Trip Report The Never-Ending Summer Of Disney *COMPLETED*

Seriously?!!

Can you believe it??

BC7AE996-5BB5-4770-9C10-F20CE1197633.jpeg

This is jaw-dropping news!!

If only.

Two things in life give me the blues ~ the end of summer and the end of a Disney vacation. A never-ending summer of Disney would be a dream come true! But I am certainly happy to “settle” for a WDW vacay in June....in July....and in August. 😊And rather than write three separate trip reports (and annoy @amjt660 when my *COMPLETED* report really isn’t 😉) I decided to take @Rista1313 ’s suggestion and post an ongoing travelogue, à la @blgauger style.

So let’s get started!

Vacation #1
June 16-24, 2018
Tuvalu, Woody and Em get pampered at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge

Was there rain? Any snarky Cast Members? Ridiculous guest behavior? A Magic meet-up? How many times did we watch Happily Ever After?

You’ll have to follow along to find out.

Spash007

At the risk of getting people in an uproar... I believe parents baby their children too much these days. These poor children are going to become adults who can't function. I think they also use strollers for a couple reasons... if children are in the stroller, they are easier to keep track of... and also if they are in the stroller parents don't have to listen to them whine about being too tired to walk. Kids are kids, they have more energy than adults.... I think we are the ones who get tired!

I agree that some parents do baby their kids too much. However, I also think people tend to judge and criticize a lot more, without be able to know everything going on.

Spash007

[QUOTE="And that is why breaks are so important ~ kids under 5 can’t be expected to be park commandos.
However, I took my three to WDW every year when they were littles. Stroller usage (an umbrella stroller no less) ceased at age 4. Rule was if you were too tired to walk, mom or dad would take you back to the hotel. Funny thing....we never had to do that. But we took breaks while in the parks (to eat, snack or just sit for a few minutes) and never did rope drop to close without a couple hours of pool time mid-day.
Not to mentioned my kids would have been MORTIFIED to ride in a stroller once they were past kindergarten.[/QUOTE]

I went every other year when I was younger, and we had a similar rule. We pretty much just automatically went back to the hotel room every afternoon to relax. But it's hard to compare today's WDW to back then since it is so much bigger with a lot more to do. The additional parks require more walking, and at the same time, with so much to do it takes more time at the park to get everything done. Not everyone has the luxury to go every year or every other year, so just leaving might not be a viable option for a family who spends years' worth of savings on the trip, especially when you take in account the travel time to and from the resort. Who knows, the stroller may be their break time. This way they get a break, without the time to and from the hotel. Maybe the child has a condition that you can't tell by looking. Everyone is just doing their best to try to enjoy their trip. If they're not bumping into you, why judge?

GoofyDadKB

Missing my mind...
Premium Member
Monday, August 27

The doors to our train opened and we were overcome by a STRONG aroma of garlic. GARLIC?!? Yep, it smelled like someone was baking many loaves of garlic bread. The odor followed us from the station to the tapstiles to the train tunnel and onto Main Street. It was most peculiar. Tony’s Italian Restaurant is on Town Square, but it was still breakfast time ~ and I have never encountered a garlic aroma that permeating in all my early mornings at the MK.

Rip Welcome Show

Garlic oil is used for mosquito control. It works great.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Garlic oil is used for mosquito control. It works great.
THANK YOU!! This makes so much sense!!

I went every other year when I was younger, and we had a similar rule. We pretty much just automatically went back to the hotel room every afternoon to relax. But it's hard to compare today's WDW to back then since it is so much bigger with a lot more to do. The additional parks require more walking, and at the same time, with so much to do it takes more time at the park to get everything done. Not everyone has the luxury to go every year or every other year, so just leaving might not be a viable option for a family who spends years' worth of savings on the trip, especially when you take in account the travel time to and from the resort. Who knows, the stroller may be their break time. This way they get a break, without the time to and from the hotel. Maybe the child has a condition that you can't tell by looking. Everyone is just doing their best to try to enjoy their trip. If they're not bumping into you, why judge?
I understand your point of view but ~ with the exception of Animal Kingdom (added in 1998] and the expansion of Fantasyland in 2012 ~ the parks are the same size with the same number of attractions (in some cases now even fewer attractions) than in the 90s when my kids were little. We saved all year for our trips which were less than a week. We stayed on property and relied on the buses. The transport time was part of the experience.

It was rare to see any child of school age in a stroller. If strollers for school aged children weren’t necessary then, why are they now? Yes, there are special-needs exceptions ~ and I am glad Disney is accommodating to these children! I love that Disney is a place where those with special needs receive joy. And because the population has increased greatly, the number of special needs children has also increased, so there are more of them now at Disney.

But not every school age stroller child in the parks has special needs. And that’s what I find problematic. Unnecessary strollers take up space, make getting around difficult, cause injury (I have been bumped and run over countless times) and STEAL JOY from my vacation ~ a vacation I have paid a lot of money for, too.

The “they’re not bothering you” defenders fail to consider the other point of view. I am not accusing (nor judging) you @HaydenHoya. Can we agree to disagree?

Spash007

THANK YOU!! This makes so much sense!!

I understand your point of view but ~ with the exception of Animal Kingdom (added in 1998] and the expansion of Fantasyland in 2012 ~ the parks are the same size with the same number of attractions (in some cases now even fewer attractions) than in the 90s when my kids were little. We saved all year for our trips which were less than a week. We stayed on property and relied on the buses. The transport time was part of the experience.

It was rare to see any child of school age in a stroller. If strollers for school aged children weren’t necessary then, why are they now? Yes, there are special-needs exceptions ~ and I am glad Disney is accommodating to these children! I love that Disney is a place where those with special needs receive joy. And because the population has increased greatly, the number of special needs children has also increased, so there are more of them now at Disney.

But not every school age stroller child in the parks has special needs. And that’s what I find problematic. Unnecessary strollers take up space, make getting around difficult, cause injury (I have been bumped and run over countless times) and STEAL JOY from my vacation ~ a vacation I have paid a lot of money for, too.

The “they’re not bothering you” defenders fail to consider the other point of view. I am not accusing (nor judging) you @HaydenHoya. Can we agree to disagree?

For the record, I do agree with the overall issue - just disagree about particulars. But yep, I'm done taking over your trip report - back to the scheduled programming! :angelic:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, con’t

After exiting Pooh we went to check in for lunch.

Yes, that place.

Turkey + green beans jardiniere + grey stuff = Must Do For Tuvalu

We found a table in the Rose Gallery and Woody went to get our drinks. My seat was facing the beverage area and something looked “off”.

328F7F97-E8F8-4701-80B9-01CCD6557D3B.jpeg

Anyone?

There’s a wall where the beverage dispensers used to be! So where did Woody go, I wondered?

Then I saw him behind the wall.
9140E549-19B9-46DB-89E2-33C4ABA0570C.jpeg

This new wall serves as camouflage for the beverage area.
36CF58C8-38E6-40E6-AC4A-FE4593F2A509.jpeg

C885FED3-F0E4-4A8E-8E44-2B116D04B872.jpeg

I’m guessing the wall was installed to make the Rose Gallery feel more “upscale” since Be Our Guest is now a two-credit meal at dinner.

We shared the turkey sandwich, green beans and a side of fries. We did not share the grey stuff. 😉
69A345FC-F1E0-46F2-A83F-2049CF4FD093.jpeg

7F1A4E74-A688-4ED3-90D6-DEDDD5173653.jpeg

As I was photographing our lunch a CM asked to take our picture.
Ok, sure!

96405C5A-8DE2-4F86-941C-62973BD8F9BA.jpeg

Everything tasted exceptional today and we left full and happy.

MegRuss626

Let’s hippity hop off the rabbit trail of McDonald’s and Chick-Fil-A and return to this evening’s dinner at the California Grill.....

Woody and I had finished our yummy appetizers and were waiting for our entrees when there was a slight commotion in the restaurant. A bride and groom were being led quickly through the dining room and out onto the observation deck behind us. At first I thought perhaps the ceremony was to be conducted outside, but it was only a photography session.

View attachment 315990

View attachment 315987

There was a professional photographer (seen in pic below) with the couple so why the groom thought it was necessary to take cellphone shots of the back of his bride is beyond me.

View attachment 315988

They weren’t outside long and soon made their way out of the restaurant. I wonder what that “shoot” cost. The timing seemed odd since the fireworks weren’t due for awhile and a background of concrete and darkness (with indiscernible lights below) wouldn’t be my preference for wedding photos.

To each their own.....

Our entreés arrived. We both ordered the filet (of course), but I requested no Tamarind barbecue sauce on mine, since I did not care for it when I first had it on my April trip. Gary insisted I have some and brought out a small cup on the side. (Spoiler alert: I did not touch it. Gary may have tried to fool me with the sun dried tomato and oil dip for the bread but I won’t be fooled again. 🎤)

The menu change I wasn’t thrilled with was the sides that now accompany the filet. Formerly the luscious filet sat atop delectable risotto (flavors changed seasonally). Then new chef nixed the risotto in favor of easier-to-prepare mashed potatoes. After a ho-hum beginnning, the mashed potatoes were improved with smoked gouda. To me they were almost as good as the risotto.

Grilled asparagus or al dente thin green beans were always the second side. I love both!

Tonight’s filet was accompanied by “Beef Fat Potatoes, Romano Beans, Grilled Sweet Onions and Tomato.”

View attachment 315989
Otherwise known as “Three Soggy Steak Fries, Bland Pole Beans and an Almost-Raw Onion Slice.”
And do you see a Tomato? Cause I don’t!

In a word ~ Horrid.

My steak did not disappoint, thankfully. Woody wasn’t as critical of the sides because that’s his nature. However the fact that my sides were mostly untouched did not escape Gary’s notice. He asked why and then insisted on bringing me some mashed potatoes even though I politely declined.

View attachment 315991
Why the large pat of butter? Gary must have known these mashed potatoes had no flavor and needed it. Smoked gouda? Gone. I have had tastier mashed potatoes from a box. One forkful and I was done.

When Gary returned to ask if I liked the potatoes, I replied that I was full and couldn’t eat them.

“Well we ALWAYS have mashed potatoes. You can always substitute any side for them.”

Good to know, Gary.

But only if the mashed potatoes improve in taste.

Saw a photo on Instagram today and it made me think of this post....
252E807D-C225-45B3-A1C5-F4063250B61F.png

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We used our 3rd FP to go Under the Sea.

6536A15B-6FFC-463E-A883-64B82A36DE76.jpeg

As soon as we tapped our bands I went into MDE to search for a 4th FP. I was stunned by what I saw.

69720822-1984-44F4-ACAE-59448313E9CC.png

Not a single remaining FP at ANY park?!!? The afternoon had barely begun!

So Woody and I did the Grand Circle Tour (and then some) on the MPB. Woody was wearing his Conductor shirt, after all. 😉

8352B6BC-A7F0-4395-8911-DE19428C8702.jpeg

In Frontierland two women and four boys (between the ages of 8-12) boarded the train. The boys sat on the bench directly in front of us. The women sat on a bench in front of the boys. Before the train began moving one of the moms handed cooling wipes to all the boys. She never bothered to collect them or tell the boys to hold onto them. And boys being boys.......six used wipes were dropped on the floor in front of us. :hungover:

When the train pulled into the Main Street Station for the second time, Woody and I disembarked.

29FF45B1-345C-41D9-AC56-F1186E820C9E.jpeg

6E8EC59A-C798-46C9-B0E9-C5513193FA4C.jpeg

Before leaving the park (since there were no more FPs!) we stopped at Curtain Call Collectibles to pick up a few tsum tsums for Em’s class.

225D00C0-4E55-48EF-9E89-FB8DEE287CEC.jpeg

Mike in his MU cap is my favorite!

Edit: No more FPs ended up being a glitch. Out of curiosity I checked MDE later in the day and found availability at all 4 parks.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
We returned to a cleaned room! 🎉 Woody decided it would be prudent to check his work email. I, on the other hand, changed into swimwear. I had about 40 minutes at the Oasis pool before dark clouds and thunder rolled in. It’s a little bit of a hike to Fiji from the quiet pool and I was fortunate to make it inside before the storm started.

Woody was on a call so I sat on the balcony and watched the rain.

C6771FF3-B81A-40DD-B4EF-EE24B7A6F22F.jpeg

That poor soul didn’t quite make it!
C3BDD990-60E2-436A-B052-C9772CC3EC33.jpeg

The rain lasted 90 minutes. During that time Em called and we chatted about our days. After we hung up, Woody came outside to join me. We both waited for the storm to cease before showering.

What would our evening plans be? Stay tuned.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I’m guessing the wall was installed to make the Rose Gallery feel more “upscale” since Be Our Guest is now a two-credit meal at dinner.

Yes, by all means, hide the peasants' beverage dispensers behind a wall, to bring the restaurant up to a two-credit meal. :facepalm: (That could only be Disney "logic" . . . )

Before the train began moving one of the moms handed cooling wipes to all the boys. She never bothered to collect them or tell the boys to hold onto them. And boys being boys.......six used wipes were dropped on the floor in front of us. :hungover:

And how much do you want to bet that the mother is a fan, of how beautiful and clean the parks are kept? (While her kids dump dirty wipes on the floor and she makes no comment for them to pick them up. :banghead: )

Songbird76

Let’s hippity hop off the rabbit trail of McDonald’s and Chick-Fil-A and return to this evening’s dinner at the California Grill.....

Woody and I had finished our yummy appetizers and were waiting for our entrees when there was a slight commotion in the restaurant. A bride and groom were being led quickly through the dining room and out onto the observation deck behind us. At first I thought perhaps the ceremony was to be conducted outside, but it was only a photography session.

View attachment 315990

View attachment 315987

There was a professional photographer (seen in pic below) with the couple so why the groom thought it was necessary to take cellphone shots of the back of his bride is beyond me.

View attachment 315988

They weren’t outside long and soon made their way out of the restaurant. I wonder what that “shoot” cost. The timing seemed odd since the fireworks weren’t due for awhile and a background of concrete and darkness (with indiscernible lights below) wouldn’t be my preference for wedding photos.

To each their own.....

Our entreés arrived. We both ordered the filet (of course), but I requested no Tamarind barbecue sauce on mine, since I did not care for it when I first had it on my April trip. Gary insisted I have some and brought out a small cup on the side. (Spoiler alert: I did not touch it. Gary may have tried to fool me with the sun dried tomato and oil dip for the bread but I won’t be fooled again. 🎤)

The menu change I wasn’t thrilled with was the sides that now accompany the filet. Formerly the luscious filet sat atop delectable risotto (flavors changed seasonally). Then new chef nixed the risotto in favor of easier-to-prepare mashed potatoes. After a ho-hum beginnning, the mashed potatoes were improved with smoked gouda. To me they were almost as good as the risotto.

Grilled asparagus or al dente thin green beans were always the second side. I love both!

Tonight’s filet was accompanied by “Beef Fat Potatoes, Romano Beans, Grilled Sweet Onions and Tomato.”

View attachment 315989
Otherwise known as “Three Soggy Steak Fries, Bland Pole Beans and an Almost-Raw Onion Slice.”
And do you see a Tomato? Cause I don’t!

In a word ~ Horrid.

My steak did not disappoint, thankfully. Woody wasn’t as critical of the sides because that’s his nature. However the fact that my sides were mostly untouched did not escape Gary’s notice. He asked why and then insisted on bringing me some mashed potatoes even though I politely declined.

View attachment 315991
Why the large pat of butter? Gary must have known these mashed potatoes had no flavor and needed it. Smoked gouda? Gone. I have had tastier mashed potatoes from a box. One forkful and I was done.

When Gary returned to ask if I liked the potatoes, I replied that I was full and couldn’t eat them.

“Well we ALWAYS have mashed potatoes. You can always substitute any side for them.”

Good to know, Gary.

But only if the mashed potatoes improve in taste.
Wow....I have no words. THAT was a signature dining dish? It looks like truck stop fare! I've had better-looking meals at Applebees.

Songbird76

[QUOTE="And that is why breaks are so important ~ kids under 5 can’t be expected to be park commandos.
However, I took my three to WDW every year when they were littles. Stroller usage (an umbrella stroller no less) ceased at age 4. Rule was if you were too tired to walk, mom or dad would take you back to the hotel. Funny thing....we never had to do that. But we took breaks while in the parks (to eat, snack or just sit for a few minutes) and never did rope drop to close without a couple hours of pool time mid-day.
Not to mentioned my kids would have been MORTIFIED to ride in a stroller once they were past kindergarten.

I think part of the issue now is people not being responsible about it. I had my kids in strollers the first time we went, when they were 2 and just barely 4. My oldest walked part of the time, and they both napped in the strollers so we didn't have to leave the parks. But we did our best not to inconvenience others with them. But last year, we went to DLP, and there was a guy who was pushing his wife in a stroller with a kid on her lap, and he was just barrelling through the people. After nearly dumping his family in a puddle by going over a curb, he decided he didn't like the viewing spot for the fireworks, and got back up on the sidewalk by trying to mow THROUGH my daughter. She was 11 at the time, and he literally shoved his stoller up over the curb right where she was standing and she had to jump out of the way so he didn't ram the stroller into her shins. He saw her standing there, and there was one of those little dips in the concrete just a few feet away, where you are MEANT to get on or off the sidewalk, and it was completely free of people, but instead, he headed straight for the line of people, not caring whether he maimed someone or not because he didn't want to walk 3 feet further. I have no problem with people using strollers if it makes their lives easier, but at least be considerate of those around you. You're not going to help your special needs child by crippling someone else.

Spash007

I think part of the issue now is people not being responsible about it. I had my kids in strollers the first time we went, when they were 2 and just barely 4. My oldest walked part of the time, and they both napped in the strollers so we didn't have to leave the parks. But we did our best not to inconvenience others with them. But last year, we went to DLP, and there was a guy who was pushing his wife in a stroller with a kid on her lap, and he was just barrelling through the people. After nearly dumping his family in a puddle by going over a curb, he decided he didn't like the viewing spot for the fireworks, and got back up on the sidewalk by trying to mow THROUGH my daughter. She was 11 at the time, and he literally shoved his stoller up over the curb right where she was standing and she had to jump out of the way so he didn't ram the stroller into her shins. He saw her standing there, and there was one of those little dips in the concrete just a few feet away, where you are MEANT to get on or off the sidewalk, and it was completely free of people, but instead, he headed straight for the line of people, not caring whether he maimed someone or not because he didn't want to walk 3 feet further. I have no problem with people using strollers if it makes their lives easier, but at least be considerate of those around you. You're not going to help your special needs child by crippling someone else.

I couldn't agree with this more. The majority of people I see with strollers are conscientious, and I always feel bad about possibly holding up the bus line, so I undo the stroller ahead of time to try to minimize any inconvenience. I actually found having the stroller sometimes istoo much of a pain, because I'm constantly worried about getting in the way of people. But I also see some people who seemed to have the opinion of "I have a kid in stroller, so I'm more important" or "this stroller makes a good battering ram". Nothing as bad as your story though :eek:. Too bad Disney doesn't make you pass an ethics and responsibility class before entering

NormC

Not to further derail Tuvalu's trip report but my opinion on strollers is once the kids are in kindergarten they no longer need a stroller. Six is a good cutoff age. Of course this does not include those with special needs. There are far too many strollers in the parks these days. I also agree that most are courteous with them and politeness and courtesy goes a long way in my book.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Yes, by all means, hide the peasants' beverage dispensers behind a wall, to bring the restaurant up to a two-credit meal. :facepalm: (That could only be Disney "logic" . . . )
You made me LOL @MinnieM123!

I will pass on the standard debates (strollers, housekeeping, sub standard dining)

Enjoying the rest of the report

Max
But my report would not be complete without some Max snark! 😉😆

Matt and Kelly

I have to laugh because soon as we saw you I kept thinking oh no @Tuvalu is going to see the stroller lol. We have told Lenny this is her last trip in the stroller. Although she is five she only weighs 35lbs so does it make it seem better that she is basically the size of a 3 year old? But I totally agree we saw way too many kids in strollers. And I know that if the child needs a stroller due to a disability you get a tag. And we saw several of non tagged strollers.
Kelly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom