The official "What does the general public think" thread (Disneyland version)

TwilightZone

Original Poster
Since I like to look at what the general public think about new lands and rides announced or opened, I decided to make two threads for wdw and disneyland. I think knowing what the general public think is crucial to understanding disney's thought process and getting more than one viewpoint on things. Only recent ones will be included, so no past stuff, no matter how controversial.

TwilightZone

Original Poster
Let's start with pixar pier.
General guests seem to like the pier. Some dislike it though due to it being rushed, but most like it due to it being more energetic than the original pier. Jack Jack on a stick is disliked even for general guests. Some guests mock the, what they call "disney fans" without fully realizing why uber disney fans are upset with the change.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Biggest criticisms against ubers that generals had: more energetic, the original wasn't that good (mainly due to cheap carnival rides), IPs were everywhere even during the walt era.
Biggest Agreements with ubers general guests had: very rushed, jack jack on a stick, incredicoaster should at least be redone, california adventure isn't very californian anymore.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Overall, I saw more positive than negative, but the fact that results were more mixed than usual (usually people love everything disney does) is a bad sign for disney.

Last edited:

TwilightZone

Original Poster
I have been hearing/seeing more positive reactions but I have seen a few negative.
Yeah people love this stuff. It's a little surprising. But hey, if people are happy then there must be something good about it. Maybe just the experience itself.

yeti

I also wonder whether Pixar Pier was a monetary "success" for Disney. Will it continue to attract new guests and improve attendance at DCA now that the initial media blitz is over with? Or is it another Mission Breakout where no one cares after the first month?

TwilightZone

Original Poster
YouTube comments aren't the general public. Normal people don't YouTube Disneyland rides.
You'd be surprised about what normal people do. Before going on our six flags trip, mom youtubed a bunch of rides so we knew what to expect. Too bad the rides are way more intense in person lol.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You'd be surprised about what normal people do. Before going on our six flags trip, mom youtubed a bunch of rides so we know what to expect. Too bad the rides are way more intense in person lol.

That's the way of life now, you look up the experience before you get there. I took a girl I was dating and her 9 yr old son to Disneyland this past December. Before we even had discussed going her son had already seen every ride through and every parade video months prior. I had no influence on the boy, he did this on his own.

Kid today especially watch all the videos prior to any trip.

SuddenStorm

I'm in a number of Facebook Disneyland groups, as well as somewhat active on here and Micechat. Us and Micechat are far and away the most critical, most other sources I've seen have been eating Pixar Pier up.

It makes sense. To 99.9% of guests, Disneyland is a vacation or hangout spot. Thematic integrity and park history aren't even on their radar. Pixar Pier is something new, and it has some new churros so of course reception is generally positive elsewhere.

SuddenStorm

Before we even had discussed going her son had already seen every ride through and every parade video months prior. I had no influence on the boy, he did this on his own.

I'm going two people who have never been before in August. One grew up in Brazil, and is completely unfamiliar with theme parks in general, let alone the specifics of Disneyland.

I stressed the importance that she does not watch any videos or do any kind of research before the trip.

SuddenStorm

Overall, I saw more positive than negative, but the fact that results were more mixed than usual (usually people love everything disney does) is a bad sign for disney.

I think that this overlay has accomplished exactly what Disney wants. It got people talking about DCA and it's likely selling loads more merchandise than Paradise Pier did. It regenerated interest in an aging area, if only short term.

Disney management aren't stupid. They knew they're putting out a lousy quality product. It's when they think they're hitting a home run- like when they tried to follow up MSEP back in '97 with Light Tragic, and are forced to scrap the parade after just one summer that it's a bad sign for Disney.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I'm going two people who have never been before in August. One grew up in Brazil, and is completely unfamiliar with theme parks in general, let alone the specifics of Disneyland.

I stressed the importance that she does not watch any videos or do any kind of research before the trip.

Unfortunately you know that they are going to do research and watch videos. Its like when you say don't think of pink elephants, all you can do is think about pink elephants. Its human nature, you can't stop it. :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom