The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Season 3

RMichael21

TEAM MICKEY PRESENTS...

JURASSIC WORLD

For decades over and over, prehistoric beasts have made us question and wonder. They have made us be curious and intrigued. It seems that our society has a peculiar fascination with dinosaurs and other creatures that walked the earth millions of years ago. When the original "Jurassic Park" opened in theaters in 1993, it captivated audiences for it's entire 127 minute run time and for decades after.

After more than 20 years, Jurassic World premiered to the world and completely shattered all predictions. It has jumped to the third highest grossing feature film of all time, only after Avatar and Titanic. For this reason, it's only suitable that Jurassic World deserves it's own themed land at a theme park.

When Universal's Islands of Adventure opens in 1999, it opened with themed areas dedicated to widely accepted pieces of literature. From Marvel comics to Dr. Seuss' children's books, this park celebrates classic and modern ideas alike. "Jurassic Park" was immediately one of the most popular areas of the park, being a smash hit with guests with it's Jurassic Park River Adventure and Camp Jurassic. Unfortunately, Jurassic Park hasn't received many updates since then. So, here at Team Mickey, we have decided to completely overhaul Jurassic Park into...

JURASSIC WORLD
(Click Above to Visit the Official Jurassic World Site)

Last edited:

TheOriginalTiki

I'm in the library right now so I'll post my feedback for Goofy now and feedback for Mickey a bit later!

I love most of what Team Goofy did. The website was very professional looking and well organized. All the maps for the most part look and function great. Sattler trail is an epic win for me because I love the character and feel she's very under appreciated :) I'm a bit mixed on Jurassic Encounter. Some elements of it are certainly exciting, but I'm not entirely keen on having guests in back having to fire rifles. I feel like that would get in the way of the experience more than enhance it. Brilliant move to add the mountain range, and an inspired choice making the mountains the new finale for the River Adventure. All in a very impressive submission!

Side note: I'd like to take the time to formally address a small issue I've been seeing on Team Goofy's end when it comes to brainstorming. @spacemt354...Don't get me wrong, you're doing a hell of a good job in terms of the content you're coming up and how much you contribute, but I noticed a bit in the brainstorming this particular round I think you maybe might have taken charge a bit too much as it seemed you did a lion's share of the work here. I understand that JP is a passion project for you, but division of labor is very important in real life Imagineering and should also be taken into consideration here as well. Loved your video by the way. Your passion for the franchise definitely shows! :D

spacemt354

Chili's
I'm in the library right now so I'll post my feedback for Goofy now and feedback for Mickey a bit later!

I love most of what Team Goofy did. The website was very professional looking and well organized. All the maps for the most part look and function great. Sattler trail is an epic win for me because I love the character and feel she's very under appreciated :) I'm a bit mixed on Jurassic Encounter. Some elements of it are certainly exciting, but I'm not entirely keen on having guests in back having to fire rifles. I feel like that would get in the way of the experience more than enhance it. Brilliant move to add the mountain range, and an inspired choice making the mountains the new finale for the River Adventure. All in a very impressive submission!

Side note: I'd like to take the time to formally address a small issue I've been seeing on Team Goofy's end when it comes to brainstorming. @spacemt354...Don't get me wrong, you're doing a hell of a good job in terms of the content you're coming up and how much you contribute, but I noticed a bit in the brainstorming this particular round I think you maybe might have taken charge a bit too much as it seemed you did a lion's share of the work here. I understand that JP is a passion project for you, but division of labor is very important in real life Imagineering and should also be taken into consideration here as well. Loved your video by the way. Your passion for the franchise definitely shows! :D
Well thank you very much Tiki!

I'd very much prefer it to be more dispersed, but especially with last round I felt guilty that I contributed to the loss because I was limited to my phone - I wanted to make sure I did all that I could for the team. And with JP being one of my favorite franchises of all time, it's right up my alley.

It just kinda ended up that way because others were busy this time around, sometimes would go long spans without chatter, and I didn't want to sit by and let stuff drag on. I wanted to make sure that what happened in Challenge 7 never happened again.

I also already told this to my team but now that I'm in school, I'm not going to be able to do this much for a future project on my own. I'm going to need them, as any team does. We win as a team, we lose as a team. In fact I treated this project like my last in the comp because I don't know how much free time I'll have going forward, and if there ever comes a time where I'm not able to contribute, I'll tap myself out for the sake of my teammates. I care more about the quality of projects than I do sneaking by so I can advance in a comp.

In fact it was a lot of the projects in SA Season 2 that inspired me to think big, to do different things, and try to change up the presentation style to make things more engaging for the readers.

But thanks again for the kind words I really appreciate it. I would hope it's not an issue going forward.

TheOriginalTiki

I'm tying this as I get ready for school so I'm not going to have time to go into as much detail. Team Mickey's proposal was also very impressive. While the website wasn't quiet as flashy as Goofy's it definitely got the job done and had an elequent design nonetheless. I think Goofy's big strength was the addition of the mountain range even if some of the new attractions were questionable. The new attractions here were great. I absolutely NEED a "Feeding Time" show in my life. Overall this is going to be an incredibly close call because both teams submitted excellent projects with different strengths and weaknesses!

Vipraa

Critiques

Team Goofy
Fantastic website here guys. I like the idea of the mountain range as it will hide the show building for river adventure very well and acts as a good transition between the lands around it. I like the budget but I think some of it might be underestimated. Im a little iffy on Jurassic Encounter like Tiki. The gunner positions are the main point of concern here with shooting up animals in a major theme park. as well as having different jobs for everyone. What if they all want to be a gunner? Also it seems like it would hit the same problems of Mission space where it tells you to do something and it doesn't matter if you do it or not. All in all a very impressive submission.

Team Mickey
Good website here as well. Not as flashy as Goofy’s but its a cleaner design. The interactive map is very nice as well. I like the variety of attractions your guys provided here but I don’t really agree with keeping Pteranodon Flyers as it is one of the worst and most excluding attractions i have seen in a major theme park but thats just me. Like tiki i love the idea and execution of Feeding time which is very unique. I wish you would have implemented the I-rex better in River Adventure. It just seems like its all about the raptors and then boom I-rex with no connection and then boom its over very quickly. All together it was a great submission.

TheOriginalTiki

Critiques

Team Goofy
Fantastic website here guys. I like the idea of the mountain range as it will hide the show building for river adventure very well and acts as a good transition between the lands around it. I like the budget but I think some of it might be underestimated. Im a little iffy on Jurassic Encounter like Tiki. The gunner positions are the main point of concern here with shooting up animals in a major theme park. as well as having different jobs for everyone. What if they all want to be a gunner? Also it seems like it would hit the same problems of Mission space where it tells you to do something and it doesn't matter if you do it or not. All in all a very impressive submission.

Team Mickey
Good website here as well. Not as flashy as Goofy’s but its a cleaner design. The interactive map is very nice as well. I like the variety of attractions your guys provided here but I don’t really agree with keeping Pteranodon Flyers as it is one of the worst and most excluding attractions i have seen in a major theme park but thats just me. Like tiki i love the idea and execution of Feeding time which is very unique. I wish you would have implemented the I-rex better in River Adventure. It just seems like its all about the raptors and then boom I-rex with no connection and then boom its over very quickly. All together it was a great submission.

Finally someone who agrees with me about Pteranodon Flyers being horribly executed! @englanddg :p

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'll fully admit I've never been on them in person, but you're literally the only person I've seen who insists they're anything but bad. More power to ya, haha! ;)
You have to have a kid with you under a certain height...my kid will be too tall next trip...so unless I have another one, or we take her little sister, neither of us will be riding it again anytime soon.

TheOriginalTiki

You have to have a kid with you under a certain height...my kid will be too tall next trip...so unless I have another one, or we take her little sister, neither of us will be riding it again anytime soon.

Ahh, I didn't even know there was a height restriction. All I know is that it has insane capacity issues. Yea with the idea of small children in mind I can definitely see it being a hit with that demographic especially because there's not a ton in that park outside of Seuss Landing that's very accessible to that crowd. I can certainly remember being a kid and passing up all the "big rides" to go on smaller flat rides over and over again. Good times! :)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Ahh, I didn't even know there was a height restriction. All I know is that it has insane capacity issues. Yea with the idea of small children in mind I can definitely see it being a hit with that demographic especially because there's not a ton in that park outside of Seuss Landing that's very accessible to that crowd. I can certainly remember being a kid and passing up all the "big rides" to go on smaller flat rides over and over again. Good times! :)
It's one of the few rides I can think of (only one off the top of my head) that has a minimum and maximum height requirement.

To ride, you need to be at least 36 inches (ok, I may have my numbers wrong, I'm not going to bother looking them up, so if wrong, the concept is still right), and with someone who is over 55 inches, and you have to have two riders (no single riders). Two riders over 55 inches are not allowed together. They must each have someone with them who is between 36 inches and 55 inches to ride.

So, that's why you'll generally see pictures of a parent and a child going on it together. However, a taller sibling could go with a shorter sibling. But, two parents (or a parent / child combo that are both over 55 inches) cannot ride at all.

The ride itself isn't very fast (though it's faster and more intense than it appears, it's certainly more intense than any spinner or flat ride at WDW or Uni), but due to the fact you are 40+ feet in the air, it is quite thrilling.

Even during peak times (like when I went this year) the wait is never very long. We waited about 10 minutes last trip, and in 2012, I think we waited 15 or so. It wasn't long, I remember that. Also the queue is well done. It's a shaded jungle walk with lots of plants and hidden speakers (you can "hear" dinosaurs scurrying through the distant bushes) as well as JP stuff to look at. It's a very convincing effect as wind makes the leafy plants move on their own randomly, combined with the "dino" sounds, and it isn't hard to imagine there really are little dinos scurrying around out there.

It's a nice queue. Not Harry Potter, but much better than say the Seuss Carousel.

Vipraa

Challenge 8 Results

This was one of the closest challenges yet and there was only one point in it but.....

The Winner is: Team Mickey
The Loser is: Team Goofy

Score Sheet C8.jpg

@DSquared Who will you be taking to the boardroom?

Vipraa

Challenge 9: New Land to Impress Hong Kong

Only 3 challenges remain in this Season of Sorcerers Apprentice and the competition is still fierce. This week we a traveling to Hong Kong Disneyland. In order to compete with the new Shanghai Disney Resort, Hong Kong Disneyland need to add an all new immersive land. This new land must compete with the all new immersive environments at Shanghai Disneyland. Keep in mind that Hong Kong likes to have exclusivity deals for a number of years. The new land must have at least one signature ride as well as 1 supporting attractions (ride, show or streetmosphere) and one restaurant. A map and 1 minute promotional video are required as well. Good Luck.

HKDL.jpg

This week project managers are
Team Goofy: @JokersWild
Team Mickey: @tcool

This week, as usual, @Vipraa and @TheOriginalTiki will be acting as advisers, like Donald Trump's children and associates on the show.

Scoring Card for Challenge 9

Creativity - 15 pts
Detail - 15 pts
Realism - 10 pts
Presentation - 5 pts
Group Work - 5 pts

Please provide at least 3 photos and no more than 15, in order to give a good sense of your land and its place at Hong Kong Disneyland. You may communicate amongst your teams in a PM I will create and watch over. Ask me any questions there. Due date is Tuesday September 8th at 8pm EST. After you post your ideas please do not get into personal conflicts with the other team about concepts, or actions of punishment will take place. Good Luck! :)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom