Trip Report THE ONE FOR MOTHER’S DAY IN MAY (duh)🥑COMPLETE🥑

Welcome home!
Said no one in my house upon my return.

Who went? Well.....if you have read any of my previous trip reports (Christmas, February, March and April) you know I multitask when in Florida. This trip was no different. My oldest son, X, was finishing up his second year of college in SoFlo and I went down to help him pack up and move out.
The original plan (why is there always a plan A, B.. etc?) was to pack him up, drive his truck to WDW and put it on a transport. Then we would spend a few days in WDW and fly home. I even bought the plane tickets. But, do you know how much it cost to transport his car from Florida to Long Island? Just north of OMG!!!! Plan B: no transport, no flight home. We would be driving. We also had to trim 1.5 days from our Disney stay to allow for travel time. (Heavy sigh)

We stayed at Saratoga Springs in a studio,
May 10-13. I bought him a two day park hopper as he does not have an AP like the rest of the family.

Ok, we have the who, what, where, when and why. Lets get to it!

DAY ONE/MAY 10
I woke up at 4:00 am and left the house at 4:43. Ant drove me to the airport and we got there at 4:57 (he was driving slow this morning). My flight was at 6:10 going into Fort Lauderdale. My son’s school is equidistant between FLL and West Palm (PBI) and they both have the early morning flight. One is 6:00am and one is 6:10am so I usually book the cheapest. However, if I am renting a car I prefer FLL. PBI has their car rental offsite and it can be a hassel.

The morning before, at 6:10am I had checked in and gotten A37😮. What? I havent seen the A’s since SW started charging for better boarding assignments. Maybe the flight is empty?

The flight was not empty! The announcement came that there would be about 10 empty seats. I sat in an aisle in row 4. ROW 4!!!!
There was a gentleman at the window and our middle seat remained empty. Go figure. I have decided that I do not love sitting up that close. I am not sure why but it felt different, bumpier or something. Perhaps I was thrown off because I had a shortened horizon to look at? Or maybe I am just used to the back? Who knows.

It was an uneventful flight and we landed 20 minutes early. My son had a 10:00am final (seriously, who gives finals on the very last day of class?) and couldn’t be there when I landed. I could wait but it would take him 30 minutes each way which would have us close to noon. We still had a few trips to make to the storage unit and I wanted to be on the road to Disney by 1:00. We decided I would Uber.

Walking to the ride share area I passed the shuttle for the tri-rail. The tri-rail is a train that originates in Miami. I am not sure how far north it goes, I think it goes to West Palm. Thus the tri, as in three airports (I think). Anyhow, there is a station not 5 minutes from my son’s school. I made a mental note to look into that for next time.

I found Marco, my Uber driver and said, “hello, how are you today?” He said, “NO English”. Great. We hit some traffic and my 30 minute $36 drive became a 45 minute just shy of $50 (with tip) drive. On the plus side, I had time to research the tri-rail. If I read correctly there is a Free shuttle from FLL to the station and my trip to Boca Raton would cost $5! and take 30 minutes. Sorry Marco. No more Uber from FLL for me!

I had Marco drop me at a Dunkin Donuts near my sons school. (Yes, @VincciL , the one on Yamato). I got a tea and an egg sandwich and sat at a table outside.
415A5CA5-7670-4FED-A244-535627AF655A.jpeg

D86F8398-A580-4E45-B56F-52BFAC308651.jpeg

87ACDBA1-69DC-464A-ADDD-85F2AB685EE9.jpeg

It sprinkled the entire time. Of course it did. It’s ME!!! This picture is of the sprinkles on the table.
663C240E-22D0-4E61-B394-F2A9D8F77CE5.jpeg

This picture is of a lovely palm tree I was sitting under.
400B5237-670A-4B96-BB7E-46B33C652375.jpeg

I do love palm trees.

I was sitting there, eating, checking TR’s to see what @Back!Elbow!Shoulders! @NunuBelle and @NothatDonald were up to in their livish reports. I also knew @Tuvalu had left the day before and wanted to see if she made it home safely. A man pulls into a parking spot just in front of me. Then another man drives up and words are exchanged. Man1 cut off man2 or something. Man1 invites man2 to say it to his face. Man2 parks. Man1 gets out of his car and he is a huge bald guy (why are the always bald?) Man2 gets out of his car and he is smaller than man1 but not small. They are yelling, cursing etc. Man1 gets in man2’s face. Man2 pushes man1 away. Uh oh. Do I call 911? This is not going to end well. Man1 just keeps going back in man2’s face. Man 2 is, esentially cornered and keeps pushing man1 away. What do I do? Millers Ale house had just opened and I was hoping someone in there, having dealt with belligerent drunks, would know what to do. A scrawny, barely post pubescent guy comes out of Millers. Really? But another guy and his wife happen to be walking by and the guy (we can call him guy3) is bigger than man1 and man2 put together. Now man1 is throwing out racial slurs (man2 is hispanic man1 has to be a FLID) guy3 puts himself between the men. Man2 says he just wanted a cup of coffee. Guy3 says “I will buy you that cup of coffee” and walks him into DD with his arm still around him. Man1 turns to run his errand, notices me for the first time and says “sorry, that was bad” then went into Jersey Mikes to get his sandwich.

All before 11:00am.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
DAY ONE/MAY 10 cont

I had gotten the room ready email about 4:00. I sign up for the texts but always get the email (when I get anything that is). I had requested Congress Park and had gotten it. Building 10! Closest to Disney Springs. I wanted to come in the back way but waze was sending X through the front and I didnt want to stress him out after he had been nice enough to drive the entire way. It was fine, we kept driving passed the Carriage house and straight to Congress Park.

63C7039B-79AF-4FCB-8A81-3EAEE3C039EA.jpeg

This was the first thing I saw. Such a happy feeling!
24FC358D-ED34-495D-9CD4-DF83802A2C0C.jpeg

Some room pictures. SSR studio in case I forgot to say that before (or you forgot😎)
0A7DACB3-60EE-4D55-B132-B04FF60E79E6.jpeg

7902A590-15C4-4228-B71D-22865BB62173.jpeg

B472A3E9-B2AB-41BA-A894-8526A0643937.jpeg

D0412778-AE71-45ED-9087-886A7B575FF7.jpeg

X had claimed the couch even though I told him I would take it. I find the couches are usually pretty firm and I like that. He said no way, I was to have the bed. I really wish I could have had the couch. The bed was so soft, my back was not happy!
256D0997-84AA-4C2A-9E72-B66E58839B74.jpeg

42904B22-4129-4D91-8C97-737E3D492F24.jpeg

The view from our balcony.
9DFF0A53-C361-4BAD-8E0C-1A6B9D59D816.jpeg

B1EFDEC5-93A5-4228-8A4F-D4080318391C.jpeg

DisneyGigi

I feel like you, X and B would get along great with the cooler packing. He has a method that I am not allowed to touch, with the cooler he puts in the beach cart. It must be an art lol! Yet, he does not understand why all my cabinets have to have labels facing out and lined up. (Personally, I think he just doesn’t want to help put up groceries.) 😑
Love the Mickey coasters laid out!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
DAY ONE/MAY 10 cont

X had his computer and xbox in the car so he went down to get those and bring them in the room. Better safe than sorry! The only downside to this building is people parking in our lot to walk to DS. Usually it is other SSR guests staying at the other end of the property (I have done it) but it brings in a larger transient population than normal.

While he did that I went to get some ice. We didnt really need it for the Yeti but we had some Titos and pineapple juice that could use it😜

This is looking out from the front of the building that faces the parking lot.
2517CD22-5E2A-4DB9-88BC-A99575A2EEFF.jpeg

The horses on the light are cute.
D1C442EE-5184-4228-98DA-0C20D8CA0B7A.jpeg

9D17314B-C4E3-49C7-A758-D6E2227A2DE1.jpeg

EDCE0318-1941-4E10-8BEA-049F278F574F.jpeg

DEC16BF1-1976-4A70-9C9C-DC1D8F543E32.jpeg

94180B53-C503-499A-A746-7C353CFB7D07.jpeg

31CF1CAA-0AAA-40F3-8AAA-6C2C7DBBA3CE.jpeg

Found it!
B6959E8C-2C6C-4B58-AE50-70DC11B1A071.jpeg

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I feel like you, X and B would get along great with the cooler packing. He has a method that I am not allowed to touch, with the cooler he puts in the beach cart. It must be an art lol! Yet, he does not understand why all my cabinets have to have labels facing out and lined up. (Personally, I think he just doesn’t want to help put up groceries.) 😑
Love the Mickey coasters laid out!
The best part is I can be driving with one hand and fishing around in the cooler with the other and I know where everything is. It is easier than waking the “co pilot”!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
DAY ONE/MAY 10 cont

We showered and changed, we were both pretty ripe from the move and the drive.
When I saw X at Easter I asked him, “Mexican or Italian?” He wanted Mexican. We had a 7:00 pm ADR at Frontera Cocina. Around 6:30 we wandered out the back door of our building towards DS.
F729B182-E452-40D6-9643-B3B19077F1AA.jpeg

Such a beautiful night! I must admit I might have already had two beers. The first one went down so easily after the long day. The second I sipped on the balcony while X showered. (And X put the ice to good use while I showered)

This is how close we were to DS. I love the music they play on the bridge just ahead (and in all the marketplace but I can only hear it on the quiet bridge). Sometimes, when I need a pick me up, I will listen to it on YouTube.
C19C12DE-9E1E-47DE-98AB-315CC452F3BB.jpeg

B92B553E-3E83-4AB9-A085-1D5840BD8550.jpeg

We were sat pretty quickly. For a Fiday night at 7:00 the restaurant was pretty empty. Except at the bar. Hmmmmm
28CD2020-C7E4-4DD3-BFAE-F0FDDE38DB6D.jpeg

X needs a haircut. He got one when we got home.
DC42EAC7-2744-4C54-8DC4-CAA91658C5FB.jpeg

77BD9657-93A1-4F7F-AFA4-F8B42AF802B2.jpeg

0DB46893-6CFD-42E2-A393-0CF7BD28EF71.jpeg

I havent had a margarita in years. Tale as old as time, too much cuervo one night then never again! However, on Cinco de Mayo we went to my BIL’s and he was making margaritas with fresh squeezed lime juice and some good tequila his friend (whose best friend owns a liquor store) recommended. I was telling X the story how his Uncle J recommended some tequila made by George Clooney. He said it was “like the Tito’s of tequila.” (*remember this!)

Our server was named Uriel and I explained my aversion to tequila but mostly bad tequila. He explained about agave and reposada and this and that and remember I was two beers in so I had no idea what the heck he was talking about. I told him bring me something he thinks I would like. We agreed, the worst thing that could happen was I did not like it. X ordered a “traditional on the rocks with salt”. Turns out that is what I ordered too!!! Hey!!!
Actually, we ordered the Topolo Margarita which was :
Milagro resposado tequila, orange liquor and housemade limonada.

Which was absolutely delicious! Who knew?
E19E6A7F-F3E4-4E31-9228-604FAD6A3867.jpeg

It was so good that when I got near the bottom I asked for a straw so I could get every last drop. When Uriel brought me the straw he told me it was made of agave (but wait, wasnt agave bad???)
06F95332-1BEB-4BA9-B1D6-F09E851D1EA3.jpeg

B988DAE8-4BEB-4AA3-B26E-7A8F8F0AA53E.jpeg

That is actually the second margarita you see in the photo above. I would not let him clear margarita number one until it was bone dry. Yes, it was that delicious!

Last edited:

Rista1313

DAY ONE/MAY 10 cont

We showered and changed, we were both pretty ripe from the move and the drive.
When I saw X at Easter I asked him, “Mexican or Italian?” He wanted Mexican. We had a 7:00 pm ADR at Frontera Cocina. Around 6:30 we wandered out the back door of our building towards DS.
View attachment 374462

Such a beautiful night! I must admit I might have already had two beers. The first one went down so easily after the long day. The second I sipped on the balcony while X showered. (And X put the ice to good use while I showered)

This is how close we were to DS. I love the music they play on the bridge just ahead (and in all the marketplace but I can only hear it on the quiet bridge). Sometimes, when I need a pick me up, I will listen to it on YouTube.
View attachment 374463

View attachment 374464

We were sat pretty quickly. For a Fiday night at 7:00 the restaurant was pretty empty. Except at the bar. Hmmmmm
View attachment 374466

X needs a haircut. He got one when we got home.
View attachment 374465

View attachment 374467

View attachment 374468

I havent had a margarita in years. Tale as old as time, too much cuervo one night then never again! However, on Cinco de Mayo we went to my BIL’s and he was making margaritas with fresh squeezed lime juice and some good tequilla his friend (whose best friend owns a liquor store) recommended. I was telling X the story how his Uncle J recommended some tequilla made by George Clooney. He said it was “like the Tito’s of tequilla.” (*remember this!)

Our server was named Uriel and I explained my aversion to tequilla but mostly bad tequilla. He explained about agave and reposada and this and that and remember I was two beers in so I had no idea what the heck he was talking about. I told him bring me something he thinks I would like. We agreed, the worst thing that could happen was I did not like it. X ordered a “traditional on the rocks with salt”. Turns out that is what I ordered too!!! Hey!!!
Actually, we ordered the Topolo Margarita which was :
Milagro resposado tequilla, orange liquor and housemade limonada.

Which was absolutely delicious! Who knew?
View attachment 374470

It was so good that when I got near the bottom I asked for a straw so I could get every last drop. When Uriel brought me the straw he told me it was made of agave (but wait, wasnt agave bad???)
View attachment 374481

View attachment 374483
That is actually the second margarita you see in the photo above. I would not let him clear margarita number one until it was bone dry. Yes, it was that delicious!

Agave is just the sugar syrup from cactus, isn't it? I like tequila, but it doesn't like me back.... too much bad tequila during pool games in Mexico one year. If I do dare get one..it's on the rocks NO salt!

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
You had me at tequila. I may or may not have had a tequila flight and a Mexican mule that week myself. Just sayin.... your margarita looks just like - more!
Agave is just the sugar syrup from cactus, isn't it? I like tequila, but it doesn't like me back.... too much bad tequila during pool games in Mexico one year. If I do dare get one..it's on the rocks NO salt!
Did anyone say tequila? :geek:
Shots and frozen margaritas (with tajín around the rim) for me!

Btw, that Topolo 'rita from Frontera looks delicious!

Apparently, all one has to say around here to get some attention is TEQUILLA!!!

Spash007

I was the same way as X every time I got home from college - needing a hair cut BADLY. The problem was I only trusted the neighborhood barber shop I grew up in that I didn't even have to tell what to do. 10 years later, I still wish I could go back to LI just for that barber shop. But alas, I'm supposed to be presentable now and can't wait

As for my margaritas - I prefer no salt, and am iffy even on lime. Fun story - back in college we would start parties with tequila shots. I couldn't stand it. Then I realized it was actually the salt and lime taken before/afterwards that made me gag!

mimefan

Following along! I was there at Epcot with hubby, son, his girlfriend and her parents on Mother's Day. We're all local and I get "appreciation gift" WDW tickets from my volunteering, so it was my treat.

For love bugs, use damp dryer sheets with Dawn liquid, then plenty of rinsing. FYI: It will take off the wax, too. If I'm being lazy, I lay sopping wet towels over the car for 10 minutes, then wipe. Probably not a good idea in a hotel parking lot. Expect to see our little friends when you come back in September.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I was the same way as X every time I got home from college - needing a hair cut BADLY. The problem was I only trusted the neighborhood barber shop I grew up in that I didn't even have to tell what to do. 10 years later, I still wish I could go back to LI just for that barber shop. But alas, I'm supposed to be presentable now and can't wait

As for my margaritas - I prefer no salt, and am iffy even on lime. Fun story - back in college we would start parties with tequila shots. I couldn't stand it. Then I realized it was actually the salt and lime taken before/afterwards that made me gag!
Funny thing, one of his professors was at one of his games and tracked me down to say hi. She has a young son with the same exact hair as X! I asked who she used to cut his hair and she gave me the info. “By the way”, she added, “I gave the info to X werks ago.”

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Following along! I was there at Epcot with hubby, son, his girlfriend and her parents on Mother's Day. We're all local and I get "appreciation gift" WDW tickets from my volunteering, so it was my treat.

For love bugs, use damp dryer sheets with Dawn liquid, then plenty of rinsing. FYI: It will take off the wax, too. If I'm being lazy, I lay sopping wet towels over the car for 10 minutes, then wipe. Probably not a good idea in a hotel parking lot. Expect to see our little friends when you come back in September.
Thanks for the tips.
The car wash did the trick but driving home was brutal with all the love bug carnage on the windshield.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member

Funny thing, one of his professors was at one of his games and tracked me down to say hi. She has a young son with the same exact hair as X! I asked who she used to cut his hair and she gave me the info. “By the way”, she added, “I gave the info to X werks ago.”
Oh, Frank would be so jealous of X's full head of hair! Bless his heart 😄

LeighM

Couldn't help but laugh at your story because it reminded me of what my husband says about my family. I got from a family with bad tempers and a slight case of crazy, which can get worse when angry. But people kept their crazy in check as long as someone else was there that was crazier than them LOL. Now that all of our parents, who were siblings, are deceased, it's unleashed the crazy among the cousins. It's like that story - someone bigger has to step in to bring reason the others LOL. Or in my family's case - the cousin you don't want to trigger :)

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Oh, Frank would be so jealous of X's full head of hair! Bless his heart 😄

My dad (age 94) still has a head of thick wavy hair. My FIL and husband still have all their hair too. But, all three of them are gray as can be! This is what X (and my other two boys) have to look forward to.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Couldn't help but laugh at your story because it reminded me of what my husband says about my family. I got from a family with bad tempers and a slight case of crazy, which can get worse when angry. But people kept their crazy in check as long as someone else was there that was crazier than them LOL. Now that all of our parents, who were siblings, are deceased, it's unleashed the crazy among the cousins. It's like that story - someone bigger has to step in to bring reason the others LOL. Or in my family's case - the cousin you don't want to trigger :)
Holidays must be a hoot!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom