The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 4: Homecoming Edition - Discussion Thread

tcool123

thanks. was trying for fri the 14th when we were due to be at AK. I got one for Sun 16th (day we check out of BW and head to orange lake), but it completely messes with plans. Ah well. Joys of planning!
Maybe this will cheer up your mood?

In honor of 100+ followers on Twitter I organized for a give away.

If you're interested all you have to do are meet the tweet's requirements.

AceAstro

Kong was better than this

I was just watching this video this morning. What a disappointment. Can't believe a classic like Disaster! was closed for this. Besides the physical set at the beginning (which is the only good part from what I've heard/ seen), it is an exact copy of the Hollywood Studios one. I feel like this attraction could have been so much better (Actually racing like Radiator Springs Racers) and then we were just left with something flat.

Suchomimus

I was just watching this video this morning. What a disappointment. Can't believe a classic like Disaster! was closed for this. Besides the physical set at the beginning (which is the only good part from what I've heard/ seen), it is an exact copy of the Hollywood Studios one. I feel like this attraction could have been so much better (Actually racing like Radiator Springs Racers) and then we were just left with something flat.
Out of all the Tram Tour scenes that have been adapted into attractions, this is the most uninspired.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
The original tran tour attractions (Earthquake, Kongfrontation, Jaws) were way better attractions as they relied on the practical effects. Now they’re all just screen-based attractions :confused:
They were better attractions because they were good attractions. Each used unique and incredible ride systems. Kongfrontation and Jaws greatly expanded on the tram section and did new, clever things. Earthquake had a clever, fun, and informative multistage preshow even if the ride itself was basically the same.

Kong and F&F are just not good rides. New Kong has some alright moments but nothing in it flows story, tone, anything wise because it isn't a new experience inspired by the tram tour, it is the tram tour sequence lazily slapped onto a different experience. The monsters, the temple, the skulss, the tribes, the horror, the scientists, all the stuff introduced and focused on for the queue and first half of the ride are ignored completely when you get to the "big event" with the 360 segment from the tram tour nad it is all dinosaurs and jungles and spiders and action. It doesn't even look like the same visual quality. Then you end seeing an animatronic Kong head made to scale for the original kong ride not the Kong we just saw in the 360 film. It's a mess. and screens aren't what makes it a mess.

That being said, some nifty animatronics and practical sets would be better at distracting from the mess of the attraction than screens are.

AceAstro

They were better attractions because they were good attractions. Each used unique and incredible ride systems. Kongfrontation and Jaws greatly expanded on the tram section and did new, clever things. Earthquake had a clever, fun, and informative multistage preshow even if the ride itself was basically the same.

Kong and F&F are just not good rides. New Kong has some alright moments but nothing in it flows story, tone, anything wise because it isn't a new experience inspired by the tram tour, it is the tram tour sequence lazily slapped onto a different experience. The monsters, the temple, the skulss, the tribes, the horror, the scientists, all the stuff introduced and focused on for the queue and first half of the ride are ignored completely when you get to the "big event" with the 360 segment from the tram tour nad it is all dinosaurs and jungles and spiders and action. It doesn't even look like the same visual quality. Then you end seeing an animatronic Kong head made to scale for the original kong ride not the Kong we just saw in the 360 film. It's a mess. and screens aren't what makes it a mess.

That being said, some nifty animatronics and practical sets would be better at distracting from the mess of the attraction than screens are.
I completely agree. I haven't had a chance to ride the new Kong attraction (or Kongfrontation for that matter) but was lucky enough to see both variations in Hollywood. In my opinion, nothing will compete with the original although I may be bitter as where they put the new Kong at USH means we don't go over the collapsing bridge anymore and I loved that part of the tram tour.

I enjoy watching Tim Tracker as he had a great video of the area/ queue and I don't follow Universal anywhere near as much as Disney so didn't know what to expect with the attraction but based off of the facade I definitely expected some big coaster or something like that. When I saw a video of the Kong attraction at USO (USF? I never know the acronym for it lol), I was extremely disappointed. I feel like they completely ruined the facade/ queue with just a screen attraction that could have been so much more.

The only thing that remotely saves the attraction is that animatronic head. It is absolutely incredible and definitely does Kongfrontation justice.

I feel like this would have been the perfect IP for Universal to create an Indiana Jones/ Dinosaur like attraction themed around King Kong!

AceAstro

I was gonna say that!
I went over the size of the show buildings/ queues of Skull Island: Reign of Kong, Dinosaur, Indiana Jones and Fast and the Furious Supercharged to see what they truly had the room for and they are pretty interesting. I've ordered them from biggest to smallest:
  1. Fast and the Furious: Supercharged ~ 2.60 Acres (approximately as Google Maps hasn't been updated yet)
  2. Skull Island: Reign of Kong ~ 2.58 Acres (Outdoor section and queue included)
  3. Indiana Jones Adventure ~ 2.31 Acres (Including the MASSIVE immersive queue)
  4. Dinosaur ~ 2.05 Acres (not including the dinosaur statue outside)

They easily had the space both times for a true, practical set, E-ticket attraction! For another comparison, the Great Movie Ride show building is only about 1.79 Acres and that was almost all practical sets. Only one screen in the whole attraction (minus the queue)!!

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

So I might be delaying my next WDW trip until next year in order to work in a Cedar Point trip at the end of the summer. Cedar Point has always been a "bucket list" thing for me and doing research on the price points I can have a pretty darn incredible trip for less than half of what it would cost me for Disney World. Plus I'm making enough on my job right now that I could save up for WDW afterwards and still be able to get back there less than a year between trips.

30724989_1819845994721221_5449704914643058688_n.png

This represents a stay at the Breakers Express hotel. I'd have to take a short taxi or Uber ride to the park each day but staying at the Express hotel over the proper Breakers resort would save 500$ that I could use towards WDW. With this I'd have a three day theme park ticket, a breakfast buffet each day before the parks open, and all the perks listed out from the Fast Lane bundle which would cover all my dining and drinks as well as making the crowds a lot less stressful. I've already got enough money saved up from my hypothetical WDW trip that I could literally book this right now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom