The Redhead is changing....

Lets Respect

This is bonkers. They are slightly changing a scene in a theme park ride. A scene where women are in CHAINS being sold. On a ride that loads of kids ride, at a resort where people spend thousands to bring their kids for a happy-happy time. Not some historically-accurate museum of pirating history. A change that is probably 30 years late. And people are surprised at this! It's a crime on par with putting a wrecking ball through the Louvre! :banghead:

RSoxNo1

Advertisement
This is bonkers. They are slightly changing a scene in a theme park ride. A scene where women are in CHAINS being sold. On a ride that loads of kids ride, at a resort where people spend thousands to bring their kids for a happy-happy time. Not some historically-accurate museum of pirating history. A change that is probably 30 years late. And people are surprised at this! It's a crime on par with putting a wrecking ball through the Louvre! :banghead:
I'm glad you made the Louvre comparison because there are many on here that view the parks and the attractions held within as works of art. I wouldn't put it on par with running a wrecking ball through the Louvre but I do think it's on par with covering up the Statue of David or Venus De Milo.

Mike S

Might as well change the final scene then. All those people happily singing among burning buildings, kids will think it's ok to commit arson and get drunk!!!

It's a ride about Pirates for crying out loud. News flash: they weren't nice people.

Goofyernmost

Oh that is awful...so no more bride auction and they have given the larger woman eggs and a chicken? Not liking this change at all...
now it will be "We Wants the Chicken and Eggs! We Wants the Chicken and Eggs!
Stupid...
Sure, but, it will be in French so you can make believe they are asking for the redhead. It's hard to find anything to goes well with Oeuf!
Except maybe Bacon! Which is, well, bacon even in French.

Incomudro

That's also context. It's a rated R movie for a reason. Having said that, the parks shouldn't be G rated. If they were, they'd have no edge and no one would go.
I would say that Fantasyland is G rated. Not designated so, but it's essentially the little kid side.
Adventure Land, Frontier Land, parts of AK, (Dinosaur and EE) parts of Hollywood Studios enter what I would consider a PG realm.
I know that when my boys were very little, I parentaly guided them through or onto HM, ToT, Dinosaur...

RSoxNo1

But does that "edge" have to be found by making light of the sexual exploitation of one group of people by another?
If the attraction were made today, I'd agree with you. There's no way this scene gets made today. But whitewashing history is a problem. There is a vocal minority that's upset about what's depicted without recognizing that there are consequences for the pirates at the end of the attraction.

I understand why they're changing the scene, but this is a symbolic gesture, nothing more.

HMF

If the attraction were made today, I'd agree with you. There's no way this scene gets made today. But whitewashing history is a problem. There is a vocal minority that's upset about what's depicted without recognizing that there are consequences for the pirates at the end of the attraction.

I understand why they're changing the scene, but this is a symbolic gesture, nothing more.
There used to be consequences. Now we just pass Jack Sparrow toasting piracy and it's many shiny rewards and if the grotto in Paris is being changed to having living un-dead Pirates then the morality tale in place over there goes out the window.

Chef Mickey

The Louvre is a bad example, because it's super overrated. I'd argue Pirates is a bigger deal.

RSoxNo1

There used to be consequences. Now we just pass Jack Sparrow toasting piracy and it's many shiny rewards.
The jail scene is still there. Disneyland Paris' version probably shows the consequence the best with Disney World's showing it the worst.

Incomudro

Oh no, I get it. The scene is "funny" because a fat woman, a woman with buck teeth, and a others who are outside the conventional 1960s ideas of desirability and suitability for marriage are pleased to find themselves abducted and sold as sex slaves because at least this will mean they can finally be in a relationship with a man, any man. Adding to the hilarity is the fact that the pirates who have gathered to buy these women as chattel still aren't interested in the fat one because she's too fat. So fat, in fact, that the auctioneer points out that she is in fact "corn-fed," like a cow.
1960's idea?
Overweight and bucked teeth are desirable now?
Are they desirable in men?

JoeCamel

They are pirates = criminals. They do criminal things. if we see what we they do we know how not to be a pirate. Next thing they will get rid of the gangsters on the GMR.... and stop selling toy guns in the gift shops....Oh wait...........

Jack Skeleton

Your mother coined the phrase, "it is what it is"? Seinfeld does a great bit on sayings like that where he explains that sayings like that are a way to converse without actually saying anything.

This is a superficial change that serves nothing other than satisfying a vocal minority. It doesn't solve a real problem.
Clearly what I was trying to convey has escaped your miniscual comprehension of what was posted.

Which you also choose to ignore what I posted after that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom