Trip Report THE ONE FOR MOTHER’S DAY IN MAY (duh)🥑COMPLETE🥑

Welcome home!
Said no one in my house upon my return.

Who went? Well.....if you have read any of my previous trip reports (Christmas, February, March and April) you know I multitask when in Florida. This trip was no different. My oldest son, X, was finishing up his second year of college in SoFlo and I went down to help him pack up and move out.
The original plan (why is there always a plan A, B.. etc?) was to pack him up, drive his truck to WDW and put it on a transport. Then we would spend a few days in WDW and fly home. I even bought the plane tickets. But, do you know how much it cost to transport his car from Florida to Long Island? Just north of OMG!!!! Plan B: no transport, no flight home. We would be driving. We also had to trim 1.5 days from our Disney stay to allow for travel time. (Heavy sigh)

We stayed at Saratoga Springs in a studio,
May 10-13. I bought him a two day park hopper as he does not have an AP like the rest of the family.

Ok, we have the who, what, where, when and why. Lets get to it!

DAY ONE/MAY 10
I woke up at 4:00 am and left the house at 4:43. Ant drove me to the airport and we got there at 4:57 (he was driving slow this morning). My flight was at 6:10 going into Fort Lauderdale. My son’s school is equidistant between FLL and West Palm (PBI) and they both have the early morning flight. One is 6:00am and one is 6:10am so I usually book the cheapest. However, if I am renting a car I prefer FLL. PBI has their car rental offsite and it can be a hassel.

The morning before, at 6:10am I had checked in and gotten A37😮. What? I havent seen the A’s since SW started charging for better boarding assignments. Maybe the flight is empty?

The flight was not empty! The announcement came that there would be about 10 empty seats. I sat in an aisle in row 4. ROW 4!!!!
There was a gentleman at the window and our middle seat remained empty. Go figure. I have decided that I do not love sitting up that close. I am not sure why but it felt different, bumpier or something. Perhaps I was thrown off because I had a shortened horizon to look at? Or maybe I am just used to the back? Who knows.

It was an uneventful flight and we landed 20 minutes early. My son had a 10:00am final (seriously, who gives finals on the very last day of class?) and couldn’t be there when I landed. I could wait but it would take him 30 minutes each way which would have us close to noon. We still had a few trips to make to the storage unit and I wanted to be on the road to Disney by 1:00. We decided I would Uber.

Walking to the ride share area I passed the shuttle for the tri-rail. The tri-rail is a train that originates in Miami. I am not sure how far north it goes, I think it goes to West Palm. Thus the tri, as in three airports (I think). Anyhow, there is a station not 5 minutes from my son’s school. I made a mental note to look into that for next time.

I found Marco, my Uber driver and said, “hello, how are you today?” He said, “NO English”. Great. We hit some traffic and my 30 minute $36 drive became a 45 minute just shy of $50 (with tip) drive. On the plus side, I had time to research the tri-rail. If I read correctly there is a Free shuttle from FLL to the station and my trip to Boca Raton would cost $5! and take 30 minutes. Sorry Marco. No more Uber from FLL for me!

I had Marco drop me at a Dunkin Donuts near my sons school. (Yes, @VincciL , the one on Yamato). I got a tea and an egg sandwich and sat at a table outside.
415A5CA5-7670-4FED-A244-535627AF655A.jpeg

D86F8398-A580-4E45-B56F-52BFAC308651.jpeg

87ACDBA1-69DC-464A-ADDD-85F2AB685EE9.jpeg

It sprinkled the entire time. Of course it did. It’s ME!!! This picture is of the sprinkles on the table.
663C240E-22D0-4E61-B394-F2A9D8F77CE5.jpeg

This picture is of a lovely palm tree I was sitting under.
400B5237-670A-4B96-BB7E-46B33C652375.jpeg

I do love palm trees.

I was sitting there, eating, checking TR’s to see what @Back!Elbow!Shoulders! @NunuBelle and @NothatDonald were up to in their livish reports. I also knew @Tuvalu had left the day before and wanted to see if she made it home safely. A man pulls into a parking spot just in front of me. Then another man drives up and words are exchanged. Man1 cut off man2 or something. Man1 invites man2 to say it to his face. Man2 parks. Man1 gets out of his car and he is a huge bald guy (why are the always bald?) Man2 gets out of his car and he is smaller than man1 but not small. They are yelling, cursing etc. Man1 gets in man2’s face. Man2 pushes man1 away. Uh oh. Do I call 911? This is not going to end well. Man1 just keeps going back in man2’s face. Man 2 is, esentially cornered and keeps pushing man1 away. What do I do? Millers Ale house had just opened and I was hoping someone in there, having dealt with belligerent drunks, would know what to do. A scrawny, barely post pubescent guy comes out of Millers. Really? But another guy and his wife happen to be walking by and the guy (we can call him guy3) is bigger than man1 and man2 put together. Now man1 is throwing out racial slurs (man2 is hispanic man1 has to be a FLID) guy3 puts himself between the men. Man2 says he just wanted a cup of coffee. Guy3 says “I will buy you that cup of coffee” and walks him into DD with his arm still around him. Man1 turns to run his errand, notices me for the first time and says “sorry, that was bad” then went into Jersey Mikes to get his sandwich.

All before 11:00am.

DisneyGigi

Being a person that has never been out of the south, save one Cincinnati trip, and my trip to California.... just do not order a Krystal burger cheese steak.. Actually just don’t eat at Krystal Burger period. My B was so seriously peeved. Lol

Rista1313

Being a person that has never been out of the south, save one Cincinnati trip, and my trip to California.... just do not order a Krystal burger cheese steak.. Actually just don’t eat at Krystal Burger period. My B was so seriously peeved. Lol

It's been many years, but I use to like Krystal... similar to white castle.

DisneyGigi

we have krystals in florida but no white castles..lol i love the krystal sliders
ETA the frozen white castle sliders in publix are pretty good if prepared right:)
He was expecting a big size Philly Cheese Steak, I still laugh thinking about his face when it was so tiny lol! Every time we pass one now I ask him if he wants one.

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
LATE NIGHT/EARLY MORNING, MAY 10

In other words, the middle of the night.

At home we sleep with an air purifier going in our room. It is suppose to be for my husbands allergies but I have gotten accustomed to it. I have a white noise app on my phone and use that when I travel. I can even use it as a reverse alarm clock. I can set it to turn off when I want to wake up and I do. Wake up that is.

No problems with the white noise but I did wake with a huge hamstring cramp. I was in so much pain, it was who knows what time but I was laughing. I was thinking about @NunuBelle and her leg cramp and all the well meaning support and advice she got.

Was I dehydrated. Yeah I was!! I try not to drink anything when I fly because, well, airplane bathrooms👎✈️🚽
Then I had the three hour drive to WDW which I tried not to drink too much because I didnt want to have to stop. Then when we finally got to our room I went straight for a beer, then the margaritas followed by more beer.

Yes, I was dehydrated. I made sure to stay hydrated for the remainder of the trip (except for the drive home).

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
DAY 2/MAY11

The alarm went off at 6:30 but I told X to sleep in. After all, he had woken up at 9:00am the previous morning (yes that is sarcasm).
I jumped in the shower and he was up and dressed when I got out. He microwaved a burrito and my oatmeal from fancy Publix while I got dressed and packed my stringbag with lots of water bottles.

We were at the bus at 7:08. 8 minutes behind schedule. We were going to rope drop FoP at AK (EMH). I could not get us a FP and have only ridden standby once so I did not mind. I was actually excited to see the standby line.

We had just missed a bus and the next one was not due until 7:33. I was a little disappointed in us. However, the bus came at 7:14 and we were at AK by 7:40.

7:15 on the bus. I didnt even dry my hair this morning as I was on a mission to get to AK!
4B1F2758-4A33-4F60-B966-7007EA4A9D45.jpeg

When we got there security was a walk on. Or walk through. We went to the spot to the left where they check your MB’s to let you in for EMH. It seemed more organized than last time. There were ropes up separating people into lines instead of the big amoeba that usually forms. As you were checked you walked to the end of the FoP line or whatever your final destination was. Not a lot of running because people were trickling in vs the mad rush of an actual rope drop.
C2A44DE0-6B05-46CF-BD54-BF8EA776344F.jpeg

We found this guy and got in line. Wait said 60 minutes. It was 7:42.
A069CAC0-0D80-44BA-A7CD-0413CE0439BE.jpeg

71D3A3C3-6E24-4659-8872-5F8516530A3A.jpeg

E0A67B19-4D9F-48FB-B3A7-F9C9CA17B651.jpeg

A7EFCB6D-0DAC-47D5-BB3A-8D2C6B6BB38B.jpeg

Time is now 8:39, so yes, it was 60 minutes but it was a very pleasant 60 minutes.
CA0388F8-9F08-43C8-A563-D5054A8781F8.jpeg

6984E9EC-4B93-4962-B936-6BD4A09D27B9.jpeg

I took this when we got off.
CD2184F9-BCE1-4B85-A904-61F98366912D.png

“Lets rope drop the safari!!!” (Our FP’s were for tonight). MDE said 10 minutes! Perfect!!! We made our way to the path out of Pandora that leads to Africa. We passed two CM’s at the head of the trail and I asked, “can we get through to Africa this way?” They assured us we could. Sometimes, like when we were there at Christmas, they restrict movement into and out of Pandora on this path.
When we got to the end of the path there was a CM there with a rope up blocking our exit.
“No way!” I might have screamed too loudly. I told her I just asked and was assured I could get through. “Well, if you go through, I will get fired.” “I highly doubt that, but email me if you need a reference because we ARE going through.”
By now the crowd was growing and she was on her walkie talkie. Finally, she let us all through. There must have been over 100 people at this point. We got to the Safari. Wait time 80 minutes. NOT COOL! We skipped it but I was pretty annoyed at the entire situation. If they are going to close the path, which I kind of get, they need to close it at both ends so unsuspecting guests like us don’t waste valuable time.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member

At home we sleep with an air purifier going in our room. It is suppose to be for my husbands allergies but I have gotten accustomed to it. I have a white noise app on my phone and use that when I travel. I can even use it as a reverse alarm clock. I can set it to turn off when I want to wake up and I do. Wake up that is.

No problems with the white noise but I did wake with a huge hamstring cramp. I was in so much pain, it was who knows what time but I was laughing. I was thinking about @NunuBelle and her leg cramp and all the well meaning support and advice she got.

Was I dehydrated. Yeah I was!! I try not to drink anything when I fly because, well, airplane bathrooms👎🚽
Then I had the three hour drive to WDW which I tried not to drink too much because I didnt want to have to stop. Then when we finally got to our room I went straight for a beer, then the margaritas followed by more beer.

Yes, I was dehydrated. I made sure to stay hydrated for the remainder of the trip (except for the drive home).
Oh nooooo! 😖
I'm sorry about your leg cramp!
It really feels like it lasts for friggin' forever!

At least you managed to laugh through it 😅. The irony for me is that I dont't practice any sports, I can't even swim, so to get cramps is so weird to me! I admit that I don't like water, but from now on, thanks to the good advice from you all, I will. (At least, while at Disney)

Sorry that you fell under the darn spell of the "Leg Cramps Curse"
🦵🦶⚡😫

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
DAY 2/MAY11

The alarm went off at 6:30 but I told X to sleep in. After all, he had woken up at 9:00am the previous morning (yes that is sarcasm).
I jumped in the shower and he was up and dressed when I got out. He microwaved a burrito and my oatmeal from fancy Publix while I got dressed and packed my stringbag with lots of water bottles.

We were at the bus at 7:08. 8 minutes behind schedule. We were going to rope drop FoP at AK (EMH). I could not get us a FP and have only ridden standby once so I did not mind. I was actually excited to see the standby line.

We had just missed a bus and the next one was not due until 7:33. I was a little disappointed in us. However, the bus came at 7:14 and we were at AK by 7:40.

7:15 on the bus. I didnt even dry my hair this morning as I was on a mission to get to AK!
View attachment 377128

When we got there security was a walk on. Or walk through. We went to the spot to the left where they check your MB’s to let you in for EMH. It seemed more organized than last time. There were ropes up separating people into lines instead of the big amoeba that usually forms. As you were checked you walked to the end of the FoP line or whatever your final destination was. Not a lot of running because people were trickling in vs the mad rush of an actual rope drop.
View attachment 377129
We found this guy and got in line. Wait said 60 minutes. It was 7:42.
View attachment 377130

View attachment 377131

View attachment 377132

View attachment 377133

Time is now 8:39, so yes, it was 60 minutes but it was a very pleasant 60 minutes.
View attachment 377134

View attachment 377135

I took this when we got off.
View attachment 377136

“Lets rope drop the safari!!!” (Our FP’s were for tonight). MDE said 10 minutes! Perfect!!! We made our way to the path out of Pandora that leads to Africa. We passed two CM’s at the head of the trail and I asked, “can we get through to Africa this way?” They assured us we could. Sometimes, like when we were there at Christmas, they restrict movement into and out of Pandora on this path.
When we got to the end of the path there was a CM there with a rope up blocking our exit.
“No way!” I might have screamed too loudly. I told her I just asked and was assured I could get through. “Well, if you go through, I will get fired.” “I highly doubt that, but email me if you need a reference because we ARE going through.”
By now the crowd was growing and she was on her walkie talkie. Finally, she let us all through. There must have been over 100 people at this point. We got to the Safari. Wait time 80 minutes. NOT COOL! We skipped it but I was pretty annoyed at the entire situation. If they are going to close the path, which I kind of get, they need to close it at both ends so unsuspecting guests like us don’t waste valuable time.
I envy how rested you look at 7 am! I didn't get if you had time for coffee?!

You're right about one path to Africa being closed and not both. Not cool at all! 😠

I hope you got to do KS later on 🙂

Rista1313

Was I dehydrated. Yeah I was!! I try not to drink anything when I fly because, well, airplane bathrooms👎🚽

Did you remember to jump out of bed and roll your foot? :in pain:

Darstarr

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I envy how rested you look at 7 am! I didn't get if you had time for coffee?!

You're right about one path to Africa being closed and not both. Not cool at all! 😠

I hope you got to do KS later on 🙂
Ha ha. Rested is a relative term.
(And I dont drink coffee. )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom