The Official Day vs Night Disneyland Attraction List

mickEblu

Original Poster
When at Disneyland with family and friends who visit Disneyland infrequently, I often find myself telling them when we should and should not ride a particular ride. You want to ride Big Thunder Mountain at 3pm? Absolutely not, let's save that for tonight. You want to ride Matterhorn now? Nope. That's going to have to wait until later. Granted, if you find a short line, it may not be a bad idea to take advantage of it but Disneyland is very busy and most families get to ride roughly 10 attractions in a day. So saving just a few minutes may not really be worth it. If you're going to end up with roughly the same ride count anyway you may as well enjoy attractions at the ideal time of day. Keep in mind this approach is geared toward day guests, not Key Holders that go to the parks all the time. I didn't feel the need to add a description to all of these. Especially the ones that I think are obvious but I will gladly debate someone if they disagree. If an attraction only runs in the day, I left it off the list. Mods - you may want to sticky this as it is the Official List 😛that can help Noobs make the most of their day.

In general my philosophy is pretty simple:
  1. Most rides that have atmospheric elements outdoors are better during the day. Think Splash Mountain and Jungle Cruise.
  2. Most dark rides are better during the day as our eyes haven't transitioned to the lack of light so the rides appear darker and we see less stuff we're not supposed to.
  3. Most flat rides and outdoor thrill rides are probably better at night. The cool air and the scenic lights can only help a flat ride
  4. For some attractions it really doesn't matter but ill give a slight edge one way or another.

Main Street

Disneyland
Railroad - DAY

Adventureland
  • Enchanted Tiki Room - This one is kind of neutral but I'll go with DAY. A Dole Whip is just better on a hot day.
  • Jungle Cruise - DAY
  • Indiana Jones: Temple of the Forbidden Eye - DAY - But Not as much of a slam dunk choice as most other dark rides. The queue is so long indoors that the eye transition factor almost doesn't matter. The indoor queue has a little better feeling at night for the most part.
  • Tarzans Treehouse - Not sure I have ever been up there at Night so I'll say DAY but I can see both options having their advantages.

New Orleans Square - Not only are both of these attractions better during the day but so is the ROA
  • Pirates of the Caribbean - DAY
  • Haunted Mansion - DAY

Critter Country
  • Splash Mountain - DAY
  • Winnie the Pooh- DAY- For the Ride and outdoor queue.

Frontierland
  • Big Thunder Mountain Railroad - NIGHT- This ride is so much better at night I almost see no point of ever riding during the day. I think it is by far the attraction with the most extreme ride experience difference between day/night.
  • Mark Twain & Sailing Ship Columbia - This one is too close to call. The quintessential trip around the ROA is during the day but the evening trips are so calm and peaceful.

Fantasyland
  • Peter Pans Flight - DAY
  • Mr. Toads Wild Ride - DAY
  • Alice in Wonderland - DAY
  • Pinocchio's Daring Journey - DAY
  • Snow White's Enchanted Wish - DAY
  • King Arthur's Carrousel - NIGHT but not by a landslide
  • Casey Jr. - DAY
  • Dumbo - NIGHT - not by a landslide but more of a margin than the carrousel
  • Storybookland Canal Boats- I'm going to sit this one out. I think its close though. Ive only been on these twice in my adult life or maybe ever. 1x was in the day and 1x at night but they were so far apart I don't feel qualified to answer.
  • Mad Tea Party - NIGHT
  • It's a Small world - DAY unless its IASW Holiday
  • Matterhorn Bobsleds - NIGHT - darkness, cool air, surrounding TL and Fantasyland views/ lights.

Tomorrowland
  • Star Tours- Really doesn't matter but I'd lean Day. Something about the Star Tours queue at night is sad to me. I think its because it was the kind of ride we used to squeeze in at the very end of a long day as it wasn't a priority. So I associate it with being exhausted, the fact that my Disneyland day has come to an end and the dreaded thought of having to get back to the parking structure.
  • Space Mountain - Doesn't really Matter but I'd say Day
  • Autopia - NIGHT
  • Buzz- Doesn't Matter but I'd lean DAY
  • Finding Nemo - DAY.........or NIGHT, it's terrible.
  • Monorail - Another close one. Not sure I can pick. I feel the same way about the Monorail as I do the Mark Twain

Galaxies Edge
  • ROTR- Doesn't really matter for some reason as Indy but that unload area looks really cool at night as well as the outdoor area before we board Becks ship.
  • Smugglers Run - Since Galaxies Edge looks a billion times better at Night (especially this area), I'll say NIGHT

Toontown
  • Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin - DAY
  • Gadgets Go Coaster - NIGHT

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Kind of off topic but I disagree with people that give the advice of hitting all the big rides in the morning before crowds. I think their needs to be an ebb and flow to the day. Riding all the thrill rides or big E tickets in the morning can lead to the rest of the day being kind of anti climatic.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

I find experiencing dark rides in the evening to be better.
Your eyes are already properly adjusted to the interior and the scenery, sets, effects, and figures appear visually brighter and more effective.

Your mileage may vary as everyone 'sees' things differently.

For me however, nighttime is the best time for 'Peter Pan's Flight', 'Pinnochio's Daring Journey', 'Snow White's Enchanted Wish', and even 'Space Mountain'.

-

DrAlice

Generally agree with your list, but I don't feel that strongly either way. I will add that Storybookland Canal is really pretty at night!! (Ditto for Casey Jr.)

Also, Autopia during the fireworks is super fun. :D

waltography

Generally agree with your list, but I don't feel that strongly either way. I will add that Storybookland Canal is really pretty at night!! (Ditto for Casey Jr.)

Also, Autopia during the fireworks is super fun. :D
Can vouch for Storybook Land being gorgeous at night, especially on the approach to Aladdin's Cave of Wonders with the arches. It's basically an outdoor dark ride at night.

truecoat

I find experiencing dark rides in the evening to be better.
Your eyes are already properly adjusted to the interior and the scenery, sets, effects, and figures appear visually brighter and more effective.

Your mileage may vary as everyone 'sees' things differently.

For me however, nighttime is the best time for 'Peter Pan's Flight', 'Pinnochio's Daring Journey', 'Snow White's Enchanted Wish', and even 'Space Mountain'.

-

I agree. The last time I rode HM at night, there was a lot more glow around stuff in the graveyard than I've seen before.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

IMO both Pirates and Haunted Mansion are best experienced at about 11:59pm, when you'll likely get a boat to yourself and can float through the bayou, caves, and pirate debauchery without another boat in sight -- almost like it's not even a ride anymore but rather your own fantasy adventure. Or you'll get the opportunity to experience a mostly empty, eerily quiet stretching room and then board a doom buggy with empty vehicles on each side. Late-night exhaustion only adds to the immersion, making everything feel a little fuzzy and dreamlike.

CaptinEO

Kind of off topic but I disagree with people that give the advice of hitting all the big rides in the morning before crowds. I think their needs to be an ebb and flow to the day. Riding all the thrill rides or big E tickets in the morning can lead to the rest of the day being kind of anti climatic.
I ride the big rides in the morning before crowds and then ride some of them again later in the night, unless its completely packed.

It's all about having the opportunity to at least go on them once.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I ride the big rides in the morning before crowds and then ride some of them again later in the night, unless its completely packed.

It's all about having the opportunity to at least go on them once.

For a frequent visitor like you or i it doesn’t really matter. I’m talking about creating a nice flow for guests that don’t get to the parks often. Now obviously if all that matters to someone is they get on Indy or Space that day go for it.

Mac Tonight

IMO both Pirates and Haunted Mansion are best experienced at about 11:59pm, when you'll likely get a boat to yourself and can float through the bayou, caves, and pirate debauchery without another boat in sight -- almost like it's not even a ride anymore but rather your own fantasy adventure. Or you'll get the opportunity to experience a mostly empty, eerily quiet stretching room and then board a doom buggy with empty vehicles on each side. Late-night exhaustion only adds to the immersion, making everything feel a little fuzzy and dreamlike.
Since I predominantly would only go at night for a period of time, I would make a point to always try and be the last one on Pirates or Haunted. Getting you own boat or being alone in the Stretching Room is a Disneyland rite of passage and definitely something to check off the Disneyland Bucket List.

mickEblu

Original Poster

That sounds fun. I’ll have to try that… while my wife waits outside with the kids. I’m sure she’ll understand.

PiratesMansion

That sounds fun. I’ll have to try that… while my wife waits outside with the kids. I’m sure she’ll understand.
That's most often my late-night ritual: ping ponging back and forth between Mansion and Pirates at night. Generally speaking once Fantasmic's been over for ~20 min or so you can ride them as fast as your feet can carry you around, and often either alone or one of only a few. Much better than being surrounded by screaming "scared" teenagers in Mansion or people who confuse Blue Bayou's atmosphere with filler and gab right on through it until the drops happen and they finally shut up. The near-solitude and comparative silence nicely enhances both attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom