by throwing out the original Phase 2 designs of The Living Seas, Wonders of Life, Equatorial Africa, Israel, etc, and hired new groups of talented imagineers to handle their requests...you!

Your task is to design EPCOT Center's Phase 2 plan.
The plan must consist of the following; a new Future World Pavilion set to open in 1987, and a new World Showcase Pavilion set to open in 1988.

Additional WorldKey Information
- The higher-ups do not mind if the themes of 'Seas' or 'Life & Health' are re-used for your new Future World Pavilion. However, if those themes are used, they are expecting them to be presented in a new and more innovative style than the previous designs.

- They would also prefer if the Future World Pavilion, whatever the theme may be, contains multiple guest experiences. Attraction(s), restaurant(s), shop(s), etc as well as a new signature musical playlist, composed of an instrumental area loop and/or a 'theme song'.

- Eisner has already tasked another group of imagineers to design a Norway Pavilion with a Maelstrom boat ride in World Showcase, located in-between Mexico and China, also set to open in 1988. Try to stray away from that location when designing your new World Showcase pavilion.

- Your main goals with both of these pavilions is to immerse the readers in the designs, and create pavilions that truly evoke what EPCOT Center was all about.

- The main focus of your Phase 2 plan should be the required 1 Future World Pavilion and 1 World Showcase Pavilion, however if you'd like to include additional components to the overall Phase 2 plan for EPCOT Center, you may!

- Lastly, remember what time period you're in.

Project Managers
Castle - @MA Screamin'
Verde - @TheOriginalTiki
Brava - @englanddg

Guest Judge
@LouP

Individual Reviewers
Castle - pixie_princess, David2319, The90sKid, DisneyForever
Verde - WowFactor, Fox&Hound, Poe Dameron, FireMountain
Brava - Driver, P_Radden, v_k, WEDImagineering

This Project is due Sunday April 8th at 11:59 PM EST

Time Zones
Pacific Standard Time - 8:59 PM
Eastern Standard Time - 11:59 PM
Greenwich Mean Time - 4:59 AM
Central European Time - 5:59 AM

One final note, for being the winning project manager on Team Brava - @AceAstro has the immunity idol for Stanza II. Therefore, if Team Brava comes in 3rd place, he cannot be nominated to The Board Room.

Any specific questions feel free to ask in your brainstorming PMs or below. Thank you, best of luck to everyone, and enjoy!​

Last edited:

tcool123

I feel that I can speak for all the cohosts and judges that this is an example of what we are looking for for this stanza.

Sealand

Sealand.jpg

Guests visiting the World Showcase will be greeted by the first new country added, the mighty nation of Sealand! This brand new pavilion will be built to a 1:1 scale, yes the only pavilion that is the size of its actual country. Here guests will be able to dine on the cuisine prepared for the royal family themselves. The fun doesn't end there, located in either column of the base guests will be able to watch a Circlevision show based on the history and culture of this mighty nation, or guests can exchange their currency for Sealand coins!

Flash forward to 2007, and Bob Iger purchases the mighty nation for 906 million dollars; it is expected that the nation will be a Disney Cruise Line exclusive destination.​

On the Horizon

In 1993, Horizon closes for refurbishment; it will be receiving a compelling new storyline and a fresh new interior. However this is not that pitch, this good sirs is about the construction walls to be used in said refurbishment!

86.-Construction-wall-and-large-mound-of-dirt-future-world-epcot-walt-disney-world.jpg

The construction walls we will be using will be made out of 100% Oak wood, a nice and sturdy wood. It will be painted a nice futuristic, Cerulean with Turquoise and Periwinkle accents. Inspirational quotes said by Walt Disney will be paraphrased to be used as decoration on the walls; the quotes will not be Eggshell, but a striking white. Lastly the walls will be a good seven feet tall to scare off those who try to look over it.
Happy Easter, and April Fool's :D

Also these are real projects from the One Sentence Competition that I created a couple years ago.

AceAstro

I feel that I can speak for all the cohosts and judges that this is an example of what we are looking for for this stanza.

Sealand

Sealand.jpg

Guests visiting the World Showcase will be greeted by the first new country added, the mighty nation of Sealand! This brand new pavilion will be built to a 1:1 scale, yes the only pavilion that is the size of its actual country. Here guests will be able to dine on the cuisine prepared for the royal family themselves. The fun doesn't end there, located in either column of the base guests will be able to watch a Circlevision show based on the history and culture of this mighty nation, or guests can exchange their currency for Sealand coins!

Flash forward to 2007, and Bob Iger purchases the mighty nation for 906 million dollars; it is expected that the nation will be a Disney Cruise Line exclusive destination.​

On the Horizon

In 1993, Horizon closes for refurbishment; it will be receiving a compelling new storyline and a fresh new interior. However this is not that pitch, this good sirs is about the construction walls to be used in said refurbishment!

86.-Construction-wall-and-large-mound-of-dirt-future-world-epcot-walt-disney-world.jpg

The construction walls we will be using will be made out of 100% Oak wood, a nice and sturdy wood. It will be painted a nice futuristic, Cerulean with Turquoise and Periwinkle accents. Inspirational quotes said by Walt Disney will be paraphrased to be used as decoration on the walls; the quotes will not be Eggshell, but a striking white. Lastly the walls will be a good seven feet tall to scare off those who try to look over it.

Also these are real projects from the One Sentence Competition that I created a couple years ago.
At least the posted a nice Horizons construction photo instead of this monster.

52225A2B-FB67-430F-89E0-53B5CCB6B677.jpeg

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster

Sealand

Sealand.jpg

On the Horizon

Golden-buzzer.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom