The Sorcerer's Apprentice - Season 1

Sam Magic

SAM4D23 Review:

TEAM MAGIC: :jawdrop: This was absolutely jaw dropping work! I am imensly impressed to see what Monorail Red has brought to this team! The theme, the concept art, the ideas, and the attention to information had been exceptionally breathtaking. My only complaint I have this week were the following: 1. The facade and 2. The new Team Magic logo.
1. While the interior designs and garden ideas were great I can't help but feel that a more neighborhood feel should have been evoked; whether this was the limited amount of visual preference or the descriptions I feel it's surroundings were missing something.

2. As a former Team Magic member I am personally ofended by the new Team Magic logo, the one WED made was beautiful and unique; this one looks too much like Team Fantasy's which I strongly feel takes out this teams originality and beauty. I do understand that MonorailRed is from Team Fantasy, but I do not feel a departure from the original logo was needed.

TEAM FANTASY: A little party never killed nobody! And certainly this restaurant makes me want to party! From the menu to the interior! This proposal was also beautifully done, I feel it truly captured the 1920's vibe and offered a truly unique experience. The facade could have been different maybe taking a more 'Gatsby' approach so it would have fit within the surroundings a bit more. Yet overall this was a very well thought out project and once again proved what this team is capable of...BUT Where is Edison? The project gave a clue to incorporate Edison Square into the concept in some way, there is no Edison in the project. I feel that is what brings this proposal down, unlike Team Magic who truly captured the Edison vibe mixed with the new design and feel of Disney Springs this proposal is more of a 1920's resturant fit for Hollywood or Sunset Blvd. in MGM. It's disappointing to see a team who nearly every challenge has gone above and beyond to take such a fatal mis-step in the Charleston.

SAMD23 WINNER: TEAM MAGIC: Despite my complaints this proposal was the most accurate, detailed, and fitting for Disney Springs and this challenge. Neighbors is a perfect restaurant for what I feel a perfect shopping district; well done Team Magic and good luck to both teams in Jdm's final report.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
SAM4D23 Review:

TEAM MAGIC: :jawdrop: This was absolutely jaw dropping work! I am imensly impressed to see what Monorail Red has brought to this team! The theme, the concept art, the ideas, and the attention to information had been exceptionally breathtaking. My only complaint I have this week were the following: 1. The facade and 2. The new Team Magic logo.
1. While the interior designs and garden ideas were great I can't help but feel that a more neighborhood feel should have been evoked; whether this was the limited amount of visual preference or the descriptions I feel it's surroundings were missing something.

2. As a former Team Magic member I am personally ofended by the new Team Magic logo, the one WED made was beautiful and unique; this one looks too much like Team Fantasy's which I strongly feel takes out this teams originality and beauty. I do understand that MonorailRed is from Team Fantasy, but I do not feel a departure from the original logo was needed.

TEAM FANTASY: A little party never killed nobody! And certainly this restaurant makes me want to party! From the menu to the interior! This proposal was also beautifully done, I feel it truly captured the 1920's vibe and offered a truly unique experience. The facade could have been different maybe taking a more 'Gatsby' approach so it would have fit within the surroundings a bit more. Yet overall this was a very well thought out project and once again proved what this team is capable of...BUT Where is Edison? The project gave a clue to incorporate Edison Square into the concept in some way, there is no Edison in the project. I feel that is what brings this proposal down, unlike Team Magic who truly captured the Edison vibe mixed with the new design and feel of Disney Springs this proposal is more of a 1920's resturant fit for Hollywood or Sunset Blvd. in MGM. It's disappointing to see a team who nearly every challenge has gone above and beyond to take such a fatal mis-step in the Charleston.

SAMD23 WINNER: TEAM MAGIC: Despite my complaints this proposal was the most accurate, detailed, and fitting for Disney Springs and this challenge. Neighbors is a perfect restaurant for what I feel a perfect shopping district; well done Team Magic and good luck to both teams in Jdm's final report.
Well written analysis. Always nice to hear your opinions (and your jokes, loved the "mis-step in the Charleston" quip!...I literally laughed out loud).

I will say, if I may, the clue was Edison Square, not just Edison himself. There were other clues (the elevated rail, industrial district, lighting) in the task description.

It reminded us of...

edisonsquare_map.jpg

The turn of the century metropolitan nature of townhomes (compared to Main St. USA) combined with the "run down" industrial image conveyed in the rest of the description of the challenge, we thought lended itself to the concept.

I quote from the challenge description:

"This realm of the kingdom, with the addition of an "elevated railway track" and lots of flickering lights, might be considered the industrial village section of the town."

This is certainly not where a summer home for a famous inventor would have been located. So, while we may have mis-judged...we didn't feel it was just about Edison himself.

Of course, this takes nothing away from the stellar concept and presentation Team Magic put forth, and if they win, it's well deserved (obviously!).

But, as there will be no boardroom for this, it's winner take all, as our team leader, I wanted to explain our concept and why we went the way we did conceptually in greater detail.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Zweiland

Thank you for the constructive criticism. Before JDM posts the final scores, I would like to help @englanddg make our case.

In defense of Team Fantasy, we used Edison Square not as direct inspiration but as a "starting point". I think the overall "aura" of our submission does invokes some elements of the original idea for Edison Square in Disneyland.

Also, in the original post it says "perhaps you could decode this clue to find some inspiration for the eatery". The key word being "perhaps". What I infer from this is that @jdmdisney99 was trying to guide us toward a good solution, but that he would think it was fine if we came up with another good one ourselves. I do think we came up with a solution that very well fits the "industrial" theme, even though we did not actually mention Edison.

LittleGiants16

I don't have time to write much (college sucks for those of you yet to get here (this is also why I don't compete)) but I will say a few things.

1. Magic - well done guys. I like how you tied in Edison and made a Florida connection to the man. My only fear is that you maybe had too much going on. Five rooms with five different menus? That seems like somewhat of a logistical nightmare to me but whatever. Anyhow good proposal, good concept art, and all in all well done this week.

2. Fantasy - I liked how much emphasis you placed on the menu. Shows that one of you put a lot of thought into what exactly this restaurant would serve. I also like the idea to have a cabaret. It may just be me but I find dinner shows to be a blast when they're done well. I'll provide this one critique in that I too missed the connection to Edison but I will cede you your interpretation. Another good submission from your team.

3. Great job this season everyone. I know who I think should win and that will remain between Sam, JDM, and myself (I'm not quite as forthright as Sam). To the losing team it really has been great being able to watch you grow as imagineers over the course of the season. Thanks for playing. To the winners, congrats but don't rest on your laurels. You have one more challenge before you can truly be done with this competition and I look forward to seeing what you churn out in your last hurrah.

Alright, enough from me. I must return to my history homework. Good luck everyone and I will see you all tomorrow.

Sam Magic

Thank you for the constructive criticism. Before JDM posts the final scores, I would like to help @englanddg make our case.

In defense of Team Fantasy, we used Edison Square not as direct inspiration but as a "starting point". I think the overall "aura" of our submission does invokes some elements of the original idea for Edison Square in Disneyland.

Also, in the original post it says "perhaps you could decode this clue to find some inspiration for the eatery". The key word being "perhaps". What I infer from this is that @jdmdisney99 was trying to guide us toward a good solution, but that he would think it was fine if we came up with another good one ourselves. I do think we came up with a solution that very well fits the "industrial" theme, even though we did not actually mention Edison.
Well said; both of you. Maybe if the facade had a less ally theater design it would really fit. Overall though this proposal was extremely well done and if your team does not mind I would love to use it as an honorary submission to my Disney Springs plan. Good luck with Jdm and if you loose do not feel bad; after ALL your submissions your team truly shinned some "green" light on what any team (through hard work and cooperation) can achieve. Side note green light is not referring to envy Old Sports ;)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
If it's ok with everyone, I'm going to clean up some formatting and typos in our submission post?

I won't change any content (we've all read it by now anyhow), but I'm a touch OCD and it's driving me batty!

I'll wait until @jdmdisney99 , @Sam4D23 or @LittleGiants16 says it's ok...

MonorailRed

Applebees
SAM4D23 Review:

I apologize for the Team Magic Logo myself since I created the video. Honestly, I forgot there was a logo for Team Magic. I should have looked more into it. But on the other hand, at the first part of the video... It wasn't meant to be a new logo.... It was just Team Magic's name in fancy Magic Kingdom style lettering... on the New Sorcerer's Apprentice logo for the ICS. I'm sorry it was interpreted as a new logo and I should have been more careful...

Sam Magic

I apologize for the Team Magic Logo myself since I created the video. Honestly, I forgot there was a logo for Team Magic. I should have looked more into it. But on the other hand, at the first part of the video... It wasn't meant to be a new logo.... It was just Team Magic's name in fancy Magic Kingdom style lettering... on the New Sorcerer's Apprentice logo for the ICS. I'm sorry it was interpreted as a new logo and I should have been more careful...
It's fine, It did not play a huge factor in my personal decision.

MA Screamin'

No matter what the outcome is, I like to congratulate both teams on a wonderful season. I saw some incredible concepts from my team and Team Fantasy, and you should all be proud of your work. I don't know about JDM, but this would be a hard decision for me personally, both teams have put up quite a fight. But whatever happens, it's been a pleasure, and I can't wait for next season. :) Good luck to both teams, and may the best Imagineers win!

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Critiques
Magic
Great job grinding it our this week! Personally, I like the way you went [with Edison]. The new logo was a good spin on what you already knew would work from Team Fantasy. I also thought it was the right choice to go with a video to easily, but thoroughly describe your new eatery and bring us into it. I also love the way you connected two industrial inventors with a Floridian town, which is the real theme of Disney Springs. However, I agree that the exterior could have been better. Simply saying that it would be like the Edison winter home just didn't click for me and, like Sam, left a hole for me. Also, this exterior, as you described it and with your picture example, might not fit in with the industrial area, though I can picture it as the weird house on the corner shoehorned in by the obsessed inventor. Overall, an absolutely magical job this challenge!
Fantasy
Awesome guys! You didn't take the Edison Square tip and run with it like Magic, but you didn't have to. I included that word "perhaps" because I was slightly hoping one team wouldn't just use Edison. The way you hid your speakeasy with a hidden wall in the back of the gift shop was a perfect idea. However, this might create guest congestion and logistical problems. Some guests may become confused when looking for the restaurant and eventually the entrance would be forced to receive a sign, thus ruining the effect. The menu was absolutely superb and I applaud you guys for going through that whole process to create a real menu. Additionally, I enjoyed the idea of live entertainment in this jazzy, '20s themed area. This week your proposal was absolutely fantastic!

jdmdisney99

Original Poster
Both of you have been great, hard-working teams, and this is once again an extremely aggravating decision to make. Based on the advisers and my own discussions, and our views of your wonderful concepts this week, we have reached a conclusion. The team moving on and competing against each other in the finals is . . . . . .
TEAM MAGIC
(highlight above)
Great job to both teams! Congratulations on making it this far! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom