The resturants around the Epcot World showcase

POLY LOVER

Original Poster
My wife and I like to try all of the resturants around the world showcase. We have favorites that have good food quality and a menu that respects the country they represent. However tonight we visited the nine dragons restaurant in china. We haven't been there in awhile so we were in the mood for Chinese and we decided to go there. The first thing I noticed was the place was about 25% full at around 5PM. The next was that the menu had been cut down from the last time we were there. The menu selections were average at best for a place that is trying to give you a taste of china. Now I know some folks just like plan so they have to consider that type of customer. We ordered the nine dragons fried rice, it seemed as though they scooped rice sitting in a hot table and then place some pre cooked chicken, shrimps, and ham on top. It did not appear or taste wok cooked to order. I know in the past it has been much better authentic selections and much better tasting. I had the duck salad, I left 75% of it untouched, the duck was not crispy and the other components were just dry and lacking any flavor. Very very disappointed in China. Have you experienced anything happening like this at the other WS Resturants? The best thing about tonight was the Jeffery Osbourne show at the showcase.

wdwfan4ver

I haven't experienced that at Rose and Crown, and Chefs de France.

I've ready about Negative stuff about Nine dragons though and it was mentioned by Disney food blog guide video as one of the worst Restaurants at WDW. That Disney Food Blog Guide video is a month old.

eliza61nyc

We experienced the same thing at Nine dragons last May. It doesn't really bother me that much, restaurants do this all the time, they will get a new head chef, change the menu, stuff like that. some times it works, some times bombs. I think China is just in the "bomb" phase. lol

I still get good meals at Canada, Italy and France. I keep saying we want to try Japan but haven't gotten around to it yet

Now personally I enjoy negative reviews. this is my vacation, I think the more information I get, the better my chances of having a great experience. If a restaurant has gone down in quality, heck yeah I want to know so I can avoid it. I trust real diners reviews as opposed to the company description. Besides the only way a restaurant is going to change up it's formula if enough folks start saying it's bad.

larandtra

I have found the quality at many of the WS restaurants to be average to bad. On the flip side I found many to be very good or at least consistently a good meal. I think because there is so much turnover in staff as well as the restaurants being so busy most of the year, the quality certainly can suffer. The most consistent Ive found have been R&C, Chefs De France, La Hacienda, Via Napoli and Tutto Italia. Ive felt that San Angel, Le Cellier, Marrakesh, Even being new Spice Road, and Tokyo Dining have all tumbled and tend to be either really good or really bad. I wont go near Biergarten, Any of the ones in China, or Teppanyaki. Norway was always decent but IM not into the princess character meal noise so I avoid it now just because of that, not because of the food.

Amos1784

I have read some rave reviews of people for Nine Dragons, however each time that we have went (a last min dinner with no ADR) we had the same experience, food that was almost inedible. Some of our favorites Via Napoli, Biergarten, Rose and Crown, Teppan Edo, Le Cellier, I have read the same people had terrible experiences, but each time we have walked out very satisfied. This most recent trip we dined at Le Chef's it was always a restaurant that we put off as the menu to me always just came off as not "inspired" or interesting, it lived up to that hype for my husband and I, we enjoyed our meal fine but probably would not return. I find as is with most Disney restaurants it is SO hit or miss with people, emotional attachments to restaurants can make your average meal outstanding.

Weather_Lady

OP, your review is consistent with many I've read.

I agree with those who think that World Showcase restaurants need to up their game, generally. Part of the reason for this is simply that international cuisine is no longer unique to most of us, so in order to be a draw, it needs to be done well. I live in a small, rural community in Upstate NY (one with more cows than people), and yet within a 25-minute drive, there are EXCELLENT Indian, Ethiopian, German, Thai, Chinese, Japanese hibachi/sushi, Mediterranean, Cuban, Mexican, Spanish, French, Italian (including fresh pastas and hand-tossed, wood-fired pizzas), Korean and Vietnamese restaurants. (No Canadian steakhouses like Le Cellier, but we are only an hour's drive from Canada itself!) One of my family's goals in choosing restaurants at Disney is to "go somewhere that offers something that we can't get at home." When our ADR opportunities are few, there is little incentive for me to pay Disney two or three times the cost for international cuisine that I can find (and find "done better") at home any night of the week.

For that reason, when dining in Epcot, we're more likely to choose a restaurant based on a unique setting or experience (the aquarium view at Coral Reef, the characters at Akershus, the live band and incredible theming at Biergarten), which tends to push all the rest of World Showcase off of our "to do" list.

Last edited:

larandtra

I also think as much as the food depends on the day in most WS restaurants, I also know as a fail safe two of my top 5 restaurants on the property reside just a short walk out the International Gateway and I can be at Flying Fish or Yachtsman, not to mention B&C is very consistent and surprisingly Big River and ESPN are pretty good for what they offer. Not a fan of Cape May but others seem to enjoy it ok. I prefer Flying Fish or Boathouse for seafood.

JIMINYCR

Nine Dragons definitely has slipped from our dining to do list. Its menu changes and the quality of foods has gotten to the point that we arent going to bother wasting an ADR on it. Rose and Crown has also started disappointing us but its too early to say goodbye. A lot of the WS dining has slipped in quality and I'm beginning to wonder if they are focusing more on the DS dining experience to wow their guests.

yedliW

I've read mostly average to bad reviews of 9 dragons.. a recent one I read, they suggested getting a bunch of apps and sharing, rather than getting meals. They all loved the apps, and were all disappointed with the entrees. For me.. it isn't high on the priority list, there are enough Chinese restaurants around here that will have as good if not better food than there, for 1/3 the price.. and there are enough other more interesting places to eat at Disney, especially Epcot to have it up on the list.

The same with Tapon Edo (the hibachi grill at Japan). It was good, but no better than most of the similar places I have been to before.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
My wife and I like to try all of the resturants around the world showcase. We have favorites that have good food quality and a menu that respects the country they represent. However tonight we visited the nine dragons restaurant in china. We haven't been there in awhile so we were in the mood for Chinese and we decided to go there. The first thing I noticed was the place was about 25% full at around 5PM. The next was that the menu had been cut down from the last time we were there. The menu selections were average at best for a place that is trying to give you a taste of china. Now I know some folks just like plan so they have to consider that type of customer. We ordered the nine dragons fried rice, it seemed as though they scooped rice sitting in a hot table and then place some pre cooked chicken, shrimps, and ham on top. It did not appear or taste wok cooked to order. I know in the past it has been much better authentic selections and much better tasting. I had the duck salad, I left 75% of it untouched, the duck was not crispy and the other components were just dry and lacking any flavor. Very very disappointed in China. Have you experienced anything happening like this at the other WS Resturants? The best thing about tonight was the Jeffery Osbourne show at the showcase.
Nine Dragons has a four-button rating on TripAdvisor.com, so it seems you just had a bad experience. It can happen in any restaurant -- did you bring up your disappointment with the manager?

larandtra

Trip Advisor isnt always a good barometer of restaurants. For people who go to Disney a lot and have certain expectations from the restaurants coinciding with what you pay, as well as knowing the quality of some other restaurants on property, the opinion would be vastly different from someone just going now and then or seeing it on a visit and deciding to try it. The atmosphere and how it looks can sway some peoples opinions because they dont go to Disney enough to know the difference. Locals/Regulars ( Disney Foodies) to Disney tend to have more accurate opinions. Sites like trip advisor generally have people doing reviews who struggle to spell sometimes. I use it to get reviews on hotels from time to time and cringe at the fact that half the reviews are not easy to read due to grammar, spelling, etc.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
OP, your review is consistent with many I've read.

I agree with those who think that World Showcase restaurants need to up their game, generally. Part of the reason for this is simply that international cuisine is no longer unique to most of us, so in order to be a draw, it needs to be done well. I live in a small, rural community in Upstate NY (one with more cows than people), and yet within a 25-minute drive, there are EXCELLENT Indian, Ethiopian, German, Thai, Chinese, Japanese hibachi/sushi, Mediterranean, Cuban, Mexican, Spanish, French, Italian (including fresh pastas and hand-tossed, wood-fired pizzas), Korean and Vietnamese restaurants. (No Canadian steakhouses like Le Cellier, but we are only an hour's drive from Canada itself!) One of my family's goals in choosing restaurants at Disney is to "go somewhere that offers something that we can't get at home." When our ADR opportunities are few, there is little incentive for me to pay Disney two or three times the cost for international cuisine that I can find (and find "done better") at home any night of the week.

For that reason, when dining in Epcot, we're more likely to choose a restaurant based on a unique setting or experience (the aquarium view at Coral Reef, the characters at Akershus, the live band and incredible theming at Biergarten), which tends to push all the rest of World Showcase off of our "to do" list.

I am envious of where you live. Bet there are some great cheese makers in your area.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I think the biggest issue with reviews is they are always subjective and lean toward the likes and dislikes of the reviewer. I've eaten at many restaurants at Disney with less than stellar reviews that have exceeded my expectations and on the contrary have eaten at many with stellar reviews that didn't live up to expectations. And...I've eaten at some where I felt the reviews were spot on (good or bad).

Food is a very, very subjective subject.....undercooked, over-cooked, cooked just right - it's all in the eye (or taste buds) of the beholder. That's why I don't put too much stock in them. I'll use them as a guideline...but won't make a decision based on them.

yedliW

I think the biggest issue with reviews is they are always subjective and lean toward the likes and dislikes of the reviewer. I've eaten at many restaurants at Disney with less than stellar reviews that have exceeded my expectations and on the contrary have eaten at many with stellar reviews that didn't live up to expectations. And...I've eaten at some where I felt the reviews were spot on (good or bad).

Food is a very, very subjective subject.....undercooked, over-cooked, cooked just right - it's all in the eye (or taste buds) of the beholder. That's why I don't put too much stock in them. I'll use them as a guideline...but won't make a decision based on them.

That's why I try to be objective when I write reviews.. I know sometimes my tastes don't mach up with others.. for example.. I am not a fan of sweet seasonings on meats.. so when I wrote a less than stellar review of Ohana, I explain that.. and when I wrote a glowing review about Cape May, I be sure to point out that if you aren't a seafood lover, you probably should go elsewhere..

Weather_Lady

I am envious of where you live. Bet there are some great cheese makers in your area.

I am very fortunate! I'm in the middle of Finger Lakes Wine Country, surrounded by vineyards (of course), craft breweries, fruit and vegetable farms, cheesemakers, beekeepers, Amish bakeries, grass-fed cattle, free-range chickens, and even a cidery and meadery - plus, most of us all can produce, sauces and salsas from our own gardens. I have friends who press their own nut and seed oils, sell homemade hot sauces and mustards better than anything you can find in a store, and even one who makes his own biltong, a South African cured meat specialty. We may not be a wealthy part of the country, but we are blessed with amazing local food and great restaurants, plus a diverse immigrant population (most of them third-generation or more by now) presenting food from around the world. In other words, we're all working hard, wearing second-hand clothing and driving rusty cars, but we eat like kings! :)

yedliW

I am very fortunate! I'm in the middle of Finger Lakes Wine Country, surrounded by vineyards (of course), craft breweries, fruit and vegetable farms, cheesemakers, beekeepers, Amish bakeries, grass-fed cattle, free-range chickens, and even a cidery and meadery - plus, most of us all can produce, sauces and salsas from our own gardens. I have friends who press their own nut and seed oils, sell homemade hot sauces and mustards better than anything you can find in a store, and even one who makes his own biltong, a South African cured meat specialty. We may not be a wealthy part of the country, but we are blessed with amazing local food and great restaurants, plus a diverse immigrant population (most of them third-generation or more by now) presenting food from around the world. In other words, we're all working hard, wearing second-hand clothing and driving rusty cars, but we eat like kings! :)

And not to mention the Garbage Plates! :) :happy::joyfull::inlove::D

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

:hungry:

Bullseye1967

Is that who I am?
Premium Member
I have had bad experiences my last 2 times at Nine Dragons, but I should state we stopped going there and it has been 3 yrs now. There are too many others we love to take another chance there. It also seemed like they were packing more and more people into the dining area every time we ate there.

Phonedave

That's why I try to be objective when I write reviews.. I know sometimes my tastes don't mach up with others.. for example.. I am not a fan of sweet seasonings on meats.. so when I wrote a less than stellar review of Ohana, I explain that.. and when I wrote a glowing review about Cape May, I be sure to point out that if you aren't a seafood lover, you probably should go elsewhere..

I try to keep my personal tastes out of any reviews I give. Granted, there is not much in the way of food that I don't enjoy (there are some dishes, but not too many) Just as some reviews are on the too simplistic side "everyting was fresh and hot" - I should hope so. Others get too into the reviewers personal tastes.

I know that because my tastes run the gamut, I may actually be too easy on a restaruant in my initial assesmnet. Heck, I have dumped a can tuna into leftover rice, nuked it, and added oil and vinegar and called it a day. But if I am going out ot eat, and paying good money to do so, I expect a bit more than that.

Most of the resaruants in WDW are very much food service type places, as opposed to cook from scratch. But then, they have to be, just to keep up with the volume.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom