The Officially Unofficial Halloween 2014 thread.

luv

...or maybe it's Unofficially Official...

Here we go! A Boo to You!

Later this year, @Nemo14 will probably begin a "Who is going when?" thread, which I will link right here.

Please add you pics, tips and suggestions for a wonderful Halloween season (September & October)!!!!!

Here's mine...

MNSSHP: luv's Not To Be Missed List... :D

(This is just my personal thing. Caveat emptor - and you didn't pay me, anyway, so you get what you get.;))

1. Headless Horseman - he rides just before the parades begin and may be the highlight of the night. (Doesn't ride if the ground is wet and not safe for the horse.)

2. The Boo to You parade, which starts in Frontierland, goes to the hub and on down Main Street, is Disney's best parade, all year long. Try to get a good seat. By "good", I mean on the curb or at the rope. No one place is much better than any other, IMO. But it's more fun if you can see the Headless Horseman and parade stuff easily. Also, at the end, they hand out suckers to KIDS in the front, so a little extra bonus for your time and trouble invested in being up front and defending your spot. The 2013 parade times were at 8:15 and 10:30.

3. Fireworks. The fireworks ("Hallowishes") themselves aren't all that amazing, but they're fun and the soundtrack is awesome. They're only done once and the time for 2013 was 9:30.

4. The Haunted Mansion. The ride is the same, but there is a ghost who will chat with you as you enter the line and the staff are all decked out. Pretty cool.

5. The barbershop quartet. They're dressed for Halloween and sing Halloweeny songs. One of my favorite parts.

6. The Villains Mix n Mingle. The villains sing and dance on the castle stage and them come down for brief meet n greets. I don't go meet the Villains. If you want to do that, be up front and ready to book over to them when they come down. They don't stay long! The show is very upbeat and more like Disney Rock Music than it is like little-kiddie music. The 2013 times were 7:45, 8:50, 10:05 and 11:15.

New last year: A little new section of Celebrate The Magic (show projected on the castle before the fireworks) was done. Ursula on the castle! Woot! Per the Mickey Monitor, "the sneakiest and most infamous Disney villains will do their best to bring their creepiness to the towers and turrets." It's pretty cute! It was done at 9:15 last year, 2013.

Trick-or-Treating - for kids and adults alike. They give you a small plastic bag when you enter. Wherever they hand out wristbands, they'll be handing out bags. They also sell a larger and more sturdy bag, if you want to get that. If your kid has a favorite pumpkin or something that they like to collect candy in, you can bring it. Lines get shorter later in the night. Sometimes there are candy trails - the one that begins in Fantasyland, back by Dumbo, and ends by Space Mountain is used more often than not...and it only runs one-way, so don't try to start it in Tomorrowland. Won't happen. :)

The quality of the candy varies from year to year. Last year, there was some good, name brand candy and some cheapo, generic stuff. One location handed out bags of Craisins!!

Meet & Greets - multiple character meet n greets (e.g. Seven Dwarfs! All together!) are set up around the park. My favorite was the one where you stood in a hitchhiking pose and they added the HM hitchhiking ghosts to it later. Jack Skellington and Sally (new in 2013) were in Town Square. Phineas and Ferb (also new in 2013) were be found on Main Street, before the parade. You can do M&Gs with characters wearing costumes, too. There are a bunch, but the lines do build, especially for the 7 Dwarfs and Jack & Sally. A lot of people start lining up for those before the party begins.

Dance parties - for little kids (or anyone, really) - they're pretty loud, but the characters do a nice job with the kids. I generally avoid these, but the little kids are very cute, dancing with the characters. Monsters, Inc. characters will be on the stage in Tomorrowland. Woody and his pals are in the Diamond Horseshoe.

Souvenirs - party-specific stuff to buy, if you want something from the event, like a pin or whatever. People have posted that they run out of T-shirts early in the evening, so if you want one, you might want to get there early. There is no running out of pins! And no lack of selection on pins, either. If you like to buy pins, you can drop a bundle.

Tickets - MNSSHP is a "hard ticket" event. You will need a MNSSHP ticket to attend. (You do not need separate admission to the park.) The party is a park-wide event and your party ticket gives you access to all of it. I don't buy mine until the day of the party because I won't go in the rain. But if you put off buying a ticket until the day of the party, you risk having them sell out. It's a hard choice to make. Party dates and ticket prices can be found here on WDWMagic as soon as the dates are released.

Passholder Advance Purchase Discounts - the discount is small and the dates are limited, but if you have an AP, you might save a few bucks.

-If you have an AP that gives you free parking, it doesn't cover MNSSHP. So, be sure to get through the toll plaza before 7:00. If you don't, be prepared to pony up the dough, flyboy! ($15)

Wristbands - they'll give you one when you enter, if you enter around party time. Multiple places where you can pick one up if you've been in the park during the day - just give them your party ticket. You'll need to show your wristband periodically to the wristband police, who set up human blockades to prevent people who didn't pay for the party from being there. They even interrupted us while we were eating once and demanded to see our wristbands.

Maps - there are special park maps, just for the party. It lists the rides and places to eat (as well as where to find Halloween-specific treats!) that are open during the party, dance party and Trick-or-Treat locations...and has the all-important parade, villain show and fireworks times. They're cute, too. :) Pick one up! Whenever these maps come out, you will find the info here, so you can check it all out before you go, if you want. 2013 map here: http://www.wdwmagic.com/events/mick...cary-halloween-party-guide-map-2013/19473.htm

Weather - can be very hot (especially September or early October) or be cold (especially later in October.) Can't predict rain. There have nights where the whole party was just pouring hard rain, all night long, but they are infrequent.

Costumes - No way to predict temps, so if you have costumes, try to make them adaptable to any temp. Because that's so easy, lol. ;) Adults can dress up, too (but it isn't required. Some do, some don't. Whatever you choose, you won't feel out of place.) Some people go all out on their costumes and some are very funny, so it's entertaining to see them all. Disney frowns upon and may not let you wear masks that will obscure your vision, so leave those out. It is the only time of year that adults can go to the parks in Disney character costumes and many do. I don't know what the rule is on what time you can enter the park with your costume on, but have seen people in costumes as early as four or five o'clock. You can get spooky with the costumes, but not too gory.

Although the party begins at 7:00, they usually allow people with just a party ticket into the MK around 4:00.

If you all are into the horror part of Halloween, check out Halloween Horror Nights at Uni. Tons of fun...but not for children!

I hope everyone enjoys their time at MNSSHP!!!

A boo to you!

Last edited:

Tiggertoo56

I'll be there - and hopefully with tickets for the MNSSHP on 31st October (DS's birthday) and sooooo looking forward to it! Been 4 times now and it seems to get better each time. May also try to fit in the Christmas party as they just about start before we leave!:D:happy::):joyfull: all at the same time.

Upvote 0

FitzherbertFreak

I'll be there - and hopefully with tickets for the MNSSHP on 31st October (DS's birthday) and sooooo looking forward to it! Been 4 times now and it seems to get better each time. May also try to fit in the Christmas party as they just about start before we leave!:D:happy::):joyfull: all at the same time.
I completely agree! Ever since they put Phineas, Ezra, and Gus (The Hitchhiking Ghosts) in the parade, I have been loving it more and more! The minute tickets go on sale, make sure you buy them immediately! MNSSHP tickets on Halloween don't sell out right away, but they will pretty quickly! I'm just warning you now (if you haven't been on Halloween before), it's absolutely insane. I feel like it's Disney during summer or the Holiday season. You can't move! Trying to enjoy the parade and fireworks are unbearable - well it has been for me in the past. Though somehow I come out having a wonderful time. Oh wait, it's because I was in Disney! :p Doing Christmas and Halloween... I'm so jealous! That sounds like a "spooky"... "festive"... oh, just a good time!

Upvote 0

LucyK

Thank you @living-a-disney-life, it's one of the main reasons why we're going, we don't celebrate Halloween in my country and I've always wanted to treat-or-trick.

I'm having a hard time picking my costume, I want something light and very easy to walk around and getting in and out of rides, I'm tending towards a ladybug or disneybouding as Minnie, we'll see.

I'm most excited about Hallowishes and the parade than any character meeting. I'll probably just line up for Donald, the Dwarfs and Jack Sparrow.

Upvote 0

LucyK

We're also doing both parties! We programmed our trip just so we could do that! We're skipping the sell out crowds of October 31st though, we're going either November 1st or 2nd, whenever the last party is.

Wait! I forgot one of the best things! I know you can do this at the Christmas party as well, but it is such a treat to have your photo taken with all 7 dwarfs! :D
Quick question: as I said before I'll be going to both MNSSHP and MVMCP. Which party should I choose to meet the Dwarfs? I know they'll be wearing the same outfits at both so is there any advantage to choose one day over the other?

Upvote 0

FitzherbertFreak

We're also doing both parties! We programmed our trip just so we could do that! We're skipping the sell out crowds of October 31st though, we're going either November 1st or 2nd, whenever the last party is.

Quick question: as I said before I'll be going to both MNSSHP and MVMCP. Which party should I choose to meet the Dwarfs? I know they'll be wearing the same outfits at both so is there any advantage to choose one day over the other?
Hmm... Honestly, I would decide once you're there, and/or based on the time you're thinking about meeting them. When I first took a photo with them at Not So Scary a couple years back, the line was long, but not unbearable, so I decided to give it ago. It was almost 2:00 a.m., so it was going to be the last thing for the night/morning. Except right when I got up there, they had to take a "gooseberry pie break." So I literally waited until about 10 minutes before closing. If you don't want to do that, I'd wait for Christmas. Though looking at your scenario again, I would probably go during the Christmas party. Although those relatively bring in more people, you're going to the last Not So Scary, which may not be to your advantage. Usually the firsts of the parties are less crowded, so I'd wait for Christmas. Though who knows... You might get there and there will be no wait at all!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LucyK

Hmm... Honestly, I would decide once you're there, and/or based on the time you're thinking about meeting them. When I first took a photo with them at Not So Scary a couple years back, the line was long, but not unbearable, so I decided to give it ago. It was almost 2:00 a.m., so it was going to be the last thing for the night/morning. Except right when I got up there, they had to take a "gooseberry pie break." So I literally waited until about 10 minutes before closing. If you don't want to do that, I'd wait for Christmas. Though looking at your scenario again, I would probably go during the Christmas party. although those relatively bring in more people, you;re going to the last Not So Scary, which may not be to your advantage. Usually the firsts of the parties are less crowded, so I'd wait for Christmas. Though who knows... You might get there and there will be no wait at all!
I hadn't weighed in the fact that the last MNSSHP would inflate the waiting times for characters, good call. I'll play the wait and see game then, meet Donald and Jack Sparrow and keep an eye at the waiting times for the 7D. Thank you!

Upvote 0

FitzherbertFreak

IMG_0617.JPG
IMG_0591.JPG

Upvote 0

Tiggertoo56

I completely agree! Ever since they put Phineas, Ezra, and Gus (The Hitchhiking Ghosts) in the parade, I have been loving it more and more! The minute tickets go on sale, make sure you buy them immediately! MNSSHP tickets on Halloween don't sell out right away, but they will pretty quickly! I'm just warning you now (if you haven't been on Halloween before), it's absolutely insane. I feel like it's Disney during summer or the Holiday season. You can't move! Trying to enjoy the parade and fireworks are unbearable - well it has been for me in the past. Though somehow I come out having a wonderful time. Oh wait, it's because I was in Disney! :p Doing Christmas and Halloween... I'm so jealous! That sounds like a "spooky"... "festive"... oh, just a good time!
Did MNSSHP on Halloween twice already - may be busy but just as enjoyable. Last time was earlier in October and was as good - just think its because of the birthday it seems better to do it on 31st. I love the hitchhiking ghosts too.

Upvote 0

FitzherbertFreak

Did MNSSHP on Halloween twice already - may be busy but just as enjoyable. Last time was earlier in October and was as good - just think its because of the birthday it seems better to do it on 31st. I love the hitchhiking ghosts too.
See my birthday is in mid-September, so sometimes my birthday is on, or right before, the first MNSSHP.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom