deleted

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
They built a KK right down the street from me a few years back, but sadly it didn't survive. :mad::mad:

They overreached 5+ years ago had to close a ton of low performer stores. But they've since bounced back. Mainly due to millennials acceptance of carbs and their habitual coffee sugar milk consumption. Coffee and Donuts; What's old is new again. Sears should consider playing to that as well.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If Krispy Kreme's HOT light sign is any indication of success I think Kmart stands a chance at revival using their Blue Light Specials as a way to lure shoppers. Modular building slightly smaller with everyday essentials. Rest of merch sold online. Beef up online presence. Kmart.com/Sears.com are terrible shopping platforms. Just generally bring back Blue Light special! (mobile app notifications, Daily check-in rewards, etc) Make Blue Light Special the equivalent to Krispy Kreme HOT light sign and watch the masses flock to Kmart for bargains.

They already tried the blue light special rebirth...

Tony the Tigger

Adapt, downsize, specialize, and emphasize customer experience.

Retail is changing, not going away. Online retail is just retail. Every B&M should have an online component.

Full disclosure: I own two record stores (but was trained by big box as well as Mom+Pop) and Amazon can never duplicate my customer experience unless they open stores. That said, I started my business on eBay 20 years and 6 weeks ago.

The things we sell on line and in the store are mostly not the same items, not the same pricing, not the same customer base. They complement each other.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
They already tried the blue light special rebirth...

Kinda. don't think it was used to it's fullest potential. It was more of a last ditch effort gimmick. By that point it was already too late. A cardboard standee and crap merch does not make a rebrand/rebirth. I'm talking a complete redesign. Smaller storefront, blue light sign on building, etc.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Kinda. don't think it was used to it's fullest potential. It was more of a last ditch effort gimmick. By that point it was already too late. A cardboard standee and crap merch does not make a rebrand/rebirth. I'm talking a complete redesign. Smaller storefront, blue light sign on building, etc.

The problem is the blue light special’s attachment and meaning are lost on anyone under 40... and those over already know Kmart as a corpse.

Kmart killed its brand value with its stagnation in the 90s and why would anyone go into one when there is a target right around the corner? Target is what Kmart could have been if they were progressive... instead they became dead husks from the 70s and 80s. Their main value of proximity for most towns got blown away by the aggressive expansion of target and Walmart.... and dollar store brands below them.

As @Tony the Tigger pointed out... the late effort to have an integrated online and retail experience is what doomed many of these retailers.

The idea of uniform pricing is something many retailers could not stomach switching to... and that I believe was one of the big points of resistance. And then the common trick of separate companies for online verse retail further created barriers.

Look at how Homedepot and Lowe’s moved into appliance sales. They kept a small display, and offered a retail like experience but facilitated through warehousing and delivery. I think that kind of hybrid model combined with online commerce is how many experiences will progress.

Smiley/OCD

Adapt, downsize, specialize, and emphasize customer experience.

Retail is changing, not going away. Online retail is just retail. Every B&M should have an online component.

Full disclosure: I own two record stores (but was trained by big box as well as Mom+Pop) and Amazon can never duplicate my customer experience unless they open stores. That said, I started my business on eBay 20 years and 6 weeks ago.

The things we sell on line and in the store are mostly not the same items, not the same pricing, not the same customer base. They complement each other.

Small world!!! I got my start, after leaving radio in a record store...10 store mom & pop retailer, then moved on to Record World, owned my own store for 7 years (Smiley's, hence my user name) then FYE...was an awesome business to be in!! Again, the major labels said "Downloading? It won't hurt us!!" My brother and best friend sell vinyl online, at flea markets and record shows...no overhead, and they make more $$ then they did at their regular jobs. VINYL IS THE BEST!!!

Tony the Tigger

And then the common trick of separate companies for online verse retail further created barriers.

This is huge. There was a completely different experience online vs in store with Sears/Kmart.

Kmart was an operational disaster for a long time - poor signage/shelf tags, poor upkeep. Worse: they’re known to be a discount retailer. I consistently have Sears Shop Your Way points - but I can’t bring myself to buy dog food or paper towels from Kmart (even “free” with points) because their prices are so much higher than almost everywhere else.

You don’t get to charge Macy’s prices in a Kmart. That’s why Martha Stewart had two lines of kitchenware.

Tony the Tigger

Small world!!! I got my start, after leaving radio in a record store...10 store mom & pop retailer, then moved on to Record World, owned my own store for 7 years (Smiley's, hence my user name) then FYE...was an awesome business to be in!! Again, the major labels said "Downloading? It won't hurt us!!" My brother and best friend sell vinyl online, at flea markets and record shows...no overhead, and they make more $$ then they did at their regular jobs. VINYL IS THE BEST!!!

Where was that? The name sounds familiar. Although in the early 2000’s I went to almost every record store in the country except the northwest & upper Midwest (it got too cold, Minnesota!)

Smiley/OCD

Where was that? The name sounds familiar. Although in the early 2000’s I went to almost every record store in the country except the northwest & upper Midwest (it got too cold, Minnesota!)
The first chain, Alwilk records was in NJ, Record World was based on Long Island, NY, but had stores from Mass. to VA...my store was on the Jersey shore, specializing on dance music (12"), and FYE is still in business, nationwide, but is more like Spencer's with more boutique than music.

Smiley/OCD

P.S. doing what your brother does is how I started out in 1999. First B&M opened 9 years ago. I’m at a hotel in Tampa now, so naturally I’m about to walk out the door to go hunting lol. It’s an addiction.
But, a GREAT addiction to have!!! There's nothing like the sound of vinyl, (the human ear processes sound in analog, not digital which is why vinyl sounds sooo much "warmer"), the smell of vinyl and reading liner notes!

Tony the Tigger

The first chain, Alwilk records was in NJ, Record World was based on Long Island, NY, but had stores from Mass. to VA...my store was on the Jersey shore, specializing on dance music (12"), and FYE is still in business, nationwide, but is more like Spencer's with more boutique than music.

Ha! To complete the hijack and then turn the thread back to whatever it was about - I’m from NJ and remember Alwilk for sure.

And while i can’t picture Smiley’s, I must have been there. I’ve been to all of them, and MY first store specializes in dance/DJ to this day!

TwilightZone

As a young person, I think physical stores wont go away, just some name brands and malls. We like to try on clothes to see how it fits us. Restaurants such as krispy kreme are popular. Downtowns are busy. Movies are packed. And while nsfw, girls love their victoria's secret (I don't, but I won't get into that for your sanity).
Whatever brands are failing are failing due to bad management and more. A shame since I love macy's and jc penney's, they have great deals at times, and a lot of my clothes and other favorite items are sold there and not in a target or whatever.

Goofyernmost

Actually, it CAN work IF executives get off their A***S on a regular basis and work in the stores to see the day to day challenges and ACTUALLY talk to the customers, you know, the ones that are PAYING their salaries...they all have their MBA's, read "The Five Minute Manager" cover to cover and NEVER worked in retail. because it was beneath them. That's one of the things that makes Disney so great, because many, NOT ALL, of the higher ups actually worked in the parks...but the key is NOT to forget what you dealt with once you get the corner office, title and expense account. Again, it's one on one interaction...that's why we were born with eyes, ears and mouths in addition to our brains.
We all know that... and if I had about $40,000,000 I'd be sitting on my yacht in the Bahama's sipping Pina Coladas! It never is a question of what should they do, it is a question of how does one manage to make it happen. Even if they managed to make it work in the beginning by doing what you suggest... you know as well as I do, that it will only last a short amount of time before the ivory tower office calls them home.

I don't think that Bob Iger has spent over 2 hours total in the parks since he became in charge.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
My preference is to shop in a B&M store, try on clothing or shoes, and pay in person. It's also nice to briefly chat with the store's employees. Sometimes, just a smile or a pleasant few words between the customer and store employee, can go a long way to promote goodwill.

But, B&M shopping is not always possible for me, so I have also done some online shopping. However, in the case of clothing, (since I can't try it on first), I end up shipping back some items, because they don't fit, or I don't like the material. I'm sure that the shipping companies like UPS, USPS, and Fedex love me, because I've returned many things. ;)

Smiley/OCD

We all know that... and if I had about $40,000,000 I'd be sitting on my yacht in the Bahama's sipping Pina Coladas! It never is a question of what should they do, it is a question of how does one manage to make it happen. Even if they managed to make it work in the beginning by doing what you suggest... you know as well as I do, that it will only last a short amount of time before the ivory tower office calls them home.

I don't think that Bob Iger has spent over 2 hours total in the parks since he became in charge.

Well, it might be obvious to you and I, but looking at the rash of closures, it's not obvious to everyone. As far as Iger goes, that why I said most and not all. I've seen, experienced and worked with many people who have gotten promoted that started out in the store level. As soon as the first paycheck gets cashed, they forget from whence they came...it actually happens very quickly.

Goofyernmost

Well, it might be obvious to you and I, but looking at the rash of closures, it's not obvious to everyone. As far as Iger goes, that why I said most and not all. I've seen, experienced and worked with many people who have gotten promoted that started out in the store level. As soon as the first paycheck gets cashed, they forget from whence they came...it actually happens very quickly.
That was exactly my point. Power is a strong mistress. One of the philosophy's of this country is never look back. Just look ahead and upward. That is why we never learn from the past... so few of us know what it was.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom