The Post-Covid Crowd Rush... Is WDW Ready?

plawren2

WDW is really data driven (reservations and ticket sales) and have the capacity and infrastructure in place to expand hours and staffing as needed once demand starts to increase. It will increasing to see how they approach demand increase in term of what features and experiences are added, plus how WDW view potential for 50th anniversary as a draw. I would suspect pent up demand will exist as soon as this fall and would not be surprised at rate increase in demand and visitors this fall, and certainly in 2022.

Heppenheimer

WDW is really data driven (reservations and ticket sales) and have the capacity and infrastructure in place to expand hours and staffing as needed once demand starts to increase. It will increasing to see how they approach demand increase in term of what features and experiences are added, plus how WDW view potential for 50th anniversary as a draw. I would suspect pent up demand will exist as soon as this fall and would not be surprised at rate increase in demand and visitors this fall, and certainly in 2022.
I would wonder, though. They've lost a lot of institutional talent and knowledge-base. How easily can they just ramp that back up?

plawren2

I would wonder, though. They've lost a lot of institutional talent and knowledge-base. How easily can they just ramp that back up?
I suppose it depends how deep those cuts were and how many are still available and interested to return. But WDW will be highly motivated to expand capacity (increase revenue) as soon as is possible.

Sctble

Original Poster
DisneyLAND for that matter may receive an even bigger rush due to having been completely closed off.
Absolutely certain DL will get a historic rush once finally reopened. The Cali locals alone, hungry for theme park entertainment will push that place to holiday crowd levels daily I'm sure. (That is, if they're not so sick of being stuck by that point, that everyone in Cali goes full-on National Lampoon's European Vacation.)

Wendy Pleakley

It's interesting to speculate, but that's all we can do right now honestly.

I'd love to take a trip somewhere next fall but I don't see making that decision until late Summer at the earliest.

Will there be a rush to visit WDW? Maybe. Will a lot of people still be recovering financially? Maybe. Will people be more likely to book things for 2022, since vacation days and other considerations require advance planning? Maybe.

ppete1975

id be more concerned with disney land. It will go from a sleepier more locals park to an over crowded more touristy park that will be very uncomfortable for maybe years.

Wendy Pleakley

id be more concerned with disney land. It will go from a sleepier more locals park to an over crowded more touristy park that will be very uncomfortable for maybe years.

Disneyland attendance is weighted much heavier towards locals. It's gotten busier due to locals, not sleepier. With the end (suspension?) of the annual pass program, expect it to be less crowded than in recent years.

ppete1975

Disneyland attendance is weighted much heavier towards locals. It's gotten busier due to locals, not sleepier. With the end (suspension?) of the annual pass program, expect it to be less crowded than in recent years.
i meant sleepier and more relaxed in comparison to wdw. Its always been the local park not the tourist park but I think alot of people have disneyland on their bucket list. This covid pandemic has shown many of us to throw away the bucket and do the things we want to do.

Clamman73

It seems they are slowly turning the flow valve instead of opening the flood gates at once. The Park reservation system is in place for the rest of the year and the hotels are opening up in intervals.

Sctble

Original Poster
This thread is WAYYY early. You can’t talk about “preparation” when the timing and parameters aren’t known
I get that, but it's never too early to at least start thinking of scenarios, given the possible teeter the world will see from pandemic lifestyle to the freedom & need for escape once ended.

And yes, I said need. Luxuries such as vacations will be just that for many people after what's been endured in 2020, '21..

aliceismad

The flip side is that most of the upper middle class and wealthy class that makes up Disney World visitors has been spending the last 10 months not dining out and not traveling and has more disposable cash than ever. The savings rate for the US has been off the charts good for the last 9 months.
Not to mention that those folks have watched two or three or more vacations go by. This seems to be the group Disney is targeting as well - people more likely to shell out for after hours events, dessert parties, $10 cupcakes and $200 light sabers, the possibility of a paid/semi-paid FP system, paid transportation to the airport, etc.

NickMaio

Don't worry, this topic starts with Covid, but isn't technically another Covid thread. It's about crowds and how prepared Orlando will be.

So, hypothetically speaking, let's say the vaccine is a success (very likely). Next thing you know, borders are reopening, travel is resuming, and there are a lot of people around the globe with cabin fever and ready for a change of scenery. Tourism starts to BOOM with a flood of the cooped-up and sick of being at home population.

Again, all hypothetical. When/if that day comes, could WDW see entire months that resemble that infamous week between Christmas and New Year's? You know, where a walk from Swiss to Tiki Room can feel like an eternity as you squish and get elbowed through the masses? But instead of a few short holiday weeks, it's months as the locked down & stuck inside seek some much needed escapism?

The natural human programming after such a stressful time indicates there will be travel like this planet has never seen before. (Can you blame anyone?)

The question is, will WDW be ready in staffing, resources, and so-on for what could be a flood of NYE's in crowd levels? Or do you think people will be too afraid to travel DUE to expecting crowds at every turn, resulting in a slower build to "Normal"?

Edit: Another point to add, that @drizgirl mentioned: People's personal economies. Whether or not this pandemic took too big a bite out of livelihoods to rebuild slowly or rapidly will also play a big part in where tourism goes from here.
Nope....they wont be ready. They just fired 30k more people.
They are pinching their pennies.
Get ready to be crushed like sardines when the crowds start to really swell.

Unless all restrictions are lifted before summer or before end of year Holiday season, there will be no rush. Adults still have work, kids still have school. Not everyone will be able to head out all in a period of a few months. There was really no slow period at WDW anymore prior to COVID. WDW was doing all it could to fill then once slower times with conventions, sporting events, marathons, etc. Will things bounce back to normal faster than anticipated, most likely.

In addition, the Park Pass reservation calendar is already into 2022. I’m sure Disney is using this as a great tool to gauge recalling cast members. Furthermore, I’m sure Disney will continue to reach out and inquire whether you plan on keeping your reservation. WDW has in place the system to not get caught with its Mickey Ears off.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

There was an estimated one million DL AP holders before the shutdown. The installment program drove those numbers through the roof.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom