Trip Report The ONE with the Bowl that was not so Super šŸš½ 2/5-2/9, 2021*COMPLETED*

giphy.gif

HA HA HA!!!
Hello everybody! I returned yesterday from a last minute long weekend to WDW.
How? Who? Why? You ask. Well my Magical friends, here is everything you want to know, and maybe some things, you donā€™t.

It all began a few weeks ago at work when my bff/boss suggested we go to Disney for his birthday. I took him last year and we had a great time. We looked at dates and flights and room rates and hemmed and hawed for a couple days. We decided we would go Presidentā€™s weekend. But my kids would be out of school and they would want to go. Then, texting with @Tuvalu she said ā€œyouā€™re going presidentā€™s weekend!?!?šŸ˜³šŸ˜³šŸ˜³ā€

Ok, she didnā€™t say it like that but that is how I heard it in my mind. I said to my friend, M, ā€œwhat the heck are we thinking? Letā€™s go the weekend before.ā€ His sister/business partner/my other boss gave her blessing (then promptly booked a whole week in Florida for herself at the end of the month) and we started looking at rooms.
Pop was cheap with the AP discount so I booked.

We picked out our flights, then added a day and picked out new flights. Friday came, my day off and two weeks before departure and we had decided on everything. All we had to do was book the flights, which were $69 each way. Then I looked again and the flights were down to $49 each way. I texted M, ā€œBOOK BOOK BOOK! This is not a drill!!!ā€

Then Saturday came and I canceled Pop and booked a studio at Saratoga Springs Resort using my DVC points. Bought Mā€™s park ticket and made park reservations and some ADRā€™s. I also filled out the Magical Express request form and ordered a couple t-shirts.

13 days to go and we were all set.

littleroo

I am so sorry this happened to you!! It happened to our family of 4, 6 years ago in Disney. Plus, my mother, a first and last time visiter also had it. It was a very long 48 hours. I luckily recovered quickly. My mom and 10 year old were down for 2 days! I hope you got through it as quickly as I did.

Loving the TR so far except this part!!

Disstevefan1

Saturday February 6th, 2021

I have mentioned before that I am from SoCal originally. Californians are known to be pretentious. I mean, look at me with the SoCal.
would we schitts creek GIF by CBC

Anyhow, I am going to quote myself, please forgive me.

Saturday 3:00am

I awoke, not suddenly like one would from a bad dream but slowly with a feeling of dread, doom and pain, so much pain. My stomach! It was if there were something in there begging to get out. I tried to get up but it felt as if all my muscles had gelatinized. Keeping my eyes closed I pushed back the covers and willed myself to be strong. You are an athlete. You can do this. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing lasts...

I felt my way to my bedroom door, opened it quietly so not to wake M asleep in the living room, made a sharp right and opened the bathroom door, shutting it behind me. Nothing lasts forever. Then a left to open the door to the toilet. No time to clorox wipe anything. I fell to my knees, keeping my eyes closed and my face as far as I could I released the demons trying to escape my stomach. I sat on the floor gasping for breath. Nothing lasts forever. Again and again I forcefully ejected the contents my stomach found objectionable. Eyes still closed I flushed it down then uprighted myself and stumbled to the sink. I was shaking as I washed and dried my hands.

I opened the bathroom door and there was M.
ā€œDid I wake you?ā€
ā€œNo.ā€

I retreated into my bedroom and my half of the bathroom, the half with the tub and the gorgeous sink and the stupid closet that should be a second toilet! I fumbled around for my toothbrush, put some toothpaste on it and brushed my teeth. It felt as if there were something lodged in my throat. Oh my throat, it burned. It felt like road rash with a chunk of asphalt still embedded in it.

With trepidation I took a small sip of water. Mistake. Bed. I needed to lie down. But the bed was so far away. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing lasts forever.

Sleep was elusive and fitful. My body lay still but my mind raced. What the heck is this? Did I drink too much? No, thatā€™s not it. I felt fine before bed. FOOD POISONING! Who? What? Where? What time is it? RotR BG in a few hours. Nothing lasts forever. Sleep. Sleep damn it sleep.

Several times over the next couple hours in my semi sleep state I could hear M get up and make his way to the restroom. Just after 6:00am my stomach woke again, and was still angry albeit not as angry as before. M was in the bathroom and even if he wasnā€™t there was no way I was sticking my face near that bowl again. Nothing lasts forever.

Willpower was the answer. You will not throw up. I grabbed my phone and hustled into my half of the bathroom grabbing the brand new, never been used trash can and sat on the floor leaning against the tub. My body heaved a few times trying to dismiss every last poisonous crumb, but there was none remaining.

Shivering I checked the time. Boarding groups would be dropping in about 10 minutes. I had trained for this and even compromised I could do it. I restarted my phone and switched off wifi. Waiting for My Disney Experience to load I started to burn up. Sweat beaded up around my hairline, my heart thumped audibly, blood swished within my ears. I lay down on the cold tile floor nestling my cheek into the cool comfort. Nothing lasts forever.

Time check: 6:58.
What happens if I get an early boarding group? Can I do this? I donā€™t want to disappoint M. What is worse? Sorry I didnā€™t get it or I got it but I canā€™t go?
7:00
With trembling hands I pushed the join now button then the next join button. I had trained for this. It circled, then it circled again I knew it was too late before the red screen appeared telling me the groups were full. Relief washed over me but it was quickly replaced by nausea. I sat on the floor leaning against the tub with the trash can between my legs.

I needed to tell M so he didnā€™t get up and start getting ready. But I could not stand. My muscles were too weak, my body shaking, switching between shivers and sweats. I crawled to the bedroom door and opened it from the floor. Exhausted I slumped over to regain my strength.
ā€œM???ā€, I called quietly, my throat burning with every syllable.
ā€œI didnā€™t get the boarding group.ā€

M walked over to where I was sprawled on the floor.
ā€œYou okay?ā€ he asked.
ā€œI think I have food poioning and I feel like sh..ā€
ā€œMe too,ā€ he responded, ā€œI have been in the bathroom all night. But I feel a little better now. Can I get you anything?ā€

I must have felt a little better too. I asked for a bag from our groceries so I could line the trash can in case I got sick again. I did not want to ruin a brand new trash can. Even ill I have priorities.

ā€œLets sleep another hour and see how we feel. We donā€™t have a boarding group so we can head to Hollywood anytime we want.ā€

Nothing lasts forever
Very sorry to read you got sick and glad itā€™s not (you know what) and it was just some good olā€™ WDW food poisoning which we as humans also have no natural immunity to.

Once you are over this, I suggest you get some complex carbs in you. May I suggest a nice bagel šŸ„ÆšŸ™‚

Last edited:

93boomer

Premium Member
Saturday February 6th, 2021

I have mentioned before that I am from SoCal originally. Californians are known to be pretentious. I mean, look at me with the SoCal.
would we schitts creek GIF by CBC

Anyhow, I am going to quote myself, please forgive me.

Saturday 3:00am

I awoke, not suddenly like one would from a bad dream but slowly with a feeling of dread, doom and pain, so much pain. My stomach! It was if there were something in there begging to get out. I tried to get up but it felt as if all my muscles had gelatinized. Keeping my eyes closed I pushed back the covers and willed myself to be strong. You are an athlete. You can do this. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing lasts...

I felt my way to my bedroom door, opened it quietly so not to wake M asleep in the living room, made a sharp right and opened the bathroom door, shutting it behind me. Nothing lasts forever. Then a left to open the door to the toilet. No time to clorox wipe anything. I fell to my knees, keeping my eyes closed and my face as far as I could I released the demons trying to escape my stomach. I sat on the floor gasping for breath. Nothing lasts forever. Again and again I forcefully ejected the contents my stomach found objectionable. Eyes still closed I flushed it down then uprighted myself and stumbled to the sink. I was shaking as I washed and dried my hands.

I opened the bathroom door and there was M.
ā€œDid I wake you?ā€
ā€œNo.ā€

I retreated into my bedroom and my half of the bathroom, the half with the tub and the gorgeous sink and the stupid closet that should be a second toilet! I fumbled around for my toothbrush, put some toothpaste on it and brushed my teeth. It felt as if there were something lodged in my throat. Oh my throat, it burned. It felt like road rash with a chunk of asphalt still embedded in it.

With trepidation I took a small sip of water. Mistake. Bed. I needed to lie down. But the bed was so far away. Nothing lasts forever. Nothing lasts forever.

Sleep was elusive and fitful. My body lay still but my mind raced. What the heck is this? Did I drink too much? No, thatā€™s not it. I felt fine before bed. FOOD POISONING! Who? What? Where? What time is it? RotR BG in a few hours. Nothing lasts forever. Sleep. Sleep damn it sleep.

Several times over the next couple hours in my semi sleep state I could hear M get up and make his way to the restroom. Just after 6:00am my stomach woke again, and was still angry albeit not as angry as before. M was in the bathroom and even if he wasnā€™t there was no way I was sticking my face near that bowl again. Nothing lasts forever.

Willpower was the answer. You will not throw up. I grabbed my phone and hustled into my half of the bathroom grabbing the brand new, never been used trash can and sat on the floor leaning against the tub. My body heaved a few times trying to dismiss every last poisonous crumb, but there was none remaining.

Shivering I checked the time. Boarding groups would be dropping in about 10 minutes. I had trained for this and even compromised I could do it. I restarted my phone and switched off wifi. Waiting for My Disney Experience to load I started to burn up. Sweat beaded up around my hairline, my heart thumped audibly, blood swished within my ears. I lay down on the cold tile floor nestling my cheek into the cool comfort. Nothing lasts forever.

Time check: 6:58.
What happens if I get an early boarding group? Can I do this? I donā€™t want to disappoint M. What is worse? Sorry I didnā€™t get it or I got it but I canā€™t go?
7:00
With trembling hands I pushed the join now button then the next join button. I had trained for this. It circled, then it circled again I knew it was too late before the red screen appeared telling me the groups were full. Relief washed over me but it was quickly replaced by nausea. I sat on the floor leaning against the tub with the trash can between my legs.

I needed to tell M so he didnā€™t get up and start getting ready. But I could not stand. My muscles were too weak, my body shaking, switching between shivers and sweats. I crawled to the bedroom door and opened it from the floor. Exhausted I slumped over to regain my strength.
ā€œM???ā€, I called quietly, my throat burning with every syllable.
ā€œI didnā€™t get the boarding group.ā€

M walked over to where I was sprawled on the floor.
ā€œYou okay?ā€ he asked.
ā€œI think I have food poioning and I feel like sh..ā€
ā€œMe too,ā€ he responded, ā€œI have been in the bathroom all night. But I feel a little better now. Can I get you anything?ā€

I must have felt a little better too. I asked for a bag from our groceries so I could line the trash can in case I got sick again. I did not want to ruin a brand new trash can. Even ill I have priorities.

ā€œLets sleep another hour and see how we feel. We donā€™t have a boarding group so we can head to Hollywood anytime we want.ā€

Nothing lasts forever
Oh that is just awful! I cannot imagine being that sick and not being home!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Now your title is making sense
Yep šŸ˜‚šŸš½
I'm betting on the poutine. Hope your day started looking up quickly!
It gets really good!
Gelatinous gravy on your poutine might be the culprit. When in doubt, just blame Canada!
Always do!
Yikes--so sorry you had to go through all that, but very impressive that you still made the effort to try for a BG despite how you were feeling!
I am so happy I did not get the BG! So happy.
Oh how awful. Itā€™s bad enough to be sick like that, but when it isnā€™t in your own home it is even worse šŸ˜• (happened to me years ago in Baja).

Thank you for the kind words. Stay tuned...

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Oh my gosh Darlene, that was such a horrible experience you went through and your writing really brought it to life!:eek: I sure hope you both felt better after going back to bed for a while. My parents got food poisoning at WDW from the hot dog cart in the American Pavilion when we all went to Disney together for the New Year's Eve's Millennium and they were sick as a dog for about four days from it!!!!
Food poisoning is the worst!
canadian comedy GIF by CBC

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I am NOT a snake fan, and would like to think I wouldn't shriek on the grounds of WDW if I saw one there but I would probably not be okay with it, even though I know it's more scared of me than I am of them and it looks like a "garden" snake.

I just discovered the French 75's this year but really enjoy them! Glad you do, too!

That sounds and looks fantastic!! :geek: :geek:

So sorry for your stomach troubles!!!
Aaah, French 75! Thatā€˜s the name.
At the beginning of the lock down @bee talked me into making homemade limoncello. The 75 is great if you replace the lemon juice and simple syrup with the limoncello.
BTW, by great I mean strongšŸ˜‚

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
That sounds awful I'm sorry!
Thanks so much.
I am so sorry this happened to you!! It happened to our family of 4, 6 years ago in Disney.
It happens more than we think. And it can really happen at any restaurant.
Brings new meaning to "Eating at Disney is hard." Feeling sorry for you!
Hahaha! Spot on! Brilliant!!!
Oh you poor thing! I sure hope this makes a turn upward for you!
Upward??
It all came upward šŸ˜‚šŸ¤¢

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Oh no! I am so sorry, what a bummer! I hope it was short lived!
Sarcastic Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

NOT!!!

Once you are over this, I suggest you get some complex carbs in you. May I suggest a nice bagel šŸ„ÆšŸ™‚
Wait, can you even put nice and bagel in the same sentence???

FOLLOWING.... Looking forward to the rest of your trip!
Welcome @LovinMK
Thanks for following along!
Schitts Creek Thank You GIF by CBC

Oh that is just awful! I cannot imagine being that sick and not being home!
Man I wish we had a second bathroom! But we agreed that had we had the studio instead of the one BR it would have been unbearable. Then again, maybe I would have slept on the patio.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Saturday February 6 cont

8:00am

I woke and spoke to M. Yay or nay?
We decided another hour in bed.

9:00am
ā€œDo you picture yourself able to go on Rock n Roller coaster?ā€
We were both a no.
I canceled ALL of our ADRā€™s (fool me once) including the one for beaches n cream for lunch that day. I also canceled our park pass for the day and made a park pass for Tuesday, our departure day.

Then I took one advil and one pepto (still didnā€™t trust my stomach to hold anything down so baby steps) and went back to bed. I slept for two glorious, uninterrupted hours.

I stirred when I heard M get into the shower. When he came out he said he felt loads better and ate a banana! Show off! Then he wanted to discuss what he thought it was that made us sick. He kept saying, ā€œit was the fries it was the fries!ā€
I was totally gagging and politely asked him to stop talking about food.
ā€œOh, sorry. Maybe it was the sauce on the fries.ā€
(where is my brand new trash can? Now with a liner?)

11:30
I mustered the strength to get in the shower and eat a few bites of a banana. What I really needed was yellow gatorade. When I get dehydrated yellow gatorade is my secret potion. But the resorts and parks have blue and red poweraidšŸ‘Ž

We mobile ordered a couple kids meals then walked to the Carriage house and Artistā€™s Palette for lunch.
PB&J for M.
0C354653-A661-422B-882C-80B9B311EE29.jpeg

Kids turkey sandwich for me
5D529D20-4F34-49E2-BB5C-4EC5243ACE9A.jpeg

It was nice and bland. A hamburger bun would not have been my first choice but it worked. We did not eat the grapes or the carrots.

So what made us sick?

We donā€™t really know for sure so I never did call to report it. While the poutine seems like it could be the culprit I doubt it was. There were over twelve hours between when we ate the poutine and we got sick. Generally speaking, illness begins 3-8 hours after ingestion. (Size, metabolism etc play a role).

Dinner seems like the obvious choice but not the entrees. I did not try his burger and he did not try my brisket. Although he did point out that there was brisket in his burger. So maybe. But I donā€™t think so.

The strawberry drink? Perhaps.

Food poisoning has many causes. Sure, serving spoiled food is one cause but there is also cross contamination. A cook or bartender or server might not have washed his or her hands properly. Fresh fruit or veggies might have been contaminated at the farm with tainted water and not washed properly before serving. The water in the dishwasher might not be hot enough to disinfect the plates and flatware. And so on and so on.

Timing wise the cupcakes makes perfect sense but a cupcake is not usually a carrier of food borne illness (unless the people handling the cupcakes contaminated them).

We have landed on the French Fry appetizer as the most likely culprit but we donā€™t know for certain.
6435CB3E-F82C-4510-A07D-AAE5618DEDF3.jpeg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom