The Non-Disney Friends we have?

EPCOTGAL1

Original Poster
Does anyone else have friends out there that roll their eyes when you tell them that you're going back to Disney on vacation...? I certainly do. I'm always defending my reasons for going. They always tell me to "go somewhere else in the world" or that I'm part of a "cult"....well, that one may be true....a Disney Cult which I'm more than happy to be a member of.. :) Some of these people have NEVER been? Anybody else have friends who can't "feel the magic"? :)

Disneykidder

Yup...my sister, parents, brother and sometimes my husband. They just don't get it. I simply tell them that that is what I like so I am going to go. I also tell them to do what makes them happy and let me do what makes me happy!!:)

I do, however, branch out to other places too, though. I LOVEEEE WDW but do think it is important to see and experience other places. I want my kids to experience WDW, of course, but other places as well and find what makes them happy. As of now, my 4 1/2 year old son is a huge Disney nut but we'll see if that sticks when he is older. It would be cool...I'd love to take him when he is older.:)

DivineMadness7

My favorite uncle recently said "Disney World was the biggest disappointment of my life."

He's still my favorite uncle, still love him, but I was so shocked he said that. I don't quite look at him the same anymore, I think he's become a grumpy old man! Maybe it wasn't his cup of tea but that seemed like a strong statement. I don't know much about the vacation they took there, it was several years ago, I do know they stayed off property. I'd also imagine they went open to close, running themselves ragged. That just is no way to spend a vacation in my opinion.

AND if WDW was the biggest disappointment of your life, then well, I'd say you've had a pretty good life!

LadyDarling

People constantly give me a hard time when I go to Disneyland and/or Disneyworld. I know there are other vacation destinations and, over time, I do want to go there, but there's nothing like the magic to be away from it all. I traveled a lot as a child and Disney parks have this way of feeling like home, only more exciting. :)

I think those people who just don't "get it" Miss out on a lot! I hope they have some magic place in their lives! I'm very happy with mine. :)

DisneyGigi

Yes,I have people that are friends and family that are like that. They don't get it at all and some even go to the point of being sarcastic about it. I totally do not understand that. I mean, I am happy for anyone that can go to anyplace that makes them as happy as WDW does my family. Isn't it a whole lot easier to be glad that someone can enjoy something as much as most of us do WDW than to question why they would want to keep going somewhere that they love?? :confused:

Raven66

Most of our friends and family our like that. They want to know why we would "waste" our money on going to WDW. They want to know how many times we can possibly go to the same place. We love WDW and we go as many times as we can. Unfortunately we haven't been back in two years.:cry:

batulo128

People who hate Disney!

:wave:Hello:

I thoroughly agree that are family members, friends and at times spouses who just hate Disneyworld.. I am a married man no children but i do appreciate the fact that i have an opportunity to recapture a part of my youth..

i am 45 Years of age. I don't care what people say when i tell em that I am going to Disney.. The question i am asked all the time is that if if tired of going to DW.. It is liking asking someone if that person is tired of breathing...

I admit at first i was a skeptic, but afterards I never felt the i did going to Disneyworld. The other theme parks just don't cut it at all! the vast array of diversity of rides, shows and just overall enjoying the environment is spectacular..

My answer next time for someone who is putting down DW is "Get a life".. You might actually enjoy it!

:shrug:perfect example....

I can always invite them to Dinosaur riide and see their reaction..

maryszhi

no, but they do do it with our summer house on cape cod and boston. but sometimes they do. but we go other places as well, so they cant say we dont go other places

jmicro59

What are you people talking about?!?!?
You associate with non WDW people?!?!? :ROFLOL:

Yeah, we hear it every year "You're going there again??"
And I say "yep". We go every year at least once to celebrate our DD B'day in July. If we have the time we'll go again in October and maybe December.
She is now 11 and as far as she is concerned, WDW is the best and there's no need to go any place else. Of course with the teenage years approaching her opinon may change. :)

kimmychad

its been working out that we're going every 6 months or so and my family and my coworkers dont understand the desire i have to "see the same thing over and over". they don't understand that i actually cry when a little girl sees a princess and cries. i just love it there i guess.

DivineMadness7

What really confuses me when I get the "you're going there AGAIN?" response is when it comes from people who visit the same beach for a week every summer. Don't they get tired of going to the same beach?

The Adventurer

I am in the minority who do not have anybody around me that has a beef against the Disney parks. All my friends want me to take them eventually and my one friend who made it a point to avoid the Disney films when he was young still enjoyed WDW. The only negativity about the parks I have heard has been through internet sites and stuff and that really doesn't count. :king:

Tinkerbella16

Yes...all of my friends think I am crazy because WDW is the only place I will take a vacation to. I get the "Your going again???" line all the time. They just don't "get it" like I do. Some have never been, some have been more than once, some have been just once...but they seem to think I am weird because it is all I talk about and I am obsessed!! I was going to take a solo trip for the first time in November, but now my mom is coming with me...when I first told my dad that I was going by myself, he said that I would be better off going to an island somewhere and save money. If I am taking a vacation alone, WDW is the number 1 place I'd wanna be. There's so much to do, so much to plan, so many things to see that I haven't seen yet (eventhough I go every year)...I would never be bored like I would at an island by myself. I love WDW and it never bothers me when someone says things to me because it is what makes me happy and it is what truely gets me away from the real world. I wouldn't have it any other way. :D

MinnieLee

Fortunately, I work with alot of people who also love WDW and we compare countdowns, new rides, favorite things to see and do. When there are other people who are going for the first time they always tell me that they are thinking about going down at a specific time - is that a good time?, where do I eat, where is the best resort for them to stay in, etc. but then there are the ones who have never been and don't understand the lve of going (until they go for the first time). We did do two seven day Disney cruises and when I was asked if I go anywhere else besides Disney my answer was yes, I went to St. Martin, St. John, Key West, etc, but HOW I got there was by a Disney ship. We were in Hilton Head in April, not staying at Disney but did make a stop at the resort there and, of course, had to go into the gift shop there! How could you not love Disney.:shrug:

Kelsybelle

Thankfully I come from a long line of Disney nuts, there is always someone in my family planning a Disney vacation! Where I find the most resistance to a Disney vacation would probably be with my clients. For the most part there are a bunch that go and enjoy WDW but there are ones that don't haven't a clue about how to enjoy WDW. The comments are like "Your taking a vacation, let me guess Disney" usually followed by the rolling of the eyes or "I went there once and that was enough for me, never again!" Different strokes for different folks is sooo true, especially when it comes to WDW. I think the non Disney lovers don't know how to plan a Disney vacation and I think the level of planning it takes to create one turns them off! I agree that there is a big World out there, go see it and go to WDW because thats a World that shouldn't be missed!

EPCOTGAL1

Original Poster
So, I see I'm not alone. Yes, what about the SAME people who give you a hard time but yet, pack up EVERY year or week for that matter to go to the same beach (hoping it doesn't rain) and wishing they could actually go swimming in the water (because it's so cold you lose feeling).

Living in MA, it is not easy to always go down. This is our first year going twice in one year. My children (son 21 and daughter 16) have grown up with Disney. We have taken them probably abou 8 or 9 times. My son has not been since 2005 and is excited to go back in November now that he can "step up to the bar". My daughter...well, she's decided she's getting married there (yikes!). Of course, when she's older...so that gives us time to save a few $$ (pennies). :) My husband, although has a great time, does want to go other places but always seems to bend when I want to go. Next year, we are going to CA because he wants to go there...I'm sure we can get a stop at Disneyland (never been) in there somehow. He travels alot for work so he's been everywhere...I've only been to Puerto Rico, the Bahamas, Phoenix. We all would like to go to Ireland, Scotland, etc. and now we can still get a Disney fix with Disney as our tour guides. :)

Agent1964fem

Sometimes I get defensive ...when people roll there eyes or go haven't you already been there ? Ummm your point? :veryconfu You have to experience it to understand ?

Wilderness Lodge 1997
Caribbean Beach 2003
Port Orleans-Riverside 2005
Wilderness Lodge 2007
Polynesian 2009

Even miracles take a little time ..fairy godmother to cinderella.

I hear it all the time from family, friends and co-workers. What is really interesting is guess where they come when they decide to give Disney a try. :D Yeah, that would be me....."hey, can you help me plan my Disney vacation?"

Most of my co-workers now say something like "have fun at Disney" when I say that I am taking time off. They don't even ask any longer. What's funny is I am off next week but not traveling. I'm sure their first words will be "hey, how was Disney? DId you see anything new?"

I think that is what gets me the most....the people that don't realize that every trip is a different experience, at least it is for us. We try different restaurants, see things that we just have not gotten to yet. It is always a new experience.

I have a family member that went and said it was the worst trip they ever took, they'll never do it again, saw EVERYTHING in a week, blah, blah, blah. I asked how much planning they did and she said none. Gotta love those people sometimes....going somewhere new and not even glancing over what they have to offer. I told her that she didn't have to go commando style (like me...hey, I'm a planner), but have a clue as to what you want to see, etc. Guess what, they're going again in September. :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom