Trip Report The Perfect Trip

With the world, both Disney and the real world, shutdown. I have had a lot of time to think and reminisce. I thought I would relive old memories and write a very delinquent trip report.

My family, DW, DS and myself, have been to WDW many times. I believe our best trip ever was when son our was 5 years old, his first trip and our first trip since before he was born, 9 months before he was born to be exact sort of a little Disney souvenir. As a reference point he is graduating from College, if they even have commencement this year, but I digress. It was also a birthday trip for my DW.

Everything about DS first trip was new and exciting to him. The limo ride to the airport, the flight down from Boston to Orlando. The “train ride” from the gates to the main terminal and the DME to our resort.

My DW and I not so much planned the trip to the last detail as thought out our days and meals etc. That trip we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. When we walked into the lobby my DS just stood there and looked up with his mouth open. My DW suggested we just go to the pool and relax and visit the park the later as we had ADRs at the Liberty Tree Tavern for supper. I told her she was nuts, we are going to the Magic Kingdom as soon as we change into shorts. We took the boat over and walked through the gates and up Main Street USA. We walked into Adventure land and did the Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Country Bears, stopped at the Frontier Trading Post for a Davy Crockett hat for DS after he saw the baby bear wearing one. As stated, we ate at the LTT when there were characters, it seemed much more fun then. After dinner we did the Haunted Mansion, and watched the nighttime parade, Ok senior moment, I can’t remember the name of it but think it was the electrical parade. Then back to the resort to watch the water pageant.

The next day, day 2, we had breakfast at Whispering Canyon, we informed our server it was my DW birthday and boy did we get roasted. We hit the Magic Kingdom again, rode Dumbo, Peter Pan’s Flight the Speedway, my DS was amazed when I let him drive, we bounced around and I had to press down on the gas pedal but his sheer joy of “driving” makes me stand up for the speedway when people want to put something else there. Next was Carousel of Progress then Stich and the Laugh Floor. We went back to the resort and swam in the pool had a snack and rested. Then we cleaned up and headed to EPCOT by way of MK, monorail and TTC to make the change. We did Spaceship Earth and Test Track; my DS was nervous about it until I told him it was just like being in the car when Mom drives. We had dinner at the Biergarten purchased a pickle for the Christmas tree and watched Illuminations.

Day 3 was EPCOT again, my DW insisted on riding Mission Space, in those days there wasn’t a green or Orange, you got the full effect. It was fun holding the vomit bag up to my DS mouth while my wife yelled “we’re going to die” luckily, we did not have a big breakfast that morning. After that they sat outside very still for about 30 minutes, I went and got water and coke to help settle them down. Then we hit Club Cool and I introduced my son to “Beverly” then we visited Honey I Shrunk the Audience and Ellen’s Energy Adventure. A light lunch at Sunshine Seasons, they still were not very hungry and back for a swim and some rest. That evening we did the Hoop de Doo review. During the show my DS tugged at my sleeve and said to me “Dad this is so corny” I just broke up laughing.

Day 4 was breakfast at Chef Mickey’s my DS liked the waffles and informed me that “next time” we should stay at the Contemporary, which by the way we did. We went to Typhoon Lagoon in the morning. My DW and DS love swimming, and they loved the wave pool although he was only 5, DS could already swim like a proverbial fish. I got in an inner tube and floated around the lazy River until “they” came to get me.

Later we visited what was then MGM Studios and did Disaster Canyon, Back Lot Tour, Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones, Sounds Dangerous and Star Wars then had Dinner at the Brown Derby. DS still remembers the chicken soup with Mickey pasta.

Day 6 we visited DAK did the Safari first thing then dinosaur, a bug’s life and toured around the park. We only spent half a day there then we went to the Magic Kingdom and had lunch at the Plaza Inn, burgers and shakes. A family came in, they spoke very little English, and the waitress was confused as they keep staring at us and gesturing. I looked over and said “chocolate milkshake” the waitress got it and they all smiled, as we were leaving the father stood and shook my hand. We visited Micky’s Philharmagic and did some of the other attractions again. That night we decided to just resort hop via the monorail and ordered a pizza from room service. I can honestly say it the worst pizza I ever ate.

Day 7 we did rope drop at MGM for Star Wars weekend and again my DS was speechless, this time at the line of storm troopers. We took his picture with all the characters including Darth Vader to whom he bowed and said “Thank you my master” I am still not sure where that came from. We had a hotdog and some snacks during the day and had a belated birthday dinner for DW at the California Grill and watched Wishes from the roof.

The next day we had another breakfast at Whispering Canyon with all the antics and took the DME to the airport and home. I always know my Disney vacation is over when I must handle my own bags from the luggage carousel.

We have made other trips over the years but that first trip, except for the name of the nighttime parade is the one I remember most. Getting old sucks and it is not for sissies.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Such a happy and memorable first trip for your DS. I enjoyed reading about it.
Thank you for sharing! :joyfull:

JosieBee

Sounds like a wonderful trip! Reliving these old happy memories of Disney trips certainly helps the soul in these times.

pkkurz

With the world, both Disney and the real world, shutdown. I have had a lot of time to think and reminisce. I thought I would relive old memories and write a very delinquent trip report.

My family, DW, DS and myself, have been to WDW many times. I believe our best trip ever was when son our was 5 years old, his first trip and our first trip since before he was born, 9 months before he was born to be exact sort of a little Disney souvenir. As a reference point he is graduating from College, if they even have commencement this year, but I digress. It was also a birthday trip for my DW.

Everything about DS first trip was new and exciting to him. The limo ride to the airport, the flight down from Boston to Orlando. The “train ride” from the gates to the main terminal and the DME to our resort.

My DW and I not so much planned the trip to the last detail as thought out our days and meals etc. That trip we stayed at the Wilderness Lodge. When we walked into the lobby my DS just stood there and looked up with his mouth open. My DW suggested we just go to the pool and relax and visit the park the later as we had ADRs at the Liberty Tree Tavern for supper. I told her she was nuts, we are going to the Magic Kingdom as soon as we change into shorts. We took the boat over and walked through the gates and up Main Street USA. We walked into Adventure land and did the Jungle Cruise, Tiki Room, Pirates of the Caribbean, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Country Bears, stopped at the Frontier Trading Post for a Davy Crockett hat for DS after he saw the baby bear wearing one. As stated, we ate at the LTT when there were characters, it seemed much more fun then. After dinner we did the Haunted Mansion, and watched the nighttime parade, Ok senior moment, I can’t remember the name of it but think it was the electrical parade. Then back to the resort to watch the water pageant.

The next day, day 2, we had breakfast at Whispering Canyon, we informed our server it was my DW birthday and boy did we get roasted. We hit the Magic Kingdom again, rode Dumbo, Peter Pan’s Flight the Speedway, my DS was amazed when I let him drive, we bounced around and I had to press down on the gas pedal but his sheer joy of “driving” makes me stand up for the speedway when people want to put something else there. Next was Carousel of Progress then Stich and the Laugh Floor. We went back to the resort and swam in the pool had a snack and rested. Then we cleaned up and headed to EPCOT by way of MK, monorail and TTC to make the change. We did Spaceship Earth and Test Track; my DS was nervous about it until I told him it was just like being in the car when Mom drives. We had dinner at the Biergarten purchased a pickle for the Christmas tree and watched Illuminations.

Day 3 was EPCOT again, my DW insisted on riding Mission Space, in those days there wasn’t a green or Orange, you got the full effect. It was fun holding the vomit bag up to my DS mouth while my wife yelled “we’re going to die” luckily, we did not have a big breakfast that morning. After that they sat outside very still for about 30 minutes, I went and got water and coke to help settle them down. Then we hit Club Cool and I introduced my son to “Beverly” then we visited Honey I Shrunk the Audience and Ellen’s Energy Adventure. A light lunch at Sunshine Seasons, they still were not very hungry and back for a swim and some rest. That evening we did the Hoop de Doo review. During the show my DS tugged at my sleeve and said to me “Dad this is so corny” I just broke up laughing.

Day 4 was breakfast at Chef Mickey’s my DS liked the waffles and informed me that “next time” we should stay at the Contemporary, which by the way we did. We went to Typhoon Lagoon in the morning. My DW and DS love swimming, and they loved the wave pool although he was only 5, DS could already swim like a proverbial fish. I got in an inner tube and floated around the lazy River until “they” came to get me.

Later we visited what was then MGM Studios and did Disaster Canyon, Back Lot Tour, Great Movie Ride, Indiana Jones, Sounds Dangerous and Star Wars then had Dinner at the Brown Derby. DS still remembers the chicken soup with Mickey pasta.

Day 6 we visited DAK did the Safari first thing then dinosaur, a bug’s life and toured around the park. We only spent half a day there then we went to the Magic Kingdom and had lunch at the Plaza Inn, burgers and shakes. A family came in, they spoke very little English, and the waitress was confused as they keep staring at us and gesturing. I looked over and said “chocolate milkshake” the waitress got it and they all smiled, as we were leaving the father stood and shook my hand. We visited Micky’s Philharmagic and did some of the other attractions again. That night we decided to just resort hop via the monorail and ordered a pizza from room service. I can honestly say it the worst pizza I ever ate.

Day 7 we did rope drop at MGM for Star Wars weekend and again my DS was speechless, this time at the line of storm troopers. We took his picture with all the characters including Darth Vader to whom he bowed and said “Thank you my master” I am still not sure where that came from. We had a hotdog and some snacks during the day and had a belated birthday dinner for DW at the California Grill and watched Wishes from the roof.

The next day we had another breakfast at Whispering Canyon with all the antics and took the DME to the airport and home. I always know my Disney vacation is over when I must handle my own bags from the luggage carousel.

We have made other trips over the years but that first trip, except for the name of the nighttime parade is the one I remember most. Getting old sucks and it is not for sissies.

Thanks for listening.
So this was about 2001 or 2002? Was the wand still on Spaceship Earth? Awesome memory. There is noting better than to experiencing Disney thru the eyes of a child.

zurgandfriend

Original Poster
So this was about 2001 or 2002? Was the wand still on Spaceship Earth? Awesome memory. There is noting better than to experiencing Disney thru the eyes of a child.

Yes the wand was still in place, in fact when we went back after they took it down my DW and DS were upset, they liked it.

PSM

What a great trip report. Enough details to make me feel like I was there but still a quick and enjoyable read. You've inspired me to write my own of our most recent trip after this (I'll probably include some pics but it was only two days lol).

My son is two and my second son is due in less than 8 weeks, so reading this has made me very excited to take them both in a few more years. We'll certainly be going before then but I'm really looking forward to seeing them there when they're around 3 and 5 (not wishing time away, I just know that'll be a fun age to have them both there).

Does your son still enjoy going with you?

zurgandfriend

Original Poster
What a great trip report. Enough details to make me feel like I was there but still a quick and enjoyable read. You've inspired me to write my own of our most recent trip after this (I'll probably include some pics but it was only two days lol).

My son is two and my second son is due in less than 8 weeks, so reading this has made me very excited to take them both in a few more years. We'll certainly be going before then but I'm really looking forward to seeing them there when they're around 3 and 5 (not wishing time away, I just know that'll be a fun age to have them both there).

Does your son still enjoy going with you?
Yes he does. When the World gets back to some degree of normal. We want to go as a graduation present.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom