The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Season 3

Sam Magic

28v6mwo.png

Introduction
The world is a magical place; filled with fantasy and enchantment. Stories can be found in every corner of the world that are just waiting to be told or written. Here at Walt Disney World we allow our guests to discover new stories and to write their own, and at Disney's Grand European Resort this will be no different.

Disney's Grand European Resort will be the newest moderate resort at Disney World and be located in the Magic Kingdom Resort Area. In total the resort will feature 866 rooms and be divided into three sections. These sections will be based on three countries/regions in Europe. The first will be Southern France, the second Scandinavia, and the third the Mediterranean.

The Resort
Fontainebleau_Chateau.jpg
The entrance of this elegant resort will be modeled after The Palace of Fontainebleau. Inside will be the main lobby, one hundred elegantly decorated rooms, a gift shop, and the main European restaurant "Le Napoleon". After leaving the palace guests will be able to enjoy three countries and European regions; France, Scandinavia, and the Mediterranean.

53699c4a67bf2038eda5ea0079d4ea9e.jpg

In France guests will have the opportunity to stay in a small French Village. The buildings will be themed to the towns and villages that dot the South of France and Loire Valley. On the first level of some buildings there will be shops and small cafes serving ice cream, coffee, or other French foods. The rooms in the French buildings will be elegant, but modern, many will overlook on the resort with veranda's. The architectural styles of the resort will truly be impressive. Accents around the resort will tell unique stories, and street performers will bring the stories to life. At night guests can gather round a warm fire, enjoy French treats, and be told family-friendly stories of heroic journey's. They can also go out with the Town Crier to make sure the village is safe, a video of what it may entail is below. Adults can even become their own wine connoisseurs at a wine tasting diner. The elegance of French culture and life will become a seductive reality here.

versailles-gardens-fountains.jpg
The true centerpiece of this area will be the Jardin du Napoleon. This garden is inspired by the Gardens of Versailles and will feature a relaxing and inviting pool and pond. In the pond guests will be able to rent boats and paddle around and the pool will be relaxing and inviting for all guests.

Taste of France and videos related to the French Village:

Amsterdam.jpg

Moving away from the quite and relaxing life in the French Village guests will be able to rent a bike and travel throughout the inviting Dutch and Swedish townhomes reminiscent of Amsterdam, Copenhagen, and Stockholm. The inviting a colorful buildings will provide a lovely setting for your dream vacation and with people, street vendors, and street performers all around you will be drawn into an exciting resort. Each townhouse will be connected with the rest of the resort with canals and cobblestone streets and bridges. They will feature traditional accents, but modern comforts.
epcot_scandinavia_2.jpg
The centerpiece of this are will be the 'Town Square'. The Town Square will feature an elegant cafeteria in a recreation of the Stockholm City Hall, outside will be a combination of unique architectural styles from the Netherlands, Denmark, and Sweden and inside will be shops and restaurants selling imported products and recipes from Scandinavian countries. Guests will also be able to ride in boats on the Canal's.

Video's Pertaining to Scandinavia below:

AM-2436-16-24_1024x1024.jpg

Moving along the lake expansion (for which the resort sits), guests will see the blue domes of a Greek Village. Cyprus Trees will rise up from the ground and bring to life stories of Ancient heroes, Gods, and Goddesses. This half of the resort will be divided into two sections; the first will be be an outer-ring of Greek Architecture and an intercity designed around the architecture and style of Rome.
rome_2___piazza_navona_by_okavanga-d4yhnr6.jpg

img_9302.jpg

The center of this section of the resort will feature a Roman Ruins pool. Here guests will be able to explore the beauty of Imperial Rome, and also enjoy themselves in the cool and relaxing waters. The rooms in the outer ring will be reserved for Disney Vacation Club Villa's, but in the inner-ring the rooms will be for normal guests. As with the rest of the rooms the decoration will be modern, but also feature hints of both Greece and Italy.

The Rooms

- Standard View Room - An elegant room themed to France, Scandinavia, or the Mediterranean
A View of the villages or Lake
2 Queen Sized Beds
1 Bathroom
1 Mini Fridge
1 Coffee Maker
1 Bathroom

- Fairytale Room - Stay inside a room themed to beloved Disney Fantasy Films. Each room will make sense in the area it is in. In Greece guests will stay in Hercules rooms, or in Scandinavia/France guests can choose between Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, or Beauty and the Beast.
A View of the village or lake
2 Queen Sized Beds
1 Bathroom
1 Mini Fridge
1 Coffee Maker
1 Bathroom

- Townhouse - An elegant Room themed to the village or city you are in (French, Scandinavia, and Greece)A View of the lake, villages, or Gardens
4 Queen Sized Beds
2 Bathroom
1 Mini Fridge
1 Coffee Maker
1 kitchenette
4 twin bed

- Palace Room - An elegant room themed to the Palace of Fontainebleau
A View of the Gardens
2 Queen Sized Beds
1 Bathroom
1 Mini Fridge
1 Coffee Maker
1 Bathroom

MAP
Due to problems with my uploading software and pixlr I was not able to complete the map, but the resort is located around this expansion of Seven Seas lagoon. North of the Golf Resort and North West of the Grand Floridian (the large bend in the lake on the Magic Kingdom side):
213n6oh.png

Thank You for reading and for your consideration:
-Sam4D23 Project Manager

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

First of all, I'd like to apologize for not being present the last round or so. As mid-terms start to creep up my availibility is getting pretty limited. Anyways, here's my thoughts on the projects.

Team Mickey: San Francisco is always a go-to theme for be, being a Bay Area resident. I'm pretty sure I'm done at least two or three "San Francisco Main Street" projects in various contests over the years. I liked how you pinpointed the area and rounded out that side of the resort property. There's a good amount of variety here, but I would have liked to have seen a bit more detail and perhaps one or two extra activities. Where's Alcatraz, for example? LOVE the Lombard Slides :D

Team Goofy: This project probably had more detail than Mickey's presentation, but I feel like the actual resort proposed was more of a mixed bag. When you do something as broad of a theme as "European" you're kind of opening yourself up to the thing looking like a hodgepodge of different styles of architecture smashed together, and honestly that's kind of what it feels like. You have really good ideas like all the gardens and the ability to ride bikes through the resort, but I didn't feel there was much of a flow from country to country. Not to mention the general idea reminds me of World Showcase a bit too much for my liking. Still a very solid effort regardless!

Sam Magic

First of all, I'd like to apologize for not being present the last round or so. As mid-terms start to creep up my availibility is getting pretty limited. Anyways, here's my thoughts on the projects.

Team Mickey: San Francisco is always a go-to theme for be, being a Bay Area resident. I'm pretty sure I'm done at least two or three "San Francisco Main Street" projects in various contests over the years. I liked how you pinpointed the area and rounded out that side of the resort property. There's a good amount of variety here, but I would have liked to have seen a bit more detail and perhaps one or two extra activities. Where's Alcatraz, for example? LOVE the Lombard Slides :D

Team Goofy: This project probably had more detail than Mickey's presentation, but I feel like the actual resort proposed was more of a mixed bag. When you do something as broad of a theme as "European" you're kind of opening yourself up to the thing looking like a hodgepodge of different styles of architecture smashed together, and honestly that's kind of what it feels like. You have really good ideas like all the gardens and the ability to ride bikes through the resort, but I didn't feel there was much of a flow from country to country. Not to mention the general idea reminds me of World Showcase a bit too much for my liking. Still a very solid effort regardless!
The architectural styles of Scandinavia and the ones used in France are very similar which is why they are adjacent to one another. I wish I could've completed the map, because dividing the resort is a small bay like area that crosses over in the Mediterranean so that the architectural styles do not clash with one another.

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Team Mickey Critiques -
A moderate is a good idea for that area of the resort. However, you found a perfect fit in a San Francisco theme, imo. The architectural style is almost predesigned for the setup. Meanwhile, a lot of everything else was very hotel cookie cutter, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I did like your several unique offerings, like the Lombard slides and the Big Hero 6 features. Overall, your project was a well thought out fit.

Last edited:

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Team Goofy Critiques -
Again, good choice with a new moderate near the Magic Kingdom. Though I do fear a vast "European" theme would be too broad for a moderate, I liked the design flourishes you all went with. As a novice French student, I love your area based on the south of that country. However, perhaps it is too specific among a set of wings named after regions and not specific countries (Scandinavia, Mediterranean). I'm also of Scandinavian heritage, so that area seemed very familiar to me, and my family would gravitate towards this resort. The Mediterranean area seemed nice. I love the idea of a Seven Seas extension, as I have expressed previously, so kudos there. Overall, a neat resort for sentimental families, but one seemingly too big for its own shoes.

Vipraa

Apologies from me. I'm in the middle of moving and haven't had Internet for A few days. Hopefully I'll have internet in a few hours so I can do a proper review.

Vipraa

Short reviews again i'm sorry

Mickey
Good ideas here with the San Francisco theme. You can really go a lot of different ways with this. It strikes me as being similar to French Quarter. The Pool area and the BH6 rooms are definitely the highlights here. Unfortunately like JDM said is seems like the rest of the resort is pretty cookie cutter and doesn't stand out much. Good job.

Goofy
Like the others said the theme is very broad but for a moderate resort is is still workable. There is a lot of variety here and a lot that sets this resort apart from the others at WDW. I think the theme could still use some refining and work but this is a great start to the resort. I dont know how realistic is is to expand seven seas lagoon while it is a great idea. Great Job.

Vipraa

Challenge 11: It All Starts With The Story

We are down to the last challenge before the Finale here and this is one we have never done before. This week our two teams will have to create a video storyboard ride through of an attraction that you have worked on this year. It can be any attraction from any competition this year but you must have had a hand in its creation and it must be from this year. You have lots of freedom on this one so again get creative. Their is no time limit or minimum for the video.

The winning team of this challenge will proceed onto the Finale and compete to be the new Sorcerer's Apprentice so good luck. This is the last challenge that vacation days may be used.

storyboard.jpg

This week project managers are
Team Goofy: @DSquared
Team Mickey: @tcool

This week, as usual, @Vipraa and @TheOriginalTiki will be acting as advisers, like Donald Trump's children and associates on the show.

Scoring Card for Challenge 11
Creativity - 15 pts
Detail - 15 pts
Realism - 5 pts
Presentation - 10 pts
Group Work - 5 pts

Please provide no more than 15 photos, in order to give a good sense of your land and its place . You may communicate amongst your teams in a PM I will create and watch over. Ask me any questions there. Due date is Saturday September 26th at 8pm EST. After you post your ideas please do not get into personal conflicts with the other team about concepts, or actions of punishment will take place. Good Luck! :)

RMichael21

Challenge 11: It All Starts With The Story

We are down to the last challenge before the Finale here and this is one we have never done before. This week our two teams will have to create a video storyboard ride through of an attraction that you have worked on this year. It can be any attraction from any competition this year but you must have had a hand in its creation and it must be from this year. You have lots of freedom on this one so again get creative. Their is no time limit or minimum for the video.

The winning team of this challenge will proceed onto the Finale and compete to be the new Sorcerer's Apprentice so good luck. This is the last challenge that vacation days may be used.

This week project managers are
Team Goofy: @DSquared
Team Mickey: @tcool

This week, as usual, @Vipraa and @TheOriginalTiki will be acting as advisers, like Donald Trump's children and associates on the show.

Scoring Card for Challenge 11
Creativity - 15 pts
Detail - 15 pts
Realism - 5 pts
Presentation - 10 pts
Group Work - 5 pts

Please provide no more than 15 photos, in order to give a good sense of your land and its place . You may communicate amongst your teams in a PM I will create and watch over. Ask me any questions there. Due date is Saturday September 26th at 8pm EST. After you post your ideas please do not get into personal conflicts with the other team about concepts, or actions of punishment will take place. Good Luck! :)
Final Four! Let's do this! :D;) Good luck to @DSquared and @Sam4D23

tcool

Team Mickey Presents
Challenge 11 -
It All Starts With A Story

In the first challenge of the Sorcerer's Apprentice we were all tasked with creating a new land for Disney's Hollywood Studios. Here at Team Mickey it was felt that the Jim Henson company for a land would be our best fit. With the inclusion of a Sesame Street area, and of course a Muppets area. In said area what wouldn't be more fun that what if the Muppets built their own ride, and you get to visit opening day, but find out that it's well missing! Join Kermit and the gang on the quest for The Great Muppet Ride!

Click Here to see the Original Post

Storyboard -

Thank you for revisiting The Great Muppet Ride! Brought to you by the original members of Team Mickey; @Zweiland , @RMichael21 , @Bucfan87 ,and @JokersWild. Also brought to you by the newest member of Team Mickey; @tcool

3766064_orig.png

See ya real soon!​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom