• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

The Redhead is changing....

Bairstow

Oh my God, you just do not get it.
Oh no, I get it. The scene is "funny" because a fat woman, a woman with buck teeth, and others who are outside the conventional 1960s ideas of desirability and suitability for marriage are pleased to find themselves abducted and sold as sex slaves because at least this will mean they can finally be in a relationship with a man, any man. Adding to the hilarity is the fact that the pirates who have gathered to buy these women as chattel still aren't interested in the fat one because she's too fat. So fat, in fact, that the auctioneer points out that she is in fact "corn-fed," like a cow.

Last edited:

lightningtap347

Advertisement
Oh no, I get it. The scene is "funny" because a fat woman, a woman with buck teeth, and a others who are outside the conventional 1960s ideas of desirability and suitability for marriage are pleased to find themselves abducted and sold as sex slaves because at least this will mean they can finally be in a relationship with a man, any man. Adding to the hilarity is the fact that the pirates who have gathered to buy these women as chattel still aren't interested in the fat one because she's too fat. So fat, in fact, that the auctioneer points out that she is in fact "corn-fed," like a cow.
Well when you put it that way, it sounds pretty hilarious!

Jack Skeleton

You know my mom has a saying and I'm just gonna leave it here...It is what it is. Certainly isn't the first time something that has changed which this forum gets in a tizzy and reaching for pitchforks about. I have a strong feeling it won't be the last.

Jack Skeleton

Hmm. I will say that if the ride is viewed as a film, and I do believe there are warnings on rides than I would say leave it a lone. I believe that is the most simple and logically way to look at this situation.

Of course nobody really read the warnings on Alien. Screw it. What do I know lol

Magicart87

Well Known Member
Premium Member
I just don't understand the logic!? They had options! To spend nothing and leave the scene unchanged or waste money. (The option to save a buck and they still go and do this nonsense.) Is this a precedence? I've given up trying to understand DIS-management.

Last edited:

Cousin Huet

Oh no, I get it. The scene is "funny" because a fat woman, a woman with buck teeth, and a others who are outside the conventional 1960s ideas of desirability and suitability for marriage are pleased to find themselves abducted and sold as sex slaves because at least this will mean they can finally be in a relationship with a man, any man. Adding to the hilarity is the fact that the pirates who have gathered to buy these women as chattel still aren't interested in the fat one because she's too fat. So fat, in fact, that the auctioneer points out that she is in fact "corn-fed," like a cow.
It is vile how you just assume the gender of so many without even respectfully asking.

the-reason14

Sorry, have to chime in here......

First off, can you imagine decades and decades from now, decades away as long as POTC has existed today, hypothetically assuming WDW and every Disney resort still exists, but can you imagine kids of the future researching the original scene and being surprised by it's contents? Like the thought of that boggles my mind. The fact that they will replace an iconic scene in an iconic attraction, and simply erase it as if it never existed? Wow!

With that said, I understand we are living in a new world, but you shouldn't change art to appeal to people of this world. Just make new art! The fact that Disney is actually changing something that has existed for decades and is iconic, to me, just shows we are living in a Disney World today where us true Disney fans should be worried. I mean what's next? Also the fact that people seem to be relatively ok with this, is another problem. Maybe some of the true Disney fans are becoming less and less desensitized to the current Disney culture. Sorry, I'm not buying the whole thing about Disneyland being about "change" in regards to this change. There's a huge difference between "changing" and "plussing" an attraction, and this is not plussing. I'm not going to stop going to WDW or Disneyland because of this and I don't expect true fans to either, but I will definitely be more frugal and conscience of the money and time I spend there in the future. They just don't care about us anymore, and it's just sad. I know WDi has done some ridiculous changes in the past, but this has got to be one of the most ridiculous one, I just can't with this.

Scrungo

This is all set up for the sixth Pirates movie where the Redhead shows up. She'll be played by Scarlett Johansson wearing the Black Widow wig and this is how they'll connect the Marvel Cinematic Universe with the Pirate Cinematic Universe. Please hire me as the next CEO.

Mike S

Don't care who I disturb on their precious vacations. I will always shout "we wants the redhead!!!" in the honor of preserving history.

For the snowflakes who found it "offensive," it's a lot tamer than what real Pirates actually did.

I wonder if they'll change the song next.

RSoxNo1

You know my mom has a saying and I'm just gonna leave it here...It is what it is. Certainly isn't the first time something that has changed which this forum gets in a tizzy and reaching for pitchforks about. I have a strong feeling it won't be the last.
Your mother coined the phrase, "it is what it is"? Seinfeld does a great bit on sayings like that where he explains that sayings like that are a way to converse without actually saying anything.

This is a superficial change that serves nothing other than satisfying a vocal minority. It doesn't solve a real problem.

becca_

Yeah it's kind of stupid to change something that's been around for a very long time but at the end of the day - it's just a ride. You'll either go to WDW/Disney parks, or you won't. You'll still ride POTC and enjoy the slow moving boat ride for what it is or you won't. It's a change and whether it ends up being a really fun, refreshing change we'll have to wait and see.

RSoxNo1

Leaving Disneyland out of this for the time being, I'll pose the question: Would people prefer to keep the current version of Pirates of the Caribbean, with the changed scene or replace it with Shanghai's version?

Top Bottom