The single rider line

No Name

Original Poster
People misusing the single rider line is one of my biggest pet peeves. The single rider line is only for people who intend to ride alone. It's a great idea for filling up the empty seats caused by odd parties, but some people abuse and/or can't understand it and it drives me nuts.

Here's a good article by Robert Niles that puts my anger into words: http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201601/4926/

FigmentPigments

I've seen this happen more often than not. Although there are some attractions I don't get. I was in the single rider line for Rock n Roller coaster behind a group of girls who knew they were in the single rider line and were planning to ride together anyway. The cast member seemed to know what they had planned and purposefully split them up. Way to go cast members! :joyfull: Well after the show in the studio room, we exited out to wait in the garage area and I saw the girls waiting for their friends before getting on the ride. So after all that, I was behind the same group of girls I started behind and they manged to bypass the 1 hour standby line.:rolleyes: I know in the grand scheme of things, this isn't the end all, but come on.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I've never seen this happen in 100+ trips to WDW. I'm not saying it doesn't, but if the Cast Members are doing their job it should never be a problem.

andy773

I saw it happen last April at Radiator Springs Racers in DL; just as the article describes. Mother with child: "Oh please, he can't ride by himself." It actually made me angry when the cast member let them ride together. I'm not the confrontational type but if I were I would have made the cast member let me ride with my niece. If they are going to have a rule: enforce it.

WhatJaneSays

Maybe this is more of a Disneyland problem? I'm in single rider lines constantly at WDW and I think I've only ever seen 2 issues of people misusing the single rider line (both on Test Track).

raven

This often happens. RnR is the worst for this as people enter the Single Rider line all together then duck under the chain into the Standby Line near the boarding area so they can sit together.

The other problem is that I've seen CMs place Single Riders together too. So the problem isn't always the guests!

JasonDeyoung

Ive never personally seen the single lines abused or this stuff happen but I can defiantly see how it could happen. People now days are looking for any way they can to cheat the system

JasonDeyoung

My gf and I got in the single rider line for TT and we knew we'd be separated but they ended up seating is together without asking. Dumb luck, maybe. Guess it's all in the cm mood lol

Goofyernmost

My gf and I got in the single rider line for TT and we knew we'd be separated but they ended up seating is together without asking. Dumb luck, maybe. Guess it's all in the cm mood lol
Probably the less you make it obvious that you are together the better chance you have of being together. If the idea that you may be separated doesn't work for you, then you are definitely in the wrong line.

DManRightHere

Me and my wife always use single rider and we know we're not going to sit beside each other. The attendants tell you where to go. Are we abusing the line? I guess I'll read the article...

EDIT: yeah, I have never witnessed the scenarios described in the article, people refusing to ride without another in their party. I'm sure it happens but they should be sent to the exit by the person calling single riders to the ride vehicles.

I disagree that single rider lines are only for employees and single visiting guests, the park wants single riders to fill additional space on the rides, single rider lines can easily be shut down if the lines get too long, happened a few times at universal while we were there.

Last edited:

Texas84

Yep, I read the article first. Had no idea that was going on but I believe it.

I used to rant about groups in line but later realized they do use them to fill up single seats. No longer have a problem with that.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
Sure I use the line sometimes if I'm in a group, but we don't care about splitting up since we're mature enough to just meet at the exit. At the end of the day it doesn't really make a difference, does it?

DfromATX

We've done the single rider line, but we also ended up with strangers, but like @fox_198 said, we didn't care and we just met at the exit at the end of the ride. It was the only way to get to ride... I believe it was Toy Story, and, it wasn't anywhere near a fast pass. It still had quite a wait if I recall.

StarWarsGirl

The other problem is that I've seen CMs place Single Riders together too. So the problem isn't always the guests!
I don't have a problem with CMs placing two single riders together. I've seen them do it at EE so that they can keep the line moving and don't have to search for a party of two where one might not exist. I also had it happen at RnRC when the CM could not find a party of two to fill a row. What are they supposed to do; run the train with that row empty? Purposely split up single riders just to keep the "You will be separated" rule? I agree that CMs should not purposely try to put single riders together, and I agree that guests in the single rider line shouldn't ask to sit together, but splitting up single riders who are in the same group just to split them up seems a bit needless and silly.

No Name

Original Poster
I've never seen this happen in 100+ trips to WDW. I'm not saying it doesn't, but if the Cast Members are doing their job it should never be a problem.

I can probably count on two hands the number of times I've seen people actually argue it with the worker. It's usually subtle groaning, eye rolls, and occassional comments. Sometimes, people don't care if they're in different rows, but they give the employee a nasty look if they're not in the same vehicle. I get that they don't want someone waiting at the exit for them or whatever, but the single rider line doesn't guarantee anything about when and where you'll get to ride, and people can't grasp that. Big verbal fights are thankfully not frequent (at least from my experience), and I hope it never becomes that way, but any conflict in the single rider line is extremely. Especially at Disney where there is an organized loading system. I can only think of one guest behavior issue that bothers me more, which is people smoking in non-smoking areas.

Amd I'm totally fine with parties going in the single rider line. But as long as they're willing to split up. Me and my family do it all the time and don't even try to act like we aren't together. People just have to understand that they'll be splitting up and potentially waiting for multiple rides after their friend / family member gets on.

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

I don't really concern myself to much with it, but, I am totally bewildered on how the "Single Rider Line" can be anymore self explanatory. Seems like someone would have to be brain dead to not understand what that means.
I take that back... it could mean not married couldn't it?

JasonDeyoung

Probably the less you make it obvious that you are together the better chance you have of being together. If the idea that you may be separated doesn't work for you, then you are definitely in the wrong line.
Yeah no idea. Like I said we knew before hand we'd be separated but then sent us to the same line. Who knows lol

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom