The Park Formerly Known as Disney's Hollywood Studios? Yep ...

roj2323

With this new information...

A - what on earth would they end up calling it?

B - does that mean a lot more changes and additions besides just Star Wars???

Disney's Florida Adventure --- I hope not ---- I honestly don't know why they can't just keep the name. Is Universal Studios (In orlando) a working studio? It didn't seem likely when I visited. DHS celebrates movies and has attractions based on movies I don't see why that needs to change, just tweak it so the park is more focused and not such a hodge podge.

Big changes wouldn't surprise me. Having worked there, the back half of the park is a mess and realistically they could bulldoze everything past star tours and toy story and most people would be excited about it. Sunset street works and is very popular although it needs larger bathrooms. Hollywood boulevard works as well as a entry. The area around Echo lake is usually pretty dead no matter what time of day it is aside from Indy which still packs the house daily. Great movie ride rarely has a less than a 20 minute wait but most would agree it needs an update. Animation courtyard is crazy popular during the day but the animation building/drawing room/meet and greet is a mess and it confuses the hell out of people not to mention there is a ton of wasted space since the load area of the tram tour is no longer used. I could go on.

SteamboatStitch

Really, even if they do change the name or "focus" of the park, unless they went in there with plenty of cash and rolled up sleeves, I don't see it doing much for them. All of their attractions are their own separate entities with barely anything bringing them together, so unless some serious overhauls are done to existing assets, not a lot is going to change. Of course that's the opinion of an uneducated observer, so what do I know.

comics101

Personally I don't see a problem with the "Studios" name. The only Universal park that's actually a working studio is the one in Hollywood yet all the other parks still have the "Studios" name. Maybe I'm comparing Apples to Oranges here but that's just how I see it. Then again I also couldn't care less about the name if we still get great new rides. Here's hoping Star Wars delivers.

I don't disagree. Personally I'm actually a fan of the studio/"working set" theme, granted I think there's a right way and a wrong way to do it.

The biggest problem I see with this change is a problem every Disney park seems to be experiencing at the moment; slowly but surely Disney is transforming all of their theme parks in MK-lite. Themes are becoming so muddled and watered down, and it's become increasingly clear that neither management nor WDI really seems to care about the issue. It's a shame, because it's what used to set Disney's parks apart from amusement parks all over the world.

Californian Elitist

Disney's Florida Adventure --- I hope not ---- I honestly don't know why they can't just keep the name. Is Universal Studios (In orlando) a working studio? It didn't seem likely when I visited. DHS celebrates movies and has attractions based on movies I don't see why that needs to change, just tweak it so the park is more focused and not such a hodge podge.

The original concept of DHS is a carbon copy of Universal Studios Hollywood, a real studios. Universal Orlando, while not on the same level as USH, also has a working studio. DHS doesn't have an active studio. "Studios" should be removed from its name, in my opinion.

articos

Is Universal Studios (In orlando) a working studio?

Yes, the production studio between the parks is a functioning production facility, although smaller than it started out. The backlot at USF is still advertised and rented for production use if needed. To the contrary, TDO/DHS hasn't been interested in supporting outside production for a number of years, so there isn't an on-site infrastructure to support outside production anymore. Much of the physical plant dedicated to film or tv production has also been altered or removed. It is purely a theme park, unless promoting Disney/ABC product.

Seafury31

They should definitely incorporate a Cars Land. It is very successful in California, although some rides are "toned" down way too much. The Studios has been going down hill for a long time. I used to love the Midler episode on the back stage tour. But I'm sure the contract expired and they did not want to spend the money. The same goes with the removal of Cronkite voice in Space Ship Earth....oh when will they learn.

Vegas Disney Fan

Big changes wouldn't surprise me. Having worked there, the back half of the park is a mess and realistically they could bulldoze everything past star tours and toy story and most people would be excited about it. Sunset street works and is very popular although it needs larger bathrooms. Hollywood boulevard works as well as a entry. The area around Echo lake is usually pretty dead no matter what time of day it is aside from Indy which still packs the house daily. Great movie ride rarely has a less than a 20 minute wait but most would agree it needs an update. Animation courtyard is crazy popular during the day but the animation building/drawing room/meet and greet is a mess and it confuses the hell out of people not to mention there is a ton of wasted space since the load area of the tram tour is no longer used. I could go on.

Disney's Florida Adventure was the name I was thinking of too, although unlike you I really hope they do name it that. HS and DCA share a lot of rides and even some similar themes and it's a good catch all name that won't need to change again even if the focus of the park changes.

I was just saying the other day I hope they bulldoze everything south of Star Tours all the way to TSMM since it would create a huge expansion area that could be used for Star Wars, possibly even enough room for a Star Wars land and a few more Pixar place rides. To me HS feels very similar to DCA before they fixed it, the theme doesn't feel fully developed, it has a few really good rides but is in need of more, it has a few really nice areas but also a couple areas that feel cheap and undeveloped.

I think HS has a lot of potential and could be fixed rather easily if Disney will open up the purse strings a bit like they did with DCA. DCA is amazing and if they add a decent Star Wars land HS could be amazing also.

Seabasealpha1

Um...catchy name...don't have one.

It's not really in California (duh) to say the least...and therefore I haven't been a fan of the DHS name. I didn't mind when they just called it "The Disney Studios" on some of the planning DVDs in the little stretch of time where it seemed like they weren't sure what the heck to call it.

I guess I could settle for Florida Adventure. So long as they just get it right the first time and don't try to can everything about Florida into a theme park experience... That could involve some serious themeing including (but not limited to) a full size space shuttle replica, an orange grove, some nutbar entertainers proclaming the independence of the Conch Republic. Also, perhaps a stand selling alligator nuggets, performances by Lynyrd Skynyrd and Jimmy Buffet, and a large mystical swamp (though TDO will request a mountain) containing a half-working animatronic of the Florida Skunk-Ape...

le sigh...

MerlinTheGoat

So what odds are we talking about that the park will end up better than it is right now? Any reason at all that the change in focus and whatever attractions/rides (if any) planned should warrant some mild excitement? Or even moderate satisfaction? Anything besides profound disappointment or anger is what i'm trying to find.

Trying not to ask questions too specific here as you've said you can't say. But I have to ask this (and feel free to ignore it if you can't say)- have you heard any rumors about how safe The Great Movie ride is? I mean safe from a closure or possible replacement of something inferior. Would be a tragic day to see it closed or mutilated beyond repair like so many other facets of WDW.

Basically looking for some reason not to be afraid, angry or upset regarding WDW's future. Something hopeful in nature for a change. I have my worries that there will actually come a point when even unchanging stagnation is preferable to potentially crippling poor decisions Iger and his buddies could inflict upon the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom