The Recommendation Thread

Steamboat_Kevin

Original Poster
I've never seen a thread like this on here before, I figured it would be a good idea. Just recommend different things (movies, music, TV shows, anything really) for other WDW Magic'ers. Don't just list them off, though, write something about why you like them and recommend them.

I'll start by recommending an album:

odessey.jpg

The Zombies' "Odessey & Oracle"

Most of you probably know the song "Time of the Season" off of this album, but there are so many better songs besides that on here. It's one of my favorite albums of all time and any fan of music who doesn't have it in their collection should definitely consider acquiring it somehow. It's a gem that often gets forgotten in the mix of other great albums of the late 60's. It placed 80th on Rolling Stone's Top 500 Albums of All Time, and it revolves around the top 40 on the list of best albums on RateYourMusic.com. I'm almost positive you'll find something you like on it.

EpcotServo

The movie "Hot Fuzz". it's a great action-horror-comedy-cop movie from the guys who brought you the classic "Shaun of the Dead". It's on DVD now!
:D

k.hunter30

The movie "Hot Fuzz". it's a great action-horror-comedy-cop movie from the guys who brought you the classic "Shaun of the Dead". It's on DVD now!
:D
It's next on our Netflix queue! I'm so excited to see it!

I'll recommend the TV show "The Office." While reality tv is adicting, there's something great about a quality sitcom - and "The Office" is one of the best ones out there. DH and I find ourselves quoting the show quite often. The characters are so different and colorful. It's very fun to watch! We just go into it this past spring and have since rented past seasons.

I hear the British version is even better though I haven't seen it yet.

Disneybird

I'd like to recommend a series of books by Janet Evanovich. Start with "One for the Money", then "Two for the Dough", "Three to get Deadly", etc.. I just finished the 13th book in the series. They're about a female bounty hunter who can barely even catch a cold, the 2 men in her life and her kooky family and friends. The books are hilarious. By the time I discovered them, there was already about 8 books out in the series. I bought the first one, and didn't read anything else until I read the whole series up to that point. I would laugh so hard out loud sometimes that my dh decided to read them too. He started at #1 also, and like me, read one right after the other. I told my boss about them and she and her 2 sisters did the same thing. They're just good fun reading.

Steamboat_Kevin

Original Poster
Most of you have probably already read Catcher In The Rye by JD Salinger, but if you haven't, you need to.

Reading it changed my outlook on life, and I know that sounds corny, but I assure you it's entirely true.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I wish to highlight the music of a popular beat combo called Porcupine Tree.
There music is quite sonic and has hints of classic Floyd etc.

Samples on this site:

http://www.porcupinetree.com/index.cfm

There current recording "Fear of Blank Planet" is most excellent as was their live performance on the supporting tour.

imagineer99

hmmm...

Flight of the Conchords. This is currently the best comedic show on television. It's more clever than the office. It feels fresh and never formulaic (I'm looking at you Entourage!) And, dang if it isn't funny. That's right ladies...it's business time! Please...watch this show before it gets canceled (like Arrested Development).

Y: The Last Man This is a comic book series--but please don't let that turn you off. I'd venture to say that "Y" is better than 90% of dramatic television series on the air right now. It's engrossing...it's orginal...and it's darkly humorous. It always amazes me how people will flock to see comic book movies in the theater, but they turn their nose down on the actual source material.

Ex Machina Anothe comic book series--to describe it, think "The West Wing" combined with spiderman.

Number_6

I'm going to recommend a series of books by Simon R. Green called The Nightside Series. It starts with "Something From the Nightside" and goes on for six more books to date. The series is about a Private Eye named John Taylor who works in London. He's approached by a woman who says her daughter disappeared into a place called "The Nightside" which exists outside of time and space in the heart of London. John Taylor knows The Nightside well, because that's where he was born. He left there vowing never to return because he was being hunted by an unknown enemy and every time he used his special gift, the ability to locate anything, no matter where it was located, he would be tracked and attacked. He takes the job and returns finding that as always, not everything is as it seems.

Really well written series, especially if you like fantasy mixed in with your mysteries. At times intense, but always able to break those moments up with humor, this is one of my favorite series to read.

Pongo

I'm going to recommend Milka chocolate bars because it blows any American chocolate (or any chocolate for that matter) out of the water.

Steamboat_Kevin

Original Poster
I recommend that everybody listens to The Shins. All three of their albums are terrific. I saw them live this year and it was the best concert I've seen.

I also am gonna recommend a lesser-known band called Beirut. They're real unique. They sound like a mixture between Eastern European folk and indie-pop/rock.

NadieMasK2

I'd like to recommend music by an artist named Nick Drake. He is a lesser-known artist from the late 60's I believe, all acoustic, soul-searching type stuff. Great songs to ponder. My favorite songs:

Pink Moon
Northern Sky
Which Will

Steamboat_Kevin

Original Poster
I'd like to recommend music by an artist named Nick Drake. He is a lesser-known artist from the late 60's I believe, all acoustic, soul-searching type stuff. Great songs to ponder. My favorite songs:

Pink Moon
Northern Sky
Which Will

I agree. Pink Moon is a great album altogether. One of my favorites.

wdwishes2005

I recommend a mod for Half Life two called Zombie Master. It's still in beta but it's a pretty complete game, and quite addicting. I've completely dropped CS:S to play it more...

disney_nutter

I am going to recommend the book wicked, i had heard people talking about this book for a while and wondered what the fuss was so i went out and picked up a cheap second hand copy and wow, i didn't put it down, its a must for all wizard of oz fans. I will say that a few of my friends say that it is a bit hard to read but i found it fine i give 4 out 5 stars.

davidpw97

I'd like to Recommend two books, similar in nature, one a well known classic and the other a new classic, IMHO.

Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger- My favorite book of all time and one that every young person should read in HS or atleast sometime in their life. Even if you don't get the deeper meaning to it, its still a great story with one of the most memorable characters in literary history. Read it because it's funny, read it because its short and an easy read, or read it to take a stand against those who try to ban it for its supposed vulgarity which by today's standards is quite laughable. Whatever the reason, you should read it. It's too bad the author won't let anyone make a movie out of it. A character like Holden Caulfield deserves to be preserved on Film.

King Dork by Frank Portman- This book came out in the spring of 2006 and is also about coming of age in HS but from a more modern perspective. Read it if you have or have ever dreamed of having your own band, read it because it's entertaining and full of great characters, read it to relive your HS years, or read it because its an easy short read and totally entertaining. I don't much care for the stories' denouement but it is still a great read. There is so much more that can be told with these chracters that I hope this book was only a first in a series. Just read the summary posted on Frank Portman's website and tell me it doesn't make you want to read it.
http://www.frankportman.com/index2.html

popsicletrees

I will recommend two books also. The first is American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It is a little thick, but it is a very quick read. It is about a guy, Shadow, who gets out of prison and gets approached by a man who wants him to travel with and work for him. It involves a lot of mythology. It basically comes down to gods from the old world battling gods from the new world, such as television and internet. Plus the book is set in a lot of tourist trap type places in America. The last is in Chattanooga, which is close to my heart considering I grew up right outside of Chattanooga. Gaiman wrote the book Stardust that is coming out in theaters this week.

Another book I will recommend is Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. It is a light hearted spin on the book of Revelations (if that is even possible). Basically the anti-Christ is switched at birth with another baby and is raised as a decent kid by a middle class family. Heaven and Hell have not realized that there was a switch and send mentors to the kid that they think is the anti-Christ to try and sway him to be good or evil. It is just a really funny book.

EPCOT.nut

I am going to recommend the book wicked, i had heard people talking about this book for a while and wondered what the fuss was so i went out and picked up a cheap second hand copy and wow, i didn't put it down, its a must for all wizard of oz fans. I will say that a few of my friends say that it is a bit hard to read but i found it fine i give 4 out 5 stars.

Yes I read Wicked also. My sister got it for me while I was in the hospital for a week. It was really easy to read - it is an existential novel - and it clears up weird things like the flying monkeys.

On that note - I recommend going to a Pink Floyd laser light show.
They put parts of the Wizard of Oz movie to cuts of the album Dark Side of the Moon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom