The Peter Pan ride in TDL vs. TDS

mharrington

Original Poster
Ever since I first heard of Fantasy Springs coming to TDS, which is to be home to a couple of "Peter Pan"-themed attractions, I've had to ask: what's going to happen to the Peter Pan ride in Tokyo Disneyland? Are they going to remove that, since it seems rather redundant to have two similar (if not identical) rides based on the same movie in two separate parks?

PiratesMansion

I'm still assuming they're keeping PPF until I see photographic evidence of them tearing it out.

I've been assured in the past that *obviously* PPF will leave once the new ride opened up, but then others assured people in the past that Star Tours would close at Disneyland once Galaxy's Edge opened in the same park (which, shockingly, didn't happen), and there are multiple IPs represented in different attractions in different parks (or even, as mentioned, in the same park), so it's not without precedent.

But perhaps the concept art and videos are pointing to them being incredibly similar, in which case tearing out PPF would be logical, I suppose. But logic isn't always the strong suit of 2021's Disney. Or even the 2021 OLC.

Certainly PPF is quite an overrated attraction anyway, at least for me, so I'd be fine with them removing it. But as I said, I'll believe it when I see it.

BayouShack

The Peter Pan ride is rumored to be some kind of simulator, so it’d be a very different experience. I’d imagine it’ll be something like this:

CC1520BD-AD79-4554-9162-867A4E6EC50A.png
B2FC5E3F-A075-4B32-8308-EE85EC935B0C.png

Animaniac93-98

I wonder what would realistically replace Peter Pan? Disney only tends to pick from a limited number of movies these days, and most of them are already represented in both parks. That they even chose Peter Pan for Fantasy Springs is kind of amazing because they haven't built a new Peter Pan ride since Shanghai, and that was just another version of the traditional dark ride.

The only movies I can think of that Disney would consider and fit with the rest of Fantasyland are Sleeping Beauty and Mary Poppins. Of those two, Poppins makes more sense. As much as I want Aurora to have an attraction in TDL, I think it would be too similar to Snow White in terms of the overall feel. I would 100% support two-track Mr. Toad, but there's no way the WDI of today would do that.

Toad in Tokyo, however, might justify the costs of updating the DLR ride.

Brer Oswald

The fact that they chose to represent Peter Pan...again just speaks to the wild popularity of PPF. The ride is described as being a flight through Neverland jungles with the Lost Boys. The fact that they are deliberately setting it apart from PPF seems to point more towards it being supplementary rather than a replacement. This is no flight over London and Neverland.

Animaniac93-98

The fact that they chose to represent Peter Pan...again just speaks to the wild popularity of PPF. The ride is described as being a flight through Neverland jungles with the Lost Boys. The fact that they are deliberately setting it apart from PPF seems to point more towards it being supplementary rather than a replacement. This is no flight over London and Neverland.

I agree that it's intended to supplement PPF and may not be replaced, but PhilharMagic also has a Peter Pan scene over London.

4 Peter Pan attractions in one resort! 😮

BayouShack

There’s definitely precedent. Nemo and Toy Story come to mind.

DLR has two Nemo attractions between its two parks. Toy Story has three.

TDS has two Nemo attractions, each in different lands. Toy Story has a ride in each park, and a hotel.

WDW has a Nemo show in Animal Kingdom, and the Nemo omnimover + Turtle Talk in EPCOT. There’s a Toy Story ride in MK, and a land with three more rides in DHS.

You have the same situation at DLP with Toy Story at DLP.

22% of the rides, and half the hotels, are Toy Story themed at SHDL! Very impressive.

-

So it's going to be like Six Flags does Flight of Passage?

I think you’re referring to the Flying Coasters at Six Flags? The seating might be similar, but there’d be no track. It’s be like saying Soarin’ is Six Flags does Star Tours (same seating as the Batman clones). So I wouldn’t say “Six Flags does Flight of Passage” is an fair description of what we should expect.

I think the new ride will differentiate itself from the ride in Fantasyland by the ride position. It would probably have a height limit, so it would exclude some young kids. It would be pretty disappointing as a kid if one day you can ride the Peter Pan ride, and then suddenly you can’t. All the more reason the original will be preserved.

PiratesMansion

TDS has two Nemo attractions, each in different lands. Toy Story has a ride in each park, and a hotel.

WDW has a Nemo show in Animal Kingdom, and the Nemo omnimover + Turtle Talk in EPCOT. There’s a Toy Story ride in MK, and a land with three more rides in DHS.

22% of the rides, and half the hotels, are Toy Story themed at SHDL! Very impressive.

-

I think you’re referring to the Flying Coasters at Six Flags? The seating might be similar, but there’d be no track. It’s be like saying Soarin’ is Six Flags does Star Tours (same seating as the Batman clones). So I wouldn’t say “Six Flags does Flight of Passage” is an fair description of what we should expect.

I think the new ride will differentiate itself from the ride in Fantasyland by the ride position. It would probably have a height limit, so it would exclude some young kids. It would be pretty disappointing as a kid if one day you can ride the Peter Pan ride, and then suddenly you can’t. All the more reason the original will be preserved.
Less Six Flags because of the flying coasters, and more because of the stripped down, more mechanical-and-amusement-park-looking ride vehicles when paired with the film.

BayouShack

Less Six Flags because of the flying coasters, and more because of the stripped down, more mechanical-and-amusement-park-looking ride vehicles when paired with the film.
That’s not actual concept for the ride. No telling what sort of theming they would layer on top of the ride system. I doubt they’d go that generic and industrial. They usually do a decent job hiding the ride system.

If it was unclear, those images are just a reference for my guess. I could be completely off, and it could be a tracked ride and not a simulator. My reasoning is with two other boat rides in the land, I would be surprised. Also, if it’s a more intense ride system, it would justify the area also having a gentle Tinkerbell themed ride.

Last edited:

Robbiem

Would there be enough room to do something in the PPF building up to current OLC standards? Something like Pooh or BatB takes up a lot more space so TDS might not replace the ride if they can’t build something which would be more marketable or what the public would expect now.

Maybe they could reuse the Epcot Mary Poppins idea?

Toni25

Ever since I first heard of Fantasy Springs coming to TDS, which is to be home to a couple of "Peter Pan"-themed attractions, I've had to ask: what's going to happen to the Peter Pan ride in Tokyo Disneyland? Are they going to remove that, since it seems rather redundant to have two similar (if not identical) rides based on the same movie in two separate parks?
I thought about this too.
I think people really love that i.p. over there and they decided to make something epic for it in Fantasy Springs. I think they will eventually change the ride in the Castle park when a future & MUCH needed Fantasyland renovation will happen.
I am curious what people are speculating that replacement could be?
Alice in Wonderland? Seems like a good fit, it's still British. It's also a classic option, which Tokyo seems to like (and I'm glad they do). Logistically a bit of a mess considering the restaurant is on the other side next to it's a small world, but maybe they could retheme that?

Maybe a newer Pixar IP? I'd love to see something more "Fantastical" e.g. Pixars "Onward" but it seems like maybe too "modern" for OLCs liking.

Honestly I think many things would have to be changed out in that land, OLC seems daring enough to do it.
Now that Fantasyland Theater exists, I could even see PhillarMagic go...I can't help but think how well Pixars new LUCA i.p. would fit next to Pinocchio, to create a sort of Italian area. So you would have France, Italy & UK inspired areas composing Fantasyland.

Toni25

And don't even get me started on having an ENTIRE LAND dedicated to STAR WARS, yet they still have rides scattered throughout Tomorrowland, or even the same park (Hollywood Studios) 👀

SweetDuffy101

From what i heard so far, all unannouced projects had been halted by OLC cause of the pandemic, The next project for Tokyo Disneyland was a revision of Tomorrowland Which is in dire need of an update.

PiratesMansion

From what i heard so far, all unannouced projects had been halted by OLC cause of the pandemic, The next project for Tokyo Disneyland was a revision of Tomorrowland Which is in dire need of an update.
I think old Fantasyland sticks out much more now that they have that beautiful BATB area, personally, but a Tomorrowland refurb would make sense too. But the halting of new construction wouldn't really be a surprise.

Can't be fun to be operating a theme park resort when restrictions keep yo-yoing as the pandemic ebbs and flows.

G.L.A.D.I.O

I think old Fantasyland sticks out much more now that they have that beautiful BATB area, personally, but a Tomorrowland refurb would make sense too. But the halting of new construction wouldn't really be a surprise.

Can't be fun to be operating a theme park resort when restrictions keep yo-yoing as the pandemic ebbs and flows.
Was the retheme of Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster still considered in this tomorrowland overhaul ? At one point they were considering to reuse some Blue Sky concepts from the Stitch Interactive ride planned for SDL in its early stages.

PiratesMansion

Was the retheme of Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaster still considered in this tomorrowland overhaul ? At one point they were considering to reuse some Blue Sky concepts from the Stitch Interactive ride planned for SDL in its early stages.
I have no idea if that was ever on the table. It would surprise me, seeing as it still seems to be a fairly popular ride there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom