The Sorcerer's Apprentice Season 2: International Edition

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Challenge 6 Tip - Think of this challenge like a Fantasyland challenge at Disneyland. There, there happen to be solid D-ticket dark rides interspersed with a C-ticket boat ride and some carnival-esque spinners. Fantasyland, even with this odd line-up, succeeds in entertaining due to it's broad array of attraction options.

Voxel

President of Progress City
Challenge 6
Some New Toys

Brought to you by Team Sea:
test.jpg

Since the original Disneyland opened Pirates of the Caribbean in 1967, pirates have played a key part in every Disney Park around the world, whether it's variants of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride or Jack Sparrow running around the park. Disneyland Hong Kong however lacks this peg-legged traditions, until now. So raise your black flag and join us at:
BC.jpg

Buccaneer Cove is a brand new pirate themed mini-land broken down into three sections.

Santiago de la Vega
SpanishTown.jpg

A colorful Spanish town found in the southern section of the land. Home to the Spanish Caribbean Armada and the regions Governor. Guest will find plenty of tunnels, hidden and visible, throughout this section as they take in the local's lifestyle.

Castillo de Santiago
Fort.jpg

Found just north of the Santiago de la Vega, this fort stands strongly against the local pirates, protecting herself and her people. But be careful inside, legends tell of a Captain and his ship, who haunt the halls of Castillo de Santiago searching for revenge.

Crossbones Cay
PirateTown.jpg

Across the bay, this small, thriving pirate community welcomes guest who wish to sail the seven seas whether they are man or woman. Become a pirate as you live among the locals and learn the legends of those who came before you.

So grab your gear and step ashore:
http://www.teamsea-buccaneer.com/

Zweiland

CHALLENGE 6: SOME NEW TOYS
Team Land's Submission

5576557_orig.jpg

Challenge 6: Some New Toys
Welcome to Hong Kong Disneyland! This week, contestants are challenged to replace the cheaply done Toy Story Land in the Chinese park. You are required to include multiple experiences, each attractive and fun, acting in a similar fashion as the current Toy Story line-up. The focus shouldn't be on one huge E-ticket, but on these separate D-tickets/C-tickets. You should also include a few merchandising options and food carts/counter service food locations (like Cheshire Cafe). Keep in mind the location of the land and make sure you integrate your theme well!

TSL_Environment-1_0_Original.jpg

This weeks Project Manager is;

Land
@@Zweiland

@@tcool is the holder of the immunity idol this week, as he was the winning Project Manager in Challenge 5.

This week, as usual, @@BryceM will be acting as an adviser along with@@Matt7187, like Trump's children and associates on the show.

Please provide at least 5 photos, but at most 15, in order to display your new land. You guys may communicate amongst your teams in this PM. I will watch over. Ask me any questions here. Due date is to be determined below. After you post your ideas please do not get into personal conflicts with the other team about concepts, or actions of punishment will take place.

Good Luck! :)

This week, team Land strived specifically to meet each of the requirements in the challenge:

We made sure that the focus was spread evenly among each of the rides, in a similar fashion to Fantasyland in Disneyland.

We integrated our theme throughout the land, in the rides, restaurant, and atmosphere.

We kept in mind the location of the land, by doing our best to preserve sight lines from other areas.

We included several merchandising options and food carts, as well as one restaurant.

To view our proposal please visit www.winterlandhkdl.weebly.com

Thank you for your consideration.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
RMichael21's Short Critique of Team Sea-

Great Job Team Sea!

The Site- I felt that it seems tacky and sloppy, especially with the black background and white text. At first I found it confusing how there was only one page of text and how the map was at the bottom, there was no additional info. You should have put the area descriptions on the website. I had to keep clicking back and forth to "connect the dots." Also, you should have included a key for the map, I had no idea what red, orange and yellow represented and which skulls were for attraction, restaurants and shops. Also, the orientation of the map was odd, I know you were going for north, south, east and west, but it's like the new WDW maps, sometimes that makes it A LOT harder to read it. Finally, I found it pretty difficult at first to differentiate the paths and the buildings, you should have made the paths a different color.

The Attractions- I thought the balance of attractions was so-so. The POTC attraction was nice, but I feel like you ended at a high point in the other POTC attractions. The RC Racer redo was nice, but it felt a little "off" for some reason. I also found that your main focus was not on the smaller rides, but on the shops and diversions, leading to the attractions being somewhat lackluster.

The Shops- I felt that both shops were a little under-themed. That's all.

The Restaurants- YUM!!!! (Sorry, I don't have anymore time to critique :D)...
Nice review, but...you may want to move it to the discussion thread.

Great points!

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Challenge 6 - Critiques

land.jpg

Team Land
- Project Manager @Zweiland, @IDInstitute and @RMichael21
CHALLENGE 6: SOME NEW TOYS
Team Land's Submission

5576557_orig.jpg

This week, team Land strived specifically to meet each of the requirements in the challenge:

We made sure that the focus was spread evenly among each of the rides, in a similar fashion to Fantasyland in Disneyland.

We integrated our theme throughout the land, in the rides, restaurant, and atmosphere.

We kept in mind the location of the land, by doing our best to preserve sight lines from other areas.

We included several merchandising options and food carts, as well as one restaurant.

To view our proposal please visit www.winterlandhkdl.weebly.com

Thank you for your consideration.
Challenge 6
Some New Toys

View attachment 64438

Since the original Disneyland opened Pirates of the Caribbean in 1967, pirates have played a key part in every Disney Park around the world, whether it's variants of the Pirates of the Caribbean ride or Jack Sparrow running around the park. Disneyland Hong Kong however lacks this peg-legged traditions, until now. So raise your black flag and join us at:
View attachment 64437

Buccaneer Cove is a brand new pirate themed mini-land broken down into three sections.

Santiago de la Vega
View attachment 64440

A colorful Spanish town found in the southern section of the land. Home to the Spanish Caribbean Armada and the regions Governor. Guest will find plenty of tunnels, hidden and visible, throughout this section as they take in the local's lifestyle.

Castillo de Santiago
View attachment 64441

Found just north of the Santiago de la Vega, this fort stands strongly against the local pirates, protecting herself and her people. But be careful inside, legends tell of a Captain and his ship, who haunt the halls of Castillo de Santiago searching for revenge.

Crossbones Cay
View attachment 64439
Across the bay, this small, thriving pirate community welcomes guest who wish to sail the seven seas whether they are man or woman. Become a pirate as you live among the locals and learn the legends of those who came before you.

Challenge 6
Some New Toys

View attachment 64438

View attachment 64437

Santiago de la Vega
View attachment 64440

Castillo de Santiago
View attachment 64441

Crossbones Cay
View attachment 64439

The concept of a snow-y land is a nice one. However, there are some major issues with this. Disney Imagineering originally planned on building a polar land in the plot occupied by Toy Story Land, but Hong Kong officials blocked the project, since Ocean Park Hong Kong was already grand-opening a similarly themed area. Though, I do like your use of the theme and integration of the attractions. I really appreciate the way you went about utilizing carnival rides in an awesome way that doesn't break the theme. Some could have used a little more story as well. I should also mention I dislike the name "Winterland", as it isn't really/necessarily Winter in your land, as it is always snow-y in the depicted areas. "Winter" makes you expect Winter...the holidays, Frozen and all. Overall, though, very good job!

14798000900_79f4d78a27_o.png

Team Sea - Project Manager @Voxel, @MonorailRed, @tcool, @englanddg and @JokersWild
Challenge 6
Some New Toys

View attachment 64438

View attachment 64437

Santiago de la Vega
View attachment 64440

Castillo de Santiago
View attachment 64441

Crossbones Cay
View attachment 64439

Love what you did here. The concept of taking the environments from a single ride (Pirates of the Caribbean), and expanding them was a magnificent one, and you did well adapting them. Just seeing the art for Santiago de la Vega (which, along with all the art, was great) instantly recalled the raiding of the Spanish town scene in the source ride. Your three rides fit well together, and none of them was really a full fledged E-ticket. However, I wish you had included some more "tacky-type" rides and made them amazing. I also thoroughly enjoyed your other experiences (shows, streetmosphere, etc.) and restaurants, but I did make a point that all food should be counter service. Overall, though, I'm very happy with your work this week.

Last edited:

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Challenge 7: Shanghai Hospitality
This time around, contestants are obligated to design a phase 2 hotel for Shanghai Disney Resort. With only 24 hours, you must create the first new Shanghai Disney hotel. You have 20 sentences (no run-ons) or less and only 3 pictures to put your best on display. You should include a location and a map, as well as the various amenities at your resort. You should also determine the level of your resort, meaning either deluxe, moderate, or value.

sdlhotelmodel.jpg

This weeks Project Managers are;

Land
@RMichael21
Sea
@englanddg

@Voxel is the holder of the immunity idol this week, as he was the winning Project Manager in Challenge 6.

This week, as usual, @BryceM will be acting as an adviser along with @Matt7187, like Trump's children and associates on the show.

Please provide at most 3 photos, in order to display your new resort. You guys may communicate amongst your teams in a PM I will create and watch over. Ask me any questions there. Due date is Thursday, September 4th, at 6:30 PM EST. After you post your ideas please do not get into personal conflicts with the other team about concepts, or actions of punishment will take place.

Oh, by the way, there's one more thing. There are no eliminations this challenge. The winning team will receive 5 Vacation Days; 1 extra Vacation Day for each teammate and the rest in an overall team "account".

Last edited:

Voxel

President of Progress City
Challenge 7: Shanghai Hospitality
This time around, contestants are obligated to design a phase 2 hotel for Shanghai Disney Resort. With only 24 hours, you must create the first new Shanghai Disney hotel. You have 20 sentences (no run-ons) or less and only 3 pictures to put your best on display. You should include a location and a map, as well as the various amenities at your resort. You should also determine the level of your resort, meaning either deluxe, moderate, or value.

sdlhotelmodel.jpg

This weeks Project Managers are;

Land
@RMichael21
Sea
@englanddg

@Voxel is the holder of the immunity idol this week, as he was the winning Project Manager in Challenge 6.

This week, as usual, @BryceM will be acting as an adviser along with @Matt7187, like Trump's children and associates on the show.

Please provide at most 3 photos, in order to display your new resort. You guys may communicate amongst your teams in a PM I will create and watch over. Ask me any questions there. Due date is Thursday, September 4th, at 4 PM EST. After you post your ideas please do not get into personal conflicts with the other team about concepts, or actions of punishment will take place.

Oh, by the way, there's one more thing. There are no eliminations this challenge. The winning team will receive 5 Vacation Days; 1 extra Vacation Day for each teammate and the rest in an overall team "account".

Question! because of working hour of both Englanddg and myself (among possible school hours) could we move the due Time back to 9Pm. I know this is a 24 hour deal, but this would work better for everyone's schedule.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom