Trip Report THE ONE FOR MOTHER’S DAY IN MAY (duh)🥑COMPLETE🥑

Welcome home!
Said no one in my house upon my return.

Who went? Well.....if you have read any of my previous trip reports (Christmas, February, March and April) you know I multitask when in Florida. This trip was no different. My oldest son, X, was finishing up his second year of college in SoFlo and I went down to help him pack up and move out.
The original plan (why is there always a plan A, B.. etc?) was to pack him up, drive his truck to WDW and put it on a transport. Then we would spend a few days in WDW and fly home. I even bought the plane tickets. But, do you know how much it cost to transport his car from Florida to Long Island? Just north of OMG!!!! Plan B: no transport, no flight home. We would be driving. We also had to trim 1.5 days from our Disney stay to allow for travel time. (Heavy sigh)

We stayed at Saratoga Springs in a studio,
May 10-13. I bought him a two day park hopper as he does not have an AP like the rest of the family.

Ok, we have the who, what, where, when and why. Lets get to it!

DAY ONE/MAY 10
I woke up at 4:00 am and left the house at 4:43. Ant drove me to the airport and we got there at 4:57 (he was driving slow this morning). My flight was at 6:10 going into Fort Lauderdale. My son’s school is equidistant between FLL and West Palm (PBI) and they both have the early morning flight. One is 6:00am and one is 6:10am so I usually book the cheapest. However, if I am renting a car I prefer FLL. PBI has their car rental offsite and it can be a hassel.

The morning before, at 6:10am I had checked in and gotten A37😮. What? I havent seen the A’s since SW started charging for better boarding assignments. Maybe the flight is empty?

The flight was not empty! The announcement came that there would be about 10 empty seats. I sat in an aisle in row 4. ROW 4!!!!
There was a gentleman at the window and our middle seat remained empty. Go figure. I have decided that I do not love sitting up that close. I am not sure why but it felt different, bumpier or something. Perhaps I was thrown off because I had a shortened horizon to look at? Or maybe I am just used to the back? Who knows.

It was an uneventful flight and we landed 20 minutes early. My son had a 10:00am final (seriously, who gives finals on the very last day of class?) and couldn’t be there when I landed. I could wait but it would take him 30 minutes each way which would have us close to noon. We still had a few trips to make to the storage unit and I wanted to be on the road to Disney by 1:00. We decided I would Uber.

Walking to the ride share area I passed the shuttle for the tri-rail. The tri-rail is a train that originates in Miami. I am not sure how far north it goes, I think it goes to West Palm. Thus the tri, as in three airports (I think). Anyhow, there is a station not 5 minutes from my son’s school. I made a mental note to look into that for next time.

I found Marco, my Uber driver and said, “hello, how are you today?” He said, “NO English”. Great. We hit some traffic and my 30 minute $36 drive became a 45 minute just shy of $50 (with tip) drive. On the plus side, I had time to research the tri-rail. If I read correctly there is a Free shuttle from FLL to the station and my trip to Boca Raton would cost $5! and take 30 minutes. Sorry Marco. No more Uber from FLL for me!

I had Marco drop me at a Dunkin Donuts near my sons school. (Yes, @VincciL , the one on Yamato). I got a tea and an egg sandwich and sat at a table outside.
415A5CA5-7670-4FED-A244-535627AF655A.jpeg

D86F8398-A580-4E45-B56F-52BFAC308651.jpeg

87ACDBA1-69DC-464A-ADDD-85F2AB685EE9.jpeg

It sprinkled the entire time. Of course it did. It’s ME!!! This picture is of the sprinkles on the table.
663C240E-22D0-4E61-B394-F2A9D8F77CE5.jpeg

This picture is of a lovely palm tree I was sitting under.
400B5237-670A-4B96-BB7E-46B33C652375.jpeg

I do love palm trees.

I was sitting there, eating, checking TR’s to see what @Back!Elbow!Shoulders! @NunuBelle and @NothatDonald were up to in their livish reports. I also knew @Tuvalu had left the day before and wanted to see if she made it home safely. A man pulls into a parking spot just in front of me. Then another man drives up and words are exchanged. Man1 cut off man2 or something. Man1 invites man2 to say it to his face. Man2 parks. Man1 gets out of his car and he is a huge bald guy (why are the always bald?) Man2 gets out of his car and he is smaller than man1 but not small. They are yelling, cursing etc. Man1 gets in man2’s face. Man2 pushes man1 away. Uh oh. Do I call 911? This is not going to end well. Man1 just keeps going back in man2’s face. Man 2 is, esentially cornered and keeps pushing man1 away. What do I do? Millers Ale house had just opened and I was hoping someone in there, having dealt with belligerent drunks, would know what to do. A scrawny, barely post pubescent guy comes out of Millers. Really? But another guy and his wife happen to be walking by and the guy (we can call him guy3) is bigger than man1 and man2 put together. Now man1 is throwing out racial slurs (man2 is hispanic man1 has to be a FLID) guy3 puts himself between the men. Man2 says he just wanted a cup of coffee. Guy3 says “I will buy you that cup of coffee” and walks him into DD with his arm still around him. Man1 turns to run his errand, notices me for the first time and says “sorry, that was bad” then went into Jersey Mikes to get his sandwich.

All before 11:00am.

Songbird76

Been catching up on this report all day today! Just a few random comments.

1. I am very pro guac, I can put it on nearly anything!
2. When I was your sons age I was so clueless about when girls were flirting too! I still am really but now I have a wife to point these things out to me, lol.

Also I’ve never been to Florida during love bug season, but a few years ago hurricane Harvey blew the swarm north to our part of Texas, I remember them having a very distinct acidic smell that I hated!
Boys don't do subtle. Not just with flirting, but with anything. In my experience, you have to be very clear and almost blunt, because they just don't get hints.

Songbird76

I’d like to join in on the guac talk, but after 19 years, I still haven’t tried guacamole. (😲 what?!) Honestly, that stuff looks nasty. Wait, so does this mean I’m team No Guac? :hilarious:
I'm 42 and I have only had it once on a tostada in a Mexican restaurant and it was also piled high with other stuff, so I couldn't taste the guac. I'm a little scared to try it just by itself.

Also, I'm noticing some people say guac, and some say quac....why is that?

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
You could try it this weekend and then report your verdict to @Darstarr ;)
It is easy to make. My 19 YO made it last night. He was so cute, “Mom, was that sunflower seeds they put on top of the quac in Disney?”
“No, it was pumpkin seeds.”
“But I like sunflower seed.”
“You’re not pitching 6 innings! Leave the seeds off!”

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Ok everyone. Carnitas/guac/margarita part deux!!!

Tonight I made Carnitas. They were awesome! Way better than Frontera’s!
FE44D0DA-B763-42EB-AEA1-50FEB65848F4.jpeg

And so easy!!!

I also made Jicama watermelon slaw.
D21CF895-4F7E-48E4-8F4B-56F6550F5E75.jpeg

As I suspected, it was the perfect accompaniment!

I also made the asparagus guacamole recipe @PacNWTigger gave me. That went something like this:
“Boys, I tried something different. The avocados at the store were not ripe (not a lie) so I made this in the ninja (also not a lie).”
It was really smooth and creamy. Too smooth! Too creamy! They tasted it.
“Tastes the same but it smells like broccoli.”
Ha ha ha!!!
“Is this the container you put the broccoli cheddar soup in?”
“I dont think so.” (It wasnt)
Anyhow, when all was said and done, they didnt eat it. Swing and a miss.
27FF9DB3-3E6E-48BB-AD01-367B88B6C321.jpeg

While I was preparing everything I replicated the margarita from Frontera.
60B5B178-0C8A-49CF-A50D-6D68AA2F64B9.jpeg

EBFDE4DF-43DA-407A-AD4A-24579BBC30DE.jpeg

This was X giving it the thumbs up, but it was not as good as Fronteras. 1 for 2.

69C443E6-C2C2-4460-8AF9-4621C14592F4.jpeg

A97CDE58-692C-416D-9A29-2A7909990964.jpeg

Dinner was amazing! I will never order Carnitas out again.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Ok everyone. Carnitas/guac/margarita part deux!!!

Tonight I made Carnitas. They were awesome! Way better than Frontera’s!
View attachment 378429
And so easy!!!

I also made Jicama watermelon slaw.
View attachment 378427
As I suspected, it was the perfect accompaniment!

I also made the asparagus guacamole recipe @PacNWTigger gave me. That went something like this:
“Boys, I tried something different. The avocados at the store were not ripe (not a lie) so I made this in the ninja (also not a lie).”
It was really smooth and creamy. Too smooth! Too creamy! They tasted it.
“Tastes the same but it smells like broccoli.”
Ha ha ha!!!
“Is this the container you put the broccoli cheddar soup in?”
“I dont think so.” (It wasnt)
Anyhow, when all was said and done, they didnt eat it. Swing and a miss.
View attachment 378432

While I was preparing everything I replicated the margarita from Frontera.
View attachment 378425

View attachment 378426

This was X giving it the thumbs up, but it was not as good as Fronteras. 1 for 2.

View attachment 378428

View attachment 378430

Dinner was amazing! I will never order Carnitas out again.
I'll be there in half an hour! 😋
That is, IF your boys left anything! 😄

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
DAY TWO/MAY 11 cont

We continued down the Maharaja Jungle Trek and saw some type of buffalo. My notes say tree buffalo but that cant be right. Maybe I meant buffalo by the tree??? As if there are any other buffalo in the photo. Regardless, the interesting thing is, these three ladies are named Dorothy, Blanch and Rose.
View attachment 378136

View attachment 378139
(There are three but I dont seem to have captured them all together.)

I admit it, I am a closet Golden Girls fan. Anyone else?

I love me some Golden Girls! It blew my kid mind to see the house front on the Backlot Tour.

Also where is buffalo Sophia!??

(My core group of friends in college had many a late night chatting and eating dessert around a kitchen table and so one of the many names we had for ourselves was the golden girls. I was unanimously voted the Sophia of the group.)

MickeyCB

DAY TWO/MAY 11 cont

There were two things I wanted to accomplish at Animal Kingdom today. One was to ride FoP standby✔
The other was to see the baby gorilla, Grace.
She had been born about a week earlier and the funny thing is, my friend and her daughter were in Cincinnati at her niece’s graduation and her niece’s name is Grace.
My friend’s daughter is a huge Disney fan so I had to text them the good news as soon as I heard it.

X and I entered Gorilla Falls.
Zebra
View attachment 378155

Then we go to the viewing glass and nothing. The big silverback, Gino, I think his name is, is always in his spot farthest to the right of the glass. The juvenile brothers are usually picking on their sister and the mamas are always nearby. Today I saw this:
View attachment 378156

Yes, another cardinal. And behind it, hard to see but there by the lettuce is a rabbit. A rabbit is feasting on the gorillas breakfast!!! They must have been inside right? No! According to the CM, all the gorillas, including Grace and mom were out. It was 10:35 and although it was warm it was not mid day sun. Where could they be? The CM said they like to hang out by the tunnel entrance to their indoor space to keep cool.

“Soooooooooo.....they are inside?”
“No, they are out.”
(Sure! And the path from Pandora to Africa is open.)

We walked around to the bachelor enclosure and there by the waterfall was a gorilla. He looks like he is contemplating life. (He is very dark and in the shadows but zoom in. He is there.)
View attachment 378157

Strike two. Lets eat! At least I know Satuli Canteen is a homerun!!
Empty. It was barely 11:00.
View attachment 378158

We still had a bit of a wait as there were only a couple registers open. The CM who directs traffic was making small talk and asked us where we were from. I asked where he was from and he said, “earth.” Oh no I thought. Is he a “they?” Then he clarified, “see, it says so right here on my name tag”, gesturing to his name tag.
Duh!!!!!
We are in PANDORA! He is from EARTH. The detail is amazing!
He said he was looking to transfer to Batuu. I said, “are you sure? That is in a galaxy far far away.” (I was totally trying to make up for my Duh moment). He laughed and sent us to register #3.

I ordered potato hash with chicken and creamy herb dressing.
View attachment 378160

X had noodles with shrimp and the creamy herb dressing.
View attachment 378159

While waiting for our food the CM was totally flirting with X. “Is this your first time eating here?” (Eyelash bat)
X oblivious as always.
Me “I have been here but it is his first time.”
“Ohhhh (bat, bat). Pick a dessert, on me!”
We got this
View attachment 378162

So how was the homerun you ask?
X hated it!
The noodles are tossed in sesame oil it would seem. He did not like that! He liked the shrimp. And he loved the pandorian sunrise he got to drink.
View attachment 378161

We both hated that awful blue dessert. I had tried it before and I am still not a fan. Two men next to us had gotten it and X and I agreed to wait and watch their reaction when they tried it. They thought it was ok. (We asked) Rats! I was expecting something along the lines of The Beverley face😜
So even though you were in Animal Kingdom, X didn't recognize the mating dance of the CM girl in her native Pandorian habitat?

And I love the blue stuff! Much more delicious than the grey stuff!

dizfan917

ooooh! that jicama slaw looks REALLY good! nice job.

I just returned from a visit to San Diego where I had to endure 2 days worth of the staff in the store I was visiting telling me how WONDERFUL avocados are... blah, blah, blah... :geek: I would try @bee 's guacamole if she made it for me. I'm all for delicious, if she can convince me!!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
So even though you were in Animal Kingdom, X didn't recognize the mating dance of the CM girl in her native Pandorian habitat?

And I love the blue stuff! Much more delicious than the grey stuff!
Or the green stuff!!!🥑

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
ooooh! that jicama slaw looks REALLY good! nice job.

I just returned from a visit to San Diego where I had to endure 2 days worth of the staff in the store I was visiting telling me how WONDERFUL avocados are... blah, blah, blah... :geek: I would try @bee 's guacamole if she made it for me. I'm all for delicious, if she can convince me!!
The hardest part of that jicama slaw was remembering where I put my mandoline.

Where in San Diego were you? I was being recruited to play at SDSU but at the last minute picked an east coast school. To think, if things were different, I might be in the pro avocado camp right now🤯

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom