Trip Report THE ONE FOR MY BIRTHDAY IN MARCH; 3/15-3/20, 2019 *COMPLETE*

It is official. I am old.

Suddenly my back hurts, my eyesight is failing and I cant remember too good. Or is it too well? I cant remember.

A few months ago when my husband Ant asked me what I wanted to do for this milestone birthday (my Grandma told me a lady never reveals her age, but it has a zero at the end) I said, “NO PARTY!” Instead I wanted to be with my family and go to Disney. And that is what I did.

If you have read my previous TR’s you may recognize some of the cast, if not, dont worry. Here is a cheat sheet.

Husband-Ant
Sons: X- 19, AJ-15, Dre-13

Of course what would a trip be without pretrip drama. Ours was brought to us courtesy of AJ’s high school lacrosse coach.
Briefly, AJ decided last year, about the time he broke his foot, that school and homework weren't cool. He lost his way a little bit and is academically ineligible at the moment for sports. However, he has been working hard and his english and math grades are still a bit dismal, but he is above 80 in everything else. His lax coach has been a complete jerk. He is a total and he bullies and picks on the kids relentlessly. (My oldest, X was a saint compared to most boys and he got the full brunt of this tyrant!) The sad thing is, up until a year ago when he retired, he was a dean at the school. His job was to stop the very behavior that he IS.
AJ was a returning varsity player but the coach gave his jersey number to an incoming freshman. But, we were required to buy a “gear package” that was personalized with his number. Luckily we only got the jacket and have not paid for it yet. We will not pay for it if AJ does not get his number. (The freshman? Doesnt even want the number!)
We made our flight for Friday March 15 at 6:00 pm so the kids could go to school and any practice they would have that day. Turns out there was a lax scrimmage that night. But AJ cant play remember. There was also practice the next morning. Ant emails the coach explaining its my birthday, Disney, going to X’s game etc. Coach emails back, “Saturday practice 10-12.” Ugggh
We rebook AJ on a Saturday flight. Get my FIL to help out and line up a ride and place for AJ to sleep etc. Then on Wed before we are set to leave (2 days before) Ant has a chat with the coach about withholding AJ’s number and the trip. Coach says, “take him. I was going to email you right back but I felt stupid.”
So now we had to change AJ’s flight once again. I was happy we were all flying together but what a jerk! Oh and AJ’s number? He didnt want to “reward” him for his behavior. I really hate that man. (BTW: that number had also been X’s number and it had been forced on AJ the year before by the players and the coach. It worked out because all of X’s old sweats and shirts have that number. Hand me downs!)

But on to the good!!

Day 1/ March 15

I opened birthday presents at home

Then we were off to the airport. The HS where the lax scrimmage was being held was on our way so we stopped and watched from the car for a few minutes.

Then we were on our way to Florida!

Fire Island looks so pretty from up here!

I wore my ears on the plane and all the way to the resort. It was my birthday and I was going to celebrate it. Nobody even looked twice.

Funny story. At one point during the flight I was putting on some hand lotion (my old skin dries out so fast😉). It was, of course, some leftover H2O lotion from our February trip. A little girl behind me said to her mom, “Mom! It smells like Disney!” I love it!!!

It took awhile to get the rental car but we were here at last!!!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day one/ March 15 cont

I need to go back to the airport for a minute to share something funny with you. (For some reason my pixs are out if order in my phone. Why would that happen?)

It is a small local airport. We got through security and went upstairs to wait by our gate and find some dinner and we saw this:

Yes it is a 20 but at quick glance it looks like a different number. AJ said, “mom, dad called ahead and had them decorate our gate for you.”
Turns out southwest was celebrating their 20th.

Flash back over. Back to TotWL.
Lorraine made me another Kir Royal “to go”. We did not eat all the cake, we boxed it up to share with the kids. They did not love it like we did.

Palm trees

These were in the lobby and clearly were not live. Although the trunks were made from once live palm tree bark.

Also in the lobby. Pretty.

Sleeping beauty? Good job on the bed making!

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Also, and this is not a Disney specific complaint but goes out to the industry as a whole. You want us to reuse our towels. At dvc we need to reuse our towels. But there is never enough space/hooks/bars to hang them on. This is a huge pet peeve of mine. I will use the towel for a couple of days but not if it is wadded up on the floor. Hooks people!!! Take down some of the lame artwork and give us a couple hooks!!!

🙌🏻 So true. DH is constantly forgetting which towel is his too. Not a big deal because we typically have extra towels but I would go as far as to stay I would like different colored or shaped or differently located hooks to aid people such as DH to remember their towel.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Yay! I'm in! I celebrated my last big birthday that ended in a 0 at Disney, and really hoping I can spend the next one (it will be the one you just celebrated) there too!! I'm hoping that Brian will be ready to return in 4 1/2 more years!! Can't wait to hear about this trip!
Thanks for following!
All birthdays should be spent at Disney! Are you listening, Brian???

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day 2/March 16

Ant was snoring so sleep was fitful and scarce for me. I was up by 7 and went to take a shower. It was going to be cold today. And freezing the rest if the week!!!

Here are some bathroom photos.

It was nice, clean but small.
Speaking of small. With the sofa pulled out into a bed there was no where to put the cushions from the couch and nowhere to sit. Dre solved both problems at once.

The morning was foggy.

We had a great view. No castle but we could see far and wide.

The pool. Not from our room but from the hallway.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day 2/ March 16 cont

There was a long wait for the elevator so we took the stairs. Ever notice how the stairs look the same whether you are at Disney World, a mall, hospital, public high school etc..?

We went to get breakfast at Contempo Cafe. AJ wasnt hungry so he stayed behind.
My new cup.

This was really good. Ant had one too but he said it didnt agree with his stomach. WHAT??? Ant has a steel stomach. Nothing ever bothers him.

Dre’s food. Mickey Waffle I see you!!!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day 2/March 16 cont

I brought AJ a smoothie and cereal. What was he doing while we were eating?

I love that kid!!!
Is that the coolest, sweetest, most thoughtful and sneakiest thing you have ever seen? Plus bonus points for giving me an excuse to get my toes in the sand.

The boys had been complaining that they were tired of Disney. What??? Are you sure you are my children? The fruit of my loom. Or is it loin? Seriously people, my mind is going.

I like to do new things on each trip so today we went golfing. The miniature kind.

They look happy dont they? We had fun and the place is so cute! Plus they were playing surf/xmas music. They even played The Ventures! They performed at my high school way back in the day. Good times.

The theming is really cute. The course is on the easy side, I still got my butt kicked.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Day 2/March 16

We drove to golf because we had somewhere to be that night. But first we drove here:

We always use the buses so driving was another first for us.

This guy was doing the Saturday night fever dance.

He was totally rocking out!

The tram! Another first for us. People ask how we can go to Disney so much. They ask if it gets boring. How can it be boring when there is always something new to experience.

The boys headed to the boneyard.

I tried to rope drop this snack stand but he was taking forever.

I gave up and went elsewhere. I wanted this!
It was after 10:00.

Ant and I got in line for Finding Nemo while the boys had a FP for Primeval Whirl.

TheMouseFan

Aww, how sweet of AJ to leave you a message in the sand!! We loved Winter Summerland! It was a nice break from the parks. As I was scrolling through your pics, I was trying to figure out how I missed some of the details you obviously found, then I realized that we had played winter and you had played summer! You aren't the only one who is losing it!! Getting old stinks!!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Aww, how sweet of AJ to leave you a message in the sand!! We loved Winter Summerland! It was a nice break from the parks. As I was scrolling through your pics, I was trying to figure out how I missed some of the details you obviously found, then I realized that we had played winter and you had played summer! You aren't the only one who is losing it!! Getting old stinks!!
I love this. How thoughtful! What an awesome kid.
That kid really has his moments!!!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Now for a commercial break

Just a little diddie about what i did today. My friends took me to see Frozen on broadway for my birthday.

Walking to lunch we saw this.

Lunch at Johns pizza on 44th. This pizza has ruined me for all other pizza!!!

Then we hit up the Disney store in Times Square.

Then we headed to the St James theatre.

The show was fabulous! The special effects were totally Disney worthy. For me, the young version of Anna stole the show!!! (And yes our seats were very far away!!)

I kept wondering where Ben was...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom