The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 4: Homecoming Edition - Discussion Thread

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Absolutely see Coco! I got to see it with Space opening week!

It's probably next to UP on the Pixar movie scale for me, it's really amazing. - The visuals are enough to go see it, in my opinion.
I care little about visuals..more music and plot.

But, I will! I'd love a good emotional experience!

I saw a bit of what tcool put in his spoiler and was like....nope...no...stop now, go see the movie.

Why?

I lost 2 elders in my family last year.

So, it can mean something in context, I think (based on the rest of what he said)...so...

See it in context first, then appreciate it later.

tcool123

On the theme of Pixar movies tearing me up by year:
  • Inside Out (2015): The story that Riley went through when she attempted to run away was once again relatable. It was at this time during the film that both me and my parents were crying bittersweet tear when Riley and her parents reunited. Didn't feel anything with the actual main character of Joy and Sadness, but the ending for Riley really got me. However not to an extreme just what Riley did.
  • Coco (2017): Went over why above ;)
I didn't see Coco.

From the limited description tcool and others give it, I think I should?

Pixar is hit or miss. For me...they hit it out of the park with their "down" projects...so, I suppose Coco should have been higher on my list.

Their "cartoon" projects...well...they are ok.

That said...I still stand by the position that Inside Out is the best movie made in decades when it comes to inspecting the pubescent mindset and life in general. (yeah....I love that movie)

In my opinion Coco is the best Pixar film hands down. It was easily the most relatable film for me. The family dynamic, the culture the film presents, the music were all things similar to how I experience things in life. Including things such as the "chancla" you don't mess with the "chancla", nor Imelda's "the look". Additionally the plot and visuals of the film invelopped the viewer, and for me were simply hands down the best.

tcool123

In the last thirty minutes my government teacher has done the following:
  • Halfed the value of everyone's 25 case briefs. Typically three page long assignments taking anywhere from 45 to a hour
  • Doubled the value of definitions. Each definition is typically 2 paragraphs one for the definition and another for an example
  • Changed his grading scale for tests lowering the scores of everyone
  • Put forth a one A per class rule
  • Changed my grade from an A to a D to a C to an A
  • Managed to anger the entire student body, all the teaches, the faculty, and the principle
  • Cause 100+ emails to be sent by parents and students to the principal
  • And all within there only being three school days left to change any grades.
The every teacher and student sounds like an exaggeration, but we have three other teachers and everyone must have him for government. I'm just wondering if I'm going to find out what my grade is going to be this semester for this class.

Fun.

spacemt354

Chili's
  • Halfed the value of everyone's 25 case briefs. Typically three page long assignments taking anywhere from 45 to a hour
  • Doubled the value of definitions. Each definition is typically 2 paragraphs one for the definition and another for an example
  • Managed to anger the entire student body, all the teaches, the faculty, and the principle
The every teacher and student sounds like an exaggeration, but we have three other teachers and everyone must have him for government. I'm just wondering if I'm going to find out what my grade is going to be this semester for this class.

Fun.
One A per class?

I've never heard of such a thing...

englanddg

One Little Spark...

Fun.
As a former teacher, may I ask how you know this?

tcool123

As a former teacher, may I ask how you know this?
The change in grades were seen in our gradebooks. Which was done after everything had been graded and reviewed we had known what he reviewed, why and the percentage for each assignment.
Likewise to my grade fluctuation.
We deucted one A pretty fast we have a groupchat with each class and the enire student body. People were sitting at 3.49s the maximum B when they were at 3.9 momments before.
The 100+ emails is the number one of our teachers/counselors reported publicly, and was also were the teachers and faculty were upset as well.
This was all done through our gradebooks and a website were the school makes announcements.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
On the theme of Pixar movies tearing me up by year:
  • Inside Out (2015): The story that Riley went through when she attempted to run away was once again relatable. It was at this time during the film that both me and my parents were crying bittersweet tear when Riley and her parents reunited. Didn't feel anything with the actual main character of Joy and Sadness, but the ending for Riley really got me. However not to an extreme just what Riley did.
  • Coco (2017): Went over why above ;)

In my opinion Coco is the best Pixar film hands down. It was easily the most relatable film for me. The family dynamic, the culture the film presents, the music were all things similar to how I experience things in life. Including things such as the "chancla" you don't mess with the "chancla", nor Imelda's "the look". Additionally the plot and visuals of the film invelopped the viewer, and for me were simply hands down the best.
Don't take offense at this, but in my experience, latinos tend to like any media that makes them out to be....latino.

As if Latinos all love each other. Call a Colombian a Puerto Rican, and watch the hate spew out. You can see where I'm going.

They tend to ignore the conflicts that exist (call a Colombian a Mexican, etc), much less the blatant racism in the community, list goes on.

It's the same sort of, excuse the term....white washing...I see of my own half of the family that is Native American, where they LOVED Pocohontas in the 90s, but hated it decades later because it didn't "accurately represent whatever their issue is".

I will go see the movie, but...I had concerns as to if it truly represents things, or if it accurately represents things.

Now, I'll make an arguement as to why I like Inside Out so much.

It, represents...what someone who was part of a boomer or near boomer household, was going through.

I didn't grow up with "family and friends". I went to 15 schools in 18 years, most of which were not only in different parts of the country (US), but were sometimes in other countries.

I didn't grow up knowing that my "bully" would some how grow into the local purveyor of burgers, and be an overall good guy....all I knew at the time was...he was my enemy and he beat me up.

And, I didn't get the luxury of having nearby family to comfort me, as my family was not a mile away, not even a few dozen miles away, but thousands of miles away, and I saw them every few years at best.

So, when I see movies that celebrate the "family"...I support them. Because, it is a wonderful ideal.

But, I also don't think they are accurate to address reality. They look back on history, but only selective family history, as accurate.

This is NO DIFFERENT than my cousins who sit on reservations about how treaties were broken over 100 years ago, yet refuse to go to college because "reasons".

And, in our modern media, media elites signaling to groups...well...it works sometimes, it doesn't work sometimes, but....signaling to hispanic groups is a major market...you would think....

If your "story" of a "child" is that he does no "wrong"...than, that isn't the story of any child.

And, if your "story" of a "culture" is that they were completely right....that also, isn't historically accurate.

I'll leave you with this....

englanddg

One Little Spark...
The main villain of coco, from what I've read is a complete monster.
Not sure if that counts as a culture thing or not, but if it makes you feel better, there you go.
After what people have said here (like tcool) about coco, I want to go see it.

I was very worried it was a play to a demographic. Along these lines, I was very excited about Book of Life.

And, it was ok. A nice feel good movie.

But, not a PIXAR emotional experience.

tcool123

The main villain of coco, from what I've read is a complete monster.
Don't get me started on that abominable creature what the villain did is truly awful, and I would say a first for Disney? I can't really remember if what the villain has done has been done before.
Not sure if that counts as a culture thing or not, but if it makes you feel better, there you go.
Not a culture thing the villain is a genuinely horrible person.

One of my most hated villains for his actions, but not one of my favorite villainous characters.

englanddg

One Little Spark...

englanddg

One Little Spark...
So, I'll come back around. Why did I "run away"....

Well, part of that was first going to see "family" on the "reservation" where I was told that I was not "equal" to "others" and that was why I was "made fun of"....

And, I wish I was kidding.

So, when I got tired of it....tired of playing the "game"....like Riley, I said, screw it...and ran away.

And, like Riley...I learned my family did care...but, a wedge had been driven.

See, Inside Out doesn't get into this, but it could...once you do that, it isn't all happy.

And, a modern american child can't, in any way, even begin to comprehend what it was like to be....a slave. Or a conquistador. Or a farmer in the 1800s. We can only share what we do share. Media.

But, they sure as hell think they can comment on it...because movies.

spacemt354

Chili's
I related to Inside Out mostly because it showed how you can't stow away negative emotions like sadness...

And more than touched on depression which is something that is growing increasingly relevant in todays social circles with the rise of tech and the way people communicate.

You can't simply ignore painful memories -- rather embrace and grow from them rather than treat them as something you need to forget.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
It's the same sort of, excuse the term....white washing...I see of my own half of the family that is Native American, where they LOVED Pocohontas in the 90s, but hated it decades later because it didn't "accurately represent whatever their issue is".

And, if I may, as a Native American...

I could care less about "mexican family blah blah feel good nonsense"

MY tribe had these lands historically, not Mexican tribes, and if we are going to play that game, MY tribe (and other native tribes who are NOT Mexican) own these lands.

It's interesting to see the change in media on different aspects.

I feel like just looking at Disney lens on Spanish culture through looking at the WRE Banditos all the way to Coco shows a big shift - Very Interesting.

I hope there's something in the future for Native American Culture - There's some great stories from the Montana/Wyoming tribes that'd be excellent on screen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom