Announcement The new WDWMAGIC App for iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Get all the WDWMAGIC content on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch with the brand new release of the WDWMAGIC App.

iphone-ipad.jpg

• New Version - completely rewritten for 2017.
  • Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch.
  • All the latest Walt Disney World news, as and when it happens.
  • Information guide covering every aspect of Walt Disney World including parks, resorts, dining, menus, reviews, tips and more.
  • Quick and easy to use park operating hours, refurbishments and calendars.
  • Thousands of photo galleries and videos from the parks.
  • Access to a lively discussion forum with over 96,000 members and more than 7.5 million posts.
Download_on_the_App_Store_Badge_US-UK_135x40.png

Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

Learn more about the WDWMAGIC app at http://www.wdwmagic.com/articles/17may2017-the-new-wdwmagic-app-for-iphone-ipad-and-ipod-touch.htm

We'd love to hear your feedback and comments, and a review on the App Store would be much appreciated. Enjoy the app!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
A note on support for other platforms.

75% of the users who visit these forums on a mobile device are using iOS.

With iOS being by far the most popular mobile operating system amongst our users, we decided to make iOS compatibility a priority.

Support for a native Android app is under consideration. In the meantime, we have a great performing responsive site that runs well on mobile web browsers and can be accessed from Android devices at http://www.wdwmagic.com.

Last edited:

CJLove79

I'ma call it as I see it, this is BS that you don't have this app for Android when it's the #1 mobile system in the world. There's been more Android devices being purchased than iphones the last couple years. And there's been more people switching from iPhones to Android the last couple years. I'm not suggesting you don't make it for the iOS at all, no, I'm saying that you should've brought the app out for both or even better, stood out from the pack and made it for Android first. Besides, its 2017 people, most people make apps for BOTH mobile OS's now, not one. I'm disappointed but of course there's nothing I can do but just wait for the app to come out. But I just had to vent my frustrations at you guys.

Tony the Tigger

I'ma call it as I see it, this is BS that you don't have this app for Android when it's the #1 mobile system in the world. There's been more Android devices being purchased than iphones the last couple years. And there's been more people switching from iPhones to Android the last couple years. I'm not suggesting you don't make it for the iOS at all, no, I'm saying that you should've brought the app out for both or even better, stood out from the pack and made it for Android first. Besides, its 2017 people, most people make apps for BOTH mobile OS's now, not one. I'm disappointed but of course there's nothing I can do but just wait for the app to come out. But I just had to vent my frustrations at you guys.

That's not reasonable.

This is a small business relying on ad revenue and a small percentage of paid subscriptions. Do you have any idea how expensive it is to have a decent app made? Now double that to do both formats. It's not cost effective.

That's why I haven't done an app for my biz yet.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Did you not read the part where he said that 75% of the people that visit this site are iOS users? Just because there are more junk Android phones out there, doesn't mean it makes financial sense to support it. Unless you wish to pay for the development of the app. Willing to pony up the bucks?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

This is one of the great misconceptions with Android. It may be installed on a far greater number of devices, but the actual usage of Android is not at the same level as iOS.

The only stat that is important to WDWMAGIC is the percentage of iOS and Android users on this site.

From the stats that we gather on users visiting specifically WDWMAGIC, this is the breakdown.

ios-android.jpg

You can see that looking at this, iOS is by far the most used by users on WDWMAGIC. It therefore makes absolute sense to create an iOS app before Android.

Tony the Tigger

Question regarding using the app:

I've been using it since May. (I used to just go to the .com site on my phone or laptop.)

Is there a way to just pick up where you left off after you put the phone down for a few minutes?

For example: I start reading someone's (long) trip report in the app. I get to page 3 and the phone rings, or I have to go to work, etc. The next time I click on the app, I'm back to the home page (whereas if I was on the .com site, I'd pick up right on the same page where I left off and be able to continue reading from there.)

It can take a few minutes to find that trip report again, especially if I don't already know the author - if I even remember to look for it.

I've learned that if I click on the app and then click "forums" and "register" (rather than "new posts") it will take me at least to my usual starting page, that is, the page where I click on "watched threads" to catch up on posts made on watched threads since my last visit.

My typical user habits, and I don't know if these are typical, is to first click on "watched threads," catch up on everything I've already started, and then click on "new posts" to see if anything is interesting and may become a new "watched thread" if I comment on it.

I also just realized there's a "watch" button I've never used (although I frequently use the "unwatch" button) so if I think to do that when I first start reading a thread, I will be able to get back to it by clicking "register" and then "watched threads." However, most threads I read, I do not comment or want to "watch." I read in a bit, figure it's resolved or not interesting, and move on. If I comment on something, it automatically gets "watched," which is fine and how I prefer it.

This is all meant constructively rather than critically. I enjoy the site. If there is already a way to do what I'd like (maybe it has to do with changing time-out session length on my phone?) please let me know. If not, it may be something you want to consider on your next app update, unless you think I'm one of only a few who use the site in this way.

Thanks for reading/"listening."

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Question regarding using the app:

I've been using it since May. (I used to just go to the .com site on my phone or laptop.)

Is there a way to just pick up where you left off after you put the phone down for a few minutes?

For example: I start reading someone's (long) trip report in the app. I get to page 3 and the phone rings, or I have to go to work, etc. The next time I click on the app, I'm back to the home page (whereas if I was on the .com site, I'd pick up right on the same page where I left off and be able to continue reading from there.)

It can take a few minutes to find that trip report again, especially if I don't already know the author - if I even remember to look for it.

I've learned that if I click on the app and then click "forums" and "register" (rather than "new posts") it will take me at least to my usual starting page, that is, the page where I click on "watched threads" to catch up on posts made on watched threads since my last visit.

My typical user habits, and I don't know if these are typical, is to first click on "watched threads," catch up on everything I've already started, and then click on "new posts" to see if anything is interesting and may become a new "watched thread" if I comment on it.

I also just realized there's a "watch" button I've never used (although I frequently use the "unwatch" button) so if I think to do that when I first start reading a thread, I will be able to get back to it by clicking "register" and then "watched threads." However, most threads I read, I do not comment or want to "watch." I read in a bit, figure it's resolved or not interesting, and move on. If I comment on something, it automatically gets "watched," which is fine and how I prefer it.

This is all meant constructively rather than critically. I enjoy the site. If there is already a way to do what I'd like (maybe it has to do with changing time-out session length on my phone?) please let me know. If not, it may be something you want to consider on your next app update, unless you think I'm one of only a few who use the site in this way.

Thanks for reading/"listening."
Thanks for the feedback.

There is currently a 10 minute timeout, where the app will turn to the news listing after 10 minutes of inactivity in the background. This is what you are seeing.

In the next version we will increase that to 60 minutes, which should give enough time to switch to something else, and return to the app to continue reading where you left off.

jrogue

Was just searching to see if there was an Android version ... I see it says here no, but just in case it ever comes under consideration again it would absolutely make my life to be able to get notifications from this site on my phone. (and I don't normally wish for more notifications! :hilarious:)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Was just searching to see if there was an Android version ... I see it says here no, but just in case it ever comes under consideration again it would absolutely make my life to be able to get notifications from this site on my phone. (and I don't normally wish for more notifications! :hilarious:)
We do support push notification from the forum for Android if that helps.

jrogue

We do support push notification from the forum for Android if that helps.

Thanks!

SirWillow

So when do you think an android app might come out? Seeing as iOS only has about 10% more users in the US than android, and in all of Latin America and almost all of Europe (the UK being about the only exception) android controls more than half of the market, you're now at a point where almost half of the site users would be on android.

For what it's worth, I do use the forums on my android phone. :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
So when do you think an android app might come out? Seeing as iOS only has about 10% more users in the US than android, and in all of Latin America and almost all of Europe (the UK being about the only exception) android controls more than half of the market, you're now at a point where almost half of the site users would be on android.

For what it's worth, I do use the forums on my android phone. :)
We base decisions like this on our own stats from real users of WDWMAGIC - not industry averages.

From the stats that we gather on users visiting specifically WDWMAGIC, this is the breakdown.

ios-android.jpg

You can see that looking at this, iOS is by far the most used by users on WDWMAGIC.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom