The Perfect Age?

Perfect age to bring a child or to go to disney for the first time?

• 1 or younger

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • 2-4

Votes: 28 32.9%
  • 5-7

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • 8-12

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • (teenager) 13-19

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • 20's

Votes: 2 2.4%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cococola44

Original Poster
To bring Ds or Dd?

DD is 3 months old...so obviously...not right now...

My mom and dad said that when i was 3 and 4 i was into naps...got fussy and tired...held my ears at some rides sometimes....

So i wondered...what is the idea age to bring a child the first time...in your opinion.

I say around 5 because they remember a whole lot more and they can go on taller rides.

dcibrando

I hear the phrase "they won't remember anything" all the time from people about Disney and those taking young kids

my wife and I just had out first baby last week and plan to take her for the first trip when she is 1 1/2....when people say "they won't remember anything" I usually just say "but they will have a great time while they are there and that's all that matters". Plus let's not forget... you will remember it and get some great photo opportunities with your little ones. Truely a magical experience.

Also, sometimes I say "why buy them certain toys when they are little, they may not remember them either". :)

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
If you take them and pace yourself to their needs and their temperment, you can take them at any age. "Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder.

If you are a commando-style park goer and refuse to adapt to what your child[ren] need, you're bound to have a miserable time. On the other hand, if you accept the slower pace and plan for naps and are willing to change plans if there's a meltdown [some kids never meltdown, others do], your child being with you and seeing you enjoying WDW is bonding time. Whether they remember the trip is irrelevant, they will benefit from the experience of time spent with you being happy.

imagineer boy

I first went to WDW when I was 4 near to turning 5. I do remember bits and pieces of it, but I mostly remember how amazed I was with it all at the time.

magicmaya

1 or younger and keep bringing them every year.In My case I went to disneyland twice a month and disney world once a year.And My parents wonder why i'm so obsessed:lol:

sjead

If you take them and pace yourself to their needs and their temperment, you can take them at any age. "Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder. quote]

:wave: Couldn't agree more!!! I have taken my children at the following ages: 4 months, 10 months, 2, 3, 4, 6, 8. This year they will be 9, 5 and 3. They have always enjoyed themselves to the best of their ability depending on their ages! And so have Mom and Dad. Starting at around age 2 (from my experience), they actually do have memories from the trip in the short term and pictures after we get home help to keep those memories alive!!!

If you would like the children to experience all of the rides, however, height may be a better measurement than age for you.

No matter what, anyone at any age can have a great vacation at WDW!!!

plutoismyhero

I would have to say 5-7 this way they can do alot more. More rides hopefully they wont hate the loud noises and they can walk and dance with the characters and everything all on their own.

DisneyWall-E

My DW and I brought our 3 month old DD to WDW this past Christmas and sure she wont remember anything but the pictures I got of her with my grandparents (her great-grandparents) are priceless to me and my wife.

I hear the phrase "they won't remember anything" all the time from people about Disney and those taking young kids

my wife and I just had out first baby last week and plan to take her for the first trip when she is 1 1/2....when people say "they won't remember anything" I usually just say "but they will have a great time while they are there and that's all that matters". Plus let's not forget... you will remember it and get some great photo opportunities with your little ones. Truely a magical experience.

Also, sometimes I say "why buy them certain toys when they are little, they may not remember them either". :)

As far as this goes, there is enough technology to record the visit and in the future show the children there experience. Take the babys with you and enjoy life with them!!!

daliseurat

Absolutely, PERFECT AGE is in the eye of the beholder. Really, what you need to consider is your particular child and yourselves.

5-7 is great because they can do so much and they will remember it.

2-4 is pretty good, because they will love it and can do a lot. Of course, depends if the child is fussy, whiney, picky, afraid of the dark, and still needs lots of naps. And this means you have to be prepared for disaster and not get upset with them. We took our 2 year old because we had a free hotel and flight. She doesn't remember it. She enjoyed it and so did we at the time, but she needed naps, and we did have to leave the parks early most of the time. But, she got it to the parks FREE, and when we ate at a buffet they didn't charge for her, which was nice. Over all it was fine.

Under 1 is always up for debate. Many people will say it's great, you'll love the memories and they'll enjoy it. Personally, I don't really like to fly with children under the age of one because I don't like exposing them to all those germs that we all breath in over and over on an airplane. I don't like to take a child under one to places as cramped with people and public as WDW either. They also need lots of naps, lots of care and sometimes the stimulation is just too much for them. But it really depends on the child and the parents. Some kids just roll with it, and so do the parents. Just know that traveling with an infant means lots of disruptions to your normal trip. Many folks do it, and love it. I wouldn't, but I also wouldn't tell anyone else they shouldn't.

Just try to think of all the worst case scenarios and be honest with yourself about how you would handle it. The good news is that WDW is really well set up to handle anything that happens with you child no matter what age. Every park has a wonderfully staffed area just for taking care of your children. You can feed them, get diapers, nurse, rock or just take a break. So check out the child care centers ahead of time. And every restaurant we ate in wa great with our little girl.

DizneyPryncess

I don't have any kids yet - but I do have a nephew. He's gone every year since he was 1, and hasn't really remembered much. He's 4 years old now, and we think this year he'll start to remember something, plus he's finally learning how to behave.

I agree that "perfect" is in the eye of the beholder. And it depends on the child too. If my nephew was not so out of control at 2 & 3, the trip might have been a little easier!

Animaniac93-98

I was 5 for my first trip, but I still think 5-7 is best. They are old enough to handle the walking and remember stuff but young enough to enjoy the characters and not be all cynical about it.

Under 5, especially toddlers, I would not recommend for the simple fact that other people are more likely to remember him or her screaming on the plane or in the restaurant than the child enjoying Small World because he or she was too short for Big Thunder and thought Epcot was dull. May sound harsh but the stroller crowd has only proven otherwise to me.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I was 5 for my first trip, but I still think 5-7 is best. They are old enough to handle the walking and remember stuff but young enough to enjoy the characters and not be all cynical about it.

Under 5, especially toddlers, I would not recommend for the simple fact that other people are more likely to remember him or her screaming on the plane or in the restaurant than the child enjoying Small World because he or she was too short for Big Thunder and thought Epcot was dull. May sound harsh but the stroller crowd has only proven otherwise to me.
As has been said, it depends a lot on the parents adjusting to the child's needs. I've seen lots of kids flying without screaming [mine flew lots as a baby, never a whimper] because the parents knew what to do to keep their ears clear and them entertained. Similarly in WDW I've seen lots of perfectly happy babies that were enjoying all the colours and distractions and toddlers that were wonderfully behaved because the parents knew how to keep things at a level they could handle.

The parents who drag their tired or exhausted children screaming through the parks insisting they damn well enjoy themselves or they'll never come to Disney again should be required to get a license before being allowed to procreate... :lookaroun Thankfully not all parents are like that though.

Erika

If you take them and pace yourself to their needs and their temperment, you can take them at any age. "Perfect" is in the eye of the beholder.

Very true!

If you take them a bit younger, it's true they are not tall enough to ride everything. But they're still tall enough to do most, and they are young enough to absolutely believe all of the magic. There are pros and cons to every age, I think. Every age is a different experience :)

NewfieFan

As has been said, it depends a lot on the parents adjusting to the child's needs. I've seen lots of kids flying without screaming [mine flew lots as a baby, never a whimper] because the parents knew what to do to keep their ears clear and them entertained. Similarly in WDW I've seen lots of perfectly happy babies that were enjoying all the colours and distractions and toddlers that were wonderfully behaved because the parents knew how to keep things at a level they could handle.

The parents who drag their tired or exhausted children screaming through the parks insisting they damn well enjoy themselves or they'll never come to Disney again should be required to get a license before being allowed to procreate... :lookaroun Thankfully not all parents are like that though.

Well said! There are well behaved children in the world... but it's usually the "bad" ones that stick out in our memory! If the parents are going at the child's pace... generally you have happier children (not always but generally)!

My children were actually better behaved at WDW then they are at home. It think it was a combination of lots of sights and sounds to entertain them and the fact they pretty much had mommy and daddy's attention the whole time... not something they get in every day life! I would never want to detour someone from taking a vacation with their young child/ren... some of the most special my moments that my "young" family has enjoyed together have been at WDW - and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world! You CAN have a wonderful time at WDW with young children if you adjust your expectations and cater to their needs a little!

sponono88

I was 3 when I first visited DL with my family. I do remember some things.. mostly sounds though! I remember the scary talking skull voice in PotC, the steel drum band in Adventureland playing Under the Sea.. the It's a small world song, and the singing bears from Country Bear Jamboree. I'm 20 years old now.

I think the 3-5 age is a good age for a first-visit. Like I said, while my memories are faint.. I definitely remember my first trip.

happymom52003

Before I had kids, I would have said age 6 or 7.

However....after actually experiencing WDW with my children, I say take them whenever you are ready, no matter how young they are.

My oldest was 4 and our youngest was 12 months on our first trip with the kids....it was pure magic, and it really made us regret not taking our oldest sooner!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom